One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-12-06 14:16:16

PsyKick

Re: Suggestion: Babies shouldn't be able to wake bears.

Keep an eye on your baby then, simple enough. Some babies that I have go and taunt bears but that's just for science, plus just stack up on arrows.

#52 2018-12-06 14:21:33

lionon

PsyKick wrote:

Keep an eye on your baby then, simple enough. Some babies that I have go and taunt bears but that's just for science, plus just stack up on arrows.

This is true for the "baby-retaliation" for being ignored. For the griefer baby there is no eye keeping as it can run just as fast.

#53 2018-12-06 22:50:25

happynova

I have zero sympathy for people who poke bears as babies in retaliation for not being fed.  Yes, being ignored feels bad, and rude.  Me, I always try to at least say sorry to babies I can't keep, because I think it's important not to forget each one of them is another player.  And I'll admit I'm petty enough that if a player just completely ignores my existence even when I know damn well they know I'm there, I'll go die somewhere inconvenient for them and make them clean up my corpse.

But bear-poking is an asshole thing to do, because it's not just directed at that person.  It's griefing every person in that town, most of whom didn't do a damn thing to you.

Plus, think about the reasons why a mother might ignore you.  Maybe she's a complete noob and has no idea what to even do with a baby.  Maybe she was hyper-focused on whatever she was doing and completely failed to realize you were there, or even to notice you running after her yelling "F!"  (I am positive this has happened to absolutely all of us, especially in big, busy towns with lots of babies running around. It's certainly happened to me more than once, and I always feel bad about it and try to make it up to the kid if I realize it.)  It may be that, rightly or wrongly, she's trying to practice population control, and, yeah, not even saying sorry in a case like that is freaking rude, but it's much less rude than bringing a bear down on people who did nothing whatsoever to you.  That's a retaliation that's poorly aimed and way out of proportion.

Or, it's possible that the player you were born to just doesn't give a crap about you or the town or anything else.  In which case letting the bear loose to mess things up isn't going to upset them too much, is it? Maybe they're even a griefer, in which case, you've just joined them in their griefing and helped them out by being a dick with them.  Congratulations.

In any case, unless you're poking the bear cave while they're actually watching you, I'm willing to bet most of them will never even make the connection between not feeding you and the bear showing up.  If the idea is to teach them a lesson (as opposed to just petty revenge), it's an extremely ineffective way to do it.

#54 2018-12-07 01:30:46

CrazyEddie

happynova +1

#55 2018-12-07 02:23:52

denriguez

Congratulations everyone we've officially stretched the most tedious complaint into three pages of commentary and bickering

#56 2018-12-07 02:54:14

Faro

Complaint? Its a Suggestion... It would make the game better in my oppinion. It seems like a bug.. Babies can not interact with objects or the environment. Cheeeers

#57 2018-12-07 03:25:05

happynova

denriguez wrote:

Congratulations everyone we've officially stretched the most tedious complaint into three pages of commentary and bickering

Hey, the venting was cathartic. smile

#58 2018-12-07 04:55:04

Go! Bwah!

lionon wrote:

You can do NOTHING as baby until you grow hair. Nothing.

You can also interact with geese, rabbits, and penguins.  So interacting with bears is consistent.

Also, summoning bears as a baby is a lot of fun.  I don't condone doing it just to grief, but on the occasions it's acceptable - like, I spawned next to a mother who was lagged out or maybe just bored, so I summoned a bear and had it kill both of us - it's pretty entertaining.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#59 2018-12-07 05:03:08

GreatShawn

denriguez wrote:

And you just made this mind-tiring thread a comment longer.

And so did i right now

#60 2018-12-07 06:59:23

pein

nah, feminazis deserve it, if you are ignored as a boy while the dumbfuck girl has full clothes, its not about food
there is no such thing as abandoning because of food is low
there is enough food generally, just you are unskilled to find it or unprepared for babies, you might have too many, but assuming a player cant produce enough food for himself is same rude as poking a bear

3 feedings are enough if the kid is on good temperature, plus 3 minutes for you on average of 10 per pip is 18 food
2 is enough if you time it exactly and leave food near the kid

i always pick kids up in city, once
then comes the tests, if it fails it, maybe one warning, if im already annoyed then i just leave it, but as long as the baby can sit still and find a good temperature spot, i know that the player is someone useful and doesn't waste resources, even if not my kid, i take care, i don't run after babies

people always cry about bigger biomes and different strategies, guess what, if you got bearcaves, it will be poked, the clsoer you are the sooner you need to prepare for bear attacks

now one could argue that if you cannot kill a bear, than you arent on a skill level to allow abandoning babies

the other game i was waiting with killing it for 20 min and just worked as normal to trim population
most people just say bear when you are on same screen as them and the bear then do nothing just stress eating

one thing people doesn't seem to know, is to stand on other lines/columns as a bear, its not random, its running to you on unoccupied tiles, some tiles are impossible to reach if there are 5 items straight

the other thing is, that if you got mutton meat, you can feed the bear with it and will no longer aggro anyone until shot once, still kills you but high chance it will run out of city
other game the griefer didn't knew it and it was quite funny stabbing her right after she realized that the bear no longer follows her (or just got hungry)

and ofc you could put the graves strategically to form a wall, its easier to block/capture a bear, also if you limit the points where people and animals run trough, you can drop mutton meats so automatically defends you, even a circle of mutton meat

also you are safe inside a pen
and you should make pen like front entrances to houses to block mosquitoes and bears

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer