One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-16 07:04:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hotfix incoming

--More dense Eve packing by instant-reusing spring sites for dead Eve lineages.

--Lineage ban now lasts 1.5 hours of living in game, or 3 hours max, even if
  not living in game (used to be 24 hours if not living in game).

--Fixed major array-bounds bug if you die and drop something in a crowded area.

--Babies can now learn other languages that are spoken around them before age 3.

--Babies inherit whatever portion of another language their mother learned
  while she was a baby.  Thus, accents disappear trans-generationally,
  assuming that each new baby is exposed to even more of the language before
  age 3.

Swords can now go in carts, and a glitch with swords in the backpack sheath has been fixed (you can now properly remove the sword by clicking while wearing the backpack).  Also, the thing with eating accidentally when loading food into a full backpack has been fixed.

The language learning is a pretty sophisticated feature.  When you hear a given consonant or vowel cluster as a baby, there's a coin flip to determine whether you learn that cluster or not.  So the first time you hear a phrase, we expect it to be half-clarified for you (compared to your mother, who doesn't understand at all).  However, to prevent repeated phrases from eventually becoming 100% clear due to stacking coin flips (and players spamming phrases to teach you quickly), we prevent additional learning on repeated words until enough other words have come in between (classic spaced repetition learning model).

Thus, if FRIEND maps to FLORE, and you hear it as a baby, you might hear it as FROND the first time you hear it (three clusters, coin flip HTH).  Now, if that person keeps repeating it over and over, you'll hear FROND FROND FROND.

If they say a bunch of other stuff (20 other unique words) in between, though, and then say FRIEND again, there'll be a coin flip for the remaining O, and if it flips heads, then you'll finally hear FRIEND.

However, if you grow to age 3 without hearing it again, you'll hear it as FROND for the rest of your life.  But your babies will automatically inherit that partial understanding from you, and hear FROND too.  But the first time someone says FRIEND around them before age 3, they'll get their own coin flip for the O, and maybe finally hear it as FRIEND themselves.

This happens separately per language, so if you're a baby in a place where people are speaking three languages, you'll be tri-lingual, etc.

And the idea is that the younger generation, which understands the non-native language better, can help translate for the older generation.

But it sill preserves the cool feeling of migrating to another place and never feeling quite at home for the rest of your life, and also struggling to learn the language for real.  It also prevents confusing filter changes across your life (except during the first three years, which is fine, because being a baby is confusing, and you're not old enough to say much back to them anyway).  Once you're 3, your filters solidify, and you can then learn to work with them throughout the rest of your life.

#2 2019-05-16 07:11:04

Tarr
Banned

Re: Hotfix incoming

Language thing is really cool and probably the best change there. Bug fix + lineage ban change also are good things.

Still think the Eve spawn thing needs changes but I guess players just need to make sure to kill a baby then themselves to make sure they don't spawn back to a bad spot.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-05-16 07:17:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What do you mean by kill a baby, then themselves?

The springs are on the normal grid still, all 4 quadrillion of them, so you're still free to wander to a better one if you spawn on a bad spot.

#4 2019-05-16 07:19:24

Tarr
Banned

Oh I thought you were still fooling around with that idea of a single spring per eve thing from the other thread so disregard the killing yourself and baby idea rofl.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-05-16 07:20:45

pein

maybe if eves Die/starve on that spot, then list it as secondary spot? those bad spots wont work 2nd or 3rd time either

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-05-16 09:43:31

Grim_Arbiter

Yessss this is amazing and I support it.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-05-16 10:06:38

Amon

Love it! Maybe we will see language schools in nurseries now? Though 3 seems a bit low to me, 6-7 is more apt with what I remember with children learned just by absorbing.
Nevertheless this is a great adition to the language update.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#8 2019-05-16 10:40:53

threudorf

i realy hate this language-update!

comunication was allready frustrating, when you are not a native speaker!

for example:
too slow, to ask where the pad are, because i wonder "do write "pat", or "ped", or "pad"? -person dead.
or: needing a tool: smithing it by my self, because i dont know the word
or: seeing a newb trying and failing - say nothing, in stead of teaching, because it would be too complicated, and slow to explain

the language-update makes it all worse! worst update ever!

and they are not realistic! in real-life you need 1-10 years to learn a language. that would be 1-10 minutes in the game, not a whole life wasting...

i could explain more, but writing english is too exhausting....

THANK YOU FOR RUIN THE GAME JASON!

#9 2019-05-16 10:47:19

Twisted

threudorf wrote:

i realy hate this language-update!

comunication was allready frustrating, when you are not a native speaker!

for example:
too slow, to ask where the pad are, because i wonder "do write "pat", or "ped", or "pad"? -person dead.
or: needing a tool: smithing it by my self, because i dont know the word
or: seeing a newb trying and failing - say nothing, in stead of teaching, because it would be too complicated, and slow to explain

the language-update makes it all worse! worst update ever!

and they are not realistic! in real-life you need 1-10 years to learn a language. that would be 1-10 minutes in the game, not a whole life wasting...

i could explain more, but writing english is too exhausting....

THANK YOU FOR RUIN THE GAME JASON!

I think you are misunderstanding how language works. Everyone in your family will speak the same language, so during most lives you won't need to figure out what the different words are.

The only time you will encounter a different language is when you leave your town and find another village (or if someone from another town does the same thing).

