One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-02 03:16:33

Stylingirl

Re: Total Lifetime curse score system is bad and harms veteran players.

hmrka wrote:

Im not talking about ending up in donkey town, im talking about lifetime curse score which is a broken system. slowly you'll have to be more and more and more careful, eventually you won't be able to react to griefing because of fear of getting the three curses and staying in donkey town for 5 hours.

According to the graph by Jason, about 20 players total have enough curses in their total score to be in Donkey town for five hours. Maybe eventually Jason will either subtract a specific number from everyone's scores or add it to the requirements for Donkey Town, but currently there just aren't enough people that fall into that category for this to even be an issue right now.

#27 2019-05-02 04:05:55

Whatever

Why does jason punish people who play his game the most?
I am glad i dont play that often and dont have such a high life time curse score.

#28 2019-05-02 07:31:22

ruanna

In support of Kilian - as far as I know he did one major act of griefing to accumulate curses and after that completely reformed, often posts pictures of gardens and nice things he builds in the discord.

#29 2019-05-02 08:18:15

pein

lets look at who is cursed: well known players
mirelli is there with a quite high score, i don't see how she can be cursed, she is the sweetest person ever, the only thing i can see: gonna kill the griefers and in reward they curse her

i don't see why i need 4 hours for one life when others serve 1 for killing a lineage
oh wait, dead kids don't curse
group griefers and butthurt teenagers curse
framers in discord campaigns curse

my kill rate dropped a lot and people still butthurt, what kind of trend we talking about? this both punishes and keeps track after you served "sentence"

yeah you welcome, i made the most working cities, quite a few meta tricks and i kill the most bad eggs

most common reasons why people curse: others don't let them rob them and kill them
every single griefer runs to city center to get healed and curses the one who stab them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#30 2019-05-02 13:31:09

hmrka

Wow, so its not a problem because not enough people are affected by it YET? Nice. Guess i'll have to wait a few months.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#31 2019-05-02 15:59:04

Stylingirl

hmrka wrote:

Wow, so its not a problem because not enough people are affected by it YET? Nice. Guess i'll have to wait a few months.

Yes, that is exactly the point. You're all complaining that people have been set to Donkey Town for various murders and misunderstandings, but that is how the game is played. You don't get to do whatever you want with zero consequence, maybe take a step back and try to understand why they cursed you. Curses and unavoidable and if you don't want to be at risk, ask someone else to murder the griefer so you're not exposing yourself to potential murder or curses. Just because the curse system doesn't perfectly filter out griefers, which some people have different definitions of what is and isn't griefing, doesn't mean we should start giving free passes out to a dozen players just because they play a lot.

#32 2019-05-02 16:20:38

Psykout

Stylingirl wrote:
hmrka wrote:

Yes, that is exactly the point. You're all complaining that people have been set to Donkey Town for various murders and misunderstandings, but that is how the game is played. You don't get to do whatever you want with zero consequence, maybe take a step back and try to understand why they cursed you. Curses and unavoidable and if you don't want to be at risk, ask someone else to murder the griefer so you're not exposing yourself to potential murder or curses. Just because the curse system doesn't perfectly filter out griefers, which some people have different definitions of what is and isn't griefing, doesn't mean we should start giving free passes out to a dozen players just because they play a lot.

I see where you are coming from on the zero consequences. Even if you only get cursed when killing griefers you at some point become a martyr. But, five hours is a lot for long term accumulated curses. I'd say that if the curses are spread out and just pass the threshold a 1 hour trip, one life, would be better. If the curses have been gained all within a short amount of time, and you have recently been in donkey town, you will have a much longer stay.

#33 2019-05-02 16:26:02

Chard

I agree with Stylin about the whole actions have consequences side of things. But it does seem unsustainable.

As an alternative approach what if there were blessings as well as curses. Blessings could make your speech bubble steadily shinier for your current life and would serve as an indication that people in the community appreciate what you've been doing. If you die with several blessings (and maybe haven't been cursed during your life?) then your lifetime curse score decreases.

I know it seems rough around the edges but I think it has potential.

#34 2019-05-02 16:47:44

hmrka

Looks like some people think changing the total curse score system will somehow help griefers, but it wont. I believe that players with few hours and a lot of curses should get punished more than those who play a lot. Changing the system literally won't affect normie players.

Also for the blessed sugesstion, I feel like it was proposed to jason many times? I don't think he's a fan of it.

I just want the broken lifetime curse scores to be fixed...

#35 2019-05-02 17:11:12

futurebird

What is wrong with removing curses from the life time score at a rate of 2 or 3 per 100 hours played? It would help the small number of people who have this issue. Not help people who have really huge numbers of curses and keep other players from getting in the sample pickle.

It's simple and roughly based on the data, though Jason never did say if there was an error in the scatter plot or not.

(side note this thread inspired this question for the stats stack exchange.  https://stats.stackexchange.com/questio … 60_406128)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#36 2019-05-02 17:59:41

Tipy

It is not a problem YET is not a good argument. Tell me how changing the systen will it punish normall people? The idea is that after 3-4 hours of not getting cursed you will losse one of your lifetime curses so a good player can get redeemed and a griefer will not be able cuz if he keeps griefing he will get cursed. But I hear you say ''wHaT aBoUt SiLeNt GrIeFeRs'' well if one is a silent griefer he won't get cursed enough anyways to have a big life time curse score and in the end isn't it better to let a criminal get away one time than placing an innocent person behind bars?

Last edited by Tipy (2019-05-02 18:01:29)

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#37 2019-05-02 18:54:52

futurebird

Tipy wrote:

It is not a problem YET is not a good argument. Tell me how changing the systen will it punish normall people? The idea is that after 3-4 hours of not getting cursed you will losse one of your lifetime curses so a good player can get redeemed and a griefer will not be able cuz if he keeps griefing he will get cursed.

One curse for every 3-4 hours of play is a much higher rate of cursing than the data Jason posted suggest. That data suggest a rate of  about .08 curses every 3 hours is AVERAGE. So, half of players are below that!

If you are being cursed every 3-4 hours (based on the data Jason posted) you are being cursed much more often than the average player and maybe should look at your play style.

I do agree that we need for curses to decay. But at a rate more like 1 curse every 30 hours, not 3!

---
omnem cibum costis

#38 2019-05-02 19:16:57

CatX

Maybe we don't need blessings. It could be a pure game mechanic: If you have a high curse score, but you haven't been cursed for a while (X amount of time), then if you're in a family that survives for a while (Y amounts of generations) after you spent time there, your curse score will decrease.

It makes it a bit random perhaps whether the curse score decreases, but it gives cursed people an opportunity to work actively to reduce their scores.

Just an idea.

#39 2019-05-02 20:22:15

futurebird

CatX wrote:

Maybe we don't need blessings. It could be a pure game mechanic: If you have a high curse score, but you haven't been cursed for a while (X amount of time), then if you're in a family that survives for a while (Y amounts of generations) after you spent time there, your curse score will decrease.

It makes it a bit random perhaps whether the curse score decreases, but it gives cursed people an opportunity to work actively to reduce their scores.

Just an idea.

Make it based on average number of grandkids who live to 30 per female life. You have to BEAT the server average by say 50 percent. Every time you do that you drop 1/3 of a curse.  So, in theory you could work one curse off in 3 hours just like some of you want... but you gotta have *skill* and get those grandkid. That's how you work off curses.

Since you would do better than average randomly from time to time it would slowly reduce the score, or you could work at it and drive it down faster.

---
omnem cibum costis

#40 2019-05-02 22:49:00

hmrka

Jason, please don't ignore this issue...

its true, not that many people are affected by it, but those who are - they are the most dedicated players. It's sad that you dont listen to your community.

I'm not asking for something ridiculous like "remove curse scores" or "remove lifetime curse scores", I'm asking to make lifetime curse scores be able to decay after some hours of not getting cursed.

#41 2019-05-03 06:29:04

pein

no, not what i said

people got  tool which they use for roleplay reasons
curse the player who having a beef with your griefer mother

doesn't cost anything
insta goes to punish so people can get back at you with it

lets say you could mark someone for curse then the second curse would apply cause someone agrees with you

you cant lsoe anything for cursing, or for convincing to curse
if you yourself would get half the curse for marking others, people would really talk about it that does it worth cursing him when i didn't even seen what happened?

overall i don't think people are objective
this shit throwing at each other just hurts everyone

and there is no defense against people who came at you , get angry for bullshit reasons and frame you
latest change is good this way, you go and die and let them bicker
people who spend 30 min with framing others got serious issues
if i got a problem i solve it or ignore but surely wont spend 30 min arguing and complaining

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#42 2019-05-03 16:44:09

DestinyCall

I can see how this problem would get worse over time, although I doubt that it would ever effect more than a handful of hard-core players.   That group will always be pretty small, since most people will eventually get bored and move on to other games eventually.    Even if the game is still going strong in ten years, I doubt the player base will be the same.   This will probably only really benefit a small subset of the community that gets cursed more then average AND plays for a very long time AND isn't an active griefer.   Most players will never accumulate that many random curses over their entire playtime OR earn their high lifetime curse score and deserve the punishment.

I think letting the curse decay very slowly (or using a value that divides lifetime curse score by hours played instead of the raw lifetime curse value) would be reasonable, but it should DEFINITELY be a long and slow process.   Futurebird's suggested idea of losing one curse point every 30 hours (or more) sounds about right.     If you rack up 50 curses, it should take a long time to get rid of that curse burden and fall back to a normal curse threshold.    Peaceful dedicated players who have played for a long time and continue to play many hours each day will be able to wipe their record clean because they should only be picking up a few random curses, here and there.   But people who draw a lot of bad attention quickly will be marked and need to work much harder and longer to remove the penalty, which is only fair.

#43 2019-05-04 02:53:09

hmrka

Maybe the less hours played you have the harder it should be to redeem yourself? So let's say, someone whose score is 100, and his time played is just 300 hours, has a MUCH slower rate of his curses burning off than someone with 1500 hours and 50 curses.

I've noticed some griefers and non griefers keep thinking this change would somehow be in favor of griefers, but it's not. Unless you think all people who play this game a lot are griefers.

I don't know how hard it is to implement a change like that, but I still am hopeful.

Board footer