One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 20:53:39

futurebird

Education of the baby. "Child tours"

With the changes in heat, I've been born in a lot of towns where I spend my whole infancy in a nice warm nursery, with a rather non-responsive nanny, toddle out the door and then starve since I don't know where anything is.

I've started taking my babies on a tour before putting them in the nursery. I show them the berry fields, the pie area, I point out soup "to eat when older" I show them the smith, carrot fields, other farms and suggest a few jobs.  I don't give them one job just show them around, tell them what is possible.

Then I put them in the nursery, dress them if we didn't find anything while on the tour. Tell 'em they are cute and they better not starve or I'll kill them.

It worked!

In the lives that I did that all of my kids who didn't suicide (lot of that, real trash problem IMO) made it to at least their teens. I jude how I did by how long my kids live.

I need to start saying "when you have kids, you must take them on a tour as I did for you"

"that is our way child"

----

I think it would be even better to find out which job they want and help them get started, but by the time I do the tour, whatever I'm responsible for is already on fire (or NOT on fire) so, for medium and large villages with nursery's this seems good.

Also, please consider feeding toddlers even if they are dressed and picking up objects. The whole "you have hair, now live on your own" concept is kinda deadly.

1. What was the best mom you ever had, why?
2. What are efficient ways to improve survival for kids?
3. What are key things to mention on a child tour?
4. Why is it so hard to type in this game?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-02-21 21:11:59

DestinyCall

Re: Education of the baby. "Child tours"

OutI don't do this with every child, but I was in a village the other day that was very short on clothing.  We had a fire to keep the babies warm, but they were in real trouble without clothing.   While I was working on fast tracking more clothes, I started giving my kids a bowl of gooseberries and told them to keep it with them always.  I also made sure to tell them what we needed most - at the time we were short on water and rabbits, among other things.

This places a greater burden on the food supply, but it helps prevent accidental early starvation in naked kids while allowing them to move around and work at a younger age.  Even if your children have clothes, this can be a good idea, to reduce avoidable fatalities, or if you want to teach a young child something away from easy food sources.

Alternatively, they could stay by the fire as long as possible to minimize pip loss until they are older or better clothed.  But this limits their ability to learn and work.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-21 21:22:42)

#3 2019-02-21 21:49:43

Peremptive

If you don't drop off the kid to the wet nurse, you waste your own time. This used to be the way before the update. If the village is not low on food or running out of water/iron you could always take that time, but not if the settlement is struggling.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-21 21:50:26)

#4 2019-02-21 22:55:57

wondaland

I try to give all of my children a tour but as Peremptive mentioned in times of crisis there isn't any time. This is why, if I am nanny, I repeat basic info (farm south, sheep north etc) and if not ask the current nanny to do so. This at least gives babies enough knowledge to get to where they need to be. Additionally having a baby appropriate food source close to the nursery is necessary. Towns designed with a berry farm two or more screens away are quite dangerous. Having a food runner dropping off popcorn or bowls of berries can help with this but I still think the farm itself should be close considering most children prefer to and probably should work there until they are a bit older.

#5 2019-02-22 00:02:16

Sanshuba

It is a lineage saver.
I do that in small villages too. I show the kids the bananas spot, rabbits spot, soil/water and suggest some jobs, so my kids starved less often and can work faster since they know where things are.

I would like to write more easily on this game. Books and scrolls should be a good way to teach future generations. At least being able to create pencil with sharp stones or flint chips and coal. Knives are too dangerous, librarians shouldn’t use knives. Because of that we don’t see books and cards frequently.

#6 2019-02-22 00:33:23

Averest

If you are pre-sheep and have a cooperative baby, you can give them a backpack, wear one yourself and together you can bring two soil back. You can also do this with yew branch kindling and a handaxe. Between the two of you you can bring back seven kindling in one trip if you can forrage on the way for yourself.

If you have to go far, bring food with you but replace it with the item collected.

Other collecting with baby ideas: bananas, round rocks for wells, limestone for walls, iron.

