One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-04 12:47:40

Amon

More feasable property, built off in-game practices and QOL

Personal property is rather iffy when it comes to it. You spend 60minutes working and eating rather than sitting in your home worrying about your property. Personal level property...probably not feasable with erryone having a house, a mango tree, a milkcow and its own fire and bear rug.

The closest thing we have, and should focus on is property that was naturally estabilished in the game, through workstations. Workstations often share the same item types, but a certain amount of items belongs to a workstation, and people usually do not like when those items get taken.

These slabs belong to the smithy. These plates belong to the smithy too, this bucket belongs to the kitchen and this bucket belongs to the milkweed farm.
And people SURE DO get angry when those items disappear, they belong to the workstation.
But this time, since all items are the same, we can only know something is wrong by the missing items. And all you can do is steal back from another workstation and tell everyone to stop taking and hope it works.
Imagine the solutions when all the water buckets disapear. Which belong to the farm? Where did they poof?
All bowls are gone from the soup station! You are starving!

So...
dye canvas and cut it in strips, wrap strips around tools and dye.
add green, orange, purple dye.
Glaze clayware to diffefent colours.
Paint wood like buckets.

Smithy is blue, kitchen is orange and farm is white. Cow buckets are white, the milkweed hoe is blue, the soup hoe is orange...The soup bowls are porcelain. (and porcelain can only good finished food?)

This time if a smith sees a missing plate, if he sees somebody running around with a plate...and it's blue!
Oh boy a scolding is comming. It'll help both organise and keep order. Or imagine a person running around with an unmarked knife that does not belong to the shepherd or cook.
Boy. Your eyes are not decieving you.

Well.
That's all I have to say.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#2 2019-04-04 13:09:23

breezeknight

Re: More feasable property, built off in-game practices and QOL

YES lol

though at least we just should have some decor present
so that such differencies could become a thing smile

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-04 13:10:50)

#3 2019-04-04 13:14:22

Sukallinen

Cannot +1 so I say nice. Now just people, try to find problems with this ? Programming on serverside its "only" adding one more property to an item.

Edit: please move copy to here OP: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-04-04 13:14:57)

#4 2019-04-04 13:22:16

Amon

Can somebody with a reddit account do this?.+ wait a bit so it can be better fleshed out by multi imput methinks.

Art!!

#5 2019-04-04 13:32:04

Spoonwood

No.  You can't eat a crucible.  You can eat cooked food on a plate.  Plates belonging to the smithy ignores priorities like these.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-04-04 13:46:41

Amon

You're not supposed to eat a crucible! xD
Colour partitioning plates however, is a direct way to show where your missing kitchen plates dissapeared and who took them. Besides, its actually the smiths that keep getting their ware stolen.
It also makes it easy to retrieve borrowed tools and ware if you need it back at the workstation.

Last edited by Amon (2019-04-04 13:47:34)

Art!!

#7 2019-04-04 14:08:31

futurebird

Yes I like this idea. That way you know if someone has swiped the tool you were using or made a new one like a responsible player would.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-04-04 14:17:56

Amon

Glazing pottery should be very early tech. Porcelain could use more effort.

But marking tools will definitely require a loom. But the strips should be reusable once a tool breaks or a knife is reassembled.

Art!!

#9 2019-04-04 14:17:57

Gabby

This idea is great. Porcelain plates and bowls with different colored patterns for this would look lovely.

Be nice to the mouflon

#10 2019-04-04 14:20:11

Amon

Yeah we have so many bones. Making bone porcelain should not be an issue at all. As well as porcelain could only store ready foods so...No way itll be taken away and filled with something nonedible.

Art!!

#11 2019-04-04 14:20:45

Averest

Fiestaware FTW!

I would love to have more color in the game and this makes for a useful mechanic. It'll be a lot of extra items given that each colored thing is a separate entity. Mostly it's just churning out all the iterations that'll take time but I've seen Jason's work, he's fast!

I have faith in him!

#12 2019-04-04 14:25:16

Gabby

Another thing that I would like to see. We have primary color paints, but maybe with an update like that, Jason could add the possibility to mix colors too so we could also get purple, orange and green.

Be nice to the mouflon

#13 2019-04-04 14:29:31

Amon

Yeah just having the primal three + white is good enough. But the mixed colours + black would be great at a later date!

Art!!

#14 2019-04-04 15:03:23

happynova

Hey, that is kind of a nice idea!  And genuinely seems to fit in with how towns actually function, not how Jason seems to want them to function. smile

Last edited by happynova (2019-04-04 15:03:37)

#15 2019-04-04 15:46:06

breezeknight

porcelain yes, but plz only sheep bones

#16 2019-04-04 16:10:52

Amon

Yeah I was thinking where people squabble about "this is mine/belongs to X place, return it!" and really. You could even colour an item to be its own individual colour so you know it's your your item and not billy bob's or the cooks.

That was exactly what i was thinking. (though i think its actually made from bovine bones)
Making it from all animal bones would be a good future investment when the other animals get more use.
(some other bone use: art glue, jelly,  carpenter glue. Esp rabbit glue)

Art!!

#17 2019-04-04 16:13:20

Turnipseed

Or we could go back to being able to write on things

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#18 2019-04-04 16:37:57

Amon

Writing isn't an instantaneous uniqueness marker and requires time to read and process.

Art!!

#19 2019-04-04 16:49:03

wondible

Much as I'd love this, I already see the technical objection.

You have "Red Bowl", green, blue etc. Now you need "Red Bowl with Charcoal" "Red Bowl with Charcoal and Iron" "Red Sealed Cruicible". And what if you put a blue plate on the unsealed red crucible? Did I see 192 receives for bowl?  That is 192 new objects and transitions, times the number of colors. Maybe Jason could find some clever way to swap out colored bowl and plate parts, but then there has to be a place to store the color information, which is another major technical hurdle.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#20 2019-04-04 16:52:51

ryanb
Website

Nice idea! The ability to color items would help organize them. It would need to be easy enough to do so we can paint a lot quickly. Perhaps a paint brush we can use on a tool to paint the handle, or bucket, plate, or bowl to paint it. Paint thinner could be added to remove the paint.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#21 2019-04-04 16:59:35

Amon

Yeah thats the biggest mess of it all.

Art!!

#22 2019-04-04 17:53:10

Gabby

wondible wrote:

Much as I'd love this, I already see the technical objection.

You have "Red Bowl", green, blue etc. Now you need "Red Bowl with Charcoal" "Red Bowl with Charcoal and Iron" "Red Sealed Cruicible". And what if you put a blue plate on the unsealed red crucible? Did I see 192 receives for bowl?  That is 192 new objects and transitions, times the number of colors. Maybe Jason could find some clever way to swap out colored bowl and plate parts, but then there has to be a place to store the color information, which is another major technical hurdle.

Would it maybe be possible for the painted pattern to be a separate "object" though, one that appears attached to the bowl or the plate no matter what is in them? Like how emotes go over every character model instead of we having one model for each emote+character combination?

Last edited by Gabby (2019-04-04 17:53:32)

Be nice to the mouflon

#23 2019-04-04 22:37:17

Starknight_One

Amon wrote:

Glazing pottery should be very early tech. Porcelain could use more effort.

I've been saying this since I started playing the game. We have dyes and paint, can we please get glazed pottery?

But marking tools will definitely require a loom. But the strips should be reusable once a tool breaks or a knife is reassembled.

Not necessarily. We could just use the paint we already have on the tools, although that shouldn't take a whole bucket for one tool.

#24 2019-04-04 22:53:35

wondible

Gabby wrote:

Would it maybe be possible for the painted pattern to be a separate "object" though, one that appears attached to the bowl or the plate no matter what is in them? Like how emotes go over every character model instead of we having one model for each emote+character combination?

Pattern may work better than color, because it would be easier to overlay on any bowl-like item. All the bowl-like, plate-like, etc items would probably have to be edited to create a pattern placeholder, both to tag the item for the appropriate kind of pattern (bowl, plate, etc), and to make it look good. Possibly a lot of work, and we still have the pattern data storage problem.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#25 2019-04-05 00:14:01

futurebird

I like this so much more than locking people out of areas because it invites conversation, conflict, co-operation instead of the game kind of solving that for us by making it so someone can't pick up my round stone that I use for stew. Instead it makes this action a little harder to hide, you have the round stone I painted white. You took it. Social pressure works well in this game and I find that fascinating and rewarding. Most people don't take tools someone is using a few do. But too often the "theft" is because the person doing the taking didn't understand that it was being used and someone cares.

I mean that's what I find rewarding knowing what other people care about helping them to get to a goal it's a different kind of reward than "beating" another player. You beat nature, the pigs, the bears, the cold that's the bad guy.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer