One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-19 21:37:08

Crumpaloo

Getting Stabbed for Teaching New People

So just a couple of lives ago i started out in a familiar village, i had been born to a eve who had just found the abandon village and together we had loads of kids and managed to revive it. One of the kids i had, a boy, said as a matter of fact without me asking him

"im new... can you... teach me.."

Me: "yeah is this your first time?"

"yes"

Me: "well okay what do you wanna know?"

"everything"

So i started teaching him basics, how to take care of a berry farm, how to make baskets, how to make compost, fire, etc.. Somewhere in the middle of all this explaining i had a kid. Seeing as how the village already had a good pop and i was in the middle of teaching someone i just said "sorry bby teaching." She ran off somewhere and at the time i had presumed she just starved to death.

Was in the middle of showing him the stuff you needed to create compost when the girl came back as a toddler. She said stuff like "you shit" and "bby too". Probably the only funny part is when i was teaching him how to make it and she kept adding on that i needed to add sh*t and that thats what i was. She picked up a few things i was using to teach him but eventually just wandered off.

Last thing i taught him was how to make a fire, during this she came back as a adult and said stuff like "why did you treat me bad" to which i responded "because i was teaching" which i already said when she was born, and you know what she said? "no excuse". around the same time the same person approached me and the guy i was teaching with a knife, i quickly ran away assuming they intended to use it on me, but that i also needed to get juniper tinder to get the fire going.

After i got back with the tinder i told him what to do in a certain order to get the fire up and running. After a min or two he got the fire going, a few seconds of celebration later i had realized i just got stabbed by my daughter. My little sister, who was also a adult was saying something along the lines of how i shouldnt treat my daughter that way and how i was a terrible mother when i didn't want the kid to start with. My son who i was teaching, grabbed a knife and stabbed my daughter who had just stabbed me, with both of us dead by the end.

So my question for whoever stabbed me is what were you thinking? Im taking time out of my day to teach a new player, which by the way, was his very FIRST life, how to function so he doesnt get frustrated and quit the game, and you guys are gonna stab me just because i didnt want to take care of children while teaching him? Its bad enough that theres no good video tutorials for this game, but now you are gonna actively deter people from teaching their kids just because your mother wouldnt feed you? As to go so far as to stab her? If i had a dime for every mom that, wouldnt feed me, dropped me on mosquito's, and dropped me off on the other side of the map for me to starve to death id have enough to just buy another game. Ive even lived those situations and NEVER thought of trying to retaliate on them, why? Because revenge is a vicious cycle, entire villages can be wiped out just because people see someone with a bloody knife and assume they greifed when they could of just saved the village from one themselves, and then these people are gonna stab me just cause i didnt feed them? Outta my face with that bs.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2018-12-19 21:39:40

Uncle Tensticks

Re: Getting Stabbed for Teaching New People

You got roleplayed.

#3 2018-12-19 21:47:03

Crumpaloo

Uncle Tensticks wrote:

You got roleplayed.

Roleplay? Im sorry but last time i checked, people whos parents abandon them dont usually STAB THEM TO DEATH IN REAL LIFE. This was less roleplay and more of a attempt to get a kick out of hurting people.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#4 2018-12-19 21:50:06

Uncle Tensticks

Crumpaloo wrote:
Uncle Tensticks wrote:

You got roleplayed.

Roleplay? Im sorry but last time i checked, people whos parents abandon them dont usually STAB THEM TO DEATH IN REAL LIFE. This was less roleplay and more of a attempt to get a kick out of hurting people.

I'm sure they got a kick out of hurting you. But at the same time, "she was abandoned and wanted revenge". I don't think that that is curse worthy. She played it out her entire life. It even sounds like she was talking to others about it.

#5 2018-12-19 21:51:14

Fae

Okay...no. That isn't 'you got roleplayed'. That is just somebody being a dick. I've gotten ignored by my mother's PLENTY of times - it doesn't make me be decide to kill them. Sometimes that person is just busy and it is clear.

That person may have very well been trying to stir the pot, as it was. Sorry that had to happen to you.

#6 2018-12-19 21:52:09

Uncle Tensticks

If you look at it from a meta game stand point, no roll-playing, she was definitely in the wrong and it was very nice of you to help a new player. We need more of that. Someone spent most of their adult life teaching me to bake once- and now I pass it on.

But from a roll-playing perspective, you abandoned this child, scarred her for life and she had twenty years to stew about it before deciding to end your life.

#7 2018-12-19 22:00:40

Crumpaloo

Uncle Tensticks wrote:

If you look at it from a meta game stand point, no roll-playing, she was definitely in the wrong and it was very nice of you to help a new player. We need more of that. Someone spent most of their adult life teaching me to bake once- and now I pass it on.

But from a roll-playing perspective, you abandoned this child, scarred her for life and she had twenty years to stew about it before deciding to end your life.

Well from what you just told me looking through my "meta lense" i should:

1. Not teach new players for fear of getting stabbed OR

2. If i do wanna teach people i need to stab my other children preemptively so they cant retaliate and

3. Basically stab anyone ive ever gotten into a argument with just because of the fact they can use that as roleplay ammunition for when they find a knife to kill me with and after

4. Role-play any greifing that i wanna do so it looks more sympathetic to the people it doesn't directly affect

5. Kill anyone with a knife if i dont know them personally

6. Kill the entire village so that anyone that could use a knife on me is dead

7. Go server hopping and kill everyone and greif so that way i cant be stabbed

8. Keep greifing until the game is dead and no players are left to try to stab me

So if you wanna talk about roleplay and meta perspectives, theres your meta perspective that im getting from what you just told me

#8 2018-12-19 22:09:24

Crumpaloo

Fae wrote:

Okay...no. That isn't 'you got roleplayed'. That is just somebody being a dick. I've gotten ignored by my mother's PLENTY of times - it doesn't make me be decide to kill them. Sometimes that person is just busy and it is clear.

That person may have very well been trying to stir the pot, as it was. Sorry that had to happen to you.

Yeah i get uncle is trying to look at it from both sides but this was a one sided attempt to ruin mine and others enjoyment of the game and no amount of rationalization makes it ok, and saying things like that feeds into the people that do this.

#9 2018-12-19 22:17:08

Gederian

If you abandon me as a kid I will probably murder you if I grow up. You tried to kill me, i'll kill you. I don't care if you're the Pope.

#10 2018-12-19 22:20:31

lionon

Uncle Tensticks wrote:

You got roleplayed.

No, this is seemingly the new meta among griefers since a few days now the "subtle sabotage with plausible deniability" days are over (maybe thanks to my post about it), the new meta is using the slightest excuse to cause drama and then claim your not a griefer, because of the "justified" drama...

#11 2018-12-19 23:04:50

Crumpaloo

Gederian wrote:

If you abandon me as a kid I will probably murder you if I grow up. You tried to kill me, i'll kill you. I don't care if you're the Pope.

Ok:

1. Just because your mom doesnt wanna feed you doesnt mean you cant just ask someone else to feed you

2. Moms that dont want anymore kids can as it turns out, STILL HAVE KIDS, so when they dont want anymore, they dont actively try to kill you with a knife like you just said, they just dont feed you, either understand and get reborned, or if you REALLY wanna stay, go to another mom and press f. These petty excuses for roleplay murder are just intellegent greifers and its gotta stop.

3.If your mom actively wanted to kill you, id just pick you up as a baby and run you so far out of town that theres no way you could find another mom in time, thats not what i did in this case, i just didnt feed her at the village, so in this case, im sure you can understand that actively trying to kill your spawn, and simply ignoring them are two entirely different things right?

#12 2018-12-19 23:08:44

Crumpaloo

lionon wrote:
Uncle Tensticks wrote:

You got roleplayed.

No, this is seemingly the new meta among griefers since a few days now the "subtle sabotage with plausible deniability" days are over (maybe thanks to my post about it), the new meta is using the slightest excuse to cause drama and then claim your not a griefer, because of the "justified" drama...

May legit start going around and killing people that are cursing out other villagers, these days its just one step away from someone getting stabbed. Thats what i contemplated doing to the daughter when she started talking down to me, i knew she had ill will i just didnt know how far she was gonna take it, so if thats the only way to protect myself and others, i got no problem being cursed to preemptively stop a suspected greifer.

#13 2018-12-19 23:55:13

Greep

I actually know this entire story, as I took some part in it.  I've been recording my lives on the steam forum, and I assume you were the "flake" here and tiffany, the other blonde, is the one that stabbed you.  Copypasted story below.  It's confusing as fuck.

TLDR.  They had their reasons and they might have been wrong xD  Everyone was wrong actually.  Fun stuff.  I have no idea who did the right thing there.  In any case, it's funny when someone thinks people are just griefers when there are potentially good reasons to all of their actions.

Edit: If anyone's curious about the other two people in lineage, Lila state, Jakes son, is the newbie she was teaching compost and fire.  And the brown haired girl who killed her son afterwards is another of Jake's offspring.

*****106 Jake State II (male) RIP 60
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2458351

Murder town!  Interesting one too.  Lies and murder everywhere.  And crazy people.

Born into a revived town.  Just revived and long dead, so first job is massive wheat fields to get baskets going and making sure compost can be revived.  No existing ripe wheat seeds so I need to get some.

Big sister is kind of a flake.  She's teaching some newbie to compost while her daughter is running around yelling F.  I manage to get a berry in her and say her "guess your mom doesn't love you" and she says "no prob"

Some brown haired girl picks up a knife and drops it a bunch.  I hastily pick it up and drop it out of town.  I had a knife, but that's not quite enough for me to kill someone over.  Very suspicious.

A bunch more time passes as the town grows.  Brown haired girl says the town is boring.  Several times.  I say "maybe you're the boring one" she says "maybe"

More town work.  Then a death scream as someone is murdered.  I see Big sister knifed and some blonde running away with a knife.  If you kill someone I know is innocent AND you run away with no words, you're dead, no questions asked.  Luckily for her, the game is seriously underdeveloped when it comes to pvp and as she's running I drop my knife trying to right click her a bunch while she's running.  The neewbie from earlier gets in a a hit.

Brown haired girl shouts you idiot! a bunch and stabs the newbie.  i then stab the brown haired girl.  Hey, you wanted excitement remember? Well you got it lol.

I decided to look up the lineage and check out the murders.  Looks like I was in the right.  My guess is, either

A) An out of towner was killed by big sister, which would not show up in lineage.
B) Brown haired girl was just trolling us.  Seems likely due to previous behavior
C) She mixed up the two blonde women.
D) The "innocent" did something not innocent other than muder.
E) Brown haired girl was muttering something about starting an arena, maybe they were killing each other in sport.  Too bad communication and FOV is garbage in this game, so there is no way to do that without people thinking it's a murder.

Well everyone besides me is dead so case closed lel.

The last remaining girl starts going crazy and picks up an arrow when she's old enough, and starts running around. with a bow in circles with a horse cart, claiming she's preparing for "world pvp"  Okay.

I hand my knives over to some guy before dying. Crazy town.

Edit: Okay I figured it out based on their final words.  Tragic story.  Tiffany, the girl I was trying to stab that the newbie got, was the the girl I fed with berries from the beginning.  Her final words were "Love your daughter", and Jake says "Well I don't".  But, looking at lineage, the flake wasn't actually the mother, it was eve's last daughter, who must have grown too old to feed Tiffany, but I assumed my big sister was the mom because she was the closest female at the time.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-20 00:22:50)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#14 2018-12-20 00:25:30

Greep

This all makes so much more sense.  The crazy girl who survived the whole thing, before hand was saying "murder plot".  Which I'm assuming is your daughter, the brown haired girl, and Tiffany, the one who thought she was your daughter and ended up stabbing you, were talking about killing you.

That said, you might want to take this less seriously.  You took part in probably the best story I've lived through xD  I'd have found this whole thing very amusing.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-20 00:26:24)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#15 2018-12-20 00:30:05

Crumpaloo

Greep wrote:

This all makes so much more sense.  The crazy girl who survived the whole thing, before hand was saying "murder plot".  Which I'm assuming is your daughter, the brown haired girl, and Tiffany, the one who thought she was your daughter and ended up stabbing you, were talking about killing you.

That said, you might want to take this less seriously.  You took part in probably the best story I've lived through xD  I'd have found this whole thing very amusing.

I can brush off a random stabbing, but stabbing me for the reason of me wanting to teach a new person is low and any kind of satisfaction you get from that is pathetic. Thats the thing with greifers, they're sole purpose is to get fun out of ruining others, and for that they're all pathetic and not worth the energy.

#16 2018-12-20 05:31:41

Sylverone

I'd say if someone roleplays a criminal, then its reasonable to treat them like one. They chose the role, your tokens are yours to decide what to do with. That doesn't mean you get a free pass to do whatever and not be judged or criticized for it (that's greifer/criminal style thinking), but things even out somewhat in the long run anyhow, because responsible people learn from the experiences.

Maybe you could have done something different when the new child was born. Drop them off with someone else or something. "Could you be godmother for my daughter?" It does seem to me that your dismissal of them may have contributed to the situation, even if their response was out of line. They might have picked a different target at least. They didn't stab you because of your teaching, but because of your treatment of them (to the extent they weren't just lying which is unknown).

The way I see it is while I can communicate my problems with others which can and does help, in the end I am responsible for reducing ill will and and responsible players' vulnerability to attack to the degree I can. I am not responsible for others actions, but my actions influence their decisions and the character of the situation.

I dunno, it seems like overall you made good use of that life, and I applaud teachers, I've benefited from their help a few times already. But greifers don't pick their targets 100% randomly, so avoiding small slights can be wise when possible. In the end it was their choice though. Humor can also be an important defense, as well. After all, it's your emotions that greifers and trolls are targeting. So I wouldn't be to harsh on Greep. His story helps with understanding the whole situation.

#17 2018-12-20 06:06:02

Crumpaloo

Sylverone wrote:

I'd say if someone roleplays a criminal, then its reasonable to treat them like one. They chose the role, your tokens are yours to decide what to do with. That doesn't mean you get a free pass to do whatever and not be judged or criticized for it (that's greifer/criminal style thinking), but things even out somewhat in the long run anyhow, because responsible people learn from the experiences.

Maybe you could have done something different when the new child was born. Drop them off with someone else or something. "Could you be godmother for my daughter?" It does seem to me that your dismissal of them may have contributed to the situation, even if their response was out of line. They might have picked a different target at least. They didn't stab you because of your teaching, but because of your treatment of them (to the extent they weren't just lying which is unknown).

The way I see it is while I can communicate my problems with others which can and does help, in the end I am responsible for reducing ill will and and responsible players' vulnerability to attack to the degree I can. I am not responsible for others actions, but my actions influence their decisions and the character of the situation.

I dunno, it seems like overall you made good use of that life, and I applaud teachers, I've benefited from their help a few times already. But greifers don't pick their targets 100% randomly, so avoiding small slights can be wise when possible. In the end it was their choice though. Humor can also be an important defense, as well. After all, it's your emotions that greifers and trolls are targeting. So I wouldn't be to harsh on Greep. His story helps with understanding the whole situation.

The pattern of most greifers i interact with is that they no longer stab someone with no warning, they try to create a false pretense for killing someone, I.e "oh he stole my boards" or "he abandon me" In neither of these scenarios is the greifer being directly threatened with his life as to retaliate with stabbing someone to death. Yet they do it anyway, and try to justify it later, sorry but no amount of excuses could ever justify killing another player for any reason other then they're life is at stake. The shoot first ask questions later mentality that some players have is petty and only results in more needless deaths.

#18 2018-12-20 07:16:36

lionon

Greep wrote:

In any case, it's funny when someone thinks people are just griefers when there are potentially good reasons to all of their actions.

The thing is same as with the "griefer signs detected" post, it's all about the pattern. Sure not everyone putting latex in a bucket is a griefer, there are certainly good reasons to do so. Someone filling all the buckets with latex, and all the bowls with other difficult to clear stuff and sharpens all the stone, etc. is a griefer. Watch them a little and you'll see the pattern.

However in the recent times, this kind of of "plausible deniability" sabotaging has gone done and now those have gone over to willing full stir up as huge drama as possible because of every tiniest excuse.

For this particular case I can't tell, as I wasn't there.

I disagree getting abandoned by your mother is a kill-reason. First you would have respawned just right ahead, so what you lost? Second, if this would be the norm, nobody should rescue abandoned kids, because that would just create drama further down the road. Honestly it's stupid to hold a grudge because of that.

And yes there is an issue in the game mechanics trying to teach someone things while popping out more and more babies. I wouldn't abandon them, but just but minimal feeding care on the additional ones while I tend to the newbie willing to learn.

#19 2018-12-20 11:56:23

Sylverone

Crumpaloo wrote:

The pattern of most greifers i interact with is that they no longer stab someone with no warning, they try to create a false pretense for killing someone, I.e "oh he stole my boards" or "he abandon me" In neither of these scenarios is the greifer being directly threatened with his life as to retaliate with stabbing someone to death. Yet they do it anyway, and try to justify it later, sorry but no amount of excuses could ever justify killing another player for any reason other then they're life is at stake. The shoot first ask questions later mentality that some players have is petty and only results in more needless deaths.

We're pretty much agreed then. I tend to wonder how many greifer types commit crimes in real life.

lionon wrote:
Greep wrote:

In any case, it's funny when someone thinks people are just griefers when there are potentially good reasons to all of their actions.

The thing is same as with the "griefer signs detected" post, it's all about the pattern. Sure not everyone putting latex in a bucket is a griefer, there are certainly good reasons to do so. Someone filling all the buckets with latex, and all the bowls with other difficult to clear stuff and sharpens all the stone, etc. is a griefer. Watch them a little and you'll see the pattern.

However in the recent times, this kind of of "plausible deniability" sabotaging has gone done and now those have gone over to willing full stir up as huge drama as possible because of every tiniest excuse.

It's a frank and troublesome truth: Dishonest people prey on those who forgive and show pity. Yet forgiveness and trust are also key for cooperation. People who are less prone to forgiveness in the first place are less likely to become the victims of these sorts of people, but also more likely to be abrasive and unyielding to others. And the more forgiving types tend to get into debates with them. I actually fall pretty firmly on the forgiving side of the spectrum (very high agreeableness trait), but knowledge of how dishonest people operate and the incredible costs they cause everyone else lead me to not be so quick to condemn the less agreeable types. Both personality types have strengths and weaknesses, and of course most people are somewhere in the middle on this spectrum.

Basically, if you forgive everything, everything goes to hell, and if you forgive nothing, everything goes to hell, so you have to learn to discern each situation. Your personality just determines which side you default to when unsure, and there are costs and benefits to each tendency. What's actually more important in the long run is whether our goals are the same. If we are trying to make the game more enjoyable for honest players who aren't behaving overly selfishly, our differences in approach will mostly converge on the same solutions, though each side may present different insights.

#20 2018-12-20 12:10:14

Booklat1

Gederian wrote:

You are one very special snowwflake if you do this and you should feels disgusted. People won't always raise you, it's not their obligation. Grow the fuck up.

#21 2018-12-20 12:27:48

pein

i had this at the steam start that just too many kids so i let a few starve when im holding one, as i hate to be immobile and hate to raise 2 kids in cold moving, in bigger cities you can teach oen by holding one, its annoying to start over again so if the other kid misses out, you cant just tell all over again
but you can hold it while talking, you need 3 feedings only, just keep it on middle temp

as for a kid, if you got a lot of shit runs in forest with dumb eves, ofc  you want to stay in a city, so getting dumped doesn't feel good
i will kill my mother if it insults me and its useless person, or the granma who says its too many regardless of player skill, or any kidnapper who tries it multiple times, or racist, bad intentional noobs
also i will suicide as a girl if yo udont keep me as a boy, and don't ask meat least
i got no problem with death as long as i see the city is in trouble, generally i will go on my own if i see im not needed, cause too many girls or famine ongoing

as far as i see, there is like 2 people conspiring , then someone dies, than people start stabbing each other with no question
and because they suck at it, they end up on 1 kill, then comes the lot of dumb babies who even mistake you with others or stab people randomly, and they don't understand anything but they try to be a hero and stab others, when its already peace
and i end up getting them ost curses cause i don't suck at pvp like they do
so either kill everyone who is around or let them kill each other, give weapons until they stab each other

today was a  nice city with ongoing newcommen hammer and roller and even some palm oil left, very close to make engines, instead people were bickering and stabbing others and ruin for everyone

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#22 2018-12-20 14:04:20

Uncle Tensticks

see guys, look at the story and dialogue we got out of this!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like real life, there is griefing and then there is "crying wolf" and calling everything bad that happens to you griefing.

I was running around a town yesterday getting all of the bakery stuff ready. I had some little helper following me around. We couldn't find the sharp stone. Within 5 seconds of the two of us being a little lost and wandering around looking fore the sharp stone, my little helper says "griefer".

Suddenly, everyone who saw her say it is standing around looking at eachother. The stereotypical long brown haired knife chick shows looking for someone to stab and our community is on the brink of extinction! Don't cry wolf!

#23 2018-12-20 16:03:53

Crumpaloo

Uncle Tensticks wrote:

Just like real life, there is griefing and then there is "crying wolf" and calling everything bad that happens to you griefing.

I was running around a town yesterday getting all of the bakery stuff ready. I had some little helper following me around. We couldn't find the sharp stone. Within 5 seconds of the two of us being a little lost and wandering around looking fore the sharp stone, my little helper says "griefer".

Suddenly, everyone who saw her say it is standing around looking at eachother. The stereotypical long brown haired knife chick shows looking for someone to stab and our community is on the brink of extinction! Don't cry wolf!

Sorry but id rather have no problem and continue to play the game, then have to create a fourm post about why people are actively ruining the game for me and so many other people, being on the receiving end of these is alot more irritating then talking about it happening to someone else, and if your whole point was not to be so quick to judge someone that i know for a fact stabbed me for such a petty reason then i really cant see that perspective at all.

#24 2018-12-20 16:29:01

Uncle Tensticks

Crumpaloo wrote:
Uncle Tensticks wrote:

Sorry but id rather have no problem and continue to play the game, then have to create a fourm post about why people are actively ruining the game for me and so many other people, being on the receiving end of these is alot more irritating then talking about it happening to someone else, and if your whole point was not to be so quick to judge someone that i know for a fact stabbed me for such a petty reason then i really cant see that perspective at all.

From my perspective as an avid lover of "open world pvp", the fact that these things can happen are part of what makes it exciting for me. I'm not the predator/griefing type (i'm actually the opposite) but something in me welcomes the excitement of potentially getting killed by a griefer. It's an issue that has to be dealt with (in game, in character).

Players are going to do what players are going to do. It is Jason's responsibility to ensure that the consequences for murder/griefing are balanced enough to properly deter people from doing so. Perhaps put the power back to the people?

A Jail?
Easier ways of ridding a griefer from your town, via a vote?
A public hanging if you're voted out?
Perhaps we need to re-initiate the guard atmosphere? It will be tough to have a smooth transition from life to life.

Just thinking out loud.

Crumpaloo- please understand that my intentions are good and I am sorry that this upset you!

#25 2018-12-20 16:35:34

lionon

Cursing is basically jailing. Spawning lives.

Due to the fast pacedness of the game and one live by itself is rather worthless anything else wouldn't make much sense.

Board footer