#10 2019-05-16 11:41:00

threudorf

@twisted:
no i didnt misunderstand it.

its the time when you cant tell a stranger, that she s near your town.

or: when all your familie is killed, because stranger!

or: you dont want to follow the belltower... because stranger.

i mean communication is allready frustrating... and the update makes all worse...

there are allready enough griefers, i dont need racists too!
+i dont want to learn an other language (that will die in some hours), english is allready hard enough.
...so im doomed to stay at my family, no matter if they are stupid or not.
...or be an eremit.... (yes i can survive by my own, but its borring)

technologie is going down... why even build a reciver...
instead eve-camps are poping out and dieing... no iron... and so on...
so a ohol-life becomes even more meaningless... jason was discussing the baby-die-problem. for me its no problem. i just dont care, if my babys ceep dieing anymore...

the baby-hotfix makes the bad a little bit less worse... but an adult can learn a language in some years. so its a stupid game-feature.

by the way: you are twisted from youtube, right? because of your lets-plays i bought this game.
it looked like fun + differtent + ubuntu=means everything for everyone...
i was thinking about making my own lets-plays (in my own language), but now i dont recommend this game anymore.
i miss this part "This game is about playing one small part in a much larger story." and "...players are collectively conducting an enormous project..."... neverending dieing eve-camps and griefing strangers are no story... thats just irritating!

#11 2019-05-16 12:08:10

paulof

threudorf wrote:

@twisted:
no i didnt misunderstand it.

its the time when you cant tell a stranger, that she s near your town.

or: when all your familie is killed, because stranger!

or: you dont want to follow the belltower... because stranger.

i mean communication is allready frustrating... and the update makes all worse...

there are allready enough griefers, i dont need racists too!
+i dont want to learn an other language (that will die in some hours), english is allready hard enough.
...so im doomed to stay at my family, no matter if they are stupid or not.
...or be an eremit.... (yes i can survive by my own, but its borring)

technologie is going down... why even build a reciver...
instead eve-camps are poping out and dieing... no iron... and so on...
so a ohol-life becomes even more meaningless... jason was discussing the baby-die-problem. for me its no problem. i just dont care, if my babys ceep dieing anymore...

the baby-hotfix makes the bad a little bit less worse... but an adult can learn a language in some years. so its a stupid game-feature.

by the way: you are twisted from youtube, right? because of your lets-plays i bought this game.
it looked like fun + differtent + ubuntu=means everything for everyone...
i was thinking about making my own lets-plays (in my own language), but now i dont recommend this game anymore.
i miss this part "This game is about playing one small part in a much larger story." and "...players are collectively conducting an enormous project..."... neverending dieing eve-camps and griefing strangers are no story... thats just irritating!

You are being unfair, not only you have to learn a strange language that will die in a few hours, it's everyone, and english has nothing to do with this, if you have difficulty with english i feel sorry man, i really do, thats not my mother tongue too, but the players are not enough to have servers in every country or to have villages separeted by same language speakers. I respect you don't like it, you are free for that, but take it easy

#12 2019-05-16 15:18:55

threudorf

@paulof:
"You are being unfair, not only you have to learn a strange language that will die in a few hours, it's everyone..."
yes, but if it wasent there no-one would.

some wrote: you dont have to use the sword if you dont like it...
the point is: yes, i dont have to make stuff, i dont like... but with the language i have no choice. thats the reason why i find it so bad.

yes, i gess there are too less people for language-servers...
...but i had an idea... also good against the baby-die: you could choose the conditions, you want to be born... example: male/female, eve/big town, mother with your language, ect.... (but i dont think anyone cares... and there are many ideas outthere...)

#13 2019-05-16 15:48:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The age cut-off is a server setting, so yes, it's 3 currently... could be any age we want.  Maybe 5 is better?  Then, if you're stuck in the nursery, you get a few minutes to walk around afterward and hear even more before it calcifies.

#14 2019-05-16 15:50:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, I upped it to 6 years old.  3 minutes with mom, 3 minutes wandering the village.

#15 2019-05-16 16:10:18

WalrusesConquer

English isn't my first language either, and some people just ignore language. Go away from the town, ignore outsiders - then you wont be forced into it
Just talk to your family I guess

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-05-16 16:11:28)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#16 2019-05-16 16:51:30

JonySky
Website

jajajaj gives me the feeling that I am the worst I speak English here, and I have always said that google translate is my savior! ...
but I've never had a problem communicating with anyone in this game.

I must remind you that most online games are dominated by English speaking and it's just a matter of wanting to be understood

The characteristic of the language is something unique, I do not remember any game that has implemented something similar and I love it!

It's a challenge, it's like creating a plane or a radio, you have to overcome it!

with the last hotfix I can think of many ideas!

Dictionaries must be created now more than ever ... and babies are no longer standing on fire doing nothing ... they are learning (even indirectly)
and that language learning can then be transmitted! Now if we start to have a real family !!!

Now I begin to have a feeling of real family ...

#17 2019-05-16 19:53:54

Joseph Stalin

that language thing is so cool thank you

#18 2019-05-16 19:59:38

doctrzombie

I made a forum account just to express support for this hotfix.
I was having a real tough time learning languages for people especially with the common problem of two eves coming together to share a fertile area-- it was making an already tough situation (not enough food) impossible, but I had hopes that an item or system would be invented that could translate for you instead of having to memorize a new language in 10 minutes tongue

This is great, can't wait to try it out!

#19 2019-05-16 20:22:24

Booklat1

Language learning has 100% changed my thoughts on the mechanic, I really wanna try it

#20 2019-05-16 21:57:03

Amon

Honestly i love the development of this update, just bringing in new languages while ingenious but not quite apt with a 1 hour timescale, giving it a transgenerational impact really makes it fit flawlessly into ohol.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer