One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-14 00:35:42

helloworld

What do you spend your time in-game?

How do you spend your one hour of in-game time? On average

Example:
-social (talking, teaching, roleplaying, fighting)

-vanity (clothes, wall, floor, bell tower, crown)

-survival (food, sheep, farming, gathering resource)

-progress (making pen, making tool, making new items)

-griefing (killing tree, wasting food, hiding tool)

Just curious what people do with their time in-game.

Personally I on average spend most of my time on ‘progress’ category.
Please feel free to share the way you spend your one hour.

#2 2018-09-14 00:43:19

Superfun2
Banned

Re: What do you spend your time in-game?

Greifing

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

#3 2018-09-14 00:52:11

karltown_veteran

Superfun2 wrote:

Greifing

You're honest at least. That is, unless you're lying about griefing, which would be odd

Mine would probably be... vanity sometimes? It's not really vanity because clothes save you and your successors food from the warmth they bring. And aprons and backpacks are useful. But yeah, I do engage in the occasional "vanity": Making crowns, dyeing clothes red lol

Social's also a biggie; I consider roleplaying to be a side job. But not roleplaying like killing over drama, or keeping cursed babies. Also I make sure that I can support my own weight while roleplaying by making a steady stream of compost.

Food, of course, is a large part. We gotta eat!

Sheep is big. I feed sheep and get poo more than I make pens.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#4 2018-09-14 01:04:23

Anshin

Progress. I make roads to iron and water sources, because right now those things are finite but necessary for a town to survive.

#5 2018-09-14 01:20:15

MegaLlama

Mostly social and survival, however I do dabble in a bit of progress.

I never really learned how to make roads, build or smith, meaning that I mostly end up as either a farmer, wet-nurse or shepherd.

#6 2018-09-14 01:23:46

Turnipseed

I like eve child runs because it allows for the most progress progression is the best part of the game imo

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-09-14 01:57:40

Booklat1

i mostly make myself a bag and a knife and then care for sheep.

If I get bag and knife early i end up getting bored after feeding a ton of sheep and usually start putting a workshop together.

I also do A LOT of stone runs, usually getting like 30/40 stones and making wells or cisterns with them.

#8 2018-09-14 02:01:34

Nopik

I’ve spent the last few months on empty servers creating my own towns and trying to max out the tech tree before failing to get to old age.

I recommend this way of playing for anyone sick of having your work destroyed by others. It takes a long time to make progress by yourself, and it can be frustrating when you get killed by animals, but your work will still be there the next time you log on. Especially good if you can only play one or two lives a week (aka, have a job/life).

Once you get tools, compost, and pies sorted, you can do anything you want and learn how to do everything in the game. Currently, there isn’t anything that requires a second person except healing.

Just don’t raise kids. They tend to return the favor by killing you so they can steal your town from you or “rule the server”. Happened to me twice.

#9 2018-09-14 03:31:37

happynova

I think I spend the majority of my time on the "survival" category.  Farming, cooking, making compost... I think people often get very excited about building structures and think growing crops is boring, but if everyone is doing the "cool" stuff and no one is keeping the boring old food supply chain going, eventually things are going to collapse.  So I like to do my part to make sure things keep going, and there's a certain quiet pride in that, even if it sometimes can feel a little thankless.

The "progress" stuff I'm likely to do mostly only if I see a real and immediate need for it -- things like a sheep pen for a young civ that clearly needs to start thinking about sheep but has no one working on it, or a road to a nearby water source people might not easily find otherwise -- but that just means that when I do something like that, it's very satisfying, because I feel like I've contributed something genuinely important.  And I do dig a lot of wells.  That lets me feel like I'm keeping the food supply chain going and leaving a tangible mark on the world.

#10 2018-09-14 03:32:40

SomeRandomPerson

Usually I just make a ton of compost. I feed sheep and grow wheat and carrots when needed. Normally I can make some wool clothing on the side too.
It keeps towns from dying off, lots of soil for the farmers and bakers can make pies out of the byproduct.

Sometimes I try to talk to my siblings or mother. If we make it to old age, I ask them how their life was.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-14 03:42:10)

#11 2018-09-14 03:42:55

Joriom
Website

Progress or Griefing - depending if I'm playing with friends while locked to higher number server or randos from shithole S1

#12 2018-09-14 03:47:12

Lotus

In big towns, usually I spent my time in the “survival” and “social” categories.
In small towns or Eve camps, all “progress,” all the time.
As an Eve in a city, wet-nursing and “vanity” are my go-to’s.

#13 2018-09-14 04:26:42

Monolith_Rans

As a kid I care for berries or collect wood.  As an adult, I can do any job but smithing is the best because people come and ask for things.  No body ever says thank you to the baker. and I like to build roads when I get board in a big town like NorthTown/Middle-Burg/SouthTown.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#14 2018-09-14 05:53:32

helloworld

Thanks for all the replies. I was curious how the community plays this game.

#15 2018-09-14 06:14:46

EllynEve

When I'm a kid I like to berry farm smile and I like to tell people I'm a berry maid and that we must honor our berries and all that they provide in many ways.

Then I grow up some more, and it really depends! It changes a lot. Today after I tended the berries, I started composting and helping with feeding the sheep to get the poops. Tilly/Tully (can't remember) was an awesome person and we worked really well together. Thank you! The town I was in went through a crazy phase. haha

I don't really stick with one task, I kind of just flow with what people need.

I've done smithing, gathering wood, cleaning up the town (soooo underappreciated, guys! Let's see more of this!)

I like socializing too! I like trying to talk to griefers when they're willing and sometimes I might throw a task their way xD They end up doing it 7/10 times, which are odds I favor. Most times, people might grief because they feel a lack of connection and willingness to be part of a community. I've gotten really fed up with some lives because people will take what I'm immediately using, or a project I started, and they'll just take it over without any kind of communication. That's such a buzzkill, guys, and I know the people who are offenders of it are not very likely to be on forums..but still. haha I wish there was more of a social pressure felt in game to ASK.

Overall, I try to do what I'm familiar with and then scaffold from that! Like maybe learn one new thing per lengthy life. smile

Last edited by EllynEve (2018-09-14 06:15:44)

#16 2018-09-14 06:17:07

EllynEve

Monolith_Rans wrote:

As a kid I care for berries or collect wood.  As an adult, I can do any job but smithing is the best because people come and ask for things.  No body ever says thank you to the baker. and I like to build roads when I get board in a big town like NorthTown/Middle-Burg/SouthTown.

I try to make it a point to thank people in game, but you're right! It can get so easy to forget to pass that along. I'll try to be more thankful more often. Thank you for that!

#17 2018-09-14 06:18:31

EllynEve

Joriom wrote:

Progress or Griefing - depending if I'm playing with friends while locked to higher number server or randos from shithole S1

I've never tried griefing! I thought about maybe dabbling in it but I have such a bad guilt complex with that sort of thing haha

I find it hard to even run away as a baby. One time a mom said 'fuk u' to me and I felt so bad about it. I still do. That was probably a month ago.

That being said, I still want to try it out. I wonder if I'd be good and sneaky at it.

Last edited by EllynEve (2018-09-14 06:19:00)

#18 2018-09-14 06:20:43

EllynEve

SomeRandomPerson wrote:

Usually I just make a ton of compost. I feed sheep and grow wheat and carrots when needed. Normally I can make some wool clothing on the side too.
It keeps towns from dying off, lots of soil for the farmers and bakers can make pies out of the byproduct.

Sometimes I try to talk to my siblings or mother. If we make it to old age, I ask them how their life was.

We need more players like you!

#19 2018-09-14 07:20:55

Jk Howling

I do all of those regularly aside from griefing, unless killing griefers counts.

Survival is my most common lifestyle, as tending sheep, making compost, and supplying the town with food is my go-to task in large civs. This is also filled in with smaller, related jobs like tending the berries, planting carrots/wheat/stew crops, etc.

Progress is my favorite, but I rarely get the chance to aid towards it. Big civs take up a majority of my spawns and its not often for me to spawn to a lower-tech town or as an eve. I do enjoy aiding in progress when I get the chance, however. Making the first set of iron tools, setting up the berry farm, making a sheep pen and bringing back mouflon.. Enjoyable and fulfilling, especially if you're reborn there later to a thriving city.

Social is a common aspect that filters through all my lives. I like sharing stories and information with other players, though I don't roleplay a whole lot. Teaching plays a bigger role, however. I'm a firm believer in "teach don't stab" unlike a few other 'veteran' players, and can often be found showing newer players things- provided they don't starve mid-teaching T-T

Vanity is probably the thing I focus on least, having lived some lives naked from start to finish. I do often go on rabbit runs if I'm born male though, toting a cart of them back after making one myself. The only other thing I go out of my way to make is an apron if sheep are available. If I'm tending sheep and don't need one, I tend to leave the fleece outside the pen for people to use how they wish.

And I guess if you count killing people as griefing, that does happen. I only tend to stab if I catch someone griefing red-handed, however, or in retaliation to an unprovoked kill. There are so many other players who overreact and end up borderline griefing themselves just because someone looked at them wrong- it's annoying.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-14 07:25:11)

-Has ascended to better games-

#20 2018-09-14 08:08:47

pein

probably i made the most pens
i like building stuff  and experiment with designs

the vanity items can be logistical or psychological advantage to the town

i prefer small families, i help on survival but i dont have problems surviving, and most people wont give a flying fuck if you feed them for generations to come
if i do food, i just go overboard and create tons of plates and fill with pie or tons of milk

once the town is sustainable i just mess around
i pretty much multitasking to wait out timers and focus on the next big thing
i talk sometimes, but generally i create stuff what surprises people, i enjoy working together with hard working people and try to reward them

i focus on parenting and survival of kids when we are very low on kids, when tons of them run around i dont mind even if they kill each other.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2018-09-14 09:11:26

MultiLife

Excluding griefing which is zero, the least time I spend on vanity which is funny as I am an artistic person. I should try roses and dye stuff in some life.

Survival is where I usually land, due to being able to carry out any job and multitask to keep a town going. It gets exhausting though.

Progress is so-so. I rarely get to make pens or roads or get animals. I usually help by preparing other stuff like milkweed for rope and pies for hunters and tools for farmers. Rarely I get to make stuff just for myself. But I do work for progress so towns are not stuck using stone tools.

Social is a small but common part of my playthroughs. I usually make nice comments on busy but good players and thank people for their work, always trying to specify so each thank you is tailored per individual. Gets difficult and rare if I am busy. Same with teaching. Yesterday I taught a new player for half an hour (then saw he killed someone and starved after I was gone??? o____o).

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-09-14 09:13:51)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#22 2018-09-14 09:58:21

VioletLily

I spend most of my time doing compost related things. Making pens, getting sheep, carrot/wheat farming, compost making, taking care of berries if needed, etc. If compost is well taken care of, I usually end up baking, snaring rabbits, or smithing. I will also do odd jobs if I see they need to be done (like making/improving wells). I try to teach new players when I can too. Unless teaching, I really only talk to others in newer camps as they require more coordination. I'm more of a silent worker I guess.

#23 2018-09-14 10:20:31

Tarr
Banned

There are so many different things I do based on when I'm playing and where.

Is it patch day? I'm trying new content and trying to see if there is any bugs related to them. (Unless it's railways that took a buff for me to mess with and instantly found a bug after trying them out tongue )

Is the town a known town to be griefed often? If I'm in quad town aka north town or one of its offshoots I'm doing various maintenance and peace keeping. Gotta keep those pesky trolls in line.

Early gen/low tech? Generally blacksmithing or anything to help push the tech tree as far as I can in my allowed time with the family.

If it's a medium sized town in good shape I generally try to start making sauerkraut or anything to relieve the stress of the berry field.

fug it’s Tarr.

#24 2018-09-14 11:37:33

PeaGirl

Mainly in progress and in social. Social is awfully rewarding when it comes for instructiing the ideas or sharing tutorials to those who are not good at something or are new to some part of work. There are mixed feelings when someone tries to repai one's mistakes, but some are rather open and tend to feel energetic when lines get fixed together when they understand why someone did something, for example killing one sheep with wool (for sheepskin or saddle etc.) Progress just because I like to build a lot. Not the very prominent idea in mid eve camps, but when it comes for making easy access areas for watersources or deserts with plenty of cacti.

Though, I personally like every job that there is, it's not what the job is, it's just that you have something to do, an identity to hold and a goal to go for... bit like real life. (Silently weeps) But it all submerged in one hour of mess. I understand people in intense hurry, or people who just repeat some tech tree item they look for, but for that, social is there. There are perhaps few hidden guides in that petty little village who are just ready (I mean, READY) to have their fingers burning on chat log in explaining what to do.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#25 2018-09-14 12:12:22

boggers

90% Survival / progress. 10% social.

If in a village, first fix berries if they're unattended, then get a backpack and sealskin coat which sometimes means being a milkweed farmer first. I have found that everybody likes a milkweed farmer, except for that one guy who wants to plant squash or beans or whatever in the same spot.

Once I have gear it really depends what needs doing.

I like the little stories that happen when you do something nice for someone and they return the favour later, So I drop gifts on deserving people, like if someone is farming milkweed and I say "Can I take some for pack?" and they say "Sure" then I might come back with an extra backpack full of wild foods for them. Or if someone wanders into to my trapping camp and they help out instead of stealing skins, I'll drop some traps or rabbits back to them. Feels good later when I find out they left me a couple of pies or whatever.

I prefer the Eve game, so if I'm a girl born when the village is having a lot of kids, or if there are murders or unpleasantness in general happening, I usually leave ASAP and set up a new camp a few biomes away.

Board footer