One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-20 19:14:06

pein

Why no savanna towns?

So we got 6 biomes, 3 of them is mostly useless
the remaining 3 is
Green for the early mw, some soil and branches, some food, a bit of stones and big stones
Swamp for water, reeds, adobe, clay and firewood
Savannah for rabbits, some carrot seed and some wheat

Now the green biome early makes sense, but nothing worth it long term
Swamp also gets empty, you get firewood, and then you make one single engine well, newcommen, kerosene well, you don't really need more of them
Savannah always has the rabbits, nothing else? exactly, lot of free space to design a town

so what i say is: most of my runs are so bad, all babies born the same time, i don't have pack or apron, i need to go out, find the snare
if i find it, i make my pack, already wasted 10 min,  if im female i wont be able to go out, if im male, i can find more useful things to do than getting rabbits, if i bring back the snare, a kid takes it out and not sure if it returns
then again, someone needs to go out, get back the snare.
Most cities i seen yesterday had not enough packs, even if they had a big savanah, it was quite far and hard to find, if the city has food problems, nobody can go out and get some, and after first harvest the wild carrots are gone

so what im suggesting?
making the pen in the closest medium to big savanah
rabbit hole acts as a wall, can be used as pen wall/corner, just make sure isn't on middle, bonus if its 5x5 and 2 rabbit holes are the corners big_smile
if you make it near a savannah pond, which you might find if there is a swamp near, that one can be the upgraded well
even if its an outpost, its only 3 iron, 1 rubber, 4 stone and some branches, then it takes kindling and not upgrading multiple ponds, which never made sense to me. you can also just make a fast road to water and fill a few cisterns
soil comes from composting anyway
trees can be planted now, until you plant some, you can get a leaf to start up a fire

if you snaring every rabbit every hour then most of population can have backpacks, they can go further, you can even keep a snare near each rabbit hole and make roads between them
count how many rabbits you got, plant pine trees then use the butt logs to make roads out of it

the two things i see is:
no tree farming and not enough firewood
lot of backlog on dung and grain
it takes work to use up all dung, also takes 25% of soil to make soil
the cities still doing fine, so the extra soil could go for trees and milkweed
signs that say what goes into that plot

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-03-20 22:27:25

Matbat

Re: Why no savanna towns?

Two reasons I can think of.

1. Branches (for kindling and tools)
2. In time people will accidentally kill rabbit holes if they're in middle of town.

For 1, early kindling and branches (and food, in general) are necessary for eve starts, if the greens are even 20 tiles away thats ~10 seconds tacked on to every branch run or emergency run for food.  (Yes you can get tree farms later on, but you really only see those in the end-game-nothing-to-do times.)

For 2, if you build nearby rabbits people will accidentally eventually kill the rabbit holes, I've seen good savanna towns before (like ~70 rabbits in very near savanna) and some people don't pay super close attention while farming families soon after they've come out and kill the hole. 2-3 rabbit holes killed every few hours can add up eventually and then people will have to move to a new field.

Extras: Savanna feel colder in terms of color, even though savannas are warm irl.
Not everyone needs a backpack.
One rabbit hunter can supply for many generations.
In end game you can live anywhere, provided you have a single pond.

#3 2019-03-20 22:58:20

fragilityh14

rabbit holes can't be killed anymore, it's just longer to spawn if it isn't a family hole.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-03-20 23:07:58

Spoonwood

Backlog of grain signals that more pies, bread, buttered bread, and bean burritos can get made.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-03-21 03:40:39

pein

i think killing them off would happen anyway

now depends how much you got, but
abandoned becomes normal in one hour, then 10 more minutes to discover them and becomes family
family becomes single and 1 hour becomes family
you still need to discover it again, and if you are closer to it then it happens faster
now if you hunt them down twice you get 2x the rabbit but it will be abandoned and your clothes decay until they come back
but also everyone is area banned so baby booms occur at gen 3-4 or similar (can be 8-9 but tech level is same, you got steady food supply so most girls survive) and after the players are banned you got clothes nobody can use, doesn't really matter that you snare each hour or each 2 hours twice

if you plant the trees right away, then make a pen, a cistern there near pen, like on pen corner and another cistern near water and a road between the two
make enough buckets (minimum 5 so 4 can go in cart and do 2-3 runs)

i guess you could plant a pen, that would solve both issues: you get a pen and you get branches. top of savannah so it wont cover anything, bottom side made of adobe base or stone

anyway, just for the theme and for the meme i gonna do it big_smile
maybe one bush and one snare near each rabbit hole then just run around with 3 baskets and a bucket to fix those bushes big_smile
and a pond in a medium distance so fast roads can be made

you the one telling me that isn't a problem to not advance in tech spooonwood big_smile
so if you make the pen and a proper bakery under it, its not a team effort generally
or it's a bad team effort cause door is on the left, pen on the left, isn't fully blocking the animals.
like the other day i attached the pen to the house cause it was like 4x2, so almost same resources i made it 5x5, but then was so weird having a door on side, and i kind of forgot that moving oven would be the best to block it
gh9HYEq.jpg

also instead of using the corner pillars, can we just use flat walls?
it's more of a top down, not an isometric view anyway
and side doors are so annoying to click on zoom, and chances are, people on zoom make bigger structures
also if you plaster and paint it, is more surface

did a blueprint for yaira and was kind of lazy managing the side walls, and he actually did it with flat walls ingame and didn't look that bad

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-03-21 04:17:56

antking:]#

people don't settle in savannas because of old habits. when the game first started out rabbit holes could die and you needed to be close to fertile pits to start farming. now I'm sure that that if you made a town in the savanna it would thrive more then others because of the easy access to clothes! and rabbits, and more wild wheat and carrots.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#7 2019-03-21 11:26:36

Villas

Many Eve`s Town is super close of a big savanna and it helped a lot, they have a lot of rabbit clothes. And this city is 7 days old, so a lot of clothes got old as well, but they keep having more cloth than people, what saves a lot of food, this town died several times, but never because lack of food, always because lack of girls. The problem is, people dont design towns because they dont live somuch due to updates (that kill all people in all servers) and lack of girls in the dawn, Many Eve`s Town is 7 days old because of a bell and some roads that helped people find it, also it was the center of eve spiral twice.

#8 2019-03-22 16:48:10

Amon

I'd preffer to build over on savannah ground, I am a big fan of the yellow grass. It doesen't really matter where you settle unless it's one of the big ugly three.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#9 2019-03-22 20:01:22

pein

yeah, i would even like badland towns when there are multiple veins
best i seen was 8-9 veins same spot, my second life closeby to a town i started

also i remember a gen 71? camp which had 2 veins under it and based mostly on badlands and desert
the empty space is quite good sometimes

#10 2019-03-22 22:55:25

Amon

Yeah, there's not much reason to just pitch into the green biome unless you want to put a farm right next to a soil pit, you'll be hauling it over for the first few rounds either way, you'll be going out for food either way as well. While starvation is more imminent, it'll cull off the people who do not conserve food hmh.

Might be a nice change of sceenery though. I wish there were explotable and vulnerable rivers though so settling next to ponds is not so urgently required for survival.

Last edited by Amon (2019-03-22 22:57:04)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer