a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-08-18 19:58:48

pein

Re: Awful Players - The Curse System is NOT Working

Trick wrote:
pein wrote:
Trick wrote:

I should have known.  You're a pretty toxic player, and you seem to be proud of it.

Destroying an entire town because one player was unkind to you is vengeful and childish.  None of the rest of us did anything to you.  I had no idea your grandmother was unkind.  Yet, you took it out on a bunch of innocent players.

Your shitty behaviour makes the game unenjoyable for others.  Not sure how ruining the game for other players is fun for you, but it speaks to you as a person, IMO.

your prejudice and stupidity shines
i should of live to 60 and bear her name to make her proud or what?
i also kill the eves who are asshole, and the towns where they sacrifice boys, etc.
ending your lineage means you wont go back to a city, so yeah, im happy i ruined her day, and you didnt lost anything on that shit camp
people burning butt logs and an empty cistern near 3 ponds with no bucket

gen 6 with a level of gen 2

i wouldnt say that others didnt do anything, cause they were pretty cocky about it until they met their ends
it took 2 minutes to kill 2 females, the little girl ran away at age 3.5, all she had to do is quit
when the two guys started cursing and telling that 'this scared her for a while'
on that point i decided that i settle it, all of you seen a stupid grandma chasing a kid with no reason, none of them did anything about it

guess what, im better at building stuff than you
and better and destoying it, so dont piss me off, if you curse someone, expect that you gonna get killed
you already accepted as a challange, you lost it, and come cry to forum like a whiny bitch

in other runs i kill off this dumb granmas so wont annoy the babies
you dont think about what you done, or what you havent done, just play the victim card
guess what, i was the victim of harassment and in return i proved her wrong, you were collateral damage

You genuinely sound like a child.  How old are you?

Maybe I need to remind myself that I am playing with actual kids.

you genuinely sound like a noob
you run to mama jason to complain that the game is too hard

i bet you were the granma there

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#27 2018-08-18 20:13:21

Ben_efitThe7th

pein no i lost my trust in you

Last edited by Ben_efitThe7th (2018-08-18 20:15:15)

A person comparable to an awkward joke.

Curious's eve, Stew defender

#28 2018-08-19 06:49:32

pein

Ben_efitThe7th wrote:

pein no i lost my trust in you

meks me sed

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#29 2018-08-19 10:26:54

Dee
New User

I was at a village and there was a guy causing a big commotion asking for curses or he'd start killing people.
Because no one wanted this griefer to get what he wanted he started to kill people. A heroic old lady tried to make a knife to end his treachery until she was ended by him.
I got the blade out of her body's pack and made the knife to finish her job and ended the griefer.

I was praised and got a crown after, guys if you want attention kill other attention seekers.

- DEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEE

Last edited by Dee (2018-08-19 10:29:32)

- DEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEEDEE

#30 2018-08-19 11:02:44

Potjeh

jasonrohrer wrote:

You guys are saying that there's simply no way to handle this problem yourselves, and you need me to handle it for you automatically.

In real life, there is no curse system, and no justice is automatic.

Justice is one of the most interesting aspects of civilization.  It's a hard problem to solve.  It may be THE main problem that civilization faces.

And here you are, facing it.  It's tough!  People are hard to catch.  The innocent get hurt, and the perp often gets away.  Some people feel bad for the perp and give them additional chances, etc.

Sounds like a really interesting problem to me.  One that I don't want to solve for you.

The curse system is there to make up for the one small difference from real life:  reincarnation.

If you have people in your village who are raising cursed babies, and you think that is wrong, what are you going to do about it?  Argue with the parent?  Kill or curse the parent?  Start a committee to inspect every newborn baby in the village?  Then a mother notices her cursed baby and rushes into the hills to hide it from the committee?

Interesting....

In real life when you kill someone they stay dead. So any comparisons between RL and game are stupid. Also, IRL you have years to gauge people's characters, and you have millions of subtle cues about their personality that don't exist in game.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-08-19 11:04:50)

#31 2018-08-19 11:27:50

Joseph Stalin

Matbat wrote:

Broken idea here, maybe we can attack cursed players with things not normally a weapon?
Cursed player takes all knives? too bad, hit in the back with an adze.
Cursed baby and elder doesn't want to knife it? smash it with a straight branch.
It'll definitely moderate cursed players actions when they can only kill with a few items but everyone else can kill them with anything if they slip up in the slightest.

I really, really like that idea
all iron tools should kill plus hatchet and maybe long branch just stuns and makes them drop what they are holding idk
really good idea though suggest on reddit

#32 2018-08-19 11:39:00

Joseph Stalin

Matbat wrote:

Broken idea here, maybe we can attack cursed players with things not normally a weapon?
Cursed player takes all knives? too bad, hit in the back with an adze.
Cursed baby and elder doesn't want to knife it? smash it with a straight branch.
It'll definitely moderate cursed players actions when they can only kill with a few items but everyone else can kill them with anything if they slip up in the slightest.

I really, really like that idea
all iron tools should kill plus hatchet and maybe long branch just stuns and makes them drop what they are holding idk
really good idea though suggest on reddit

#33 2018-08-19 21:22:14

lucythewanderer

I want to domesticate wolves (to get dogs, obviously). I would like my devoted canine companion to be able chase/scare predators, including griefers. I've only met a couple of griefers, but in real life, I would have a dog for protection. I know you don't want to solve it for us, Jason, but is there any chance you'll let us tame wolves so we can train them to chase and bite people that attack us?

~running naked through the swamp

#34 2018-08-20 09:58:16

MultiLife

lucythewanderer wrote:

I want to domesticate wolves (to get dogs, obviously). I would like my devoted canine companion to be able chase/scare predators, including griefers. I've only met a couple of griefers, but in real life, I would have a dog for protection. I know you don't want to solve it for us, Jason, but is there any chance you'll let us tame wolves so we can train them to chase and bite people that attack us?

Please remember that goes both ways. If you can use dogs to chase and attack griefers, they can use dogs to chase and attack you. I'd vote for dogs to be like snares, and not weapons.
And if dogs would automatically attack a player who stabs first, many guards/protectors would die. I know some think that all who stab are bad and deserve to die, but I don't.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#35 2018-08-20 14:33:57

lucythewanderer

MultiLife wrote:
lucythewanderer wrote:

Please remember that goes both ways. If you can use dogs to chase and attack griefers, they can use dogs to chase and attack you. I'd vote for dogs to be like snares, and not weapons.
And if dogs would automatically attack a player who stabs first, many guards/protectors would die. I know some think that all who stab are bad and deserve to die, but I don't.

All the anti griefing mechanics go both ways. I believe (but don't have the reference handy) that Jason has stated as much. He has also referenced what you would do in real life. In real life, I'd get a dog. The biggest, scariest, wolfiest-looking one I could find. It takes time, energy, and resources to tame a wolf and train a dog, so I doubt he would let us magically pick up wolf puppies and they'd be tame. I'd fully expect it to be a process, but I think if we could train a dog to defend against predators so it could be used to drive off snakes and boars, and possibly use your last bloody words to command the dog to chase your killer (similar to the curse system) rather than just arbitrarily attacking people. Would it be perfect? No. Could griefers still find a way to exploit the mechanics, like they do existing ones? Yes. It's still what I'd do in real life.

~running naked through the swamp

#36 2018-08-20 19:07:56

bluefootedpig

The whole "real life isn't perfect" is such a weak excuse. You know what also isn't real life? being born the moment you die. Or gaining a year of age per minute, thus making your life only 1 hour long. This game moves fast, and one person can do a lot of damage.

I like the idea that cursed people simply spawn as Eves, don't let them destroy other people's things.

Also better marking of cursed people, like red hands on the baby / person.

These are minor graphical asset changes, not new mechanics that would really help.

Also, in the real world, if you are caught you often go to prison, and I haven't found how to build a prison yet in this game.

#37 2018-08-20 19:42:51

MultiLife

bluefootedpig wrote:

The whole "real life isn't perfect" is such a weak excuse. You know what also isn't real life? being born the moment you die. Or gaining a year of age per minute, thus making your life only 1 hour long. This game moves fast, and one person can do a lot of damage.

I like the idea that cursed people simply spawn as Eves, don't let them destroy other people's things.

Also better marking of cursed people, like red hands on the baby / person.

These are minor graphical asset changes, not new mechanics that would really help.

Also, in the real world, if you are caught you often go to prison, and I haven't found how to build a prison yet in this game.

Glad to hear someone else agrees on that. There are differences in real life and games and that is a really good thing. So many games try to imitate real life too much and fall flat on their noses because games need a balance to deliver (an entertaining) sense of realism. There are so many awesome realistic things in One Hour One Life but debates over mechanics and ideas die quick when it goes to the "stop bitching, real world is harsh too" -dead end. We should talk and have ideas, if Jason refuses them, that's fine.

A mark on the baby itself could work better than the speech bubble thing. So many mothers don't wait at all to see the bubble of the child: they are busy moms and new moms. I baby test like there is no tomorrow, but I can't make others play like I do, there will always be someone who wants to do the opposite for a reason or another.

Ofc it is "easy to judge - hard to do" when it comes down to the trickiness of balancing and making anti-grief systems, but there are very good, valid ideas, and then I see others stamp the people behind them whiners. Great ideas can be refused, I don't mind, especially with an explanation, but oh well. Humans... big_smile

I'd also add to the "doomed to Eve life" thing: I suggest that a cursed player loses their ability to play as twins/triplets/quadruplets for x amount of time or x amount of Eve lives: this is to cover the plausible leak of the lineage ban. Would like to have it confirmed or fixed if possible: can a player bypass a lineage block if they spawn as twins, triplets or quadruplets?

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#38 2018-08-20 22:08:09

TrustyWay

If the baby has too many curses on him, he needs a THIRD EYE

#39 2018-08-21 02:51:29

CynderR

Jason! We the people demand a solution.
In real life when we find a criminal we can imprison them and prevent them from....reincarnating and just being a D*** again.
We want shackles! (*Crowd cheers*) Yeah! we will have those that are evil enslave by the good.... (Angry mob member 7 starts to question your idea) we want to lock up criminals, keep them fed and prevent them from starting a new life of terror until they die of old age !!(or more likely we forgot to feed them)

This totally won't be used for child slave labor camps...

#40 2018-08-21 07:01:46

Joriom
Website

CynderR wrote:

Jason! We the people demand a solution.
In real life when we find a criminal we can imprison them and prevent them from....reincarnating and just being a D*** again.
We want shackles! (*Crowd cheers*) Yeah! we will have those that are evil enslave by the good.... (Angry mob member 7 starts to question your idea) we want to lock up criminals, keep them fed and prevent them from starting a new life of terror until they die of old age !!(or more likely we forgot to feed them)

This totally won't be used for child slave labor camps...

And this totaly won't allow griefer to just Alt+F4 and respawn in other place. Yup. And if we make it so if shackled person quits - the account stays logged in, it won't get used as a primaty way of griefing by shackling everyone around by griefers making them unable to play for next 20-50 minutes.

#41 2018-08-21 07:24:49

Alleria

If you shackle a person then you enable RPs. Sure, some, maybe most griefers will just DC, but it adds dank RP flayva. It also means griefers get to have more fun, which means people might RP as "criminals" which isn't inherently a bad thing. Let's be honest, the game is so easy with all this new food that I think we need more RP content.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#42 2018-08-21 07:42:56

Joriom
Website

Alleria wrote:

If you shackle a person then you enable RPs. Sure, some, maybe most griefers will just DC, but it adds dank RP flayva. It also means griefers get to have more fun, which means people might RP as "criminals" which isn't inherently a bad thing. Let's be honest, the game is so easy with all this new food that I think we need more RP content.

Are you ok? Doesn't you head hurt?

"some" griefers will DC? Most if not all will. Why bother when you can't grief anymore in this place?

"griefers get to have more fun" - thats not how they understand fun. If they had fun RPing - they would become part of the town and RP something. Griefers get most of their fun from your tears and suffering and I respect that, but one needs to understand that if he wants to fight griefer.

People who would "RP as criminals" would not actually be griefers. They would be RPing griefers without griefer mindset.

#43 2018-08-26 03:19:53

Destrucity

Another flaw with this system is that it makes all the  cautious  Players have to do the baby talk test, which frankly isn’t fun. Its something that most of the players won’t be aware they need to do, and it’s a tediously lame process for those who do know. The griefers have a small win just by players having to do this.

Board footer