One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-01 14:34:05

hmrka

Total Lifetime curse score system is bad and harms veteran players.

Like the title says, Just ask around, a lot of people agree that after a long time of receiving no curses it should go back to normal by one number (for example from 3 to 4), and not stay permanent. Jason I know you're saying curse is just a stop-gap but the system is broken and needs to be fixed.

Thought I'd make a topic about this because I know most people agree, and since bug fixes are comming this week I'm hoping you'll do something about it. It's not a popular and known issue because very few people have over 1000 hours played...

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#2 2019-05-01 14:52:41

Booklat1

Re: Total Lifetime curse score system is bad and harms veteran players.

very few players are actually affected by this, we dont need changes to curses every focken update

#3 2019-05-01 14:58:52

Whatever

Booklat1 wrote:

very few players are actually affected by this, we dont need changes to curses every focken update

Yes only the people who play the game the most. They are not important.

#4 2019-05-01 15:23:12

Turnipseed

Ehh ive gotten cursed a bunch never been sent to d town im sure if i do get sent ill be there a long time

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#5 2019-05-01 16:10:38

hmrka

Booklat1 wrote:

Yes, believe it or not, not many people have over 1000 hours. But of course, dedicated player's opinions dont matter...smh.

#6 2019-05-01 16:28:50

Booklat1

And how often do you get cursed into DT? I've been pilling curses since they were added too, even got gang cursed few times and never got sent.

Sure, im not everyone but even among older players this isnt affecting most people. The amount of time Jason spends on tweaking curses is already huge, some changes are good just not every update.

#7 2019-05-01 16:46:27

futurebird

I think a slow decay for life-time curses is reasonable. But, very slow.

I also think that if you have a lot of curses even if you play a lot part of it MUST be you in game choices. For example:
-being jude jury executioner for griefers without talking to anyone else in town.
-being rude to people in the game so when you kill a griefer no matter how justified it is people blame you
-killing because people annoy you, people who may not be malicious at all but who are just new or playing badly

I've played a ton of hours in a very short time and have only two curses. One made no sense at all the other, was a case of me not communicating well why I was going after this guy.

I could see how over time they could pile up, and that could be bad if I stumble in to a swarm of curses. But, from what I've seen that doesn't happen out of nowhere.

I mean this kind of feels like "I used to stab people who annoyed me and now I can't without getting cursed" and to that I'm like "well duh that's the point of the system"

Just because you kill a bad actor doesn't mean you helped the town if you did it in a way that scared people and caused confusion.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-05-01 16:47:47

futurebird

One other idea: what if mutual curses canceled each other out? So if I curse you, and you curse me back we both loose our curse token BUT neither of us has an increased lifetime scored. This would help with when you kill a griefer the town supports you, but they curse you before they die.

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-05-01 16:51:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Lemme run the data and make a scatter plot for you.

#10 2019-05-01 16:56:08

DestinyCall

I like the lifetime curse penalty.  There should be some kind of cumulative penalty for getting cursed often over a longer period of time.   As a veteran player, you understand the game and how to play, so it should be easier for you to avoid getting cursed during normal play.  But a veteran griefer can get away with murder (literally or figuratively) much more easily since they understand the game well enough to avoid getting cursed.   A lower threshold lets you send an experienced griefer away and also holds veteran players to a higher standard.   

I wouldn't mind if the lifetime curse score was divided by hours played.  That would allow someone to play peacefully to lower the penalty over time and reduce the pressure on people who play the game a huge amount, but I don't think the current system is that bad.   Having a high curse burden shouldn't have a significant negative impact unless you are frequently upsetting groups of people.  Otherwise, the curses just sit there doing nothing.

#11 2019-05-01 17:47:38

futurebird

Kinda more excited than anyone should be about the scatter plot. LOL.

---
omnem cibum costis

#12 2019-05-01 17:57:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, here's the full scatterplot for 40,000 players who have been seen by the curse system (basically, everyone who played the game since the curse system was added).

Hours played on the X axis, total curse score on the Y axis.  Green line is the linear model of best fit as found by Gnuplot:

BPOI1OS.png

A small positive correlation.

Of course, this plot is totally swamped by all the people with low curse scores.  You can see the outliers, though.

Let's look at people for whom the rubber has met the road, curse-wise.  Those with lifetime scores 55 or over.  At that point, their curse threshold goes down to 6, and they server 3 hours every time.  Here's a plot of just that segment of the population:

u6khsiU.png

Again, a small positive correlation.  But the biggest cluster is still people who haven't played that long who have racked up the curses.

#13 2019-05-01 18:22:52

Whatever

So Tarr has a curse score of around 60 and morti has maybe 80,
i wonder who the person with 240 is lol

#14 2019-05-01 18:34:08

futurebird

It suggests removing  .027 curses per hour played or 2.7 curses removed for every 100 hours.
Let's be nice and round up, for every 100 hours played remove 3 curses. This is assuming that the trend line is "normal accumulation" But, I would remove outliers personally first. So, maybe a more conservative 2 curses per 100 hours would be fair.

But really you should be getting cursed less and less often the more that you play. IMO. 

So REALLY remove some form of e^{-kx} curses and fit it to the roughly decreasing exponential drop off along the density boundary in the scatter plot.

edit:
Never mind ...the number to remove per 100 hours is so small that doing something fancy like that is silly.

I would say do this:

For the first 500 hours you get 2 curses removed per 100 hours played. After that, you get 1 curse removed per 100 hours.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-01 18:45:46)

---
omnem cibum costis

#15 2019-05-01 18:54:55

Whatever

@jason the graph shows peoples play time and their curses, but people could have played before the curse system started.
i also heard that you once reset all the life time curse scores.

#16 2019-05-01 18:57:23

futurebird

Whatever wrote:

@jason the graph shows peoples play time and their curses, but people could have played before the curse system started.

This wouldn't have much effect on the slope, that is, the average rate of curse accumulation based on a linear trend.

---
omnem cibum costis

#17 2019-05-01 19:23:59

Tarr
Banned

Oof I could have been under that 55 limit if I didn't do that impromptu apocalypse.

Or better yet Jason didn't move everyone to S1 during my attempt. Oh well, I think 60~ in 1700 isn't too bad and if I'm getting cursed nearly once in every 30 hours I can't complain too much about my curse score.

fug it’s Tarr.

#18 2019-05-01 19:25:56

Whatever

futurebird wrote:
Whatever wrote:

This wouldn't have much effect on the slope, that is, the average rate of curse accumulation based on a linear trend.

Example:

Player A:
played 50 hours before the curse system started and 50 hours after - overall 100 hours
got 10 curses

Player B:
played 0 hours before the curse system started and 50 hours after - overall 50 hours
got 5 curses

wrong:
10/100 = 0.1
5/50 = 0.1
average = 0.1 <----

correct:
10/50 = 0.2
5/50 = 0.1
average = 0.15 <----

#19 2019-05-01 19:31:44

futurebird

If we use "remove 3 curses for every 100 hours of play" that would reduce Tarr's score by 51. I do think there is a such thing as "randomly being cursed" and the longer you play the more it happens. But, the people with very high curse scores won't be helped much by such a linear reduction.

I do think 3 is a bit high. The rate is 2.7 curses/ 100 hours, and that included outliers and the spike near 25-50 hours which I think makes up the bulk of "run of the mill" griefers.

Personally, I'd go with 2 per 100 hours. So:

life time curse score = (number of curses received) - .02*hours played

---
omnem cibum costis

#20 2019-05-01 19:34:28

hmrka

Honestly.. I don't mind the time it would take. redemption should be hard, but not impossible (like it is now)

#21 2019-05-01 20:00:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

No one has 240 curse points.

That's the "dot" in the legend in the upper right corner.

#22 2019-05-01 20:13:50

futurebird

Whatever wrote:
futurebird wrote:
Whatever wrote:

Example:

Player A:
played 50 hours before the curse system started and 50 hours after - overall 100 hours
got 10 curses

Player B:
played 0 hours before the curse system started and 50 hours after - overall 50 hours
got 5 curses

wrong:
10/100 = 0.1
5/50 = 0.1
average = 0.1 <----

correct:
10/50 = 0.2
5/50 = 0.1
average = 0.15 <----

You aren't looking  linear regression. You are just ...averaging the average rates which isn't the same thing at all. But, if some of the data are wrong and "hours played" is just total hours played and some subset of the players had their scores reset while others didn't then the chart is wrong and the regression needs to be done again using "hours played since the reset."

If getting hours played since the reset is hard, just sample new players. Look at people who joined after the reset only. Not a great way to sample but it should give a rough number for rate of increase.

Was the reset before or after Steam?
What percentage of players are we talking about here?

---
omnem cibum costis

#23 2019-05-01 21:12:01

hmrka

Still hoping for a fix

#24 2019-05-01 23:23:53

Bob 101

Innocent people don't end up in donkey town.

#25 2019-05-01 23:56:20

hmrka

Bob 101 wrote:

Innocent people don't end up in donkey town.

Im not talking about ending up in donkey town, im talking about lifetime curse score which is a broken system. slowly you'll have to be more and more and more careful, eventually you won't be able to react to griefing because of fear of getting the three curses and staying in donkey town for 5 hours.

Board footer