One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-05-07 20:54:18

FeignedSanity

Re: Having a child should be a moment of joy... not like getting spam

futurebird wrote:

Jason, here are the results to a survey I did on the die issue from people in this forum. It has about 60 responses. Wanting to go back is up there on the list of reasons.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-LR8F9H6BV/

Yeah, I figured 20% would probably be about the percentage of people that /die for that reason. I would be very much against this "mom-picking screen", personally; as it really goes against what the message of this game. But it is always optional. I just think it would muddy the game, a bit, for the sake of a 20% fix.

I feel like you were closer with the whole "spelunky" thing. I think that's a great example, from an amazing game. I feel like that's more the direction to go in, personally.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#52 2019-05-07 20:55:54

Potjeh

Make it so you can't immediately respawn after you /die. You often use Rust for inspiration, so why not Rust's bag timer? Ie after you're born you get a five minute period in which you can't be born again.

#53 2019-05-07 21:01:35

MultiLife

Dodge wrote:

The main reason /die was added is to not spawn in the same town, but if you get lineage ban by simply dying problem is solved.

Well yeah but /die was added so moms wouldn't get a cooldown from getting suicidal babies through their fertile years. And so they don't keep rolling the same suicidal baby.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-05-07 21:11:02)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#54 2019-05-07 21:06:25

futurebird

Potjeh wrote:

Make it so you can't immediately respawn after you /die. You often use Rust for inspiration, so why not Rust's bag timer? Ie after you're born you get a five minute period in which you can't be born again.

This seems fair too. But if the timer is too long people will go back to running a starving which is worse.

That's the issue with any penalty for using /die.

Though, something like this would stop me because I can't stand running or starving.

A lot of the people on the pool are using /die to change gender, and to avoid large towns and of course to get to be eve.

Simple fix: if you use /die to much you will NEVER be Eve for 24 hours. Her kid? maybe, but make it so if you /die more than 3 times in an hour you are locked out of Eveing for a bit. Give it to some of the people who aren't being picky and playing the game more correctly IMO.

(to stop the run-n-die give Eve a minimum average age from her last 3 lives of like 25 or 30. So there would be no easy hack to get to be Eve. People are doing it just so they can name everyone "JO" we all know it's true. )

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-07 21:08:09)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#55 2019-05-07 21:16:32

Turnipseed

For me i use /die to pick a life i feel like playing.

I usually only have time to play one good life, and i dont wanna waste it.

Sometimes i dont mind tending berrys and composting, but sometimes i want to be born to an eve for a bit of challenge. Sometimes i wanna raise kids, sometimes i wanna play an adam run and ry to reach the bell.

So when i play im picky. Sometimes i play on the weekend, and if i have plenty of time i just go with the flow. No reason to be picky just spice it up.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#56 2019-05-07 21:48:19

Potjeh

futurebird wrote:

This seems fair too. But if the timer is too long people will go back to running a starving which is worse.

That's the issue with any penalty for using /die.

I misspoke. I meant you can't respawn for five minutes no matter how you died, /die or starvation/animal.

#57 2019-05-07 21:51:45

CatX

What if you had the option to open a 'birth preference' page before you hit the 'login' button.

Questions could be which gender do you want, which generation (1-4, 5-9 etc), mother's yum, maybe even mother in close proximity to a well, a loom, a car, mother with no murder bodies nearby...

The catch would be that the more boxes you check, the longer you have to wait to be born. Players who don't have any preferences get their mothers selected randomly, and they enter the queue before players who are very specific.

That way, you could either get born very quickly, but you have no idea where you end up, or you have to wait longer while the system searches for a suitable mother.

#58 2019-05-07 21:51:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Great survey.  I wish Survey Monkey would let me sort the results by biggest-first.  Can't figure out how to do that.

#59 2019-05-07 22:17:22

stephofd

jasonrohrer wrote:

Ugg... the pregnancy preview thing is a lot of work (new protocol, lots of room for bugs, etc.), and I'm not even sure if it would solve the problem, and it could be annoying (yet even MORE time where you really can't do anything before you play the game as a baby), and it would be a pretty huge change to a pretty great part of the game for new players (popping into existence as a screaming baby).

I don't understand why you think abruptly popping into existence is a great experience for new players. For youtubers maybe, but just the average new player? This has always been my least favorite part of game. I get so anxious, staring at the "waiting to be born" screen. It actually makes it harder for me to want to play.

It's not that I want to choose where I'm born: I never use /die because I like the randomness. I just don't like being abruptly thrown into a multiplayer game surrounded by other players who weren't expecting me.

Is this just me? Do other players enjoy this aspect of the game?

#60 2019-05-07 22:19:49

Twisted

stephofd wrote:

I just don't like being abruptly thrown into a multiplayer game surrounded by other players who weren't expecting me.

Is this just me? Do other players enjoy this aspect of the game?

I personally enjoy it, it's a brief moment of slight chaos for both the child and the mother. For me it's fun both when I'm the child and the mother.

#61 2019-05-07 22:26:21

futurebird

I'm not a huge fan of my mom having no warning about me. It would be so neat to be born by a mom who was... you know *expecting*

---
omnem cibum costis

#62 2019-05-07 22:59:35

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

So... I've got a pregnant belly drawn, just in case I ever want to do it....  but for now, I'm going to table it.

futurebird wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of my mom having no warning about me. It would be so neat to be born by a mom who was... you know *expecting*

Old idea I never brought up: could the server periodically figure out the woman most likely to give birth next, and notify them, so the client shows a pregnant effect. Could get weird with lots of "miscarriages" as the top player goes in and out. But at least you would tend to get a little warning, and it might make it easier to observe how temp and yum affect you.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#63 2019-05-07 23:18:47

Spoonwood

Twisted wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

This is a game that is supposedly, fundamentally, about not picking where you are born.

I have grown weary of you telling this fiction over and over again.  No, the game overall doesn't work that way.

Yes, it does work that way. That's one of the main draws of the game.

The fact that you mostly play a multiplayer game on what is essentialy a private single player server doesn't magically change what the game is for most 'standard' players.

Did you keep reading Twisted?  There exist people with multiple accounts who play on bigserver2.  They CAN pick to play the same spot more than one life.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#64 2019-05-07 23:22:21

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:

I like the idea that you get a preview of your life, can't die, just have to watch for a bit, then you would have a window where you could die before being born maybe?

It's a bad idea with current mechanics as they stand otherwise.  Some people want to play as Eve, and if they have to wait, their experience with the game ends up ruined or seriously held back.  I'm not Eve Jo, but I imagine that player would have been screaming at such a proposed change not too long ago, if not now also.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#65 2019-05-07 23:31:50

futurebird

I'm kinda annoyed with Eve Jo and others who use up all the chances to be Eve. TBH. I would like to be Eve now and then too, as would many players who never ever use /die. But right now if you use /die enough you basically get a reward if you want to play as Eve. I think it's part of why there is so much of it going around.

---
omnem cibum costis

#66 2019-05-08 02:33:18

BladeWoods

I usually slash die if my mother is eve or the town is very early. Just prefer the bigger variety of at least mid-level or advanced towns.
I also slash die if I see a terrible stone building. And I often slash die if I'm born male and I see the town could use a girl. So I guess I'm part of the slash die problem.

If it's a big new vs veteran player thing, then there could be some ability you gain after living to 60 some number of times.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-05-08 02:47:21)

#67 2019-05-08 03:10:24

Tarr
Banned

Potjeh wrote:

No offense but that really just encourages running. You want /die to be the preferred option as you want to make sure moms get their cooldown back instead of all your babies running away and double screwing you. Whenever /die looks like an unattractive option you just up the amount of babies dying in the wilderness which helps with the bone problem but still screws the mom.

futurebird wrote:

I'm kinda annoyed with Eve Jo and others who use up all the chances to be Eve. TBH. I would like to be Eve now and then too, as would many players who never ever use /die. But right now if you use /die enough you basically get a reward if you want to play as Eve. I think it's part of why there is so much of it going around.

I hate to be that guy but there probably has to be some limitation on Eves based off server population. It's not exactly viable to have 10+ families with 80ish people on the server at off hours. However, you're just going to have to /die if you want to play Eve. Otherwise there's always going to be someone on the server either wanting or needing babies and you'll end up there instead of as a brand new eve. Hard to just let everyone be Eve without busting a bunch of families up overtime.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Or maybe we need to get back to some way for veteran players to control where they are reborn in-game.  Maybe it's as simple as dying of old age in a family puts that family at the top of your list when you respawn after your lineage ban is over.  I'm thinking specifically about futurebird using DIE to come back to a family later.  Is that the main source of DIE, generally?  People waiting 90 minutes and then trying to return?

I would KILL to be able to just take a break and come back to a village to keep playing at a later point in the day. As of right now my options for playing in the same village multiple days are as followed:

-Do gamey death tricks to suicide at break points to skip under the area ban timer. This is something I only ever did as Eve but with the area ban I can just walk far enough to get through the area ban.
-Have someone walk out of the village and birth me. This is a little annoying for another players as they'd probably rather be doing stuff rather than doing me a favor though I can just do this on a second account if I really wanted.
-Play my second account for another hour. This is generally what I do when I REALLY want to play a second life in a place. I find it more fun to build up and try to design something other than a basic building or outpost than I do trying to fit in a bunch of tiny projects.
-Play for an hour and a half to have the ability to play in an area again. What this really means is I'm playing three hours (since I'm not killing myself early) to be able to earn the fourth hours life in the first town I played in. This is just not reasonable in most cases as I don't really feel like playing OHOL four hours a day every day lel.

I do think the time played in lineages should just be swapped to real time to allow casual players to play in a village after a break and to just in general encourage taking a break from the game instead of grinding it out to get back to playing in a town you like.

fug it’s Tarr.

#68 2019-05-08 08:09:42

breezeknight

yeah,
why i hate to be female in OHOL, it's a curse, DT is probably better hmm

& being an Eve ? only noobs & discord players want to be Eve
i don't, there is NOTHING positive about being an Eve
so far ALL of the families i founded are dead & forgotten, & as the game plays, every consequent will as well, it's punishment for playing, not reward for putting up with it

- - -

#69 2019-05-08 10:35:53

Potjeh

Tarr wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

No offense but that really just encourages running. You want /die to be the preferred option as you want to make sure moms get their cooldown back instead of all your babies running away and double screwing you. Whenever /die looks like an unattractive option you just up the amount of babies dying in the wilderness which helps with the bone problem but still screws the mom.

No, as I explained in follow-up post, it's not just for /die, it's for death from any cause.

#70 2019-05-08 16:59:11

Buggy

The only changes I would want to the slash die option is to make the sids baby bones decay instantly instead of cluttering up the towns. Also picking up a baby the first time should be free (not cost a hunger pip). I don't want kids who don't want to play in my village, forcing them to stay won't make the town a better place they will find another way to leave.

#71 2019-05-08 17:25:36

DestinyCall

Tarr wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Or maybe we need to get back to some way for veteran players to control where they are reborn in-game.  Maybe it's as simple as dying of old age in a family puts that family at the top of your list when you respawn after your lineage ban is over.  I'm thinking specifically about futurebird using DIE to come back to a family later.  Is that the main source of DIE, generally?  People waiting 90 minutes and then trying to return?

I would KILL to be able to just take a break and come back to a village to keep playing at a later point in the day. As of right now my options for playing in the same village multiple days are as followed:

-Do gamey death tricks to suicide at break points to skip under the area ban timer. This is something I only ever did as Eve but with the area ban I can just walk far enough to get through the area ban.
-Have someone walk out of the village and birth me. This is a little annoying for another players as they'd probably rather be doing stuff rather than doing me a favor though I can just do this on a second account if I really wanted.
-Play my second account for another hour. This is generally what I do when I REALLY want to play a second life in a place. I find it more fun to build up and try to design something other than a basic building or outpost than I do trying to fit in a bunch of tiny projects.
-Play for an hour and a half to have the ability to play in an area again. What this really means is I'm playing three hours (since I'm not killing myself early) to be able to earn the fourth hours life in the first town I played in. This is just not reasonable in most cases as I don't really feel like playing OHOL four hours a day every day lel.

I do think the time played in lineages should just be swapped to real time to allow casual players to play in a village after a break and to just in general encourage taking a break from the game instead of grinding it out to get back to playing in a town you like.

Yes.    I want this too. 

I almost never see the same village again, even if I'm the daughter of an eve, because the average line dies out in forty eight hours and the lineage ban locks me out of revisiting the same family for too long.    I don't mind needing to take a break between lives in the same lineage, but it needs to be real time, not game time.

Board footer