One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-23 21:12:54

GreatShawn

Why carrot pies are the best

I've actually never baked a carrot pie in-game, but based on what onetech tells me, it is in my opinion the best pie ever.

think about it this way:

carrots only give you 7 pips, but when combined with 1/4 of a wheat dough (and cooking it of course) , it gives quardriple the amount of pips (in total)!
so each bite gives you the equivalent of a carrot, when you ate all four pourtions it gives you nearly the amount of pips one carrot row would give you with only one carrot!

I know I didn't put into consideration the water and soil needed for the carrot, wheat and dough, but for a 14 year-old chinese communist teenager with extreamly strict parents this is the best calculation I can do. Maybe y'all geeks on the forum can do some further calculations into the efficiency of carrot pies so I can save some brain power for later use.

#2 2019-03-23 21:39:58

futurebird

Re: Why carrot pies are the best

Wild wheat exits, can one make pie with wild carrots?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-03-23 22:04:24

Daffex

futurebird wrote:

yep

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#4 2019-03-23 22:06:54

GreatShawn

Daffex wrote:
futurebird wrote:

yep

Wild wild west with wild wild pies

#5 2019-03-23 22:12:38

voy178

That doesn't sound very sustainable.

#6 2019-03-23 22:18:56

futurebird

Neither is eating burdock. I wish we could grow those in some way... without tilling maybe, and they take an hour to grow so you plant them for the next generation or something...

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-03-23 22:31:20

GreatShawn

We should be able to cultivate onions. And if you chop them in-game or hold some chopped onion it should make you have a crying emote.

#8 2019-03-23 22:47:34

Guppy

The thing is, if you combine that one carrot with some berries, you get  dung for compost, wool for clothes and enough mutton for 4 pies

#9 2019-03-23 22:53:14

DestinyCall

The meat pies beat out carrots for a number of reasons.

Cooked rabbit is 10 pips and cooked mutton is 12 pips.   Rabbit pie is 56 pips and mutton pie is 60 pips.

So that's more than x5 improvement for rabbit and x5 improvement for mutton, compared with x4 improvement for carrot pie.   And that ignores the production cost of carrots vs sheep/rabbits.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-23 22:59:38)

#10 2019-03-23 22:57:57

GreatShawn

Guppy wrote:

The thing is, if you combine that one carrot with some berries, you get  dung for compost, wool for clothes and enough mutton for 4 pies

The world always needs to leave some choices for vegans. they deserve great pies.

#11 2019-03-23 23:00:56

DestinyCall

Vegans already have three sisters stew and bean burritos.  That's all they really deserve.

#12 2019-03-23 23:01:50

GreatShawn

Why be so mean to them though. They deserve a lot

Last edited by GreatShawn (2019-03-23 23:02:02)

#13 2019-03-24 00:52:23

Spoonwood

I'm a vegan in real life.  A pure vegan colony in this game has serious limitations, since someone has to eat at least one rabbit in order to make bellows for a forge.  Additionally, meat based foods, like vegetably based foods, provide a source of yum.  So, again, a vegan colony has serious limitations.  Yum also comes as why there is no one best pie.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#14 2019-03-24 01:29:10

Villas

I would like to cultivate bananas, good yum bonus, even if it takes one hour to grow
, I still like it. To be honest, we should be able to cultivate any plant in this game, cactus, bananas, onions, why not?

#15 2019-03-24 08:38:48

breezeknight

yeah, but only because the temp update made yum bonus more useful wink

just wanted to remind, there is cause & effect
& since Jason updates the game regularly (Hail Jason !!!),
so there will be always (hopefully) things which were before not practical & all of sudden move to the center of attention

i was never a fan of the yum bonus, but now it's a different story, so yeah
even if i argued once against carrot pies,
now EVERY sort of a pie became benefitting the populace

so get them baked, the carrot pies, berry pies, carrot berry pies, carrot rabbit pies, berry rabbit pies, carrot berry rabbit pies  big_smile

more power to pies
pies are great
can't praise them enough !!!

also i would suggest
even if it would increase the load on game
but since life in OHOL is EXTREMELY fleeting, so looking up which pie is which because they all look exact the same is taking up precious time

those different pies should be clearly discernable, by texture &/or color

berry pies could be clearly PINK
carrot pies more brownish ORANGE
berry carrot pie CHECKERED brownish-orange/pink
rabbit pie PALE PINK
carrot rabbit pie CHECKERED brownish-orange/pale pink
berry rabbit pie CHECKERED pink/pale pink
carrot berry rabbit pie STRIPED brownish-orange/pink/pale pink

mutton pie could remain brown as it is now

lol

also
i think such details make the game just simply more attractive
attention to detail makes a better gameplay
even if many players think those are negligible triffles

those are NOT lol

the praises detailed open world games get speak volumes lol

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-24 08:40:33)

#16 2019-03-24 08:44:39

breezeknight

Spoonwood wrote:

I'm a vegan in real life.  A pure vegan colony in this game has serious limitations, since someone has to eat at least one rabbit in order to make bellows for a forge.  Additionally, meat based foods, like vegetably based foods, provide a source of yum.  So, again, a vegan colony has serious limitations.  Yum also comes as why there is no one best pie.

more power to vegan

there should be banana pie - in YELLOW

there should be onion pie - in pale GREEN

farmable onions would be great !

more vegan & vegetarian options to yum bonus
absolutastic !!! lol

#17 2019-03-24 09:23:57

Daffex

breezeknight wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

more power to vegan

there should be banana pie - in YELLOW

there should be onion pie - in pale GREEN

farmable onions would be great !

more vegan & vegetarian options to yum bonus
absolutastic !!! lol

We have butter. Why not cheese.

Cheese + onion pie!

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#18 2019-03-24 09:28:14

Psykout

breezeknight wrote:

more power to pies
pies are great
can't praise them enough !!!

I agree with you on making it more easily determinable of which pie is which, but I still think it comes down to an organizational object. One of my best experiences in the game was making a secondary bakery that was ONLY for pies outside of mutton. I only baked rabbit because there was active trappers and tailors so there was a great deal of rabbit to deal with. Every time anyone tried to bring mutton down, it was immediately taken away way with a scolding. My children and any that wanted to take to that cloth, also preached that message. This was a specialty bakery, not for normal pies.

There will always be a place for pies outside of mutton, but they need to be at the right time, and it needs its own area. A separate bakery is essential if you are going to start producing those pies, especially so if rabbits are steadily coming into the village because someone is making clothes. For the most part, it didn't make a huge difference. There were plenty of mutton pies to live off of, and most went there to refresh their backpacks. But to those that new they could snag 4+ yum bonus if they stopped by, it was huge. Until we have former kitchens, where food storage and food production are in separate buildings, you have to have two bakeries.

#19 2019-03-24 09:47:55

Thaulos

Carrot pies are rather inefficient. There are better yum food (like every other pie type) in the game.

#20 2019-03-24 11:48:19

breezeknight

Daffex wrote:
breezeknight wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I'm a vegan in real life.

We have butter. Why not cheese.

Cheese + onion pie!

in general nothing against cheese but

cheese & butter are not vegan wink

Psykout wrote:

I agree with you on making it more easily determinable of which pie is which, but I still think it comes down to an organizational object. One of my best experiences in the game was making a secondary bakery that was ONLY for pies outside of mutton. I only baked rabbit because there was active trappers and tailors so there was a great deal of rabbit to deal with. Every time anyone tried to bring mutton down, it was immediately taken away way with a scolding. My children and any that wanted to take to that cloth, also preached that message. This was a specialty bakery, not for normal pies.

There will always be a place for pies outside of mutton, but they need to be at the right time, and it needs its own area. A separate bakery is essential if you are going to start producing those pies, especially so if rabbits are steadily coming into the village because someone is making clothes. For the most part, it didn't make a huge difference. There were plenty of mutton pies to live off of, and most went there to refresh their backpacks. But to those that new they could snag 4+ yum bonus if they stopped by, it was huge. Until we have former kitchens, where food storage and food production are in separate buildings, you have to have two bakeries.

organization might be viable when you are in town
but since you are not everywhere & always, so organization is rare in OHOL wink

i have usually not any time to set up a second bakery
i have barely any time to bake in the first lol

in my last game i've spend my life hunting rabbits, collecting round stones, making baskets, setting up a pottery kiln - rip
& this was already a very comfortable life smile

- - -

#21 2019-03-24 15:10:51

Psykout

breezeknight wrote:

organization might be viable when you are in town
but since you are not everywhere & always, so organization is rare in OHOL wink

i have usually not any time to set up a second bakery
i have barely any time to bake in the first lol

in my last game i've spend my life hunting rabbits, collecting round stones, making baskets, setting up a pottery kiln - rip
& this was already a very comfortable life smile

- - -

Organization downfall is a symptom of not enough storage tech. There is only so much that can be expected so I usually try to plan out things so it can't even happen in the first place. Only when I see an opportunity to do a side project like this, will I take the chance. Been a bit since setting up secondary pie building because other tasks are important, or I just felt like doing something else. Just a bit ago literally spent my entire life cutting down trees because I enjoyed too many trees. From age three to like 55 I just cut trees and hauled them back to the edge of town. Anyone that was born into that town for many many generations afterwards could make whatever they wanted.

Because I was the lumberjack.
6IdhbL9.jpg

Sticking to one thing is hard, but the affects are massive for much longer into the generations. Yeah I could be smithing or baking, tending to the sheep or doing compost. If those jobs are being done with any sort of competence, the town during my time will be okay. I have been trying to establish good berry farms, well placed and organized bakeries, tailor stations just for clothes storage. EVERYTHING does not need to be in the damn nursery. Setting things up neatly can definitely have a psychological impact of, do other people even want to take care of this town?

#22 2019-03-24 17:14:04

fragilityh14

futurebird wrote:

Neither is eating burdock. I wish we could grow those in some way... without tilling maybe, and they take an hour to grow so you plant them for the next generation or something...

I've been saying this a long time, especially as it makes long term hunting and gathering viable. And also potentially create nomad vs settled conflict.

just make it so flint splits burdock into 3 pieces, can be planted with sharp stone, takes epoch to mature.

The onions we for sure should be able to just domesticate in general. But further diversifying the food system is not necessarily the most important thing right now

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#23 2019-03-24 19:43:00

DaTrüf!

People don't waste carrots on carrot pies because using it to make mutton pies is so much better

>Me: *writes detailed post on pit bull griefing and details how to prevent it*
>Community: GRIEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 2019-03-24 20:07:38

pein

i mean i had a town with only berries, carrot and no sheep yet, while we were preparing sheep, i was making pies for the berry outage
just so simple to know: eating carrot pie as a kid is still better than eating berries or carrots
i told most people they didn't really listened tho
if people eat the carrot pies fast, hey can make some more and plates arent standing still
so yeah, this kid pies are good enough

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#25 2019-03-24 21:39:52

futurebird

Psykout wrote:

well placed and organized bakeries,

Love the image of the stacked wood. Excellent. Can we talk about why everyone seems to plant wheat as far from the bakery as possible? WHY? Wheat won't leave a hardened row, so plant it where it can be used. Compost has many locations it needs to be the bakery only one.

---
omnem cibum costis

Board footer