One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-07 10:08:07

Dodge

Another take on specialization (no dropsy, no restriction)

Desert: Extremly hot, non blacks can only stay for a very short time while food drain becomes extremly fast, temperature comfortable for black people.

Thundra: Same but with extremly cold (clothes dont help much/at all the non whites), temperature bearable for white people comfortable with clothes.

Jungle: Lots and lots of mosquitoes (really a lot) brown people are immune to yellow fever.

Note: Shouldn't be able to stand on tile with object to avoid yellow fever from mosquitoes (note sure if change has been done for mosquitoes).

Issue: you want players to have to go in the center of the biome and not get ressources (palm,sulfur,latex,oil) from the biome border.

Note: whites and gingers could be mixed or not, if not replace white with ginger for thundra.

Possible exploit that needs solution: Brown people (or every race?) planting palm and latex trees at biome border, related to issue above, also roads to different ressources (gathering process could be timed? like with oil and latex).

Possible solution: There could be jungle and deep jungle biome, jungle sourrounds deep jungle but only deep jungle grows latex and palm trees (same concept for other specialty biomes)

No dropsy mechanic but very high risk of death.

You can get ressources in your non specialty biome but you might regret it.

#2 2020-04-07 13:02:35

arkajalka

Re: Another take on specialization (no dropsy, no restriction)

Good idea. Everyone would have acces to resources, it would just be super easier for the people that expertise on it.

Maybe whites could have acces to all, with the help of items.

Desert: whites could acces for limited time with undyed long dress and undyed cloak. (reflects heat.)

Jungle: Medicine to have immunity for yellow fever for some time. Cloak to protect from mosquito bites.

Snow: Full top of the line animal skin outfit (wolf hat, seal skin, rabbit pants, snakeskin shoes). Maybe even make it so you can make cloaks out of bearskins and you would need to wear that.

Imo cloaks are best restriction tool for this as you have to sacrifice your carry space to gain acces to the biomes. Making your time there less efficient as you cant carry huge amounts of food in backpack. Also restricts the amount of stuff you can get out of the biome with the limited carry space.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2020-04-07 13:26:24

Elsayal

Use a Horse Cart with some food in it and all these restrictions suddenly fall off and aren't no of a great deal.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#4 2020-04-07 13:33:05

arkajalka

Elsayal wrote:

Use a Horse Cart with some food in it and all these restrictions suddenly fall off and aren't no of a great deal.

Just restrict it so that horses cant go into special biomes and move their natural location to praerie.

Would be nice nerf to blacks and horses too. Obamas and ponys are way too strong at the moment.

Horses are essential, dont really get it why they are restricted to one race only.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#5 2020-04-07 13:43:20

Elsayal

arkajalka wrote:
Elsayal wrote:

Just restrict it so that horses cant go into special biomes and move their natural location to praerie.

Ahem.
Do you mean that you will have to carry bowl of palm Kernels one at a time ?
I'm not sure if you really though through it, did you ?

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#6 2020-04-07 13:54:16

arkajalka

Elsayal wrote:
arkajalka wrote:
Elsayal wrote:

Ahem.
Do you mean that you will have to carry bowl of palm Kernels one at a time ?
I'm not sure if you really though through it, did you ?

Well thats the whole idea... If you are not specialized on that biome you will just get just a few of that resource out of there. The races that are specialized on there can go there with a cart with rubber tires without any problem.

#7 2020-04-07 14:07:27

Elsayal

arkajalka wrote:

If you are not specialized on that biome you will just get just a few of that resource out of there. The races that are specialized on there can go there with a cart with rubber tires without any problem.

Oh I didn't understand you well, my bad.
People will then have the horse waiting at the entrance of the biome. But I think it could work that way, since you will consume a lot of food while wandering in it.

But if you can't go accros your non-specialized biomes with a horse, you will waste a lot of time while travelling, going around, or looking for waystone (and then the horse may go wild and flee away)

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#8 2020-04-07 14:28:14

arkajalka

Elsayal wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

If you are not specialized on that biome you will just get just a few of that resource out of there. The races that are specialized on there can go there with a cart with rubber tires without any problem.

Oh I didn't understand you well, my bad.
People will then have the horse waiting at the entrance of the biome. But I think it could work that way, since you will consume a lot of food while wandering in it.

But if you can't go accros your non-specialized biomes with a horse, you will waste a lot of time while travelling, going around, or looking for waystone (and then the horse may go wild and flee away)

Yap ofc you can always make it work, but it needs co-operation or you have to deal with escaping horse.

Also horses are too overpowered atm, rendering cars totaly useless. Buff car by not having it consume so much fuel and make it able to go past every biome. Would make cars actually leggit.

#9 2020-04-07 14:40:16

pein

I think it would be better to have people buy special territories and nothing would regrow automatically but you could build a greenhouse for it. The races would get discounted price for their speciality and 4x price for the non-speciality. You could only buy 4x4 at a time, starting from edges. OFC we would need a currency system where you can change your work and products for money.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-04-07 18:00:34

Melea

Dodge wrote:

Possible solution: There could be jungle and deep jungle biome, jungle surrounds deep jungle but only deep jungle grows latex and palm trees (same concept for other specialty biomes) ... No dropsy mechanic but very high risk of death. You can get resources in your non specialty biome but you might regret it.

arkajalka wrote:

Just restrict it so that horses cant go into special biomes and move their natural location to prairie. ... Also horses are too overpowered atm, rendering cars totally useless. Buff car by not having it consume so much fuel and make it able to go past every biome.

These are amazing ideas!

One of the things I hate about the specialization update is the magical uselessness of being in 'unfamiliar' biomes. Can't gather, can't interact with anything, can't even hold an item. That massive nerfing "update" locked away large parts of the game for players each life. But making the special biomes more hostile overall while giving the associated race a buff to working in that biome is much less irritating.

Perhaps along with being less affected by temperature extremes and hostile wildlife, the appropriate people know their biome well and get full amounts when gathering resources. And the wrong families for that area get reduced results - only one bowl of sulfur from a spring? Only able to collect bowls of latex instead of buckets, or new partial buckets? Higher chance of failure when going for oil?

With mechanics like that things are still possible. MUCH more difficult, and much more risky for the wrong races...but still possible. If people absolutely need resources for their village to survive, they can find a way to get them. Yet it still encourages inter-family trade, because having the right race harvest a biome is going to be much safer, and with a higher output.

I know Jason is trying to improve the game...I suppose. But I swear that some of the changes are purposefully, pointedly antagonistic towards the player base. A "whack the players with a big stick so they fall in line and behave how I want" approach, rather than giving us more constructive or productive reasons to behave in whatever way. A lot of the game changes just feel very heavy-handed and many times poorly thought out when considering how those changes interact with other parts of the game. I dunno. It's just frustrating sometimes.

#11 2020-04-07 18:47:42

Spoonwood

Melea wrote:

I know Jason is trying to improve the game...I suppose.

Jason hasn't like players "achieving things" in game.  I don't think it an exaggeration to say that he resented how quickly players were able to do things in the past.  Note that here, he specifically says that he wanted more failures to happen/failures more likely to happen.  The "monkey wrenches" referenced race restrictions among other things.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The world is the imaginary space inside which this thought experiment plays out

"If we had to start over from scratch, but kept all of our knowledge, how long would it take us to get back to iPhones?" where iPhones are a placeholder for whatever sufficiently advanced tech we can imagine.

But that thought experiment involves survival too, which is one of the things that would slow us down.  We have to eat, and keep warm, and fend off natural threats, and have babies to keep the civilization going.  Obviously, we wouldn't get back to iPhones in one generation.  It would take hundreds of years.  Might it take thousands of years?  Might it take longer the second time around than the first?  Maybe the knowledge doesn't help.  Maybe it was all about bootstrapping infrastructure.  Might we never get there the second time around?  Maybe we'd lose the thread.  Maybe all the "right place at the right time" moments wouldn't play out the same way.  Maybe retreading the same ground is impossible.

All that said, so far, this game has been a pretty lousy embodiment of that thought experiment.  The answer is that people get back to diesel engines in a generation or two!

In recent times, I've been throwing in a few monkey wrenches that make failure more likely.  But I've always been somewhat disappointed that the progress up through 3000+ craftable items didn't take longer.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 896#p81896

Also, the whole notion of 'thought experiment' never was an honest one.  After all, in an experiment if some phonemenon takes less time than one expected to occur, that doesn't imply the experiment as thereby a lousy one, since experiments concern discovering things about the world, not forcing the world to behave within certain parameters.  And honest experimenters accept results contrary to their initial hypotheses as meaningful.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2020-04-07 18:51:12

Coconut Fruit

Race specializations? Okay.
Biome specializations? No!

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer