One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-04 11:14:15

Dishehs

A leson to the "No Boys" civs.

I was born and killed several times in a place that only had girls, I decided to make it my next target. After a few attempts I was finally born there as a Girl.

As soon as I grew hair I started stashing stuff stuff behind trees. The Blacksmith noticed her tools missing and the baker noticed her pies going missing, no one suspected me tho.

By the time i was older I had hidden stockpiles of pies and weapons. As I predicted many people started to starve to death, made my job eaiser.

Funnily enough I witnessed a women starve right next a cluster of hidden pies. With thr village weakened and all the weapons in my possession I finally revealed myself and killed the survivors.

#2 2018-05-04 12:30:22

btn

Re: A leson to the "No Boys" civs.

i mean judging by your post history you'd have done it regardless

#3 2018-05-04 16:38:36

stickyflypaper

So it wasn't actually keeping only girls that killed them, but you.

#4 2018-05-04 17:57:44

BlueRock

All that village wanted was to live on, and so you destroyed it yourself. All of their hours gone because you weren't what they needed to survive, for the few moments you spent as a baby boy to take it personally. The game gave you a chance to do good, and look at what you did instead.

#5 2018-05-04 18:11:56

Angel Carrillo

Big deal! Civilations growth time depends on how large they are. Small village, even a semi-noob could do that with their children! Semi-Small Village, ehhh, you see those everywhere. Medium villages, takes some patience, but you can get one going and even partially developed if you work hard and smart enough within your lifetime (or half!) Large cities, definitely a reason to be somewhat upset, but they're so large at that point they might have contact with other villages or cities and they'll get repopulated if you're lucky (as the founding mother or father, not the killer.) Megapolis, extreme hard and smart work, that's a reason to pee in your pants if you hear your megapolis got wrecked. Anything above is just insane rage.

Last edited by Angel Carrillo (2018-05-04 18:12:03)

#6 2018-05-04 18:17:54

Turnipseed

stickyflypaper wrote:

So it wasn't actually keeping only girls that killed them, but you.

I used to be in the boys are useless camp, but ive actually seen only keeping girls kill towns due to overpopulation. Not to justify what the OP did. If you dont like how people play just find a new town.. once ive put down roots i usually keep all my kids and natural selection takes care of the rest... if everyone is contributing the more the merrier. Though its rarely the case

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-05-04 18:26:48

FeignedSanity

So what's the message again? If I'm not mistaken, it's "not to have an all girl civ or some dick is gonna come by and try to destroy you?". I feel like people try to destroy civs for a plethora of different reasons, kind of par for the course.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-05-04 18:31:33)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#8 2018-05-04 18:30:58

stickyflypaper

FeignedSanity wrote:

So what's the message again? If I'm not mistaken, it's "not to have an all girl civ or some dick is gonna come by and try to destroy you?". I feel like people try to destroy civs for a plethora of different reasons, what makes this one so special?

Exactly. So there is no real lesson here for anyone.

#9 2018-05-04 18:33:38

FeignedSanity

stickyflypaper wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

So what's the message again? If I'm not mistaken, it's "not to have an all girl civ or some dick is gonna come by and try to destroy you?". I feel like people try to destroy civs for a plethora of different reasons, what makes this one so special?

Maybe the lesson he's trying to teach is that if he catches you doing it he's basically threatening you with the same fate? In which case, okay guy.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-05-04 18:45:34)

#10 2018-05-04 19:07:18

stickyflypaper

FeignedSanity wrote:
stickyflypaper wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

Maybe the lesson he's trying to teach is that if he catches you doing it he's basically threatening you with the same fate? In which case, okay guy.

So villages should raise every single child and overpopulate in case one of them decides to come back for revenge.
Of course, then someone is likely to decide "This place is stupid for raising too many children! So I will take matters into my own hands and kill everyone!"

Last edited by stickyflypaper (2018-05-04 19:07:48)

#11 2018-05-04 19:10:31

YAHG

Dishehs wrote:

I was born and killed several times in a place that only had girls, I decided to make it my next target. After a few attempts I was finally born there as a Girl.

As soon as I grew hair I started stashing stuff stuff behind trees. The Blacksmith noticed her tools missing and the baker noticed her pies going missing, no one suspected me tho.

By the time i was older I had hidden stockpiles of pies and weapons. As I predicted many people started to starve to death, made my job eaiser.

Funnily enough I witnessed a women starve right next a cluster of hidden pies. With thr village weakened and all the weapons in my possession I finally revealed myself and killed the survivors.

Good on you, those fuckers deserved it.

None of you retards would be pissed if he did it because they killed him every time as a brown baby, so fuck off.

If I am born into a village that kills all the boys I will probably kill them as well.

They shall reap what they sow..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#12 2018-05-04 19:20:09

FeignedSanity

YAHG wrote:

None of you retards would be pissed if he did it because they killed him every time as a brown baby, so fuck off.

I think you may be letting your personal feelings cloud your judgement. That's a terrible example because brown babies and white babies in the game are exactly the same. So in your example, the only reason is them being brown. But boys and girls are not the same in the game, one allows for your lineage to continue, and the other does not. There is a reasonable argument to be made, excluding the gender fact. Now if both men and women worked the same, then you'd have a point.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-05-04 19:21:05)

#13 2018-05-04 19:21:48

YAHG

If you can't see that it is Evil then there isn't much else I can say to you.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#14 2018-05-04 19:23:05

FeignedSanity

stickyflypaper wrote:

Of course, then someone is likely to decide "This place is stupid for raising too many children! So I will take matters into my own hands and kill everyone!"

Yep. Simple fact of life, you can't please everyone. Someone will always be upset.

#15 2018-05-04 19:48:47

Pronghorn

Might have been Amazonia.
I will tell you guys what happened yesterday from my point of view.
I was born there yesterday during the reign of an old queen. They actively and happily killed all boys born for their god.
I had only heard of this kind of village. It was new to view it all first hand.

I was a growing girl working on the farm, watched all of this thinking, "the moment I have a son I'm
going to run out of this village!" So I secretly prepared a little basket of pies.
A new queen was chosen. Her name was Helen. All mothers that gave birth to boys stood in line at the sacrifice area. They willingly gave him to the queen's knife. They kept killing boys without remorse. You couldn't remove the murdered bodies. The town was littered
with blood and bones. They had two gigantic graveyards full of old dry bones.
The day came when I had a son. I took him away and told him everything. He thanked me. But two ladies found us so I couldn't go and get the basket of pies I had in storage for this very moment...
So I ran with my baby into the woods with nothing.
We ran into a relative named Juan...a male... in the woods too. I wondered how he survived. Maybe his mom did the same thing I'm  doing. I said, "Juan how did you survive out here?!". But once he saw us he ran away.
I was able to raise my son until he was three and I knew I would die of starvation. I died telling him that I'm sorry I couldn't do more for him.

I think what they were doing at Amazonia was horrible. What if a male you killed is re-spawned as a female and gets revenge? Or what if you are ruining the future of the town by having unchecked amounted of fertile people in your village? Soon your food will run out. Isn't that obvious? Maybe they didn't care. They just seemed to like killing.

Last edited by Pronghorn (2018-05-04 19:50:02)

Please be kind.

#16 2018-05-04 20:04:14

jord1990

Come on guys and girls, Don't look at me as mod but as a normal person when I say stop giving these threads the replies they are craving for. Let him post his version of events and move on. don't drag out this millionth "Hey Im a griefer now give me attention" thread.

#17 2018-05-04 20:07:31

Spockulon

YAHG wrote:

Why isn't there much else you can say to us about the matter? Why won't you expand on your views and beliefs here so that we can all gain a clearer understanding and work together to be constructive.

My prevailing assumption, which could be terribly and demonstrably incorrect, is that some of the players who are most offended and vocal about this topic believe it's some kind of feminist agenda or political critique on gender roles. I've seen some word choices on the forums that bear similarities to the rhetoric used by "men's rights activists" and "incels" in their own forums. Completely circumstantial? Maybe, sure.

I just want to expound on this a little, because I have played both ways. Very early on my play style was not to raise the boys as an Eve until I had a more established camp. I then lived a few successful lives as a male which proved to me that males are equally as useful. I am especially interested in their affect on population/food balance.

I just want to point this out, from my perspective, more often than not, this isn't personal or political. Stories like Pronghorn's seem to be the exception more than the rule, and even in that case it seems more like a instance of roleplay gone awry.

YAHG, by the way, I think you and I have played a life or two together, and I really enjoyed your blunt, humorous nature.

Last edited by Spockulon (2018-05-04 20:08:04)

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#18 2018-05-04 20:15:52

FeignedSanity

@pronghorn

ohhh, well that would explain it. If he was reffering to kill in this sense, then it's starting to make sense. I've been conditioned to assume that when people say kill babies, it means you starve them by not feeding them. People usually say murder when they talk about killing in this sense. If that's the case then have fun with that. If you're destroying a civilization made of assholes, then knock yourself out.

@YAHG

If this is what you were referring to, then I'm sorry I misunderstood. I wasn't aware you were referring to actual murder of boys. I could wish for more clarity but it's just a matter of miscommunication. If this is not the case, then I maintain my stance.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-05-04 20:25:05)

#19 2018-05-04 21:09:30

YAHG

Spockulon wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Why isn't there much else you can say to us about the matter? Why won't you expand on your views and beliefs here so that we can all gain a clearer understanding and work together to be constructive.

My prevailing assumption, which could be terribly and demonstrably incorrect, is that some of the players who are most offended and vocal about this topic believe it's some kind of feminist agenda or political critique on gender roles. I've seen some word choices on the forums that bear similarities to the rhetoric used by "men's rights activists" and "incels" in their own forums. Completely circumstantial? Maybe, sure.

I just want to expound on this a little, because I have played both ways. Very early on my play style was not to raise the boys as an Eve until I had a more established camp. I then lived a few successful lives as a male which proved to me that males are equally as useful. I am especially interested in their affect on population/food balance.

I just want to point this out, from my perspective, more often than not, this isn't personal or political. Stories like Pronghorn's seem to be the exception more than the rule, and even in that case it seems more like a instance of roleplay gone awry.

YAHG, by the way, I think you and I have played a life or two together, and I really enjoyed your blunt, humorous nature.

Hopefully we did <3

RP is fine, RP gone awry is also fine, people coming back from the dead and killing you for murdering you is fine.
Whether they do it because you killed them or because they killed all the boys maybe isn't super relevant.
I think/feel categorical murder is more vile than individual murder, but I am not sure I have good arguments
for why I see it that way. I think being upset when people are doing evil shit (or even just fucking with you) in game
and taking it out on them in game instead of trying to drag it to some authority figure like a mod or Jason etc. is perfectly fine too.

I agree with the OP in his response to their actions.

I have noticed from time to time people trying to use moralism to silence or censor people here, so far all inroads
of outrage culture have been crushed mercilessly <3. I do not think it is wise to allow that type of cancer to spread
without challenge, EVER.

Calling people out is not the same as trying to silence them.

Longer related explanation:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 531#p12531

Shorter related explanation:
There are no perfect containers, what you do in one place echos into all your places and even into you. Be wary of what you do, nothing is ever JUST anything.

#20 2018-05-04 22:25:03

KucheKlizma

TL:DR The kids who scream "NO HONOR" in For Honor when you push them off a ledge came to OHOL.
Proceed to get pushed in a well as babies and scream "NO MOTHER".

#21 2018-05-04 22:38:42

Spockulon

YAHG wrote:

Hopefully we did <3

RP is fine, RP gone awry is also fine, people coming back from the dead and killing you for murdering you is fine.
Whether they do it because you killed them or because they killed all the boys maybe isn't super relevant.
I think/feel categorical murder is more vile than individual murder, but I am not sure I have good arguments
for why I see it that way. I think being upset when people are doing evil shit (or even just fucking with you) in game
and taking it out on them in game instead of trying to drag it to some authority figure like a mod or Jason etc. is perfectly fine too.

I agree with the OP in his response to their actions.

I have noticed from time to time people trying to use moralism to silence or censor people here, so far all inroads
of outrage culture have been crushed mercilessly <3. I do not think it is wise to allow that type of cancer to spread
without challenge, EVER.

Calling people out is not the same as trying to silence them.

Longer related explanation:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 531#p12531

Shorter related explanation:
There are no perfect containers, what you do in one place echos into all your places and even into you. Be wary of what you do, nothing is ever JUST anything.

Yes, I agree that there is something so deeply disconcerting about categorical or methodical murder, even in game. I wonder whether it is borne out of player boredom, frustration with the game mechanics/balance, or whether some people just "like to watch the world burn". As I grow older (in game and IRL LOL) I've come to realize there are some people who will do anything for a big reaction. To me, the difference is whether or not you use it to bring joy and happiness to others, or rather use it to spread negativity and frustration.

For me I try not to take it personally, but I will concede that my emotions get the better of me at times. I have been killed/left to starve because I was born a boy, because I was born dark, because I was born light, because I was born at the wrong time in the carrot harvest. I've lost my temper at them at times and cursed at them.

It is often easier for me to accept my death if there is some RP element to it, but not always. For me, RP is really where the game lives. If you aren't RP, you're missing out on this little magical slice of the game. Who cares if everyone wants to RP or not? Who cares if its just the slightest bit geeky or wasteful? My best lives were always heavy on RP.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#22 2018-05-04 22:39:24

TrustyWay

It is more fun if we let villages having their own rituals, good or bad, instead of killing everybody not thinking like you. It would make me sad to live in the same kind of village over and over

I love when people bring up their personality instead of predefined reactions.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-04 22:42:53)

#23 2018-05-05 02:19:57

BlueRock

I think there is only one logical solution to this.
The Original Poster wants us all to stab BB boys. Actually stab them, don't let them starve or tell them sorry, stab them, and give a prayer of fertility for a girl.

#24 2018-05-05 05:29:43

Morti

Dishehs wrote:

I appreciate this, but I do want you to understand, there are better ways.

Letting children die has gone too far.

Killing children, is unacceptable human behavior, even in a game.

Two things can change here; the game we play, or the way we play the game. The first is up to Jason; something can be adjusted. The second is up to us.

I think we could, and should, reconsider the way we are growing.

erhhc0.jpg

Experienced players should be able to recognize when a civilization is reaching the carrying capacity of the land around it, and take it upon themselves to create satellite settlements, a lot of you already have picked up on this and I strongly believe this is the way to go.

It can happen anywhere from 2nd generation on. As a player that does not sacrifice his children, that is willing to do what it takes to keep every child alive or die trying. I often go by the name Sol these days, and my children are named after the planets, moons and Greek and Roman gods (though the name list doesn't recognize several of the names I choose) and I have made it my mission to fight against this urge to let children die for my own sake. While I am generally most productive as a male born to a semi successful civilization, I enjoy being an Eve most of all.

While I am pretty good at finding great starting locations by exploiting the "temp lock" and using every berry worth of food to it's fullest potential, I've not yet mastered climbing the entire tech tree as fast as possible. I also take great risks with my food meter at the cost of my own life, and if you were my child, new to the game and depending on me to return, I am sorry. I will often go off and 'wake up' cacti and rabbits, when I should really be making fire, farming, or simply being more attentive to you, left on that warm patch of desert edge near the ponds.

Apologies out of the way, let's break down this greater problem. We are losing players people.

Jason has made a point of this; something like 10,000+ people have bought this game and yet we rarely have more than 100 playing on the public servers most of the time. While it is nice to get to know some of you in this way, via your gameplay and posts, I really want a larger player base, especially because I love to teach almost as much as I love to learn, and new players means new opportunities to pass on good lessons. But when new players come into the game, the last thing they need it for their first experiences to be those of a helpless child abandoned by their mothers as they too struggle to survive.

Those of you experienced enough to have the idea in your head that you should abandon children for the sake of starting a settlement, or, are under the impression that it's a good thing to let players born male go unfed when you have enough resources that your village can easily seed expansions, should also be smart enough to understand this point: the shorter the life of this game, the shorter OUR time together, as a community of players. New players are the children of our civilization and if you really love this game you should be welcoming every child into the world, indiscriminately, because many of them, are those new players, and as our towns die due to neglect, so to will this game, and all the worth of all you have contributed to it.

We, gamers, we really need this game. We need this lesson in our lives. Many of us are not getting it because we choose to spend more time with our hands on keyboards and mice than we do other people, and I'm concerned that a lot of really good lessons are going to waste on a lot of people, when they aren't actively considering the joy they could bring to a child's life; the lessons they have learned and can then pass on, to the future of mankind. But who am I to say if the world will be better or worse if the gamers of the present don't pass their genes on to the minds of the future?

