One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-21 01:39:47

sigmen4020

Newbies need better food knowledge.

You might think this is directed towards new players from the title, but no this is aimed towards you Jason. The tutorial simply isn’t good enough to prepare newbies for the game. This is a pretty well known fact. It basically only teaches you about early game, which newbies are hardly gonna see, and even they did they’d be dead there within minutes. But all that is besides the point.

It is well known now to people who check the forums and the development in general that most food now will eventually become 1 pip per bite (every food with 6 or lower pips on Onetech), problem with this is that newbies are taught in the tutorial to stay alive by eating berries. Sure they’re also shown some wild food that they’ll barely ever see unless they travel, but there needs to be more better foods shown off in the tutorial. As of now newbies are taught to eat probably the worst food you could possibly eat (thx pein and miskas for the stats you provided in my last thread) in a town. This causes water to run out faster than ever, keeping up berry bushes for 6 pips worth of food each. I’ve taught a lot of of newbies in my time playing this game, and I’ve had to teach most of them how to eat better foods like mutton pies and stew, because most of them literally just know how to eat berries. And with the food nerf right now, there hasn’t been less time for vets to teach them to know any better.

So what would be my solution to this? Make a good showcase in tutorial. Show new players how to eat common and good foods found in towns, such as pies, stew and milk. It shouldn’t be the job of veterans to teach new players how to eat properly. That’s the tutorials job. The easiest way to do this would probably be to replace most of the berry bushes in the tutorial with actual decent food.

I apologize in advance for the rants.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-04-21 01:42:53)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#2 2020-04-21 01:43:25

pein

Re: Newbies need better food knowledge.

Should be like a yum fiesta and they would need to cut through a whole lot of trees. First without then with different foods.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2020-04-21 02:00:52

Caiaphus Tarwater

As a complete noob, I have starved with food in my hand that I didn't know how to eat.  In the tutorial, the clay bowl is used only to make steel, not drink milk.  More apropo training would be helpful.

#4 2020-04-21 03:33:33

Spoonwood

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-04-21 10:38:57

LunyTerror

I name all my boys Elias and all my girls Eylul. If you get named Elias or Eylul It's me. smile

#6 2020-04-22 00:20:35

sigmen4020

As I mentioned in the post, replacing the berry trees in the tutorial with better food would probably do. I just think it’s incredibly counterproductive that newbies are taught to eat the absolute worst foods they could eat. With the nerfs and all.

#7 2020-04-22 00:36:12

DestinyCall

Do the berries in the tutorial even provide enough food to keep you alive to sixty?    I feel like you would run out of food while smithing in the advanced area.

#8 2020-04-22 00:41:53

sigmen4020

They did last I tried, maybe I should do a rerun of that challenge at some point and confirm.

#9 2020-04-22 02:14:50

wondible

DestinyCall wrote:

Do the berries in the tutorial even provide enough food to keep you alive to sixty?    I feel like you would run out of food while smithing in the advanced area.

Tutorial players are effectively eves, so they don't have horribly degraded metabolism. I think the eat bonus might be in effect as well.

So not only do they eat berries, they get the impression that you can live off them tongue

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#10 2020-04-22 02:18:44

Grim_Arbiter

wondible wrote:

So not only do they eat berries, they get the impression that you can live off them tongue

Exactly.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer