One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-04 09:29:31

lionon

Suggestion: Babies shouldn't be able to wake bears.

Topic says all.

#2 2018-12-04 09:32:25

lionon

Re: Suggestion: Babies shouldn't be able to wake bears.

PS: Don't ask me, how I discovered this.
I'm sorry for that village I just didn't want to be with.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-04 09:33:15)

#3 2018-12-04 12:55:49

Starknight_One

What? You don't think an unsupervised child should be able to do that kind of damage?

Babies poking bear caves has been in the game a long time. I doubt it's going to be removed.

#4 2018-12-04 12:57:03

lionon

Starknight_One wrote:

What? You don't think an unsupervised child should be able to do that kind of damage?

Babies poking bear caves has been in the game a long time. I doubt it's going to be removed.

Yes, you cannot pickup something heavy as a berry... but you can poke a bear...

#5 2018-12-04 13:04:18

Micca

Well to be fair, you are not poking the bear, you are just walking very close to its cave, taunting it. If you pet the bear, you are dead.

I disagree, this should stay in game.

#6 2018-12-04 13:09:57

lionon

I don't get it how this helps anybody but griefers...

#7 2018-12-04 14:48:58

Tramax

If we removed things that helped griefers we wouldn't have much. It's the curse of an online game.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-12-04 14:49:11)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#8 2018-12-04 14:50:04

wolfgang

Tramax wrote:

If we removed things that helped griefers we wouldn't have much. It's the curse of an online game.

#9 2018-12-04 14:50:29

lionon

The curse is we don't care? I don't get it... Maybe we should also remove the curse system then to help griefers, because it is an online game.

#10 2018-12-04 14:57:50

Tramax

The nature of online games is that every feature that can help people who just want to play it as designed can be used in some way to grief, and there are people who will exploit it for that purpose.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#11 2018-12-04 15:01:07

wolfgang

More so I just believe that anyone should be able to disturb a bear. If you get close, the bears gonna mess you up. Once features start getting removed or heavily changed for the annoying players it eventually starts bothering the normal players. I do not like the idea of babies not waking the bear and removing it because of griefers is not the solution in my opinion. A child running off and doing kid things and causing issues for the town sounds normal for me for a kid. If the town does not have bows to take down predators that wander into town, intentionally or not, then that is the fault of the town when they get wiped. Bows and arrows are not hard to make and if more people lured bears and wolves into towns maybe the meta would change to bows and arrows being made in more of an abundance and actually paid attention to, allowing people to defend the town both from intentional and random bear/wolf encounters. Hell I spawned in a bell town once and a bear killed more than half of the town because out of a town with 20+ people and crazy infrastructure, we had a single bow and only 2 arrows and nobody was attempting to craft more of either item.

#12 2018-12-04 15:01:30

lionon

Tramax wrote:

The nature of online games is that every feature that can help people who just want to play it as designed can be used in some way to grief, and there are people who will exploit it for that purpose.

How is poking bears as baby in anyway "play it as designed"?

You can do NOTHING as baby until you grow hair. Nothing. you can't even pick a berry, nothing. But you can poke on  one of the major dangers ... Really just pop out of the mum, run in a direction, and if you see a bear cave poke it. You likely don't even have a name yet to be cursed, and most people don't run behind runaway children... why should you? Otherwise it's just someone who wants to suicide and doesn't know about /die...

#13 2018-12-04 15:03:40

lionon

wolfgang wrote:

More so I just believe that anyone should be able to disturb a bear. If you get close, the bears gonna mess you up. Once features start getting removed or heavily changed for the annoying players it eventually starts bothering the normal players. I do not like the idea of babies not waking the bear and removing it because of griefers is not the solution in my opinion. A child running off and doing kid things and causing issues for the town sounds normal for me for a kid. If the town does not have bows to take down predators that wander into town, intentionally or not, then that is the fault of the town when they get wiped. Bows and arrows are not hard to make and if more people lured bears and wolves into towns maybe the meta would change to bows and arrows being made in more of an abundance and actually paid attention to, allowing people to defend the town both from intentional and random bear/wolf encounters. Hell I spawned in a bell town once and a bear killed more than half of the town because out of a town with 20+ people and crazy infrastructure, we had a single bow and only 2 arrows and nobody was attempting to craft more of either item.

Well griefers like to remove and hide all arrows they can find and while it is sensible to ask a few people to carry a knife with them, I don't see it sensible to ask people to carry 3 arrows with them...

PS Running a far way as a baby is not realistic. As a child. Fair enough, no issue... but at least have hair until then!

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-04 15:04:21)

#14 2018-12-04 15:07:32

wolfgang

lionon wrote:

Well griefers like to remove and hide all arrows they can find and while it is sensible to ask a few people to carry a knife with them, I don't see it sensible to ask people to carry 3 arrows with them...

I am not saying to keep arrows and a bow on you at all times, but just some around town. I rarely spawn into a town with a single bow at all, I think I have seen a bow only a few times in my entire time playing. If a few were kept around town its a big harder for someone to snag them all and hide them. Really there is no perfect solution but for me, I prefer it the current way over the alternative. Everyone has an opinion though and there is no best way to go about stuff this like. Although my understanding of what the dev wants is that this is working as intended, some humans and good and some are bad.

EDIT:: I do agree with your PS about babies running away, I would be for babies not being able to walk on their own at first and needing an adult to move them around.

Last edited by wolfgang (2018-12-04 15:09:06)

#15 2018-12-04 15:12:48

lionon

wolfgang wrote:

EDIT:: I do agree with your PS about babies running away, I would be for babies not being able to walk on their own at first and needing an adult to move them around.

Fair enough. My issue is with babies popping out running away just as fast as an adult and poking bears within seconds...  I don't care which part of that chain gets fixed. The whole chain is just wrong, though.

And yes I admit, not because I complain about a griefer, but because the griefer was I. I didn't expect it to work!

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-04 15:15:50)

#16 2018-12-04 15:20:00

mrslax

Bears aren't that much of an issue, it only takes 3 arrows to take them out and are easy to lead away. (I hate mean pit bulls, they come in packs and move fast.) What we need is to be able to see if there is a bear in there or not. so when someone goes cleaning up they can make sure they get all of the bears. I think they should not be able to respond if that is a thing ( like bananas )

As much as I hate to say it, griefers are apart of the game and the game would not be as much "fun" without them.  Like easy backpacks around the border of the town, someone that you feel good about killing. breaking up a griefers camp and finding all the knives and arrows. so much drama

#17 2018-12-04 15:24:52

lionon

mrslax wrote:

As much as I hate to say it, griefers are apart of the game and the game would not be as much "fun" without them.  Like easy backpacks around the border of the town, someone that you feel good about killing. breaking up a griefers camp and finding all the knives and arrows. so much drama

Griefers can still poke bears. But should at least 4 years old the general age to be able to do most stuff.. Means they can pester a town with bears only every 5 minutes.

#18 2018-12-04 20:24:57

Tramax

lionon wrote:

How is poking bears as baby in anyway "play it as designed"?

Poking caves to summon bears is playing as designed, as if you have a coordinated group of archers you can tile your town with bearskin rugs. I've seen it done before and it's quite neat when accomplished. Now, a baby doing it is not the intended way. Which is what I was alluding to the fact that it's exploiting the system.

Griefing is a legitimately part of the game. Jason had that conversation with other developer friends and in listing all the roles a friended pointed out that the missed job was griefer. Jason's made it clear that he agrees and while we have something like Donkey Town as a deterrent the recent nerf on the punishment of it is indication that Jason knows that it is better to have a revolving door of players who are like this to some extent. Abusing the bear summoning mechanic as a baby is not the intended design but it's one of many tools people can use to grief. Unlike using a knife to kill another player, or hiding tools which is actually a bigger pain for savvy players because the hiding spots are almost limitless, meanwhile - bears can be lured away and are harmless for those who wait it out - actions that won't help at all if another player comes at you with a weapon. Those more destructive griefing methods are locked behind needing to be a certain age.

mrslax wrote:

In essence, this a thousand times.

I understand where you're coming from in wanting this but it's really not going to change any time soon.

#19 2018-12-04 21:18:04

lionon

Tramax wrote:

Poking caves to summon bears is playing as designed, as if you have a coordinated group of archers you can tile your town with bearskin rugs. I've seen it done before and it's quite neat when accomplished. Now, a baby doing it is not the intended way. Which is what I was alluding to the fact that it's exploiting the system.

I think we might be miscommunication here. I've no problem with poking bears to summon them, also as a mean effect. I've a problem doing this as a 1 year old... Sorry, but a griefer should have to put a minimum effort in, like wait until he is age of 5.. and the mother had a chance to name him.

*Or* have the baby only crawl slowy until age of 3 or so. So you can't run off full speed at age of 1 to poke bears.

#20 2018-12-04 21:32:52

Tramax

I was just clarifying what was done by design. I'm clarifying the exploit being left in because it's necessary to allow people to grief with less than a two minutes playtime in their life because that's the spirit of online games as a whole.

#21 2018-12-04 21:44:48

lionon

Tramax wrote:

I was just clarifying what was done by design. I'm clarifying the exploit being left in because it's necessary to allow people to grief with less than a two minutes playtime in their life because that's the spirit of online games as a whole.

Eh no. Sorry. Been in enough online games, even as a griefer you had to put in some effort and put on some standing/resources you can then misuse.

Sorry, for the this whole issue was a no-brainer, thats why I didn't write a long winded reasoning case of it in my first point. Guess I was mistaken.

#22 2018-12-04 21:52:52

Gederian

Most people forget that you can lead a bear away from town and it usually won't return if you lead it far enough away and get far enough away from the bear before you turn and head back to town.

For that reason, baby bearacide does not really bother me.

But if you're talking reality... A baby can't even walk at 1yr old so venturing into a bear cave is even less realistic (but 100% realism is not the goal of the game).

#23 2018-12-04 22:10:28

Tramax

lionon wrote:

Been in enough online games, even as a griefer you had to put in some effort and put on some standing/resources you can then misuse.

Sorry, for the this whole issue was a no-brainer, thats why I didn't write a long winded reasoning case of it in my first point. Guess I was mistaken.

As I said before, using a bear to grief is one of the least damaging ways - you're only going guarantee new player deaths. Anyone with an intermediate skill level can survive a bear in the town and in the off chance they die to it they won't be nearly as bothered as any other griefing tactic; this is proven by the number of posters in this thread shrugging off the concept of a bear being a legit threat.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-12-04 22:10:53)

#24 2018-12-04 22:28:30

thundersen

lionon wrote:

I think we might be miscommunication here. I've no problem with poking bears to summon them, also as a mean effect. I've a problem doing this as a 1 year old... Sorry, but a griefer should have to put a minimum effort in, like wait until he is age of 5.. and the mother had a chance to name him.

*Or* have the baby only crawl slowy until age of 3 or so. So you can't run off full speed at age of 1 to poke bears.

I'm with lionon. Satanic babies leading bears into town just feels like a cheesy exploit. Griefers should have to make an effort.

#25 2018-12-05 01:01:13

denriguez

Baby bear-taunting is a time-honored tradition and you can take it from my cold, dead hands! It's the one recourse abandoned babies have against the horrible mothers that cast them aside to die.

Seriously, though, it does suck when it's used by infants to grief an otherwise supportive civ, but as others have said, it's not that difficult to correct or avoid and it even introduces a little excitement. I won't do it for the sole purpose of griefing, but if you abandon me in a place that has the resources to support me, or you give me a racist name or something, you just might get the bear. smile

Board footer