One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-03 03:57:38

Fetch

so tired of lagging!

I feel like the last couple of days lagging has been a real problem.  I routinely die because I get stuck and starve. Anyone else having this issue?
It makes the game unplayable

#2 2018-11-03 10:44:40

Re: so tired of lagging!

I also have this issue at points.

#3 2018-11-03 11:12:56

Morti

I've always gotten different types of lag/latency.
Sometimes it's once a week, other times it's once an hour.
I used to die fairly often to it but that was because of my conservative playstyle. I tried to keep my food meter as low as possible so everything I ate gave me the largest benefit. I wouldn't eat a thing until I heard the rapid strums warning that indicated I was on the last pip of the food meter. Then the first thing I'd do is check my temp meter to see how many seconds I had left. If it was balanced, I knew I had 20 to 22 seconds and could wait for what felt like 10 seconds to eat. But if I was naked in grassland cold, I knew I had about 3-4 seconds to eat and would eat immediately. If I was in a snow biome naked, I knew I only had 2 seconds per pip of the food meter and would eat when I had 2-3 pips left just to be safe.

It was very difficult to break this habit. But I had to, because I never know when 1-10 seconds of lag is going to strike me, so, if I am far away from town and have 17/20 pips, I will eat an extra wild gooseberry. If I am at 5/12 pips I'll eat a cactus fruit and not thing twice about it. I haven't done extensive tests with the new temp system (I used to do what we called temp running or temp locking and maintain balanced temp through the majority of my life.) but I'll try to get a warmer than balanced temp if I know I am going to be in a cold biome for awhile, but it seems like the change in the rate the food meter drops lags behind that which the temp meter drops. Maybe it just seems that way because of the habits I've developed.

As for why I seem to get a fair amount of lag, I don't know. Could be my ISP, could be the route that traffic flows from this area gets bottlenecked at high traffic locations, could be a lot of things on my end, Jason's host's end, or, anywhere in between.

Back when I played Ultima Online 20 years ago, we used to have these programs that would check the ping of every server between us and the game servers. We were meticulous about analyzing every hop in between us and the game servers as it meant life or death in the game we spent all day every weekend playing. While some of my friends have gone on to tech jobs and still know how to get all that kind of information for just about anything, I stopped worrying so much about those kinds of details because it took my mind out of the state of immersion I was in while playing my character at the time. Most games since I don't bother looking at the code or, analyzing data to look for loopholes or any of that. I enjoy feeling the game unfold inside my head.

Even though I know not to eat a berry when I only have 4 pips missing, I know that the time I save and the work I do more than makes up for that 1 pip of food gone to waste. Sometimes.

The lag spike, or whatever it is (it feels as though there are different things happening, at different times) doesn't occur often enough that it stops me from playing, but I played UO on dial-up connection with a 28.8, and 33.6k modem before upgrading to 56k, and that felt great at the time, so, maybe I'm not the best person to chime in on the problem.

#4 2018-11-03 21:13:58

tana

i don't know about you guys, but tonight the lag is really bad
got a problem connecting to server at first then died at 5 due to really bad bumping lag, and apparently we were all lagging in that settlement.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#5 2018-11-03 21:42:36

VioletLily

I've been having unusually bad lag in cities for a little while, making it impossible to play in them. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm currently taking a break from the game. Constantly playing in early camps gets boring after a while.

#6 2018-11-03 21:55:36

Roblor

I got disconnected from my Eve run and was unable to reconnect.

Well, I eventually reconnected, but then as a baby.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#7 2018-11-03 22:01:38

Roblor

Huh! Seems I was even palliatively kept alive by my daughter, by the looks of the family-tree.

How embarrassing.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#8 2018-11-04 00:44:54

Fetch

It's better today, but then I lost connection and died.  Tried to be reborn but couldn't get connected.  So I gave up.

#9 2018-11-04 14:51:49

Willow09

Yesterday's lag was so bad I couldn't see the screen, it was just white with scribbles all over it. I tried three times to play and eventually gave up. I have never had lagging that bad before.

I'm the Mother who names her kids after her wife and loves to watch drama go down. Eve names ; Eve rein, Eve willows, or Eve fairweather

#10 2018-11-04 17:21:28

Fetch

Today is lousy again.  I have died several times, in the middle of a good game, because i lose connection.

Board footer