One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-16 21:46:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Bug bounty

UPDATE:

Even if this happens during a longer life, please send me your stdout.txt file (on Windows).  That should give me enough information to track down the bug.  More details here:  http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … 864#p14118

Wanted dead or alive....

The "bouncing" lag bug.

This has been "fixed" a small bit, in that it used to cause you to bounce forever until you starved.  Now it just causes you to bounce for 10 seconds until the client retries.

But even that behavior is pretty awful.

I just clocked 161 occurrences of this issue on Server1 over the past day.  That's out of 3 million client messages processed, so it's not terrible, but that's 161 annoyed players...

The game client is recording everything into the "recordedGames" folder.  If this bouncing happens to you, it will be recorded.

What I'm looking for is a SHORT recording file of this bug in action.

And it's not just a little bouncing here and there.... that's normal, due to networking lag.  But if you're bouncing for approximately 10 seconds, and your action doesn't actually happen at the end (you don't pick up what you were trying to pick up, and have to retry), then that is the bug.

By SHORT recordings, I'm looking for this bug occurring near the start of your life.  Like in the first 4 minutes or so, worst case.

Also, if you're trying to catch this bug, please quit the game between lives.  This ensures a separate recording for each life, instead of one very long recording.

Anyway, if this happens to you near the start of your life, please send me the most recent recordedGames file, and also your stdout.txt file (assuming you are on windows).    jasonrohrer   AT   fastmail  DOT  fm

(If you're on Linux or Mac, try to run the game in the terminal and copy-paste the output into an email.)

The first person that sends me a short recording and stdout.txt that is useful to me in tracking down this bug will receive a REWARD:

Two free game accounts to give to their friends.

#2 2018-05-16 22:08:52

YAHG

Re: Bug bounty

May the lag be with you?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-05-16 22:19:39

Pronghorn

I'll post more WANTED posters of this round my parts too partner.

Please be kind.

#4 2018-05-17 03:40:36

Uncle Gus

Will it matter if this happens on a non-official server? Asking for a me.

#5 2018-05-17 13:58:12

Joriom
Website

jasonrohrer wrote:

The first person that sends me a short recording and stdout.txt that is useful to me in tracking down this bug will receive a REWARD:

Two free game accounts to give to their friends.

Welp, time to set up Santan to log everything he does and count time between action and recation. This way he might get 2 brothers.

#6 2018-05-17 19:03:23

Uncle Gus

I'll race you.

#7 2018-05-17 20:03:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, if it doesn't happen on the official servers, I will not be able to correlate what you send me to the server logs.

However, if it happens on non-official servers, I guess I would like to know about it.

#8 2018-05-18 15:26:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I've been looking at server logs of this bug, and I don't see anything amiss server-side.

I've also never seen this happen on my end when playing the game.

I'm wondering if some people are just experiencing true network outages, where messages from the server pile up for a while and then suddenly go through.  This game is built on socket connections, so dropped message are pretty much impossible, because the stream of data is guaranteed to arrive in order or not arrive at all.  But the stream can get backed up if the route breaks temporarily.

Anyway, I still haven't received anything from anyone.

I guess this means that it's not that big of a problem?  I don't hear many complaints about it.

#9 2018-05-18 15:32:05

Baker

jasonrohrer wrote:

I've been looking at server logs of this bug, and I don't see anything amiss server-side.

I'm wondering if some people are just experiencing true network outages, where messages from the server pile up for a while and then suddenly go through.  This game is built on socket connections, so dropped message are pretty much impossible, because the stream of data is guaranteed to arrive in order or not arrive at all.  But the stream can get backed up if the route breaks temporarily.

I guess this means that it's not that big of a problem?  I don't hear many complaints about it.

That's the weird thing, It was happening a lot more before but after I saw this post it stopped happening to me.  I guess the bug wants us all to suffer and not benefit from it in the slightest.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#10 2018-05-18 15:57:40

edhel

I just sent you an email Jason. I experience this bug quite often and I hope I will be able to give you enough info.

#11 2018-05-18 16:01:40

Spockulon

jasonrohrer wrote:

I can only speak for myself. For me the bugs are an issue, but not often a "game-breaking" one. I had this exact bug last night, but it had happened to be around middle age. I had attempted to pick up a basket, and simply bounced up and down for about 5-10 seconds. Afterwards, my character moved, but did not pick up the basket. This is only the second time I have encountered this bug. As it happened in middle age, I did not report it to you, Jason, because I know you are specifically looking for instances where this bug occurs at the beginning of the game.

Around the time this bug first appeared, I started noticing the "temporarily invisible" bug and real lag/loading issues when reborn (starting a new game takes forever now) .

I've checked on my end, restarted my laptop, ran some simple diagnostics, updated drivers, and tested my network. I can't find any indication that it is caused on my end, but I acknowledge that's still a realistic possibility.

Last edited by Spockulon (2018-05-18 16:03:04)

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#12 2018-05-18 17:18:51

startafight

yesterday i was getting the bouncing bug n also an invisibility bug (?) - ppl just turn invisible at random times (even in adulthood) n i turned invisible as well. i thought it was just my internet being spotty but its different from when ppl teleport around cos everything moves at a normal rate (like if someone was seeding id see the seeds being planted normally but i wouldnt see the person seeding for a sec). ppl also moved around me normally when i would have the bouncing bug- maybe the two bugs r related? i will try recording them. hope u catch it soon!

#13 2018-05-18 17:52:27

Turnipseed

It happened to me last night, but i was fifty ish when it happened. You said short lives only so i didnt bother. Isent game breaking since you made it not last forever

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#14 2018-05-18 18:20:29

FounderOne

I just got twice the invisible bug while picking cactus fruits right next to me was a basket.
No bouncing.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#15 2018-05-18 18:48:59

Spockulon

FounderOne wrote:

I just got twice the invisible bug while picking cactus fruits right next to me was a basket.
No bouncing.

It's interesting that you mentioned cactus fruit, because after my  invisibility bug, several of the cactus around me "lost their fruits", which is to say that several already fruiting cacti (fruits on top), suddenly appeared to be "picked" or empty. Upon traveling a screen away and returning to the spot, the bug had fixed itself.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#16 2018-05-18 19:42:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Someone was able to trigger this issue by inserting an huge artificial network delay.

But a huge packet delay is a kind of network outage.

And these lags may indeed be caused by network outages.  If they are, there's nothing I can do to fix them.  The client cannot go on until it hears from the server.

However, I'm worried that there's some other kind of bug that causes this to happen even when the connection is solid.

Essentially, what is happening is this:

Client sends a message to the server, like USE 10 33, which says it wants to use the object at location 10,33.  The client "bounces" there waiting for a response from the server, which will be a PLAYER UPDATE (PU) message of some kind, telling the client about the results of the USE action.

But if no PU message arrives in 10 seconds, the client stops bouncing and gives control back to the player.  The server didn't get the USE message for some reason, or the client didn't get the response PU message.

In a network outage, the PU message may simply be delayed longer than 10 seconds.  It will arrive in order later.  In that case, the client actually shouldn't give up, because everything is okay, just delayed, and that PU message may arrive later and confuse the client.  In fact, this should probably count as connection lost, though I'd want to wait longer than 10 seconds.

BUT... there may be some other bug causing the PU to never arrive, or maybe causing the USE to not be received by the server.  In that case, the client giving up after 10 seconds is the current way that I'm papering over this bug.  The network isn't out, but the PU is never going to arrive.

I'm not sure if this second case ever actually happens.  But I want to find it and fix it if it does.

There is currently a glitch in the recordedGames mechanism that makes the recordings not play back correctly.  So, hold off until the client update (later today) before sending me any recordings.

HOWEVER...

Even for longer lives that see the bug, your "stdout.txt" file (on WIndows) would be super-useful to me.

Please zip it first if it's big, but I'd like to get every stdout.txt for this bug.

The definition of the bug is that you bounce for 10 seconds trying to do something, and then after 10 seconds the action you were trying to do does not occur.  Ideally, other people should still be walking around freely while you are bouncing (if the entire game seems stalled, that might be a true network outage where you're not receiving anything from the server for a while).

#17 2018-05-18 20:37:41

Uncle Gus

Even if people are moving around normally, couldn't there still be a network outage? The way I understand it, a player move is a "start here, go there, take x seconds" so the client could still be playing that out while the network is down, right? But I guess you wouldn't see new actions start if you were disconnected/lagged.

#18 2018-05-18 21:12:26

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah...

There are at least some reports of players being about to send speech messages and carry on conversations with other players while in this stuck-bouncing state.

This bug used to kill you, because you'd be frozen forever bouncing.  The client currently gives up after 10 seconds as a work-around.

#19 2018-05-18 22:35:57

Angel Carrillo

I had that happen once, where I could still speak, but was stuck and bouncing until I starved. That was before the client give-up failsafe though.

#20 2018-05-21 18:46:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

So.... I still haven't gotten any usable reports here.

The servers have been tracking this, and there are a LOT of bug reports getting logged server-side.

This happens when the client bounces for 10 seconds and gives up---it sends a BUG message to the server, and the server records a report about the bug to disk.

The problem is that these reports are large (a copy of the recent server log).  Funny, but server1 has been running out of disk space over a few days and eventually crashing because of this.

BUT still, no one sends me any client-side reports.  Well, actually, I got one report from a fellow from China, but it turned out to be just pure lag....

Maybe I need to mod the client to say, "You just bounced for 10 seconds, please quit and send  your stdout.txt to me please!"

#21 2018-05-21 20:39:01

BionicSandwich

just a question, would it be possible to test for this bug without buying the game? like use your own server to find the bug.

#22 2018-05-21 22:33:10

Left4twenty

The client giving a little heads up that the behavior was strange might help, I know I've had bounce but counted short of 10 seconds so I assumed it was slow connection on my end

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#23 2018-05-22 00:34:49

wondible

Since the client is detecting the BUG, could it just send the info directly? If the user has been waiting for 10 seconds already, the sending delay should not be much more. You can truncate the server storage to keep things from getting out hand, while having a pool or recent reports to look at.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#24 2018-05-22 00:43:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I've thought about this.

The problem is that the client currently outputs all the relevant messages to stdout and doesn't save them in RAM at all.  On Windows, this is conveniently saved in stdout.txt, so people can email it to me.  I don't think Windows would let me open this file for reading if it was still open for writing.

#25 2018-05-22 00:56:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Until I get some better client differentiation in place, I've disabled saving these logs server-side.

I'll post a new bounty thread when the better client code goes live.

Board footer