One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-12-20 19:07:27

Psykout

Re: Getting Stabbed for Teaching New People

Greep wrote:

A bunch more time passes as the town grows.  Brown haired girl says the town is boring.  Several times.  I say "maybe you're the boring one" she says "maybe"

I knew that daughter was no good... She kept coming up to me saying its boring when I was in the middle of restarting the compost cycle. The town was loaded full of stuff, could have gotten a car going easily if everyone was doing their stuff. Sad to see the lineage cave because of the murders, I was the eve that spawned into the dead town and restarted it, tried to name all my kids Jake StateFarm but only got state as a last name so it didn't continue long.

#27 2018-12-20 19:14:40

Sylverone

Hah, I thought that was what was going on when I saw those two names.

#28 2018-12-21 19:00:13

Gederian

Gederian wrote:

If you abandon me as a kid I will probably murder you if I grow up. You tried to kill me, i'll kill you. I don't care if you're the Pope.

Booklat1 wrote:

You are one very special snowwflake if you do this and you should feels disgusted. People won't always raise you, it's not their obligation. Grow the fuck up.

Wait, you're choosing to murder innocent babies AFTER THEY ARE BORN because it's inconvenient and I am the one with issues?

Don't you understand the purpose of this game is an experiment on how you treat others? You just got a mark in the naughty column smile

#29 2018-12-21 21:31:28

Crumpaloo

Psykout wrote:
Greep wrote:

A bunch more time passes as the town grows.  Brown haired girl says the town is boring.  Several times.  I say "maybe you're the boring one" she says "maybe"

I knew that daughter was no good... She kept coming up to me saying its boring when I was in the middle of restarting the compost cycle. The town was loaded full of stuff, could have gotten a car going easily if everyone was doing their stuff. Sad to see the lineage cave because of the murders, I was the eve that spawned into the dead town and restarted it, tried to name all my kids Jake StateFarm but only got state as a last name so it didn't continue long.

Yeah i was the first one to die in the muder chain, 4 people in total died, two left, one died of old age, and i think the only girl left went crazy.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#30 2018-12-21 21:36:17

Crumpaloo

Gederian wrote:
Gederian wrote:

If you abandon me as a kid I will probably murder you if I grow up. You tried to kill me, i'll kill you. I don't care if you're the Pope.

Booklat1 wrote:

You are one very special snowwflake if you do this and you should feels disgusted. People won't always raise you, it's not their obligation. Grow the fuck up.

Wait, you're choosing to murder innocent babies AFTER THEY ARE BORN because it's inconvenient and I am the one with issues?

Don't you understand the purpose of this game is an experiment on how you treat others? You just got a mark in the naughty column smile

Bruh theres a difference between actively stabbing people, and passivly ignoring a child that you dont wanna raise, if they REALLY wanna live they can just go to another villager and press f, people gotta understand that having and keeping kids isnt 100% optimal at anytime you are playing the game, thats why 90% of eve kids die...

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#31 2018-12-21 23:57:24

Gederian

Crumpaloo wrote:

Bruh theres a difference between actively stabbing people, and passivly ignoring a child.

I agree, letting a baby starve is WAY worse. Watching a kid die that wants to live is just wrong yet we have all come to accept it. This game is about taking care of others, not being selfish!

Villages don't fail because of too many people, they fail because of too many newbs/lazy people. More people is always good if you're good enough to give them jobs.

I just think standing there while a kid begs for food is the worse thing you can do in this game (besides people pens). Especially in the case of OP letting a girl die to teach a newb boy? He deserved to die by knife.

#32 2018-12-22 02:15:59

Crumpaloo

Gederian wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

Bruh theres a difference between actively stabbing people, and passivly ignoring a child.

I agree, letting a baby starve is WAY worse. Watching a kid die that wants to live is just wrong yet we have all come to accept it. This game is about taking care of others, not being selfish!

Villages don't fail because of too many people, they fail because of too many newbs/lazy people. More people is always good if you're good enough to give them jobs.

I just think standing there while a kid begs for food is the worse thing you can do in this game (besides people pens). Especially in the case of OP letting a girl die to teach a newb boy? He deserved to die by knife.

Ok so your saying that killing people knives is better then letting a bby die? Good to know

#33 2018-12-22 05:57:37

disoculated

Crumpaloo wrote:

Ok so your saying that killing people knives is better then letting a bby die? Good to know

Uhm, in general, uh.... yeah?  I think that sounds like something people in general should be in agreement on.  At least when phrased like that.

The OP says  "She ran off somewhere and at the time i had presumed she just starved to death."

Lol... man, that's pretty damn callous.  I've never killed any of the mothers that have done that to me personally, but there have been times I've sure as hell let everyone around know what kind of a crap parent they are (if I manage to survive).  But hey, OP didn't care enough to let his daughter have a life, daughter felt the same about OP.  Even stevens, right?

But if OP wants to teach people instead of having kids, maybe OP should /SIDS until born a boy?  So we don't have a girl life wasted just dooming incoming players to neglect and possibly abandoning the game because players they need to support them are neglectful jerks?  While they're being righteously indignant and all.

#34 2018-12-22 06:21:25

Lily

While I agree the person probably shouldn't stab you since they ended up perfectly fine in the end, you probably could of just fed her too. I would of just carried the baby around while still teaching the other person. In fact, that way you can teach both at once.

#35 2018-12-22 06:46:01

Crumpaloo

disoculated wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

Uhm, in general, uh.... yeah?  I think that sounds like something people in general should be in agreement on.  At least when phrased like that.

The OP says  "She ran off somewhere and at the time i had presumed she just starved to death."

Lol... man, that's pretty damn callous.  I've never killed any of the mothers that have done that to me personally, but there have been times I've sure as hell let everyone around know what kind of a crap parent they are (if I manage to survive).  But hey, OP didn't care enough to let his daughter have a life, daughter felt the same about OP.  Even stevens, right?

But if OP wants to teach people instead of having kids, maybe OP should /SIDS until born a boy?  So we don't have a girl life wasted just dooming incoming players to neglect and possibly abandoning the game because players they need to support them are neglectful jerks?  While they're being righteously indignant and all.

Ok, what i was saying initially is that killing someone that has been playing in the village for more then 30 minutes has alot more to lose then some random baby, this is because someone thats played in the same village that long and contributed that much would suffer alot more seeing all their progress be taken away from them then a baby who has just been born and has contributed nothing and therefor has little if anything to lose from dying shortly after birth. Also, i find it ironic that the person who was his first life and had no prior experince ever would have a lower chance for leaving the game then a greifer who knew how to, cooperate with another greifer, smith a knife, and stab me. So if i ever had to pick between who would leave first, id have to go with the new player that has no reason to stay over a greifer who gets kicks out of harassing people.

#36 2018-12-22 11:41:01

MultiLife

So people feel that they, as a baby, have a right to the life when spawned. But don't mothers have a right to not raise the kids they pop out? To me, a baby getting angry over a mom not raising them sounds ridiculous. They sound spoiled and pompous. Your mom is NOT obligated to raise you. You going around whining about crap parents and/or killing them is lunatic. To me at least. Like wtf.

Yesterday our camp raised like 6+ boys while we struggled to get by, our farm was constantly at the verge of dying. We had two girls, fighting for food as I ran for cactus fruits, eggs and rabbit, the boys doing sheep pen work and trying to expand the farm in time, running for iron/soil, needing food too.
I was out getting rabbits for the dwindling pies; smith and bakery were on green biome so we burned a lot of food due to cold, bunnies were far, no wheat was farmed, so I always got minimum amount of pies done and eaten real quick, same with eggs.
I birthed twin girls. I stared at them for a moment, thinking real hard on this one. We needed girls, twins would be awesome, but I had just exhausted all nearby cacti, cooked all nearby eggs, had all pies eaten, seen the berry field bearing minimum amount of berries, and I had no food on me as I was going back with rabbits. We still had two girls in camp, so I abandoned the twin babies. I calculated it so that the two wouldn't make it in the crowded early camp I struggled to keep fed already, at least one would die or I would die getting them there only to see the famine kill the the rest.
I apologized, saying "Sorry. No can do, good luck." I would've kept them if I hadn't been the food master for the camp and not known how bad it was with the food. But as I had been cooking my whole life I knew I couldn't support more. Cacti had been harvested, eggs were on a timer, berries were going to languishing, no wild foods for miles (only reason I made it through the rabbit trip was to run even further north to eat, it was that bad).

So people think it'd be justified to kill me due to not raising these twins? Not bringing them in to a famine? They'd say I did wrong and am a crap parent for not taking them in?
In the end we had only one girl, but the lineage went on for many generations. Not sure if it would've if I had raised the twins.

In another life, I was in a town, and my grandma picked me up to feed me berries. Mom abandoned me instantly. Maybe didn't even see me. Grandma was busy so I sat in the fields, a dying old man fed me too. I grew to a child. And had ZERO hard feelings towards my mom. She is playing a game too, and she can't control when she pops me out or if she does so at all. She is not obligated to raise me. I'm lucky if I am. And I make sure I find people to feed me in time if I know my mom won't. And I don't hold my mom responsible for anything, I would NEVER kill a mother who abandons. She has that right. She doesn't get to choose her pregnancies, she doesn't get the responsibility. Babies can suck it up and move on or get others to feed them. Sh1t happens. I find you ridiculous if you harbor a vengeance due to a mom not raising you.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-22 12:08:13)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#37 2018-12-22 12:31:18

pein

raising someone is a courtesy
a smart mom wil lconsider food, time and amount of other persons too
a smart baby will not run away just stays in a warm tile
not hard to raise babies but its not better to have more and more, especially females
you need 3 fertile ones, you need maybe one more each ten minutes
4+ is overkill, especially if no one teaches anything or no one coordinates or remember what others do
each person needs basket, bowl, clothes and food or people will kill each other for it
anyway its not that bad leaving a kid to starve , you are a baby, you got no choice, prove you are worthy

as a parent, you can totally feed a kid once and tell to run to someone else, maybe doesn't even load in and u kill him/her
but as for killing someone for abandoning you, doesn't worth it, only if it does because you are a boy, those people are dumb af, and will ruin the village with bad gender distribution and useless drama
you don't need 20 girls in the same time, you need one smart every 20 min, maybe 1-2 replacements but saying no is good sometimes, i just pick up the smart ones and dump mines if they don't know how to sit still in temperature, and its more efficient if i work and others raise babies, i was killed sneakily to many times by my kids and i don't expect it
and i seen many retards defending their griefer mothers

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#38 2018-12-22 20:57:44

disoculated

Crumpaloo wrote:

Ok, what i was saying initially is that killing someone that has been playing in the village for more then 30 minutes has alot more to lose then some random baby, this is because someone thats played in the same village that long and contributed that much would suffer alot more seeing all their progress be taken away from them then a baby who has just been born and has contributed nothing and therefor has little if anything to lose from dying shortly after birth. Also, i find it ironic that the person who was his first life and had no prior experince ever would have a lower chance for leaving the game then a greifer who knew how to, cooperate with another greifer, smith a knife, and stab me. So if i ever had to pick between who would leave first, id have to go with the new player that has no reason to stay over a greifer who gets kicks out of harassing people.

It really depends on how you look at it.  A person that's been playing for 30 minutes has only 30 minutes left, man!  A baby has 60!  Who's suffering is qualitatively larger now!?  wink
As for progress being taken away, everyone loses all of it at the end.  That's how the game works.  We all die.
And who knows?  Maybe they wouldn't have been so griefy if someone had given a crap about them when they come in?  Where were the parents...  oh... yeah... nm.
Some of the arguments here are for towns with zero resources.  That's a tough call.  I get it.  But that's not this case.  This case there wasn't a hard call, OP just feels it's OK for another player to die so they can do what they like... teaching.  OK, it's their 60 minutes.  The player who managed not to die takes it bad, and decides to spoil OPs enjoyment.  Both seemed willing to let the other die for their own selfish reasons IMHO.  And both got it! 

Woohoo!  Justice is SERVED!

#39 2018-12-22 21:14:45

Gederian

MultiLife wrote:

So people feel that they, as a baby, have a right to the life when spawned.

No rights are guaranteed. Just like your right to live after failing me as a mother. Also remember I said "probably kill you". In your case, maybe not. Remember, OP blatantly ignored her surrounded by so much food he could waste it to teach. He failed to teach rule #1: All life is precious! She deserved her revenge, I applaud her.

Lets face it, if you stood there and watched your kid starve to death in real life because you were busy, you would be frying on the electric chair. Few crimes deserve it but that one does.

#40 2018-12-22 21:56:39

Crumpaloo

Gederian wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

So people feel that they, as a baby, have a right to the life when spawned.

No rights are guaranteed. Just like your right to live after failing me as a mother. Also remember I said "probably kill you". In your case, maybe not. Remember, OP blatantly ignored her surrounded by so much food he could waste it to teach. He failed to teach rule #1: All life is precious! She deserved her revenge, I applaud her.

Lets face it, if you stood there and watched your kid starve to death in real life because you were busy, you would be frying on the electric chair. Few crimes deserve it but that one does.

I dont know how comparing the severity of a action in a video game in contrast to real life has any merrit as a supporting thesis for the justification of greifing in general. If i muder someone in a first person shooter game are you gonna SWAT the developers of the game because they aided in assisted homicide inside of a video game? No, thats stupid, and so is the connection of real life morals to that of a string of code. In general, no, in games not all life is precious, and if there is any value to a life in a video game if any, its to those that have contributed the most/experienced players, not a player that has just spawned and has therefore contributed nothing whatsoever. HOWEVER, not all players start as gods at their game and sometimes a good teacher can mean the difference on being engaged with a activity and abandoning it entirely, and thats what your faulty comparison of the real life to in-game mechanics fails to see. So if i gotta get stabbed to death just to help a new guy out, your damn sure im gonna do it. Also no, the games not a democracy, its just a group of strangers trying to cooperate together and have a lil fun along the way...

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2018-12-22 21:59:41)

#41 2018-12-23 01:00:08

MultiLife

I think it's just a person being immature and pissy for getting offended by a mom not raising them. I've never had trouble being raised by someone else. Like in this case too, they were raised by someone else anyways and then went on to waste time on name calling and getting revenge that did nothing but harm to everyone included. People are taking the game way too seriously, all that happens when a baby dies is a rebirth. Oh wow, how horrible...

Teaching a guy to do things is much more valuable than raising the 6th girl in a town. That town will die anyways, but getting to teach a willing guy in that place is the best thing that can be done as that knowledge will pass on to limitless amount of lives.
That kid who got abandoned and raised by someone else should've sucked it up and gone on their merry way to do something productive. But no, had to take offense and kill, which, again, did nothing good. Nothing. No lessons learned, nothing achieved but stopping a teaching process. Justice? Pfft. Yeah, right.
Eye for an eye an the world goes blind, hmm?

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-23 01:03:25)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#42 2018-12-23 21:16:38

Gederian

Crumpaloo wrote:

I dont know how comparing the severity of a action in a video game in contrast to real life has any merrit as a supporting thesis for the justification of greifing in general.

This game is more of a social experiment than a game so the comparisons to real life are entirely appropriate.

Edit: Killing a mom that wanted you dead is not greifing, killing all women and stealing tools is. Very different!

Last edited by Gederian (2018-12-23 21:18:08)

#43 2018-12-23 22:34:59

Crumpaloo

Gederian wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

I dont know how comparing the severity of a action in a video game in contrast to real life has any merrit as a supporting thesis for the justification of greifing in general.

This game is more of a social experiment than a game so the comparisons to real life are entirely appropriate.

Edit: Killing a mom that wanted you dead is not greifing, killing all women and stealing tools is. Very different!

The game is not a social experiment:

In the trailer he says "you are just a small link in a very long chain." So why would he say that if his intention was even about studying individual interactions if he just compared a individual in the game as being essentially worthless in the grand scheme of things? Because its not about the individuals themselves which is the core requirements for a social experiment, its about the in-game society as a whole, meaning thats the game is in fact, NOT a social experiment! It is a civilization-building experiment, which if you check the bottom paragraph of the store page it says right there in bold letters "civilization-building experiment"

Which means as far as Jason the creator of this game goes, people can say, do, and even code with the game in any way they please, and as long as it doesnt affect the entertainment for the majority of people that play this game, hes not gonna do a damn thing about it, and that includes recording what goes on at a one on one level with people in villages for "social experiment" purposes which, as ive already shown is not and has never been the intention of the game whatsoever.

So in short, NO, this wasn't a action done by someone who was weighing the moral choices and quandaries that were presented before them in relation to some grand social experiment that doesn't exist, they did it because they got a short temper and wanted to get a laugh out of it.

No i Wasn't Trying to Kill my Daughter:

Check every post on here about me talking about the situation, never once will i say i actively tried to stab the person in anyway. I wasn't even the person to kill her, the guy i was teaching did it. Even if i wanted to retaliate by stabbing her back i was already attacked preemptively out of the blue making her the person who started the killing and the cause of the chain murders of three other people.   

The fact that you are justifying someone who would actively kill someone who didn't wish any ill will leading to muliple deaths and a abandoned village is ridiculous and makes no other sense then if you already do stuff like this or are just trying to get a reaction...

#44 2018-12-24 01:51:01

Jk Howling

All I see now is people arguing over "a child's right to live" when in reality, this is a videogame. You take what, 2 minutes at most to starve when abandoned? And then you're onto the next life immediately, to a new family and scenario. The only difference is the 2 minutes of your time spent waiting to die.

What's the huge deal? It's not "a child" or an "all life is precious" issue. It's a bunch of pixels on a screen. You can respawn endlessly and play countless lives. You can't control where you might spawn in, but neither can the mother control when she pops out kids. If she can't take care of you, just move on to the next life.

-Has ascended to better games-

#45 2018-12-24 02:12:55

Crumpaloo

Jk Howling wrote:

All I see now is people arguing over "a child's right to live" when in reality, this is a videogame. You take what, 2 minutes at most to starve when abandoned? And then you're onto the next life immediately, to a new family and scenario. The only difference is the 2 minutes of your time spent waiting to die.

What's the huge deal? It's not "a child" or an "all life is precious" issue. It's a bunch of pixels on a screen. You can respawn endlessly and play countless lives. You can't control where you might spawn in, but neither can the mother control when she pops out kids. If she can't take care of you, just move on to the next life.

At this point the conversation keeps fragmenting into different arguments that honestly its not even worth replying so ima just leave the post as is.

#46 2018-12-24 08:52:21

Sylverone

Both teacher and killer did things that can be reasonably criticized. Teacher also did something that can be applauded, and which was defended when his student avenged him. Due to missing information it's hard to say whether the killer made any positive contributions. (...aside from the drama which is bound to be divisive.)

Hardcore moralizing about it is over the top. The nature of the situation in the game is very different from real life: we all know it is fantasy. The moralized arguments then go on to include parties' assumptions regarding "what the game is about". This actually seems to be one of the most divisive topics about this game, which I think speaks highly for its originality and the value of the game beyond just entertainment.

Here's the problem with arguing over "what the game is about", as I see it: You don't get to decide what the game is about. Neither does your opponent. Neither does Jason Rohrer. It's just not that simple. It's a matter of interpretation, and interpretations come from people, and people can disagree. And even someone who is wrong about something can present an insight you would miss. Have you ever seen a game or other kind of project which failed because the creator/organizer insisted on their idea of what the project was "about" even though their fans had arrived at a different relationship to it? The frustrated, antisocial artist? They made the mistake of thinking they get to decide what other peoples' interpretations "should" be. This mistake mostly results in personal bitterness. I'm not saying people should always compromise on their personal vision, but being unable to bear contact with others' perspectives is not strength.

It's fruitless to try and railroad fellow players based on what you want the game to be about. Especially when you reveal to them that you are judging them harshly over it. Different people play for different reasons, and value different things. Sometimes those things clash, and people end up unhappy. Sometimes negotiation and solutions are achieved, sometimes not.

Nothing is merely what it appears to be to one of us. It's always more, for better or worse. We are small. That could be seen as one thing the game is "about".

So how about we act out for ourselves what we think the game is "about", and see what becomes of it, maybe learning something on the way? To the degree we care, we can try and make our visions compatible. Usually, most people do. And usually that's a good thing.

Last edited by Sylverone (2018-12-24 09:03:59)

Board footer