One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-22 23:23:14

Booklat1

Top reddit suggestions are storage related

I think its clear to anyone that storage rox and clutter sux, but look at how many suggestions and upvotes we got about it, some even repeated

General storage

canvox's more storage: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … e_storage/

Furniture/item storage

futurebird's toolracks: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ck_please/
noobizon's furniture: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … furniture/
my own furniture suggestion: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … furniture/

precisenice's dining table: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ing_table/
poxsyn's table's: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … sr/tables/

Resource storage

shwinty's sacks: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … tatoesetc/
left4twenty wheat bags: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … lourseeds/

himitsugato's barrels:https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/comments/bathfo/barrels_a_solution_to_the_clutter_and_storage/

Can we get jason to do some of these?

#2 2019-04-22 23:50:51

breezeknight

Re: Top reddit suggestions are storage related

then let's talk about the ressources needed to build storage objects

if Jason makes more storage objects dependend on milkweed, then the already streched thin milkweed situation will become unbearable

& the next problem with storage objects just lurks around the corner, wood shortage

since reed was nerfed by decay it has become a problem, one has to use straw to make baskets, which then if used additionally to the compost production will produce an excess of flour, same as the clothing produced now an excess of poop

therefore
i still think the same
all things which are used in big amounts or regularly have to be stackable as a rule
& additionally a multi-pile with up to 10 different things to put into them
both solutions would reduce clutter immedietly, as sackable carrots did & would not be needing any additional ressources
once additional storage objects are introduced, those would be an orderly alternative to stacks, therefore not producing the problems described above

but i suppose people suggesting new objects to craft just want craft more stuff without any consideration for the problems produced
those seem to them to be only a negligible afterthought hmm

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-22 23:51:18)

#3 2019-04-22 23:53:12

Booklat1

breezeknight wrote:

& the next problem with storage objects just lurks around the corner, wood shortage

since reed was nerfed by decay it has become a problem, one has to use straw to make baskets, which then if used additionally to the compost production will produce an excess of flour, same as the clothing produced now an excess of poop

- - -

just plant pines ffs

im trying to actually give us reasons to spend resources here

if people want trade we'll have to make resouces matter, lets at the very least see what happens if wood becomes more important

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-04-22 23:55:21)

#4 2019-04-22 23:57:49

breezeknight

yeah, let us just head towards the next disaster, it will be fun

- - -

#5 2019-04-23 00:01:16

Booklat1

breezeknight wrote:

yeah, let us just head towards the next disaster, it will be fun

- - -

YES it absolutely will, this isnt habbo hotel

also, people arent forced to build storage if wood is low and like I said, trees can be planted, roads can be built to wood areas, we're far faaar off a wood disaster

#6 2019-04-23 00:28:01

futurebird

You can't focus on tech if you are starving. Though I agree that there should be no issue farming trees for wood. On that milkweed though.... sheesh. I'm starting to agree with the people cheering for hemp. Or at least a chance that domestic milkweed gives string.

The problem with milkweed farming is the plant is identical to the wild plant. Domestic carrots are much better than wild ones, you get more in a single plot, they stack! You made progress!

Domestic squash is big and lovely and you can eat it! Domestic sheep are almost too good. Domestic pigs are nice once you breed them enough! Domestic everything is better. But not milkweed. It's the same stingy plant that made you struggle as Eve.

If you could grow two to a plot, or if you got more out of them or if they were bigger and you picked the pods and did some more work but got more rope... it would be more fun to farm and not such a drag that you have to keep the plants locked up ... (not even iron gets that treatment)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#7 2019-04-23 00:52:56

Booklat1

futurebird wrote:

You can't focus on tech if you are starving.

but that is misunderstanding what im saying. Eves should be afraid of starving, after that it should be soil, water, iron running  out, not food.

I think wood and rope are great costs for quality of life tech, like carts or storage.

also, which is it, fences made farming milkweed easier or it didnt matter?

#8 2019-04-23 01:52:14

Léonard

futurebird wrote:

The problem with milkweed farming is the plant is identical to the wild plant.

This.
I've been tired of ropes since forever.
Why can't we domesticate it? Like everything else in this game.
In about 50% of my lives there is no milkweed farm going for a town and do you know what I end up doing when that happens?
Nope, I never plant a farm, instead, I find it millions of time faster to simply hop on a horse and go fetch the stuff myself in distant grasslands.

I never thought about it this way before, but indeed, this is a direct consequence of the inability to domesticate the plant.
There's no real incentive to farm the stuff yourself when wild milkweed is just as viable as the ones you farm yourself.

There is also the fact that farming it is incredibly inconvenient.
Every crop we can grow on our own in the game leaves at least one soil of tiling behind.
Why is that not the case for milkweed as well? And I'm not arguing on a cost basis, I'm arguing on a convenience basis.
With regular crops you just pick the stuff, make sure to get some seeds, and then simply put back one soil and tile it water it in the same tile as before and you're done.
With milkweed, things are different. You pick the stuff and then you gotta redo the whole farm all over again. Fun stuff.
Why this difference? I'm also curious about this for other crops such as berries.
Why are berries the only crop that's not a major pain to replant? We don't have any seed problems with berries and that's because of this very fact.
If a crop can seed, why not leave it be and have the seed start growing back on its own? Even if it still costs one dirt, one water and one tiling, it would still be much much better.

Booklat1 wrote:

also, which is it, fences made farming milkweed easier or it didnt matter?

Fences are completely irrelevant.
If the problems with milkweed were fixed, no one would even care about fences.

The problem with milkweed lies within the fact that it's not a crop that you eat but one that you directly use.
It became apparent once people started explaining on what basis they would accept trading from their milkweed farm.
The problem is people wasting them on yet another snare, another needle and thread when you have sheep, or yet another stone hoe.

If Jason fixed those issues individually, then nobody would have any ground to complain about milkweed getting "stolen" as each and every use would be beneficial to the village.
A bucket, a cart, a horse or Newcomen technology.

Some ideas to fix such problems:
For the snares, simply allow taking the rope back from them.
For the needle and thread, once a needle is upgraded using a ball of thread, make it transition to a distinct type of needle that can only be reused with ball of thread afterwards.
For the stone hoe, let's be fair here, nobody ever use those.. Good Eves use skewers and villages past gen 3 make steel hoes.

Incidentally, ropes are the reason I actively started using the zoom mod for finding stuff.
The primary reason was still to have the game not look like a blurry mess by having a pixel ratio of 1:1 (1.5x zoom with 1920x1080).
But once I started getting confortable with my skill level and tried Eve camps for a difference, I noticed they needed ropes as much as advanced towns.
I was incredibly fed up and that's when I broke from the mentality of conforming to Jason's vision regarding zoom level.
I was tired of playing a rope-finding simulator regardless of the state of the village in which I was playing.

Last edited by Léonard (2019-04-23 01:53:23)

#9 2019-04-23 08:13:57

Amon

As far as furniture goes.
Furniture should use ANIMAL GLUE and NAILS to be made. Not rope.
My grandfather is a carpenter and I am a painter, animal glue for artists and carpenters and cooking jelly are merely differentiated by temperature they are prepared in, they are created from animal bones and skins.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#10 2019-04-23 08:48:35

pein

yeah, with a bit of self restrain you could get sheep, use yarn for clothes and keep the ropes for a horse, then get more ropes with horse. That's why i rush pens all the time. And it gives extra chance for camps. Now with property fence pens, you grow carrots and make property fences same time. You can even have multiple pens with it.

Now this fences come with milkweed so you can control a bit. But is very slow and you need a lot of ropes. Like i got in a lifetime like 6 ropes? 2 for horse, 3 bucket, 1 newcommen, 1 cart
still far from mass rubber and milk making
Now i don't think milkweed need to be buffed, i think we need another tech that allows another plant like hemp to be farmed.
Seems that clothes are motivating people more than other tech.
I just want to see some airports in a few cities.
So we need some side product for clothes, what rpers don't want that much and can be converted to ropes.
Like now: only a few people can make a fast loom, and people start feeding sheep like crazy. Rubber is boring cause you don't need it right away but when you need it, you need it bad. Same for oil, people make engine before oil, i did the same and it's and error.

I think we need something made of rubber that everyone wants. Like rubber backpacks? some sort of other tech for food?
Same goes for oil. We should have plastic, and make tables and chairs maybe.

Sheep is good cause every part of it can be used and creates excess others use. Like you compost and others make pie. Makes sense, no communication needed really. Still better to do the full cycle alone, like cart of sheep food, cart of compost, cart of grain, 16 pies, etc.
But at least is used up. This selfish behavior of making fur shoes with thread and focusing stew before an axe, and such are quite bad for everyone.
I havent seen reed skirts a lot nowadays, the rest of rope uses are decent, except bows and multiple snares.
Maybe allow de-string bows and convert back the snare? I could get back 10 snares and make 5 lasso. People can find snares, don't bring back snares, make snares each time and leave them outside.

Sure, if you would make nice road system to all rabbits, and eventually have a snare for each hole or at least each cluster, that would be easier for future generations.
I think a new type of backpack would be nice addition, most needed thing nowadays. And feels bad when little sister gets one and you don't, or you go out and make one and all others get it for free.
We can have properties if people arent motivated to make their own stuff.
Maybe child clothes? let people give babies clothes but they will grow out of them and can only be used to give to younger people.
I would totally limit packs from kids. An age limit of 5 minimum. it's just so bad that random people get packs and cannot use it and you forage with nothing on you.

Like some part of game is super easy and some part is super hard. No in between. And player skill doesn't matter, just dumb luck.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-04-23 09:20:31

The_Anabaptist

As far as furniture goes, you don't need either glue or nails to make even the fanciest of them.  Carpenters have been doing it for millennia.  See Dovetail Joints and Dowels as examples.

However, I'm game for boiling horse hooves for glue.

The_Anabaptist

#12 2019-04-23 10:21:51

Amon

Yes, traditional hayracks (proper big structures,) were created without a single nail as an example that goes beyond furniture. However, since we have animal remains, and they tend to clutter everything, it would make sense to process them into glue to get something useful out of them =P considering one of the three results from boiling of animal tissue is carpenter's glue.

here are some examples of how crafting could be like for furniture maybe;
https://i.postimg.cc/QtR0dqKv/carpentry.png
https://i.postimg.cc/Y0Y8Gm10/carpentry2.png (I kind of put together some sugegstions and things. Augh. Crate is for crops, holds crops, table is only for plates/bowls empty or with food or just food. Normal wardrope is simply for privacy is private property becomes a thing.)

Glue can simply be made by putting animal skins/bones in the crock pot, add water and putting it on fire. (perhaps you apply it on wood with a brush or just with a bowl)
it remains hot for 30/mintues after which you have to add water and simply heat it up again to use it again.

How to make smooth boards instead of norma lboards, I'd honestly lock behind a tech advancement milestone.

Also for sacks. We could simply sew the dress twice to get a sack into which to load in all the salt and grain and whatnot big_smile

Last edited by Amon (2019-04-23 10:24:19)

Art!!

#13 2019-04-23 10:28:39

Averest

You know what I'm seeing now? People are using fences to toss their clutter outside their area and making a mess of the rest of the town. So now the town is a dump and people's fences are neat and pristine.

#14 2019-04-23 16:08:44

Redram

Amen Amon.  I just shake my head seeing people talking like ropes are the only thing that can or will ever existing for binding.  Think outside the box people!  Like Amon says, we already have the animal bones, and we already have the crocks.  Glue would be a trivial addition.   You could involve paper+glue+sand=sandpaper, Jason could make more Dr. Suessian addons for the shopsmith newcomen multipurpose machine.  Hell it's already got a 'bore'. Nails via a blade blank+chisel or whatever.  The options are many and wouldn't take that many additional sprites.

But, as i've wanted for a long time, I want nice furniture to decay quickly outdoors.  It should need to be inside a building to persist.  Huzzah!   Need for buildings!  We can drop the whack-a-mole building temperature mechanic game!

Last edited by Redram (2019-04-23 16:09:28)

#15 2019-04-23 16:45:49

Amon

Considering wadrobes and the like would only make sense due visibility against north facing walls, perhaps they should take over the same tile as the wall? Would also put wall shelves alongside north-west facing walls interesting.

And yeah. Outside, if furniture is not lacquered it'll degrade pretty quickly if not mantained, mold comes to mind in damp-dark places, but you can also kill it off with gasoline so... hm.

Art!!

Board footer