Last edited by Averest (2019-02-22 00:37:42)

#7 2019-02-22 01:37:49

pein

yeah it helps but who has the time?

also if the baby isnt totally dumb, its a waste of time to take to berries, and say these are the berries, your kid is small not blind
so yeah, just ask if its new, i guess everyone wants a tour, is better than standing in place but is quite ineffective

i totally agree, if the kid has hair, still ahs 1.5 min to stay in your arm, you could give tour after hair and drop kid when you are hungry, they will get starving message at 4 and waste food anyway. if you drop them at 7-8 bar then they can eat bread or carrot too, this can be another job, nanny just needs to feed until they older, other lady give tour, guys could teach one  each. guys wont pop other babies so they can be more patient with kids and not disturbed by others. lot of times my first kid asks something and until i answer i got one more, and if i say anything the kid thinks i say to him.

Last edited by pein (2019-02-22 02:03:21)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-02-22 01:50:08

wondaland

pein wrote:

yeah it helps but who has the time?

also if the baby isnt totally dumb, its a waste of time to take to berries, and say these are the berries, your kid is small not blind
so yeah, just ask if its new, i guess everyone wants a tour, is better than standing in place but is quite ineffective

i totally agree, if the kid has hair, still ahs 1.5 min to stay in your arm, you could give tour after hair and drop kid when you are hungry, they will get starving message at 4 and waste food anyway. if you drop them at 7-8 bar then they can eat bread or carrot too, this can be another job, nanny just needs to feed until they older, other lady give tour, guys could teach oen each.

I generally find a quick run around with mom helpful so I don't waste my time running around to see what is where and who's doing what. It prevents getting in people's way and helps you be productive sooner. The mother doesn't need to explain everything but a quick lap around town is useful.

#9 2019-02-22 03:43:22

Spoonwood

These made for good suggestions before the update.  After the update also.  Anyone telling you otherwise, I don't think quite realize the importance of teamwork.

I think telling children the direction of all known close biomes can help.  That includes deserts and jungles, because even if bananas don't make for a good food choice to bring home, or this generation won't be making newcomen technology, such information might come as more important to their descendants.  That said, the direction of biomes can also hurt.  Someone might bring a bear to town more easily, because of that information or hide things in some biome because of that information.  But, I think that sort of risk comes as worth it.  And you don't bear responsibility for any of your children behaving badly just by telling them biome locations.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-02-22 05:15:52

futurebird

I think talking during the tour is good to check baby isn't afk. It's tempting to zone out a little while a baby.

My tours were mostly good today, but one kid first said he was afk (ok my mistake should have checked)

Then he said something so rude, I don't want to type it out.

I put him in the snow.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#11 2019-02-22 10:06:23

WalrusesConquer

The best mom I ever had, was really funny and always gave me snacks "for work" till she died.
May, rest in peace

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#12 2019-02-22 10:29:59

pein

best mom was mirelli, adopted me and we couldn't be named if our mother didn't do it(was early on, lot of months ago), he called me on a name, Oliver
i felt special
and they were trying to figure out if we got the tools  for the pen
i marched 5 biomes away to get iron making a huge spiral around camp which was mostly ice surrounding, no wonder no one got far
i brought iron, she recognized me 20 years after and was the best thing she called me Oliver
and i made shears and knife and i was happy i made her proud

she got a special style to test out kids, and i recognize her any game based on thing she says or does
also stabs you in the ass if you are rude

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2019-02-22 10:34:50

Nepumuk

I hate extended baby tours. I get that it's supposed to be helpful but it often just seems like excessive roleplaying. You can tell babies, berries are left, stew farm is right or something like that. No need for a two minute tour imo.

The best mom I ever had were all moms that were actually working while raising me and not just standing around.

Last edited by Nepumuk (2019-02-22 10:35:53)

I am Eve Speed.

#14 2019-02-22 11:38:24

golmock

I love roleplaying mom.
And I love who tells me where the essential resources are and what the village needs.

The worst mother is the one who leaves me in front of the fire without even giving name.
I was forgotten by everyone and died warm, shouting F.

Last edited by golmock (2019-02-22 11:40:05)

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#15 2019-02-22 11:49:33

breezeknight

i don't like tours but i don't mind
i don't like being asked if i'm new either, though i ask kids if they are new, just to know what they know, but to be honest, it's useless, since who knows what it means to be "not new", most of the players die anyway

one sees pretty quick if a player is new or not, experience players are independend, don't run around, don't mimick for kicks & can find their way to berry farm even without a tour, can set their home marker, can care for the most important things to the settlement or they at least can do something useful like build roads, plant stew, make well, get wood, remove corpses ...

if a player asks what job has to be done, then i know that's an inexperienced player, cause how should a female busy with babies know what's really needed ? female lives in OHOL are quite limited, makes me wonder if that's not already mysogynic

if i have the time then i usually go around & tell the kid some things, mostly for myself because it is so boring to be the mother in this game, same as it is to be the kid, kids can't even play in OHOL, can't they ?

either i am silent as mother, but i am trying to name all my kids though at times it is very difficult, especially if several babies pop out short after another & are among other babies
or i ramble complaining about the game & other players mad
so, if you meet a silent mother who names you or a complaing mother, that might be me lol

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-02-22 11:50:42)

#16 2019-02-22 13:42:36

Nepumuk

"how should a female busy with babies know what's really needed ?"

THIS attitude right there is one of the big problems the game currently has. Why on earth would it be acceptable that a mother doesn't know what's going on? It's not. If you're a mother your job isn't just to pop out babies and name them. You should be aware of what is going on around town. Do we have enough food to actually support these babies you are raising? What are the most needed jobs etc.

I routinely see three or four women in the nurseries just standing there holding kids not doing anything at all, not even keeping the fire going, not getting clothes,not closing the doors, not taking out the corpses, not firing the oven, nothing. When I ask them about it they all act like it's impossible that one or two of them ever leave that little box and go get stuff that is needed. Guess what, that's incredibly lazy and being a female in game is no excuse for that.

If anything I feel it's the mothers that should go on a tour now and then to stay up to date on what is happening in town.

Last edited by Nepumuk (2019-02-22 13:43:46)

I am Eve Speed.

#17 2019-02-22 17:19:02

Amon

Lately I just dump them in the nursery and it makes me feel so bad because I need to work. (Anyone noticed the subtle social commentary in this playstyle?) But I used to, and still do occasionally, and probably should more occasionally (before dumping them at the nursery again) is to:
-Hold the baby and give it a quasi tour, just run around the camp important spots (smithy, pen, farms, water). They can't explore efficiently on their own anyway so I can easily do that for them so when they are useful they can get quickly to work instead of spending time running around looking. The scouting out also gives the current situation on things (what needs more work/what is in total neglect), which helps the baby decide what is needed.

Often enough I tell them what we need, or what I am working on or where I'm working at so the child can easily find me. But most of the time the kid is smart enough to know where to work on their own.

Last edited by Amon (2019-02-22 17:20:17)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#18 2019-02-22 18:23:31

happynova

It can be handy just to ask the kid if the want a tour, assuming you have time to give one.  Usually they'll say yes, and in my experience they're often really grateful for it.  If they say no, I generally assume that they've either been in that town before or have the zoom out mod and can see everything anyway, in which case it's not really necessary.

#19 2019-02-23 07:54:12

pein

yeah, generally a town where people cant keep up a fire, while firewood is there, every single one of them deserves to be snowballed
and generally every single one of them would die from it as they are careless about everything else

generic responses to kids like "help farm"
to me it means " i cant compost, i just eat what others produce, i see that we struggling with food, i just raised you cause that's a generally accepted behavior, but i don't give a fuck what happens with you from now on"
never ever heard any mom to say: "get firewood, i just dumped the last one in the fire"
rarely heard any of them to say "im new and maybe that person outside knows better"
and if i ever tell the kid they are more likely to say "its my kid don't tell them what to do". or "do it yourself cause not enough i  leach on you, i consider myself equal or above you for my existence or gender or that i want to chat"
nobody should be offended if someone suggests a job if they do nothing.

the best jobs for this purpose are egg cooking and board cutting, keeps them occupied, somewhat useful, and you can build upon it.

Last edited by pein (2019-02-23 07:54:48)

Board footer