#51 2018-05-06 14:15:26

pein

Re: A leson to the "No Boys" civs.

learn the difference
killing: using weapon to terminate its life even if someone wants to keep alive
letting it starve: signaling that you can not provide a good life for her/him
killing is never justified, especially if you are good enough

letting starve or not
by picking me up you already wasted my time, so need to give a brief about things i cant possibly know, a task you need to help and guarantee that i got a slight chance to have some food always. raising me to age 3-4 and letting me stave pisses me off more

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#52 2018-05-06 14:18:42

TrustyWay

You dont even pregnate in this game, it is not like all babies are wanted, killing them between 0 and 3, while they are toddlers, is a kinda of IG abortion, you didn't spend 9 nines months with your child in the stomach. You birth automatically a stranger.

I don't mind mothers protecting their kids but I do mind people that respawn to kill EVERYONE because they didn't keep ALL the babies.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-06 14:20:20)

#53 2018-05-06 18:54:48

Go! Bwah!

Morti wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

Well, yes.  And maybe some people have no better place to give their love than to random strangers in a game.  But to build a game on the expenditure of a precious resource that can probably be put to better use seems kinda... wrong.  Games already suck up time and effort; now we're to throw in emotional energy, too?

I mean, I found helping people in OHOL mildly satisfying, but it still felt like I was wasting my life.

Luckily, I've deleted the game already.  Wonder if I can do that for this account?

We're closer to the other side. People on bonding via the internet rather than going to bars in their local areas, rather than hook up with people at work, we are finding people on the other side of the planet who truly share more in common with us because of interests and values have aligned through art, media and education.

Don't be afraid of it. People dreamed this sort of thing would be possible before the internet, that they could just travel thousands of miles from home and happen upon someone who they could love for a lifetime, but rolling the dice by just relocating from Russia to Brazil, or Canada to Malaysia, and hoping that wherever you arrive you will find someone you can meld with, it doesn't work as well as bonding remotely.

Now thats RL stuff.

Well... maybe you and I are closer to the other side, but the woman who really is farming carrots to survive, or even just the homeless dude on the corner, is still pretty far from it.  Why not stay on this side and help them out?

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#54 2018-05-06 21:23:03

stickyflypaper

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Morti wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

Well, yes.  And maybe some people have no better place to give their love than to random strangers in a game.  But to build a game on the expenditure of a precious resource that can probably be put to better use seems kinda... wrong.  Games already suck up time and effort; now we're to throw in emotional energy, too?

I mean, I found helping people in OHOL mildly satisfying, but it still felt like I was wasting my life.

Luckily, I've deleted the game already.  Wonder if I can do that for this account?

We're closer to the other side. People on bonding via the internet rather than going to bars in their local areas, rather than hook up with people at work, we are finding people on the other side of the planet who truly share more in common with us because of interests and values have aligned through art, media and education.

Don't be afraid of it. People dreamed this sort of thing would be possible before the internet, that they could just travel thousands of miles from home and happen upon someone who they could love for a lifetime, but rolling the dice by just relocating from Russia to Brazil, or Canada to Malaysia, and hoping that wherever you arrive you will find someone you can meld with, it doesn't work as well as bonding remotely.

Now thats RL stuff.

Well... maybe you and I are closer to the other side, but the woman who really is farming carrots to survive, or even just the homeless dude on the corner, is still pretty far from it.  Why not stay on this side and help them out?

Why not both?

#55 2018-05-06 22:01:16

fragilityh14

A few things:

Being killed because you're a boy is annoying, but only takes like 30 seconds of your time. I don't think there's any good reason to take revenge in a future life for infanticide. However, if you're a peaceful farm family and someone shows up and slaughters you for no reason and you spawn into their tribe...a bit different.

I'm with the previous poster that want's civilization to expand more. I always think more people should start new camps so there's actually a stable population instead of starting over a bunch of times.

I won't live in totalitarian societies, so if I'm born a girl in one of those places I run off to start a new camp (sometimes stealing some basic items that aren't scarce in a functional civ)

I almost always avoid abandoning babies, but sometimes I just can't keep them. For example, in a recent game I was the only girl, and had 7 boys and 1 girl in a lifetime. I think on the 4th boy in a row I had to tell him I couldn't keep him.

I believe the family line died out anyhow, as far as I could tell. Possible my daughter left camp. I started trapping rabbits at menopause and somehow the people at the camp had starved out with 4 raw pies and relatively close stuff to gather. Was told someone had left with water pouches and no one did anything about it.

Anyway, historically infanticide due to fear of starvation was pretty common. It's definitely within the "spirit" of the gme. What gets me about killing boys, in general, is that they are way better for some tasks, such as long-distance gathering etc When you've reached the point of having carts and a backpack long gathering trips can be very important.

I think the game should have some fertility benefit to being around a man who is at least a 1st cousin. (or possible 1st cousin one removed or farther.)

Besides dealing with the perceived males and population survival problem (which once again, if the males work they can easily produce greatly more than they consume), this would encourage family lines growing out and "marrying" with other villages.

Seriously though: if you have a problem with the culture of the village either stay and try to change it, or start your own, better civilization. Think of this like the book Watership Down. There's no good reason to intentionally destroy villages because of what happened in a previous life.

IMO that constitutes griefing, esp considering the religious human sacrifice aspect fits in with creating a civilization. (Though a lot of these people did believe in spirits coming back to cause catastrophe...)

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2018-05-06 22:03:17)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#56 2018-05-07 05:44:32

Morti

The solution to a food shortage is preemptive expansion, not abandonment, starvation, or murder.
Every child is potentially a new player, you should accept this and welcome them into the game with a positive experience.
There is no argument against this that isn't also an argument against the growth of the player base and a growth of the game.
We are okay struggling through difficult games, it's not okay when 9/10 times players are finding themselves abandoned because you are not good enough, or were not prepared, to keep them alive.

The solution is to be prepared, as an Eve, and as a member of a burgeoning settlement.

DTkxcds.png
Because I know some of you are not native English speakers, I will retype this message here so you can use a translator to read it.

As an Eve, it is your job to find the ground for you and your children to start a settlement.

keep them alive and each one of them can help you to, not only, build a strong foundation, but to, grow further and fill out the tech tree.

As a first child of an Eve, it is your job to pay attention to the landscape your mother is exploring. Note where you can help her to prepare the trunk of the tree so that all the branches can grow out. You were probably in her arms while she was exploring the area, you know where the forageable food and branches are, where the water, reeds and clay are, where the wild carrots and rabbits are. You can begin to prepare the tools and make the fire so your family not only has a good foundation, but survives to the point where you can begin to fill the tech tree.

As a second child, your job is similar to the first's, but you will have less information about the surrounding area. I twill be your role to put what your family brings to the settlement to use; shape the adobe into a kiln, lay out the soil to prepare the farm, shape and fire the clay into bowls for water. Build any basic tools your family may be missing; stone hatchet, firebow drill, snares. Put what your mother, and first sibling, has brought to the area, to use. Explore as far as you need to find food. Make at least one basket for yourself and bring back clay for bowls and plates that will be used to forge iron into steel and to make pies. Gather up the milkweed stalks for rope and thread, and gather branches to be used for tools, kindling and charcoal. just make sure your family has the soil out, the seeds int eh ground, the water ready, and the farm up and running.

Third child, while your role includes what your mother and first and second siblings have not yet had the time or opportunity to do, you will have almost no information about your surroundings unless your mother shows you around. Be sure to set your home marker, travel with food, most forabeables will be depleted around the settlement, and be wary of your temperature. If your mother has started the settlement on desert, it may be best to stay warm longer, so you can run faster and have a larger food meter, when it does come time for you to travel to gather resources.

All future children, grandchildren, and descendants; your roles will be to fill any missing branches of the tree while insuring there is a strong food supply. When a strong base is established and the majority of the tree is filled out, it will be up to one of you to go out into the world and scout for a new expansion. You will come to know that time when you see it. Ideal places for seeder settlements to grow are the same as those where Eves settle; you want a patch of desert near a swamp with ponds and reeds, and a grassland nearby where you can find branches for kindling, charcoal and tools.

As children come into the world naked, it is best to have your settlement on desert where they can work in their early years without having to travel far and eat often. The carrot farm and forge should be placed on desert tiles as the temperature they proved is 2-3 times more efficient when it comes to rate the food meter is depleted based on temperature.

Ideally clay and soil are also close by in the swamp and grassland. A source of natural soil is a must for a new settlement.

gPu0bbh.png

Over time, the distance traveled to gather resources may drop with each new child, as farms get up and running and people find themslves born into settlements with enough resources to keep them busy for a lifetime.

If you find yourself in a settlemt that has steel tool and a fairly stable farm, consider being a seed yourself, for a new settlement where there are enough resources to support a family for several generations.

As a young man you can go out and lay the foundation for a new settlement, as though you were an Eve, and then, when you have a strong base ready for children to branch out into the tech tree for that settlement, you can come back to inform any young woman that the ground work has been prepared.

As a young woman, you can do the same, but you will have less time to find and prepare the foundation before you begin having children. Finding a warm desert where you can place your children while you gather resources helps to extend your food supply quite a bit.

#57 2018-05-07 06:14:43

YAHG

This is good, only thing is yellow is horrible to read on white.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#58 2018-05-07 06:26:10

Morti

YAHG wrote:

This is good, only thing is yellow is horrible to read on white.

IKR, I should have used light green and dark green, instead of yellow and light green. Why most of the third child/knowledge/prairie stuff is either written in orange or brown as well.

Or, red, orange, light green, light blue, dark blue, purple.

Or a light grey canvas to type on, but it was a quick graphic I wanted to illustrate, not an infographic a plan to add to a portfolio. XD

Last edited by Morti (2018-05-07 06:30:49)

#59 2018-05-07 06:59:46

YAHG

It would be cool to have seed settlements! We could trade fresh furs to the center cities for a sheep!
It would be a good trade or other things, like a cart of baskets of iron for a cart of mutton pies <3
The city would also be lacking in wood for the forge, perhaps there would be other things maturer cities could have to trade as well, maybe soil?
Rocks are good trade goods too, they end up getting picked clean. The forages always out hunting for more goods.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#60 2018-05-07 08:55:31

Morti

YAHG wrote:

It would be cool to have seed settlements! We could trade fresh furs to the center cities for a sheep!
It would be a good trade or other things, like a cart of baskets of iron for a cart of mutton pies <3
The city would also be lacking in wood for the forge, perhaps there would be other things maturer cities could have to trade as well, maybe soil?
Rocks are good trade goods too, they end up getting picked clean. The forages always out hunting for more goods.

I don't know about trade and all that yet. I just want to curb the murder, neglect and abandonment issues, and one way to do that is to present people with the condition where they are needed and most likely to contribute. At the moment that is not when women are standing around a fire doing nothing but picking up and putting down babies, gossiping about who stole what tools and snatching up weapons stating they can't trust people while 50x50 meter area is covered with all sorts of items and 100 projects half completed.

The most productive times are 2nd to 6th generation, when gatherable resources are fairly close; pleanty of natural soil, clay, reeds, wild carrot seed and berries in the surrounding area to support people who are out gathering them. When people can see the need for basic things like; a basket full of pouches to help water the farm, a steel hoe so people don't need to keep remaking stone ones, and an axe and shovel to help clear the immediate area of swamp and pine trees, and remove rocks and stumps so people can path easily, especially into swampy area where they have to go deeper and deeper to find ponds.

The most people are happiest and most productive in those times of a settlements existence.

There is something for everyone to do and new players can also see others producing goods, combining items, and climbing the tree. It's the most ideal situation for the greatest number of people. If someone wants to expand the wheat, berry, carrot or milkweed farms, it's a perfect time for them to see their contributions, double, triple, or even bring a nonexistant farm of those types, online and be responsible for providing something to the colony that did not previously exist. Same goes for so many other things, making tools, making a sheep enclosure, domesticating muflon, bringing in baskets or carts full of rabbits, making the first pies. All these opportunities and more are there to keep the players busy and the children in demand, while people continuously check up on the carrot farm.

Trade might be nice, but the best thing we can do is give gifts. We already do this as families, I don't need to trade the rabbits for pies, I give the rabbits to the colony and maybe make myself a back pack from some of them in the process. If I've already made myself all the fur clothes, I will give them all to the colony, knowing that someone, will be thankful that someone, dropped them off, and made them available for anyone inclined to process them into packs, fur clothes and pie. It's satisfying enough to provide for ones family without bartering or trade.

I can see a little detachment creeping in, if a person from a neighboring seed colony comes in and takes the ax of yours, or you feel less inclined to drop off a cart of rabbits to a neighboring seed, but most people will be unaware or not inclined to travel such great distances to take things from their neighbors if their own resources surrounding their home haven't been significantly depleted.

For now I see a few problems that are keeping us from ever reaching the point where those are regular occurrences. We need to have communities capable of supporting that many people AND have that many people playing in that community AND have that community supportive enough of the players that come and go through it to feel inclined to be productive and not begin to feel the trappings of envy, covetous, sloth or gluttony, taking over themselves or others.

We're still learning to walk together in this game and we're tripping up on the same rocks, time and time again. We need to clear them off our path before we even get to them, so we're not looking to blame each other. This is why I do forgive you folks who have abandoned and let starve, your children in the past, but also why implore you to look to the future; there are better ways. Ways to avoid these problems, if we can just get enough people to be so bold as to rekindle the fire that starts with each Eve's journey. To take it upon ourselves, to ease the pressure, when the time comes.

This is not a responsibility you should feel the need to order another person to take upon themselves. That'd be wrong. But if you feel that time has come, if you feel it looming on the horizon, it wouldn't hurt to share your feelings with your children or someone else, so that they know you feel it, and if they feel it too, maybe your combined recognition can give them the incentive, the motivation, to be the one to set out on that journey.

It's a lot to ask, but it sure beats seeing you starve your children when I'm pulling carrots and you're not.

I don't want to see you giving up on your children anymore.

I don't want our family to be in the position where you even consider that an option.

I'm willing to carry you to full term, I'm willing to give you a tour around the village so you can see how far we've come, and find clothes for you and give you a job if you like. Just know that if your next sibling comes out short of all that, I still love you and I want you stay busy and work hard, for all the people who have done so before you, and will so after. And if you want to come along as I give your sibling the same tour I started giving you, asking me to feed you while you still have hair, I'm not going to turn you away.

#61 2018-05-07 15:03:30

KucheKlizma

TL:DR Drop off unneeded babies in the woods. Got it.

#62 2018-05-07 16:57:40

Lily

pein wrote:

by picking me up you already wasted my time, so need to give a brief about things i cant possibly know, a task you need to help and guarantee that i got a slight chance to have some food always. raising me to age 3-4 and letting me stave pisses me off more

Well if you make it to four, you at least have a chance to pick things up so you can survive. Since you don't starve instantly, there is even a chance to survive at age 3 alone. I have had a mother sacrifice herself to raise me to age 3 before, and I ended up surviving to old age by myself in the wilderness. It is possible to survive even younger if you find someone else who can feed you.

Board footer