I think the time will come, as times do, when we will look back on these days and see where we made our mistakes. But know this now, it is not too late. It's not too late for us to be better players of this game and to each other. It's not too late for the game, for us to be a part of something great that leaves a lasting message on the world, as so many great games do. It's not too late for humanity, and for you as an individual to find someone special, doing something you both love, to bring new life into this world and leave it better off than you found it.

Sob stories out of the way, how do we do that?

1. Teach more. I am finding a lot of players are new players, and they are struggling to learn the game. Some are regularly switching back and forth between the game itself and wikipedia recipes, trying to learn the tech tree. Keep an eye out for these players. It's pretty easy to spot by their actions. Help them out. If you can tell what they are trying to do and what ingredient they are missing in a recipe, bring it to them, and show them how and where you got it, if you can.

2. Care more. Is that cart full of rabbits really more valuable than the player you just gave birth to? I've been teaching a lot of people how to use temp lock to travel long distances without stopping to eat as often, this is also extremely useful for when you give birth far away from home. Find a nice warm patch of desert edge, spend 10 seconds asking your child to lock their temp and follow you, a minute to teach them how if they don't know, or, you can just leave the rabbits and take the child home in your arms. This is one example of any of them I could choose from, but human life, at this stage in the game, is exponentially more valuable than anything else. Everyone has the potential to be the seed of a new home. It's not just the lineage we leave behind that makes a village, but the tools and infrastructures we pass on through the works of our hands that give future children a foothold on the world.

3. Grow more. And I don't mean carrots, I mean colonies. Just as every child is the bud of a family tree, every new satellite that radiates outward is an opportunity for a lineage to carry on. We don't have the numbers worked out yet, but we need to figure it out. Could 10 satellites radiate out from a central town, and that town still maintain itself longer than any has yet? Maybe not, maybe communication at that point would be too difficult and struggles over surrounding resources would guarantee hardships. Our mission is minimize that difficulty and strike the balance as best we can. But right now even one satellite does people a world of wonder to release the travel time between resources, and their central gathering place. Somewhere on the horizon is always a place where life would be easier. Right now I'm getting the feeling that that place is more inviting every 3-6 hours of a settlements existence. If you spend a life as a hunter for a town that has filled out the tech tree, and you find a swamp with ample ponds, near a large food source, consider bringing a few basic tools there and starting another settlement as a mother in a future life. You can almost just as easily do this straight away as a young girl born to a prosperous town, as people become fairly sedentary once a strong farm is in place. If you are gifted a backpack, and are comfortable living off foraged food, it's almost as easy to have the ground work for a new colony ready by the time you may begin to have children, as it is for an Eve with a much larger food meter. In some ways it's a lot easier. Just don't abandon your kids if they come out a little too early for your liking. If an Eve can do it from nothing, you can do it with the headstart you've brought with you. But knowing that such a place exists where a start would be easy, that is best done as a male, in a previous life, as you don't need to abandon children or give up the search because you've had one.

If you are a competent player who can have three kids and still start a civilization plunging blindly into the unknown, then it is your duty to be the seed of a civilization on the brink. Accept that role with my blessing and may no snake hide on your path.

#25 2018-05-05 05:46:43

pein

as experienced player i want to spend less time serving others, especially nothing good comes out of it
you hunt rabbits, people ask for backpacks, i dont want to hunt all my life, you make a farm, people think you provide food for all their life. i can do advanced stuff, you just walking round and round is it so hard to farm for 5 minutes?
i made a forge, you messing around, should i go further to be undisturbed?

the thruth is, most people cant do advanced stuff, and baby rating is too high, mainly no one plays as eve, they just expect everything on silver plate, and if we would see some statistics, how many people born multiple times back just to die at young age, still never farming or doing anything useful, results would be shocking

and the people who think that they are good at the game is very high, but in truth they got 0 flexibility, and attention for others
im the kid who doing smithing with some hair on top of his head, if i see something like that, i put a backpack on his back

others scavenge dead people, and in full gear they think they are some big shots, and everyone else is noob

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer