One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-14 21:04:17

MultiLife

Scattering compost into soil piles on the ground - why exactly?

Hi people, why do you empty a compost pile on the ground? Why can't you let them be compost piles?

Today I saw, once again, a kid who grabbed a basket and proceeded to scatter my compost around on the ground. As I know that it can help when baskets are low and people need to revive farms, I didn't stay to question it. Then, a newbie walked in. Grabbed the hoe. And tilled the numerous 3 pieces of soil around her.

I was watching screenshots of my earlier life and it looks like it happened there too. Around the compost area were a crazy amount of tilled rows, nothing planted, but berry farm was looming right under them. I bet my socks those tilled empty rows were someone's soil piles from composts of earlier days. It horrifies me to think that those empty rows hovered right above berries, a newbie would definitely think they are for berry farm expansion, adding a whole new wing of berry bush rows (with no spaces in-between).

So why we have this urge to empty compost into soil piles (excluding situations where the soil is going to be used right away), and why can't we just make sure compost area has baskets ready when needed? Why we keep taking this gamble with new people who come in and hoe our precious soil, using our precious composts?

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-04-14 21:10:23)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#2 2019-04-14 21:11:12

pein

Re: Scattering compost into soil piles on the ground - why exactly?

cause all carts boxes barrells cages, cars and airplanes need to be filled with pie, raw pie and rabbits
oh yeah, baskets too

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-04-14 21:24:11

futurebird

I do this with natural soil deposits far from the main farm but near some water when I want to plant milk weed.

Doing it with compost probably is about planting milkweed too often, or emergency wheat.

Really we need more basket runs. Take the horse or cart and a triangle stone get look for a swamp with reeds or a yellow biome with lots of wheat. Make 4 baskets, maybe fill them with the rabbits or clay, or don't bring them back repeat. Don't take baskets from town when you use a cart. Part of using a cart or horse is making baskets.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-04-15 00:53:22

Averest

I'll empty baskets of compost but only onto boardwalks around neatly delineated fields. Anywhere else invites someone to come along and till all three soil instead of spreading it around in piles of two.

#5 2019-04-15 01:46:49

desertsyd

MultiLife wrote:

why do you empty a compost pile on the ground?

too often have I seen players, attack the compost pile with just a bowl, fail. Then don't bother to maintain the berry bushes.

#6 2019-04-15 01:54:52

Grim_Arbiter

I do if there is an overabundance. If there are 10 compost piles in a town I will dump 5 of them, just because that life I will probably make about 5 anyways. Sometimes more depending on how many clothes I make. Im not only the tailor most lives now, but the poopsmith too.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-04-15 05:34:30

MultiLife

Averest wrote:

I'll empty baskets of compost but only onto boardwalks around neatly delineated fields. Anywhere else invites someone to come along and till all three soil instead of spreading it around in piles of two.

I really like how you use boardwalks for this, I think it should be the unspoken rule of compost soil scattering! Put it on boardwalks so newbies see how useful those are and won't till them like they do on ground.

desertsyd wrote:

too often have I seen players, attack the compost pile with just a bowl, fail. Then don't bother to maintain the berry bushes.

Yeah, these kinds of issues are the bane of OHOL. Why couldn't someone scoop soil into a bowl, why the basket is the only option to distribute soil? Overall I think these things are results of unfinished newbie teaching. We should make sure to show them how to get soil or even make compost, and maybe leave baskets next to compost to encourage trying those.
The buckets vs bowls when watering and shallow vs deep wells is also one hair graying issue in OHOL.

pein wrote:

cause all carts boxes barrells cages, cars and airplanes need to be filled with pie, raw pie and rabbits
oh yeah, baskets too

Hahah, we just MUST put raw pie in a car. It just looks good there. big_smile

futurebird wrote:

I do this with natural soil deposits far from the main farm but near some water when I want to plant milk weed.

Doing it with compost probably is about planting milkweed too often, or emergency wheat.

Really we need more basket runs. Take the horse or cart and a triangle stone get look for a swamp with reeds or a yellow biome with lots of wheat. Make 4 baskets, maybe fill them with the rabbits or clay, or don't bring them back repeat. Don't take baskets from town when you use a cart. Part of using a cart or horse is making baskets.

Yes I understand wild soil deposits being scattered around.
And yeah if it's going to be instantly used in farming or tilled rows - but rarely it is, the kid just came in, scattered 2 out of 3 composts and left to do other things, as the woman walked in and started tilling.
Would be nice to get some options beside baskets. And lots of containers. All sorts.

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I do if there is an overabundance. If there are 10 compost piles in a town I will dump 5 of them, just because that life I will probably make about 5 anyways. Sometimes more depending on how many clothes I make. Im not only the tailor most lives now, but the poopsmith too.

Okay. I think we should be safe from tilling newbies if you dump the soil on boardwalks or closer to farms that are a bit further away. If a berry farm has no borders, I'd recommend getting floor around for soil piles! Otherwise it's probable that someone has to dig up berry bushes in another life. big_smile

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-04-15 05:48:21)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2019-04-15 11:10:57

breezeknight

yeah,
noobs, idiots, egoists, mindless & griefers
they all exist in this game
meantime i see it all as a special flavour of OHOL
i just move on & hope for a better next life cool

- - -

#9 2019-04-15 13:19:17

wondible

Sometimes I'll do it when I expect to be using lots of soil, just so I'm not picking up and putting down the basket a lot. It's making efficient use of the compost-tool while I've got it in hand.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#10 2019-04-15 14:23:09

futurebird

It's pretty efficient to make compost in an open area, spread it out first with basket then with bowl. Till it all and plant it up with a crop that won't leave hard rows like wheat or milkweed. No point in moving the soil any distance further than you most. Make the compost in the location you plan to use the soil.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer