One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-03 23:35:57

Thaulos

Dirt roads

What do you guys think of having a sort of "dirt road". Just a sort of "tilting" of the tile itself to look like a path. Maybe we could have a specialized steel tool for that?

It wouldn't give any speed bonus but would allow people to make paths both in town and between towns (before a better fast road could be built on top over time). Could allow for us to pave paths to rabbits or desert or jungle for example. If anyone asked for rabbits we could point towards one of the paths.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-04-03 23:36:07)

#2 2019-04-03 23:37:34

DestinyCall

Re: Dirt roads

I love it.   It would help with organizing and laying out large buildings or work zones.

#3 2019-04-04 00:13:49

BlueDiamondAvatar

Same, sounds like a great idea to me.  Add three stones to a bucket or some sort of special steel grinder tool, and get 10  tiles of gravel path.  Use a shovel to change it back to the original tile.

I'm often trying to make paths to tarry patches or other interesting resources. I'll lay out lines of chopped wood or whatever is handy, but just moving the pieces back and forth can take forever, and it's super easy for someone to come along and collect the wood without realizing it is serving a purpose.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-04-04 00:22:08

Taz

Yes!  A resounding yes!

Should be the first, easiest road to make.  Just a plain, rugged dirt path.   Made with a new simple "Dirt Rake" tool, or something like it.

#5 2019-04-04 01:21:50

Glassius

Such a road should also give speed bonus, just marginal. Otherwise, people will be buildng single path tile in close proximity to each other to save resources and labour. We need continuous roads

L

#6 2019-04-04 14:44:35

Gabby

I like this idea very much. It makes sense too.

Be nice to the mouflon

#7 2019-04-04 14:47:59

Turnipseed

Definitely a great idea they could wind up being very expensive iron wise depending on how the tool is made and what the durability is

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#8 2019-04-04 15:05:04

Amon

Maybe a rake? Rake up the grass/foliage floor to make a clear path that takes shape depending on adjecant road.

Good to quickly preplan roads.

Then maybe fill it in with rocks gravel to make macadam road for a nice but not current speed bonus? Before then you upgrade to later road types with higher speed bonus?

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#9 2019-04-04 15:10:50

Gabby

I think much more important than the speed bonus is simply the fact that we will be able to connect things more easily, which I think it is the main benefit of a road in this game. Connect cities, or connect the city to a nearby mine, or to a place with oil, this kind of thing.

Be nice to the mouflon

#10 2019-04-04 15:57:24

DestinyCall

Turnipseed wrote:

Definitely a great idea they could wind up being very expensive iron wise depending on how the tool is made and what the durability is

It should have very high durability, so this isn't a significant consideration.

#11 2019-04-04 16:04:40

Turnipseed

DestinyCall wrote:
Turnipseed wrote:

It should have very high durability, so this isn't a significant consideration.

Lol "should" were you around for the release of decay? Shovels had 20 uses hmm

#12 2019-04-04 16:09:56

pein

no, i think it should mainly be a blueprint thing
also stop planting on those tiles
i would say stakes, hit to floor mode and then some thumper to make it a simple path, but i guess could be something faster like hitting two home markers and stretching a rope between it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2019-04-04 16:11:33

Turnipseed

Brilliant pein! Or a pop line like you would use irl all you need is a ball of yarn and chalk (limestone)

Last edited by Turnipseed (2019-04-04 16:12:22)

#14 2019-04-04 20:13:06

Spoonwood

I like this.

That said, you can path out a distance between towns by leaving man-made objects such as branches or flint chips or firewood every so many spaces at present (I've done this to path out a road when I will NOT have a homemarker to the target town later).  Theoretically, you could use rabbit bones and cut them up with a flint chip as the fastest current method.  I do like the idea of a rake for a dirt path.  Two home markers with a rope stretching between those home markers I also think a good idea.  I think the rope idea better, because such a path could get moved, while I'm not imagining how a dirt road would get re-worked.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#15 2019-04-05 02:33:59

Deleted User

We need to decide whether we want to advance the existing methods (using stakes, bucket + water) or introduce new models for it. In my opinion, the sand deposits have way too little real use; they are predestined to provide sand/gravel that you can spread on the ground with bowls and then handle with a twig. They won't work in deserts, of course. Also, why not different types of paths? The most primitive way is of course laying items around, like stones, needles, etc., but something solid would make it even more attractive.

I really like the idea with the rake to create dirt paths; one click on the ground for small and two for broad ways (with a slight, let's say +25% speed bonus).

#16 2019-04-05 03:01:22

Sukallinen

Marking roads: easy could be fill backpack with sand, poke a hole in it and it dribbles and leaves a followable trail.

Other thing I like is earlier idea: making travelled tiles have "health" and if not road/such built just darken with RGB or such.

#17 2019-04-05 06:43:06

pein

well think about when and why you need it
when: i would plan my roads right away, it just annoys me when a farm is around the ponds
why do they do it? cause it needs to be close to water, it saves time
that's basic knowledge but how close? right next to it? you still bring the soil from further
you still see o nscreen 3-4 tiles away
why cant keep the line next to ponds as road? ponds become wells, wells become deep wells, then they got bucket, and they take the bucket trough berry field, fill it in the well, take it back to the side of berry field, take a bowl and take water back near the well to water the bush

if i paint a road for my kids, that 3x3, starts with a road near this ponds, this other road goes between that 2 pongs, then there gonna be an oven, then it fits a pen and finally there will be the nursery

now you cant plan for 40 gen, that you go there and build the whole city and they follow it so one day you return and you say , good job fuckers, you built my 3x3 smith with 3 kilns where you can process 1 iron at a time, and my road to the iron vein and the oil and the rabbits and my pyramid and the burial spot and the wooden toilet i call nursery

so it should not take much time to set up
less than building an actual road
if i could make a steel rake, wouldn't be better to make the froe and adze and make some boards for actual long lasting road? also get one step closer to iron mine than wasting a steel on a tool which has only one function?

needs to be something you can make quite fast with a bit of awareness to surroundings, like branches, stones, like a stone hoe, but with a round stone instead
the process should be fast, faster than hitting in stakes to a shape and then using a tool on it
stakes make sense, but maybe a different tool on it to hit in shape (tho i think it would be better for every type of floor to require the same tool, and one click make the floor stakes than circling trought the stakes every time)
also should be decaying after a while, so you need actual items to be present at some parts of map, like some people do a road at every 10 tiles rather than making every tile for a while then they run out of time

also it should be able to undo, the same or a bit longer process than making it so they cant be used for griefing

also should be a bit more complex  on setting up so not every newbie can do it, before they know how they can fix a berry bush
require no  permanent gathering of resources

like i would make a stone rake, mark the roads for a 3x3 farm plot then tell my kid to plant berry on middle of it, then make a road to the iron mine and my grandkid can find it easy
so i would say decay of one hour, a marking for more time, but after 1 hour can be removed (but it takes a bit of time to remove it so they don't do it without a reason to)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer