One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-05-05 05:50:05

Dishehs

Re: A leson to the "No Boys" civs.

Some good points among the salt here. Here's what I'll do, I'm going to dedicate some time to trying to help towns even if they piss me off. I still think killing every boy is a stupid idea. Males can work for a whole life without adding more strain to the population.

#27 2018-05-05 05:55:55

Siolfor the Jackal

Morti, I fully agree with that whole thing, I think we play very similarly. I will keep babies alive even if it means I myself starve. Sometimes I'm too slow and don't make it back in time to feed, and I'm very sorry to those babies, I really am.
It is a bit annoying having to "wake up" the local rabbit and cactus populations but it is a must and better to get out of the way as quickly as possible. The satellite camp is a great idea, maybe once you've established a good food source(like got your carrot farm running) you could start sending your children off in each direction, asking them to set up smaller back up settlements which eventually may grow into bigger main settlements, and then keep repeating.

As for the topic, I was spawned into a dead settlement today and repopulated it. One of my daughters confessed to killing a town under similar circumstances as the OP, she said they were abandoning babies and she wasn't going to stand for it. She asked for my forgiveness and I gave it to her, telling her I believe every player should have the chance to live.

#28 2018-05-05 06:35:11

Alleria

Morti wrote:

We don't have the numbers worked out yet, but we need to figure it out. Could 10 satellites radiate out from a central town, and that town still maintain itself longer than any has yet?

We do have the numbers. The second longest running dynasty (about 70 generations) survived partly because the family was split up amongst 4 towns. During off-peak only 1 or 2 of those cities were occupied. I doubt we'll ever have a megalopolis with 10 satellite towns though.

Also, you made the argument that you're being selfless by raising every single child. That's hardly accurate - you do it because you feel bad when your inaction causes another player to die (which is healthy). With your playstyle, I don't see how you can spend quality time with every child. When I have a child, I will tell him/her the story of the town, what generation it is, and pertinent information about the lay of the land. Often, if I have time I'll ask if I can teach them something. By limiting my reproduction, it means the children I do keep, have a higher quality experience.

Also, it's nice when I actually do work and contribute to my family rather than just creating extra mouths to feed (my own included).

Last edited by Alleria (2018-05-05 06:36:38)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#29 2018-05-05 06:37:07

YAHG

Alleria wrote:
Morti wrote:

We don't have the numbers worked out yet, but we need to figure it out. Could 10 satellites radiate out from a central town, and that town still maintain itself longer than any has yet?

We do have the numbers. The second longest running dynasty (about 70 generations) survived partly because the family was split up amongst 4 towns. During off-peak only 1 or 2 of those cities were occupied. I doubt we'll ever have a megalopolis with 10 satellite towns though.

Also, you made the argument that you're being selfless by raising every single child. That's hardly accurate - you do it because you feel bad when your inaction causes another player to die (which is healthy). With your playstyle, I don't see how you can spend quality time with every child. When I have a child, I will tell him/her the story of the town, what generation it is, and pertinent information about the lay of the land. Often, if I have time I'll ask if I can teach them something. By limiting my reproduction, it means the children I do keep, have a higher quality experience.

This is something that tears me too. I like to give them a town tour, tell em about what I think
we need to do for the future etc. I almost never know the generation. I don't know how many
of my Eve camps survived, hopefully a few.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#30 2018-05-05 07:07:16

pein

btw how can you give a lesson without stating the lesson or making them know your name? like keeping all boys, , telling others to do so, warning people, etc?

most people maybe didnt even know and you were just another sad pathetic griefer, no a freedom fighter to them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#31 2018-05-05 07:14:08

Potjeh

pein wrote:

mainly no one plays as eve

Wait, what? That's like the best part of the game. I'm always so happy when I get to play as Eve.

Anyway, yeah, I try to keep all my babies too. I try to teach them a bit, but it's nearly impossible because the birth cooldown is too damn short.

#32 2018-05-05 08:40:31

KucheKlizma

Being unable to distinguish between a video game and real life is alarming. Seek help if you're experiencing this.
In the meantime we need a way to domesticate snakes or to at least be able to eat our own babies like scorpions. Nom nom nom nom.

#33 2018-05-05 09:17:13

Baker

Why are you guys feeding trolls, you do realize this is what he wants right?

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#34 2018-05-05 11:05:46

TrustyWay

I learn people to not keep boys because they will have better chance to survive.

You don't acctually kill somebody, you make him spawn somewhere else, there is nothing personal about it.why do you get emonional upset about ? It is like you needed to take revenge on women rather than the players.

It could be a reason if you survived them but killing them by inside because they choose a winning strategy is pretty lame.

I don't know if you know but IRL people used to not give name to their kids too early because they died quick, they weren't snowflakes even if they have the lifespawn of snowflakes.

Alleria wrote:

Also, it's nice when I actually do work and contribute to my family rather than just creating extra mouths to feed (my own included).

Very true, trying to be logical with feelings.... Lol

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-05 11:10:59)

#35 2018-05-05 12:30:01

Morti

Dishehs wrote:

Some good points among the salt here. Here's what I'll do, I'm going to dedicate some time to trying to help towns even if they piss me off.

I appreciate that.

Dishehs wrote:

I still think killing every boy is a stupid idea.

It is, and you can do whatever you like to fight against it, however you choose to do so.
I know you are not a troll, you mean well, really, we all do, we just see some paths as easier, more satisfying or as more valuable.
I would rather reason, and exchange reasons; it's far more rewarding for and will leave you with a clearer conscience, than levying accusations or harm.

Dishehs wrote:

Males can work for a whole life without adding more strain to the population.

It's really not a gender issue, it's a player performance issue. Being born female is giving lazy and uneducated players a pass into a lazy and uneducated society that thinks culling people is the solution. It never is, they will always fail because those making the decisions are the same ones standing around fires contributing no work and only raising children, who are then more likely to go on to do the same. They cannot see that they are their own problem, and will not see it until they are condemned by everyone else that plays and understands. If you want to try and reason with them in game, you become a part of the problem as well, as words cannot be shared without the passage of time, and with it, a consumption of energy, generated by food, that is not being replaced through labor and the value that work brings to a society.

#36 2018-05-05 13:19:37

Dishehs

I'd also like to clarify one thing real quick. I understand that killing babies is needed, especially in overpopulated or struggling towns. There is a difference between doing what is needed to save a town and needlessly letting them when you have a massive surplus in most things.

That town had cartloads of pies, carrots, meats, clothing. Obviously they already had lots of women, I don't think a few Men would have been a big deal.

I also don't understand how having all girls is supposed to help with the population. Wouldn't it make more sense to have mostly Males in our towns with just a small number of women. The male majority can focus on advancing your civ while the females can focus on raising the next generation.

#37 2018-05-05 15:21:01

Morti

Dishehs wrote:

I'd also like to clarify one thing real quick. I understand that killing babies is needed, especially in overpopulated or struggling towns. There is a difference between doing what is needed to save a town and needlessly letting them when you have a massive surplus in most things.

It's not needed, what is needed is a certain amount of labor for the upkeep of a civilization.

More people require more food, more food requires tools, water, soil. Tools require iron, charcoal, branches. Trees are needed within a certain range, but people cut down those trees for firewood, increasing the range people need to travel for branches. People only need 24 carrots or so worth of energy in an entire 60 year life, IF, they could maintain a perfectly balanced temp their entire lives, 180 carrots worth of energy, if they aren't wasteful, but do neglect their temperature. But, since we cannot, at this time, maintain a balanced temp, and have the freedom to travel as we'd like, as we need to, we use more, sometimes a lot more. Factor in overeating and overfeeding, and a person that could be living a full life, in terms of time, on 24 carrots, is burning through 240 carrots worth, especially if they are a woman just standing by a fire, in fur, eating pies, gossiping for a half hour about who killed who as she throws children in and out of the fire like they are sacks of mindless potatoes. Those kids, who haven't seen labor in the camp, don't know a caring mother, then grow up, wandering about, not wanting to commit to any job, because they don't feel attached to the place, not wanting to trust anyone, fighting for dead peoples clothes and not cleaning up anything.

These are all jobs attentive mothers could assign to kids, all problems that are escalated by bad routines and arrogant attitudes.

It's ridiculous how many problems are in this game, because of bad solutions the players have tried to implement that may have succeeded in the real world, but won't in a game like this because WE DON'T DIE, the characters do. The benefit of a death penalty in real life would be that the person who was the threat, is removed, but in a game, where you kill someone for feeding pie to babies, or, for pulling a seed carrot, and that person just comes back, in here THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO EXECUTION. There is, however a magnified benefit to education in a world where minds do not die with bodies. Where love and the expression of care, compassion and concern do carry over from generation to generation. When you love your daughter, and speak to her as though she is the greatest thing to happen, and then she goes on to give birth to you, and showers you with what feels like even greater affection, that is beautiful.

We really are a small community, and the littlest things ripple rather quickly.

A little less encouragement of discrimination and infanticide would be nice.

#38 2018-05-05 17:33:00

Go! Bwah!

KucheKlizma wrote:

Being unable to distinguish between a video game and real life is alarming. Seek help if you're experiencing this.

This is my problem with the game in general - that it seems to rely on people having emotional connections with random strangers that would be better spent on real-life relationships.  It seems to encourage unhealthy behavior.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#39 2018-05-06 01:22:40

Morti

Go! Bwah! wrote:
KucheKlizma wrote:

This is my problem with the game in general - that it seems to rely on people having emotional connections with random strangers that would be better spent on real-life relationships.  It seems to encourage unhealthy behavior.

It's a lot less unhealthy to love random strangers than people wanting to kill random strangers, or abandon random strangers that appear as children in their life.

If we play like we care, and we do; many of you have given me my best memories through the parenting RP, then we can stand the test of time and Jason can tweak things as he does to make things easier on caring mothers; more reasonable for them.

At the moment I find a distinct advantage to raising all kids as an Eve, so long as I find a warm patch of desert to place them on where they consume as little of their own fat store as possible, see; computeFoodDecrementTimeSeconds.

Yet you who feel the need to neglect children are turning people away from the game. Some of you pretend it's some wise, calculated, choice you've made. When it is, in fact, the gravest decision you can possibly make for the future. You only exist because the game allows you to come back, and someone eventually cares for you. As a new player, that is how it is, 9 times out of 10, and the 10th time you get to try as an Eve. Well what can these new players do as an Eve, having known so much abandonment? Even the ones that stand in the cold, eating berries, but still raising children, are more likely to give rise to settlements that stand the test of time; a day, maybe? heck, at this point, I think 10 generations making it 2-3 hours is a pretty darn successful set, compared to all the Eve's who have died running wild.

As for the model, the solution, address that; we need to expand more once we are successful. That should be the norm. For those of you that have already begun to do this, your cities have been the greatest, and I thank you, Brave Mothers, for taking the initiative and not falling for the trappings of sedentary life as a brood mother, wearing fur, standing on bear skin, over desert tiles, by a blazing fire eating berry+carrot+rabbit pie faster than I can burn through a single berry on a bad day.

Thanks, fire cows, who think because they wear a gold crown, they get to dictate what gender child OTHER PEOPLE get to keep.

Those are the real problems. Dish and others like him, are only hastening your civs demise because it's obvious YOU are playing wrong, if YOU want to go about saying your decisions are for the sake of the future.

-

I know, all you ever wanted was to be born to a child with your own name. You thought, by maximizing the number of girls, you maximized the chance of that, and that's all you ever wanted. But now you have Justice to deal with for your neglect, and it's not going to be pretty, I assure you.

#40 2018-05-06 01:34:23

BlueRock

Oh dear, people are going to be persecuted for being pro-abortion.
May the Cactus God protect the innocent Mothers, the wombs of our future generations.

#41 2018-05-06 02:03:19

KucheKlizma

Uh oh Social Justice is coming, whatever are we going to do.

You should totally make an organisation called "Bully Hunters" and stream OHOL games where you go and hunt the mean bad bullies.

Oh wait...

#42 2018-05-06 02:19:50

Morti

BlueRock wrote:

Oh dear, people are going to be persecuted for being pro-abortion.
May the Cactus God protect the innocent Mothers, the wombs of our future generations.

It's gone too far with some people and it can't be allowed to be the norm.
If it was 1/10th of the time a child was not afforded the opportunity to know life, that would still be too much, but at the moment, it's more like 1/10th of the time we are given an opportunity to live.

It's an unacceptable number and this behavior has become too normal.

It should never have caught on.

...thanks, I guess, for your blessing... Cactus... Cleric? Friar? Lama? Swami?
What do you folks title yourselves?

As a desertphile I could see getting behind a practice like this. I'm not really into the whole religion thing, but if there is any biome that deserves love for the warmth and food it provides, it certainly is the desert.

Come to think of it, maybe I should start my own cult... If I did it would be something centered around the use of these balanced temp tiles. I can't stress enough how little people take advantage of them, but I love that many of you are repeating the lesson to others and catching on.

I did do the math and balancing temp is 7.5 times more efficient, all other factors aside. It's the difference between 24 carrots worth of food consumed in a life and 180 carrots worth, but 180 would be naked in tundra or clothed in desert, which, so many desert farmers are guilty of; farming in full fur.

Far as the cult thing, I don't know, maybe runner. Desert Runner? Desert Hopper? Jack Rabbit? Desert Jack? Desert Fox?

I'll think about it. Doesn't even need to be cultish, just a name that reflects someone who takes advantage of the bounty of the desert (specially those temp tiles) and isn't afraid of snakes. Did I mention that? I respect the snakes, but I'm not afraid of them. While I do keep movement held down, I'm pretty quick on the cursor and haven't died to a snake in a long time.

Maybe, oh my, what is this... xerocole!
What a word!

Xerocole means desert animal, any desert animal, that has specifically adapted to those conditions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerocole

xerocole... Zerocool, I know , maybe a little cringy, you, older folks know what I'm talking about, but just the name Zero Cool, as in, No Cold, or perfectly balanced calmness, like a clear head. Not to hot and angry, not cold and heartless. Just right.

Even though the temp meter is 0 = cold, 0.5 = balanced and 1 = hot.

Maybe this is not the place for me to be going on about all this... meh, like it matters.

Just mind your temps folks, and love your kids. All I ask.

for now

#43 2018-05-06 02:34:29

Go! Bwah!

Morti wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:
KucheKlizma wrote:

It's a lot less unhealthy to love random strangers than people wanting to kill random strangers, or abandon random strangers that appear as children in their life.

Well, yes.  And maybe some people have no better place to give their love than to random strangers in a game.  But to build a game on the expenditure of a precious resource that can probably be put to better use seems kinda... wrong.  Games already suck up time and effort; now we're to throw in emotional energy, too?

I mean, I found helping people in OHOL mildly satisfying, but it still felt like I was wasting my life.

Luckily, I've deleted the game already.  Wonder if I can do that for this account?

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#44 2018-05-06 02:44:10

YAHG

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Morti wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

Well, yes.  And maybe some people have no better place to give their love than to random strangers in a game.  But to build a game on the expenditure of a precious resource that can probably be put to better use seems kinda... wrong.  Games already suck up time and effort; now we're to throw in emotional energy, too?

I mean, I found helping people in OHOL mildly satisfying, but it still felt like I was wasting my life.

Luckily, I've deleted the game already.  Wonder if I can do that for this account?

Good luck

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#45 2018-05-06 04:33:25

Morti

Go! Bwah! wrote:

We're closer to the other side. People on bonding via the internet rather than going to bars in their local areas, rather than hook up with people at work, we are finding people on the other side of the planet who truly share more in common with us because of interests and values have aligned through art, media and education.

Don't be afraid of it. People dreamed this sort of thing would be possible before the internet, that they could just travel thousands of miles from home and happen upon someone who they could love for a lifetime, but rolling the dice by just relocating from Russia to Brazil, or Canada to Malaysia, and hoping that wherever you arrive you will find someone you can meld with, it doesn't work as well as bonding remotely.

Now thats RL stuff.

How about this game stuff, these parenting simulations like The Sims, they attract caring people, and allow them to bond overtime, like guild members in the highest rated WoW guilds, they become more than just random players to each other; they become friends, lovers, extended family members. Do some of the relationships not end so well, sure, you hear a story about lovers that run guilds who's breakup tears the guild apart. It happens, but it happens outside of video games, outside of the net as well. Major companies have been splintered and liquidated over couples who, after a time, just didn't want to be with one another.

This is life.

One thing is sure. We are all gamers. We all know this game, and we all love something about it enough that we're here.

Over time a community may arise, like the communities of players around other games, but, adding parenting to the conversation, there is a greater potential for a generational conversation. I don't know how old you folks are, but I've been playing electronic games for almost 40 years, and I have met many people who are married thanks to video games as well as several children who are a result of their parents communicating via the games and the forums.

Would it be better if people married their elementary school sweethearts? Their college partner? A business partner? Someone they met at the pub maybe? These are all potential places but to say anyone is better or worse than another is a little silly. Same goes for people who bond via social media sites, dating sites, MMOs or forums for bird watchers.

I think a lot of you are really good people, and you deserve the chance to find good people like yourselves, wherever you go.

-

I just can't get over how potentially beneficial it would be for people to talk more about parenting, just in general. And with all the digital distractions we are presenting ourselves with these days, and in the future, it wouldn't hurt to talk about the subject via mediums. A lot of us around the world have great parents, a lot of us don't. Why such a great divide between families? Why so many neglected children turn to crime, live unsatisfying lives and go on to reproduce people born under the same circumstances, and can not help their children to truly lift their family out of that cycle?

Meanwhile their are great families, moms and dads who stick together, children that go on to Universities to become doctors and lawyers and have great families of their own. Families that take in six, seven, eight figures a year like that's just the way it is, always has been and always will be for them. They have massive family sections at the cemetery, they know their ancestors going back 500 years or more. They care; about themselves, their children, and their elders.

And they are damn successful at life.

Where is that for us?

How do we cultivate that in this new world?

Adding this element to our games, I think, is vital.

We're not going to divorce ourselves from games. Most of us will game will we die, some already have. There is obviously something very attractive about the purpose games give people. We can try and shy away from it, and condemn it, or we can live WITH it and find the balance; make it work, with what we already know is happening.

No one has gotten it right yet, what this present means for our future. Every book, movie or game, that attempts to foresee the future, fails to incorporate key aspects of human behavior.

Often times it's the desire to care for others, that, while not distinctly human, is certainly a trait of life, we have exploited to our greatest advantage, and it's one of the most powerful that dystopians overlook. Cry about problems all you like, but if you're not giving solutions, you're not helping. And love, really is a solution. It raises families out of generations of poverty, it inspires people to take great risks for great rewards, and it relieves tensions that can otherwise lead to wars, suffering and death.

-

I'm not saying you are bad people for murdering your children in this parenting simulator.
You ran an experiment, you got your results.
Now lets try to care for our children more than we ever have, see where that leads.

I can already say that if you are the mother of three kids, and those three know the tech tree, know how to watch their temp and to eat food farther away from your central starting area as possible, you are certain to have a successful settlement.

Same goes for a town of ten players, if you give birth to three more kids, and those 3 all know how to prioritize jobs; they can see the need for a smith to make hoes, the need for seed, the need for soil, the need to EXPAND IF NECESSARY, then you and they will live good lives to old age, if you so choose.

However, the odds of these scenarios drop if you replace just one of those three children with a new player.

So what do you do if it happens that all three of your children are new to the game?

They just got done watching a streamer play the game, or saw a video and decided to give this a go. What is the best thing you could do if you are given such a child, or, have three at a time, all incapable of lifting a finger to help you, at once?

If you have been reading my posts you shouldn't have to ask; YOU TEACH.

I'm not talkin, fuckin, formal education here. You don't need a chalkboard and textbooks, grab a stone, crack it on a rock, cut some reeds, make a basket. Go through the motions, let them know that this is what we do to climb the tech tree to stability. Demonstration through a let's play or stream is one thing, being in the game and having someone do it before your eyes, another. And doing it for yourself, feeling that power grow in your hands as rocks, turn to hatchets, turn to axes; baskets become carts on wheels; wild carrot seed becomes pie, and all the while these, steps, are building up in the players memory...

I am an educator IRL, well, was for many years. This subject brings tears to my eyes. For greater reasons than you may suspect if you aren't also an educator and interested in subjects like evolution, anthropology or philosophy. These are all subjects that have weighed in heavily on the value I place; on reproduction, and education.

I almost value the way information is passed on memetically, as it is genetically.

We couldn't have had this, though, without language; sounds to represent nouns, pictographs, alphabets, Fortran...

I'm sorry.

Love your children, mind your temperature.

#46 2018-05-06 04:58:21

YAHG

Morti wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

We're closer to the other side. People on bonding via the internet rather than going to bars in their local areas, rather than hook up with people at work, we are finding people on the other side of the planet who truly share more in common with us because of interests and values have aligned through art, media and education.

Don't be afraid of it. People dreamed this sort of thing would be possible before the internet, that they could just travel thousands of miles from home and happen upon someone who they could love for a lifetime, but rolling the dice by just relocating from Russia to Brazil, or Canada to Malaysia, and hoping that wherever you arrive you will find someone you can meld with, it doesn't work as well as bonding remotely.

Now thats RL stuff.

How about this game stuff, these parenting simulations like The Sims, they attract caring people, and allow them to bond overtime, like guild members in the highest rated WoW guilds, they become more than just random players to each other; they become friends, lovers, extended family members. Do some of the relationships not end so well, sure, you hear a story about lovers that run guilds who's breakup tears the guild apart. It happens, but it happens outside of video games, outside of the net as well. Major companies have been splintered and liquidated over couples who, after a time, just didn't want to be with one another.

This is life.

One thing is sure. We are all gamers. We all know this game, and we all love something about it enough that we're here.

Over time a community may arise, like the communities of players around other games, but, adding parenting to the conversation, there is a greater potential for a generational conversation. I don't know how old you folks are, but I've been playing electronic games for almost 40 years, and I have met many people who are married thanks to video games as well as several children who are a result of their parents communicating via the games and the forums.

Would it be better if people married their elementary school sweethearts? Their college partner? A business partner? Someone they met at the pub maybe? These are all potential places but to say anyone is better or worse than another is a little silly. Same goes for people who bond via social media sites, dating sites, MMOs or forums for bird watchers.

I think a lot of you are really good people, and you deserve the chance to find good people like yourselves, wherever you go.

-

I just can't get over how potentially beneficial it would be for people to talk more about parenting, just in general. And with all the digital distractions we are presenting ourselves with these days, and in the future, it wouldn't hurt to talk about the subject via mediums. A lot of us around the world have great parents, a lot of us don't. Why such a great divide between families? Why so many neglected children turn to crime, live unsatisfying lives and go on to reproduce people born under the same circumstances, and can not help their children to truly lift their family out of that cycle?

Meanwhile their are great families, moms and dads who stick together, children that go on to Universities to become doctors and lawyers and have great families of their own. Families that take in six, seven, eight figures a year like that's just the way it is, always has been and always will be for them. They have massive family sections at the cemetery, they know their ancestors going back 500 years or more. They care; about themselves, their children, and their elders.

And they are damn successful at life.

Where is that for us?

How do we cultivate that in this new world?

Adding this element to our games, I think, is vital.

We're not going to divorce ourselves from games. Most of us will game will we die, some already have. There is obviously something very attractive about the purpose games give people. We can try and shy away from it, and condemn it, or we can live WITH it and find the balance; make it work, with what we already know is happening.

No one has gotten it right yet, what this present means for our future. Every book, movie or game, that attempts to foresee the future, fails to incorporate key aspects of human behavior.

Often times it's the desire to care for others, that, while not distinctly human, is certainly a trait of life, we have exploited to our greatest advantage, and it's one of the most powerful that dystopians overlook. Cry about problems all you like, but if you're not giving solutions, you're not helping. And love, really is a solution. It raises families out of generations of poverty, it inspires people to take great risks for great rewards, and it relieves tensions that can otherwise lead to wars, suffering and death.

-

I'm not saying you are bad people for murdering your children in this parenting simulator.
You ran an experiment, you got your results.
Now lets try to care for our children more than we ever have, see where that leads.

I can already say that if you are the mother of three kids, and those three know the tech tree, know how to watch their temp and to eat food farther away from your central starting area as possible, you are certain to have a successful settlement.

Same goes for a town of ten players, if you give birth to three more kids, and those 3 all know how to prioritize jobs; they can see the need for a smith to make hoes, the need for seed, the need for soil, the need to EXPAND IF NECESSARY, then you and they will live good lives to old age, if you so choose.

However, the odds of these scenarios drop if you replace just one of those three children with a new player.

So what do you do if it happens that all three of your children are new to the game?

They just got done watching a streamer play the game, or saw a video and decided to give this a go. What is the best thing you could do if you are given such a child, or, have three at a time, all incapable of lifting a finger to help you, at once?

If you have been reading my posts you shouldn't have to ask; YOU TEACH.

I'm not talkin, fuckin, formal education here. You don't need a chalkboard and textbooks, grab a stone, crack it on a rock, cut some reeds, make a basket. Go through the motions, let them know that this is what we do to climb the tech tree to stability. Demonstration through a let's play or stream is one thing, being in the game and having someone do it before your eyes, another. And doing it for yourself, feeling that power grow in your hands as rocks, turn to hatchets, turn to axes; baskets become carts on wheels; wild carrot seed becomes pie, and all the while these, steps, are building up in the players memory...

I am an educator IRL, well, was for many years. This subject brings tears to my eyes. For greater reasons than you may suspect if you aren't also an educator and interested in subjects like evolution, anthropology or philosophy. These are all subjects that have weighed in heavily on the value I place; on reproduction, and education.

I almost value the way information is passed on memetically, as it is genetically.

We couldn't have had this, though, without language; sounds to represent nouns, pictographs, alphabets, Fortran...

I'm sorry.

Love your children, mind your temperature.

That was a lot better than I think I could've said it. I usually go into a rage when people mock me for giving a shit smile.

You are right though these are real people on the other sides of our monitors. They are not any less than the ones we see about our day.

#47 2018-05-06 08:24:32

stickyflypaper

Such awesome commentary, dang.

I know there's good, idealistic reasons to care for every child I have, but when I'm in the moment, as an Eve or Eve's daughter, struggling to survive, I still can't bring myself to risk giving my energy away to yet another boy.

Does that make sense? I'm having trouble explaining myself.
I feel like I should feel bad about abandoning a child, but my selfish survival instinct overrides my empathy, or something.

Well, also I know the player (the child's soul) doesn't actually die and they will get another chance. I wouldn't actually abandon any child in real life in a survival situation. (Or maybe I would if it were prehistoric times... I don't really know).

Last edited by stickyflypaper (2018-05-06 08:25:04)

#48 2018-05-06 09:02:25

YAHG

stickyflypaper wrote:

Such awesome commentary, dang.

I know there's good, idealistic reasons to care for every child I have, but when I'm in the moment, as an Eve or Eve's daughter, struggling to survive, I still can't bring myself to risk giving my energy away to yet another boy.

Does that make sense? I'm having trouble explaining myself.
I feel like I should feel bad about abandoning a child, but my selfish survival instinct overrides my empathy, or something.

Well, also I know the player (the child's soul) doesn't actually die and they will get another chance. I wouldn't actually abandon any child in real life in a survival situation. (Or maybe I would if it were prehistoric times... I don't really know).

Yeah it is rough, way I see it is I am only gonna live for an hour anyways..

I can die trying to help us both live and respawn myself or I can leave em out in the cold..

One thing I like to do is ask them "Do you want to live?" sometimes I will tell them (while
standing in warm tile of course) "We are very poor but we are trying" "Do you want to be on our team?".

Today I stood by the berry bush with my only baby after I asked them if they wanted to live,
they had said "f" but they didn't have it in them I guess to answer the direct question so I just
stood there and let it hang in the air. I told them I was ok with dying if they didn't want to live,
then I starved in front of the food to show them I meant it.

You can live and you can die and you and live and die again. You don't have to get hung up on
not being able to survive and you can keep yourself in the process,at least that is what I think.

I don't like to keep babies if they wont affirm their choice of life. I also won't chase suicides.

edit: said something wrong

Last edited by YAHG (2018-05-06 09:05:36)

#49 2018-05-06 13:41:07

KucheKlizma

There's no good reason to let every baby live.
1) You're collapsing your civilization
&
2) You're bringing a new player into a collapsing civilization

Essentially you're just delaying someone's inevitable's respawn by minutes, where it could have been over in seconds, while also ruining a civilization.
That's the definition of griefing.

If you're having an emotional attachment to dying in video games and you feel like you should only live once like in RL, then IDK what to say. WHY ARE YOU EVEN PLAYING GAMES?

When I kill babies at least I do it fast, I don't torture them in poverty like you.

Last edited by KucheKlizma (2018-05-06 13:44:52)

#50 2018-05-06 14:02:59

KucheKlizma

If you want real life then here's the ACTUAL real life for you:

The first recorded evidence of induced abortion is from the Egyptian Ebers Papyrus in 1550 BC.[4]

Silphium.jpg

Silphium (also known as silphion, laserwort, or laser) was a plant that was used in classical antiquity as a seasoning and as a medicine.

There has been some speculation about the connection between silphium and the traditional heart shape (♥).[18] Silver coins from Cyrene of the 6–5th century BCE bear a similar design, sometimes accompanied by a silphium plant and is understood to represent its seed or fruit.[19] Some plants in the family Apiaceae, such as Heracleum sphondylium, have heart-shaped indehiscent mericarps (a type of fruit).

It has been speculated that the plant may also have functioned as a contraceptive, based partly on Pliny's statement that it could be used "to promote the menstrual discharge".[4] Many species in the parsley family have estrogenic properties, and some, such as wild carrot,[15] are reputed abortifacients (chemicals that terminate a pregnancy). Given this, it is quite possible that the plant was pharmacologically active in the prevention or termination of pregnancy.

Contemporary writings help tie silphium to sexuality and love.

330px-Daucus_carota_May_2008-1_edit.jpg

Daucus carota, whose common names include wild carrot....

Extra caution should be used when collecting D. carota because it bears a close resemblance to poison hemlock. In addition, the leaves of the wild carrot may cause phytophotodermatitis,[9] so caution should also be used when handling the plant. It has been used as a method of contraception and an abortifacient for centuries.[10]

Board footer