One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 03:13:31

Coconut Fruit

How about boosting yumming a little bit?

How about boosting yumming a little bit?
Currently yumming vs eating high efficient mono diet is very close in water efficiency. It's easy to learn to eat only mutton pies and drink milk. It saves much time and focus to do this kind of mono diet.
Yumming for the other hand is something that only non beginner players can do. It's not even worth teaching new players to yum since there are no real benefits of yumming.

How about making it that every yum food gives +2 pips instead of +1?

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-11-20 03:14:14)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2019-11-20 03:44:22

pein

Re: How about boosting yumming a little bit?

mono diett is only bad if it's inneficient and has noeffort put to it
the goal was always to eat better food
mutton pies are best food since doing them you contribute to other parts of village life and is nutricious, has many steps and uses tool slots

yum was never supposed to be a tedious grind to remember what you ate last, at least if your goal in game isn't the eat all life and let time pass by
it's so annoying to play like that, and it's inneficient too, running around selfishly to eat one more unique thing

I think you are a beginner if you try to reach a max yum. everybody did that first time then realized that it doesn't worth it. some still  do it cause they can math.

plus the original goal was to reduce the mono-diet of low-level raw foods and help the citizens eat better food. A bit of variety, not unique only. A top cap to yum would make it easier to remember and accomplish. I wouldn't mind having double yum bonus but the max would be like 10 extra steps. That would  make easy tohelp everyoen get to 10 all the time with 10 or more diffeent foods.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-11-20 03:57:02

Coconut Fruit

I'm not even a yummer, I always knew it's not worth yumming. Tho like 2 months ago I gave it a try and played only yumming for a week just to get solid experience with it. I felt happy again to no must yum, I felt free again.
But... I really enjoyed yumming even tho my work efficiency decreased while yumming tongue

I had no problem with remembering what I did eat, even tho my memory isn't really that great.

That's why I'm asking for boosting yumming. It's just a nice mechanic... Why making it useless?

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#4 2019-11-20 04:13:45

Spoonwood

Max yum is worth it if you stay around town.  It's definitely more efficient, and even more so if you yum on foods like milks and mutton pie.  If you're out of town a lot, such as building roads to a tarry spot, max yum isn't necessarily worth it.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-11-20 04:43:29

Coconut Fruit

Yumming is totally useless when living most of your life out of town. Just eat all wild berries, they will regrow anyway. But while living in a town as a smith, farmer or whatever, it should really be worth yumming, yet it's not in current state.

+2 yum bonus for every food would make it that yummers wouldn't lose as much focus, because they would eat less often. Additionally with new eat mechanics that allows to over eat, yumming could be actually considered as a pro thing.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#6 2019-11-20 11:47:39

Kaveh

Yumming is worth it to me because high yum allows me to not eat at all for a long amount of time. It might not be worth it in terms of water consumption, but it makes my work much more efficient. As long as I have at least one yum food in my backpack, I'm good for quite a while. I'll look for a few new yummy foods once I run out, instead of constantly stopping my work to run around town looking for yum things AGAIN. Thing is that it feels a bit selfish sometimes (it helps me, but not the town).

So yes, a little buff on yum to make it more efficient in terms of water consumption would be good. +2 sounds nice.

#7 2019-11-20 12:17:27

Spoonwood

I don't agree with Coconut.  There was a post a while back by FutureBird where she experimented by yumming her whole life.  She was surprised at how much more she could get done.  Nothing has changed in that respect either.

Edit: here is FutureBird's post: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5682

That all said, maybe for game play balance yum should get buffed.  I don't think it would do a whole lot for starving new players though, and I think that's a bigger concern (your family members starving I think a bigger concern then you not having foods X, Y, and Z to yum on).

pein wrote:

mono diett is only bad if it's inneficient and has noeffort put to it
the goal was always to eat better food
mutton pies are best food since doing them you contribute to other parts of village life and is nutricious, has many steps and uses tool slots

yum was never supposed to be a tedious grind to remember what you ate last...

This seems strange coming from an experienced player like yourself Pein, because it's not factually correct.  You can pick up the food.  Does it say 'yum' in the lower left hand part of the screen?  Then you can yum off of it.  If it doesn't say 'yum', it will say 'meh', and then you can't eat it for yum.  Thus, yumming doesn't have to be some grind where you have to remember what you ate last.  If you want to have to remember to eat everything for yum, well, that sort of self-imposed pain is on you brother.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-20 12:26:30)

Danish Clinch.

#8 2019-11-20 13:13:43

Coconut Fruit

Spoonwood wrote:

I don't agree with Coconut.  There was a post a while back by FutureBird where she experimented by yumming her whole life.  She was surprised at how much more she could get done.  Nothing has changed in that respect either.

I experimented as well. It's not possible she could do more with yumming than me without yumming. I lose absolutely no time for eating. I can start working right away once I get 3 years old, I'm fully focused on working instead of thinking about yum foods. Having always a pie in my backpack I don't need to look for yum foods, I know where is the kitchen. Further more yummers often lose their slots in backpack for food. It makes their backpacks almost useless for other things.

Spoonwood wrote:

This seems strange coming from an experienced player like yourself Pein, because it's not factually correct.

At least say "in my opinion it's not actually correct"
From my experience I'm pretty sure that it's not worth yumming. When yumming you lose focus, time and slots in backpacks and you get nothing in exchange.

That's why I made this topic. Why such pro activity as yumming has no benefits?

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#9 2019-11-20 13:53:39

Gomez

Tbh yumming probs not worth if viewed from a water efficiency stand point however as a quality of life benefit it is invaluable to me. 

Honestly on some chains I don't eat after 50 if I chill by the fire...that allows for a lot of end of life affairs that can be handled at the hearth, writing notes, giving lore and interacting with newly spawned players.

Can do hungry work when too young or old with yum.

Furthermore ever seen an old guy gobble down a pie or more in the last few minutes of his life because he wasn't yumming?

I think it comes down to play style, I certainly lose time running around looking for yum I try to be efficient about it when possible however I will go out of my way to yum.

Also yumming is great for cooks because you end up cooking anything possible and end up learning a ton of recipes, all in the pursuit of yum. LOL

One more thing to consider about yum and food diversity....it's better for longevity and fitness...why?  because mono diet is boring if someone lands in a town with an impressive dining hall with top tier recipes cooked I've observed they stick around longer. 

Honestly those factors are tough to weigh yeah it's less water efficient but the quality of life from the extra hunger obtained is huge. 

I'd venture to say factoring the fringe benefits of yumming it would be borderline too good at two bonus pips.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-20 13:57:32)

#10 2019-11-20 17:57:54

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

I experimented as well. It's not possible she could do more with yumming than me without yumming.

How could you even know that when you didn't see her play Coconut?  Are you going to claim that you maximize your movement in the game with respect to efficiency and getting all tasks done?  If you are, sorry, but I've studied that problem in depth on a low population server.  It's seriously hard to maximize efficiency in this game to the point that I don't believe anyone claiming that they have maximized their in game efficiency has actually done such (I've never heard Tarr or Pein claim this).  To speak clearly, not for every in game task.  It's an even more difficult problem to maximize efficient play on bigserver2.  So how could you know that it's not possible that she could more with yumming than you without yumming?

Spoonwood wrote:

This seems strange coming from an experienced player like yourself Pein, because it's not factually correct.

At least say "in my opinion it's not actually correct"

No.  Pein didn't seem to account for certain facts.  This wasn't a discussion about whether something looks beautiful or not.  Also, I think Pein is more than capable of speaking for himself if he chooses to or has serious problem with what I said.  He might disagree or think I've not interpreted him fairly or something, but language policing comes as another matter.  And I simply have no interest in watering down matters of fact to matters of opinion.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

From my experience I'm pretty sure that it's not worth yumming. When yumming you lose focus, time and slots in backpacks and you get nothing in exchange.

What's your highest yum Coconut Fruit? Also Coconut, it use to be that if you lived to sixty you would have at maximum 4 bars of food left when you were 59 absent any yum, and 5 pips before that (this was before genetic score existed).  I don't know how I many lives I lived where I had +13 yum, +15 yum, +17 yum, or during some lives where I built roads in a desert of +20 or +21 yum at the end of my life.  Did yum help me live to 60 in such situations?  Sure as heck felt easier to worry about having 24 or 20 pips left in the box than only 6 pips towards the end of my lives.  If you have a low genetic score, and thus low bonus pips, you might not have many extra bars leaving you with maybe half a dozen pips at 59 now, I think... or maybe lower.

Also, your statement about nothing in exchange makes no sense.  With yum, when it's in effect, you clearly get more time before you have to eat another meal.  If you have +10 yum you have substantially more time before you have to eat, especially in old age and you have a low genetic score.  Addiontally, as Gomez has pointed out, yum can make hungry work possible when otherwise not possible.  On top of that, the fertility queue is half-based on the yum level of the women on the server (the other half is temperature).  A woman Sandie at the same temperature, with no birth cooldown, as another woman Sarah, will have a baby first if Sandie has more yum than Sarah.  If the server is dropping in population, then Sandie might have a child, and Sarah just doesn't end up having a child, because Sandie had the higher yum.

Maybe yum isn't as useful as it once was, because of the extra pips from genetic score (edit: see above... probably not... see that part about hungry work... can chop a swamp tree at 58 with yum and a low genetic score, can't without yum though!).  But that's only during old age, since mid-life pip levels haven't changed (I think).  Can yum help during mid-life?  Yes, it can mean that you won't need on a trip out of town, or that you need to have/find less wild food out of town.  You just eat before you go out of town and your yum bonus helps to give you more time on the trip.

Lastly, and I guess you haven't argued that it would, but I think it's still worth to discuss this.  Upping yum would do little for new players.  They don't get it.  It's a bit complicated to pick up on a first or second play through for almost everyone.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-20 18:05:47)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-11-20 18:01:02

Spoonwood

Gomez wrote:

Tbh yumming probs not worth if viewed from a water efficiency stand point however as a quality of life benefit it is invaluable to me.

That depends on what you're comparing.  Yumming uses up less water if eating highly water efficient foods, but may use up more water if eating less water efficient foods.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2019-11-20 18:28:54

Gomez

You're forgetting the feasters who eat yum food as a staple. 

Yes in theory but in practice how much yum food gets wasted?  Sure a perfectly modeled citizen could be more efficient but we're dealing with society totals not the lone uber gamer who makes it better.

slightly off topic I made a beri pie for yum and was cursed for it. LOL!

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-20 18:31:30)

#13 2019-11-21 19:44:52

Saolin

I used to waste a lot of time running around looking for yum foods, but I've had a lot of practice yumming, and i got way more efficient with it over time. Now really the only aspect that takes more time than not yumming is when I have to touch all the pies in the kitchen, which can still be shuffled through pretty quickly just looking for the word "yum". Practice makes you better and more efficient just like anything else. I usually stock my backpack with a portable food item or two, depending on what I'm planning to do, and make sure to eat the stationary foods when I'm in town. Kind of develop a mental list/map of the what/where of the food options and start with the most efficient ones.

I actually get thrown off more if I can't yum due to lack of options, because I'm so used to yumming that I do it pretty automatically and keep having these "oh yeah" moments where I realize I'm not yumming and need to go get another pie, and being distracted every few seconds by my food bar dinging at me that it's already time to eat again.  I haven't tried to calculate exact math on all aspects of yumming vs other diets, partially because many food options contain unique ingredients that are hard to assign a value like clay, buckets, limestone, or time, so I'm unsure exactly where the threshold would be to make one type of diet superior to the other, but going off the assumption that you are eating at a water-equivalent rate for each diet, which I think is a reasonable assumption, a full yum chain results in a buffed character due to a much larger food bar, while a mono diet does not. So personally for me I find yum is the superior option once you are familiar enough with it that it becomes a streamlined routine to yum. Whatever food item you eat doesn't take more time than any other if you plan ahead and already know what you're planning to have next before you need it.

Anyway I would certainly enjoy a buff of course, but +2 would be way too powerful I think. I don't think it really needs a buff, that will happen on a small scale anyway over time with the gradual introduction of new food items making it easier and potentially more efficient, though I do wonder if once we have those "feast" foods that Jason has talked about if it will make yumming obsolete or not.

#14 2019-11-22 08:22:47

BinaryBlackhole

In general i'm pro yum but recent changes have made yum much less useful. Overeating stores excess pips now, so an extra buffer of food can be achieved with high value items like three sisters stew. Yum of course let's you reach higher buffers.
I've also found my yum habits are much less useful in early game settlements, yum values cannot rise as high with low food diversity and obtaining diverse foods like burdocks and onions isn't always worth the time.

A yum value of +2 would be far too overpowered. It might be reasonable if it was applied only to the first 4 foods. This would have the debatable benefit of providing stronger encouragement for players to begin cultivating yum scores.

#15 2019-11-22 09:13:47

Spoonwood

BinaryBlackhole wrote:

In general i'm pro yum but recent changes have made yum much less useful. Overeating stores excess pips now, so an extra buffer of food can be achieved with high value items like three sisters stew. Yum of course let's you reach higher buffers.
I've also found my yum habits are much less useful in early game settlements, yum values cannot rise as high with low food diversity and obtaining diverse foods like burdocks and onions isn't always worth the time.

A yum value of +2 would be far too overpowered. It might be reasonable if it was applied only to the first 4 foods. This would have the debatable benefit of providing stronger encouragement for players to begin cultivating yum scores.

I find this an intelligent comment and I believe that your suggestion of +2 yum to the first 4 foods would have potential.

Danish Clinch.

#16 2019-11-22 11:15:42

Alec

I feel happy when I eat yummy food.
Make yum chain and cook yum food is my best favorite life.
Memorize ate food is little difficult but you know, game is interesting is its difficult.

I agree to boost yumming.

And... How do you think yum or mew face emotion.
It will notices to newbie what is yumming system like bad biomes.

#17 2019-11-22 13:26:24

Coconut Fruit

Spoonwood wrote:

I find this an intelligent comment and I believe that your suggestion of +2 yum to the first 4 foods would have potential.

I don't care about boosting it so little, can not be boosted at all then. I won't yum either if it gets so little boost.
Math is math, high efficient mono diet is better than yumming. Either boost it +2 for every yum or don't bost it at all :P

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#18 2019-11-22 20:02:18

Saolin

What does a typical "mono diet" look like? I suppose it's comprised mostly of mutton pie, but I imagine there's a few other things in there too like the odd berry when young. I'm also interested in particular about the number of bites of each food taken in one life time.

Usually I'll get to yum chain of ~16 in a life without ever breaking the chain. I'm tired of people offhandedly dismissing yum as less efficient when I feel they're probably similarly efficient. I want to compare a typical mono diet to my typical yum diet so I can see for myself. Even if yum is a little less efficient I probably do it anyway because of the extra perks it gives and because I like it, but I want to know.

Mutton pie certainly is very efficient, but when choose not to yum due to lack of food options it feels like I need to eat so much more.

#19 2019-11-22 20:12:00

Coconut Fruit

Mainly mutton pies, milk when available, and wild berries when going outside.
I usually don't eat anything else.
Being able to eat all wild berries when outside is big adventage.

If you've been yumming for a long time, give it a try and try mono died once. It really saves lots of focus and time, and even slots in bp.

I like yumming too tho, that's why I wish it was boosted :P

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-11-22 20:15:48)

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#20 2019-11-22 20:49:59

DestinyCall

A true mono-diet would be eating only one type of food your whole life.   So living on nothing but milk or only eating pies from toddler to elder.   But that's not really how it is done.   When talking about yum, I will usually compare it to a mono-diet as an extreme example, since you receive no yum bonus if you always eat the same food.   Technically, any single food could be the basis for a mono diet - i.e. "berry munching", but usually when people use the term, they are referring to eating mostly meat pies, efficiency-based diet, rather than a varied foods, yum-based diet.

In practice, someone who follows a "mono diet" instead of yumming should focus on eating high efficiency (good) foods and avoids eating low efficiency (bad) foods.   Rather than worrying about high food variety and maintaining high yum, you just need to make sure to have a pie in your backpack and use zoom mod to locate WILD berry bushes.   In town, you can supplement your pie diet with stew, broth, turkey, and bread.    But you should actively avoid producing (or consuming) any low efficiency yum foods, like most raw foods and many of the novelty foods, like tacos, ketchup, and mango slices.

You will mostly eat pies and rarely get more than x3 yum bonus.   But this diet is easy to follow and very water efficient, especially if you can get your hands on a bucket of whole milk.

One thing to note - in theory, the "best" diet in terms of water conservation would 100% WILD gooseberry.  It requires zero water.   But this does not take into count time and distance to gather berries.   Next best option would be whole milk ... BUT ... milk is limited due to storage and transport constraints.   This is why meat pies are the gold standard for the mono-diet.     Meat pies are pip-dense, highly efficient, easy to mass produce, and very transportable.   They are the best backpack food and a solid village staple.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-22 21:05:09)

#21 2019-11-22 20:50:33

Saolin

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Mainly mutton pies, milk when available, and wild berries when going outside.
I usually don't eat anything else.
Being able to eat all wild berries when outside is big adventage.

If you've been yumming for a long time, give it a try and try mono died once. It really saves lots of focus and time, and even slots in bp.

I like yumming too tho, that's why I wish it was boosted tongue

I suppose people probably aren't keeping track of how many bites of pie they take. I am forced into non-yumming sometimes due to lack of options in a town that needs too many things for it to be worth cooking yum foods. Though I find in that situation I tend to catch myself building a chain out of habit before I realize that I was planning not to. I'll have to try to test it next time I find myself in this situation and try to keep track of what I eat.

Being able to eat wild berries is nice. I don't find I conserve any backpack space when not yumming though. Sure I will often add food items to my backpack to save time later, but if I am going on an excursion that requires max cargo space when yumming I can plan it so that I eat my last food item before my BP is full and I won't bring pies so I don't have any leftovers to carry back, and then the fuel of the yum boost is enough to get me back to town. Whereas if I am not yumming I find one slot is always taken by a pie.

#22 2019-11-22 20:54:10

Amon

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yumming is totally useless when living most of your life out of town. Just eat all wild berries, they will regrow anyway. But while living in a town as a smith, farmer or whatever, it should really be worth yumming, yet it's not in current state.

+2 yum bonus for every food would make it that yummers wouldn't lose as much focus, because they would eat less often. Additionally with new eat mechanics that allows to over eat, yumming could be actually considered as a pro thing.

If you don't start your food with wild forage, yumming is very valuable while exploring as well. Just make sure to build up a sufficiently large yum chain before leaving and you'll spend more time exploring than looking for your next bit of wild food.
The benefit of having more time between meals is still valuable outside of town.

---
The always looking for the next bite for yummers is also false. It doesen't take much longer to find a yum food than finding food in the first place (Finding/Locating and eating food is something EVERYONE does in the game, not just yummers). And spending a little more time getting the right food is a pebble on a mountain compared to the time you gain over not having to go eat as frequently in the first place.

Last edited by Amon (2019-11-22 21:00:53)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer