You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-18 19:25:58

Booklat1

Re: So About Berry Eaters...

these are the kind you put in takos

#27 2019-02-18 19:31:32

antking:]#

have you tried a beam burrita? I heard their great!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#28 2019-02-18 21:21:52

Greep

I think most of the complex food is going to be nearly impossible to make in a regularly starving village.  Those beans and corn for stew will just be eaten while being prepared.  Others require ceramics and your town will probably only have enough for the mutton pies, that you have to make anyways since it's "free" with sheep.

Berries aren't bad, just water inefficient.  It's just the pond requirement for a town went from 3 to 15.  Suicide if you have less.

Last edited by Greep (2019-02-18 21:25:36)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#29 2019-02-18 21:31:05

betame

To chime in,
Milc of course is OP, and also mutton bies are meta, but

If you're optimizing iron, berries are great
If you're optimizing soil, stew is great
If you're optimizing labor, idk but soil seems to take the most time to make from scratch

also there's water, but it isn't usually scarce.

Oh, and about yum and why corn/ bad foods are bad

Really happy to see most of y'all on here understand the food meta!

Last edited by betame (2019-02-19 02:43:19)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#30 2019-02-18 22:23:17

stew

When ranting about berry eater I have to remember that a lot of people don't have the zoom mod. For them it's much harder to see where food is. When hungry and you run into the kitchen just to find it empty, then have to check 100 bowls by running around to find something eatable is hard. With zoom we can just zoomout, see if there is food in the kitchen, or we see that there is a new stew setup, or we easy find natural resources. But without zoom you have to run around all time. You will never find out there is a new stew pot if you not accidentally run into it. And therefore, without zoom, it's so much easier to just run for the berrys. Because they are easy to find and all together.

#31 2019-02-18 22:42:44

DestinyCall

Booklat1 wrote:

Green beams get you 30 food.

Wait .. do green beans actually get 30 food?     That would put them pretty close to gooseberry or carrots. 

I thought it was only 12 food for a bowl of green beans and 20 food from four ears of fresh corn.   Green beans are really crappy.

betame wrote:

To chime in,
Milc of course is OP, and also mutton bies are meta

Milc, bies, takos, burritas, and beams!   They are the new meta.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-18 22:46:44)

#32 2019-02-18 23:01:26

Booklat1

DestinyCall wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

Green beams get you 30 food.

Wait .. do green beans actually get 30 food?     That would put them pretty close to gooseberry or carrots. 

I thought it was only 12 food for a bowl of green beans and 20 food from four ears of fresh corn.   Green beans are really crappy.

betame wrote:

To chime in,
Milc of course is OP, and also mutton bies are meta

Milc, bies, takos, burritas, and beams!   They are the new meta.

it's actually 24, I fucked that up. 6x4 not 6x5 as i remembered. Berries are still better by any metric except growth speed. In the uncommon case this matters it's better to grow carrots for 5x7 and some few minutes more. Carrots also make more seeds.

In response to Greep, I also don't think people are eating beans made for stew. People don't even recognize pies as food, let alone green beans. Those also grow very fast and dry also fast, so it's not easy to hit the precise moment when it's growing to eat it. If anything this update makes feeding sheep more needed and compost as well. We should be trying our very best to get pies (rabbit too tbh).

#33 2019-02-18 23:05:27

stew

betame wrote:

To chime in,
Milc of course is OP, and also mutton bies are meta, but

If you're optimizing iron, berries are great
If you're optimizing soil, stew is great
If you're optimizing labor, idk but soil seems to take the most time to make from scratch

also there's water, but it isn't usually scarce.

Oh, and about yum and why corn/ bad foods are bad

Really happy to see most of y'all on here understand the food meta!

Hey beatme really interesting stuff you have here! Also I like that you try to take labor into some calculations. Yumbonus can actually lower the labor cost by not having to get back to food so often. However if you work close to the kitchen or have a stewpot next to your workplace, you don't spend much time to get the food. But if you work a bit outside and dont have a packpack with a pie in it, then YUM can add extra value by not having to run for food so much. On the other side YUM can also increase labor time, when you search the one food you not eaten yet.
I personally like to YUM when population count is lower and I know where each food is. With higher population I waste to much time searching for the food I need, as food gets eaten and replaced somewhere else pretty often. I still YUM to maybe 5, but sometimes I also just eat the same pie over and over again.

In crowed bigger towns the labor cost can increase massively. If I cook stew alone, I can be fast and produce stew after stew. But in a city with too many people I may take 10x the time to produce a stew. First there is no sharp stone left in the city and I don't want to steel it from other workplaces. So i get me one. Then all my bowls get stolen in the middle of making. Then someone plant milkweed in the soil i prepared for the squash seed. Then there is no more soil for a new row for the squash seed.. And so on. Labor costs can increase very high in too crowded citys and I think this can be one reason why citys dies out.

#34 2019-02-18 23:26:40

DestinyCall

Booklat1 wrote:

it's actually 24, I fucked that up. 6x4 not 6x5 as i remembered. Berries are still better by any metric except growth speed. In the uncommon case this matters it's better to grow carrots for 5x7 and some few minutes more. Carrots also make more seeds.

Ah, you are correct!  I think I was mixing up the numbers for popcorn - 3x4 (total 12 pips) with the value for green beans - 4x6 (total 24 pips).   

Green beans are still pretty crappy, since a single row of corn produces four ears of corn, so if you make those into popcorn you get 48 pips for the same resource investment as a single bowl of green beans.  Popcorn is arguably better than gooseberry or carrots in this regard.   Since both of those crops product 35 pips per row.   Plus, with beans, you must use a bean to grow more bean plants.  With corn, there is no re-seeding cost.   Carrots also suffer from re-seeding cost.   Gooseberries have an initial cost for each bush, but it is one-time only.  This is another reason to keep the berry patch small.  Renewing an old bush is not only faster, but also less costly compared with growing a new berry bush.

I don't know why, but I really enjoy food math.  >.>

#35 2019-02-18 23:52:40

CrazyEddie

stew wrote:

In crowed bigger towns the labor cost can increase massively. If I cook stew alone, I can be fast and produce stew after stew. But in a city with too many people I may take 10x the time to produce a stew. First there is no sharp stone left in the city and I don't want to steel it from other workplaces. So i get me one. Then all my bowls get stolen in the middle of making. Then someone plant milkweed in the soil i prepared for the squash seed. Then there is no more soil for a new row for the squash seed.. And so on. Labor costs can increase very high in too crowded citys and I think this can be one reason why citys dies out.

This is a powerful insight.

#36 2019-02-19 00:08:18

pein

don't forget carrot pies, those are more optimal than raw carrot
still multi bite but lower nutrition, basically pies for children

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#37 2019-02-19 01:16:55

DestinyCall

Yeah, carrot pies are not as bad as berry, but not as good as meat.   

If you have no meat, it is arguably better to make carrot pies rather than berry.  Best option is to go find some meat.   I generally avoid carrot pies on general principle because I don't like a pie that requires two bites to fill my hunger bar as an adult.   I've had a few close calls when I grabbed a carrot pie by mistake and didn't realize I was essentially carrying around half of a pie.   If you have the meat, rabbit or mutton pie is a better use of the wheat.  If you have meat and an abundance of carrots, carrot rabbit pie is a better option.   

You could make them for yum ... but who would even notice in order to chain them?

#38 2019-02-19 01:45:18

Booklat1

Im pretty sure berries still cost less iron than carrot pies. Those tillings count for A LOT of iron.

#39 2019-02-19 02:34:15

DestinyCall

True.   The lack of iron consumption with berries is a significant benefit over the long-term.   Soil and water are both renewable and should be in decent supply.  Iron is much harder to maintain in good amount.   

Plus carrots are so messy and require more over-sight to prevent over-seeding or seed shortage.

Board footer