One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-05 20:50:48

Booklat1

Rare resources and possible uses

As suggested by many people, rare resources add a desire for exploration, accumulation and vanity. This also allows more opportunities and needs for trade and conflicts which most of us find to be lacking. However, if something is rare but useless we may not care for it too much.

Here's some of the ideas I've had for existing resources:

Copper: This already exists and is even getting more uses (through loom) this update. A lot of uses were suggested here for utility items with copper and I like it as a utility, communication, transport, focused resource, both enabling and being sought for trade. We could have watering cans, a tool to dig potatoes, rubber sealed crocks (for transport, which helps trade), more electronics. Copper isnt actually rare but i think its not bad as a ground mineral, it just needs more value.

Iron: Behind most food economy and nerfed many times, still gets to a point where it just piles up. Might as well adhere to it (responsibly). What if iron mines had a third tier with additional iron? We could still restrict a bit more the overall amount given by the mines we currently have while making them keep their value over more time as they get the upgrade. And maybe this helps people get more cars? Iron needs to constantly get more uses since its supposed to be so important.

Gold: Only real use is bells but if there were even more vanity, tech and social uses for it I bet people would collect it more. My only suggestions for this are more crown types, gold inlaid knives and radars (for rare mines/tar pits) but Jason should stick gold in a bunch of endgame tech.

Oil: Yeah, oil just needs a bunch of updates on it, but mostly we need improved cars and planes, heating and lighters, forges and machinery. Its rare, found in extreme biomes and not too easy to mass produce which is great and adds to its value. Also watch out for plastics in the future.

Alumn: Dyeing is mostly for vanity but I think Alumn should only exist in mines/deposits, becoming a rare resource.

Dyes and pigments: I think both need a buff to their uses and some rarer colours adeed (purple?)

Animals: Tarr suggested rare different coloured animals in another post, so that we also get more vanity reasons to trade. I like this, but maybe some could have an actual utility through breeding.

What else can you people think off? Does this even help trades occur?

#2 2019-04-05 21:48:17

Amon

Re: Rare resources and possible uses

I think people would die for hemp rope making made ez.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#3 2019-04-06 05:53:20

pein

well if you could make a tool with a function out of any material, like a trinium pickaxe which allows picking down a building? could be used for griefs but now is it really bad to rearrange something? and list me famous griefers who can explore

speed bonus would be an easy one
and generally any type of vanity, building design, or just renewable resource which requires a but of action taking but needs some ownership anyway or stealing it is simpler than trading for

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-04-06 13:59:06

Anandamide

Amon wrote:

I think people would die for hemp rope making made ez.

Ill gladly die on that hill with you.

#5 2019-04-06 14:05:48

Vexenie

Breeding really stood out for me.
What if you have to force a male and a female animal to breed, with different characteristics
Like for example, There is a female buffalo, who has a lot of milk, but if you domesticate, you can make that milky cow even more milkier by breeding very milky female cow with a male cow, who carries a very milky gene and breeding them, a female calf will have even more milk compared to it's mother

It's just an example of cows, there could be more, like bigger pigs, fluffier sheep, more egg laying geese and so on

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

Board footer