One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-17 20:01:18

Junkmalme

for advanced players- Help us littles, I'm not new but too new, too.

I have about 20 hours in. I've learned the absolute basics as well as some intermediate skills,  and try to be helpful. I've honestly researched different topics and do my best to be useful to my village, most people do.
I see so many players like myself who are working to learn and try.

It is frustrating that I ask to help or learn a trade, and the people who know are too busy to help or show how to do things. I've gone out in the wilderness to use skills I know how to do, but back in town players who have been at it longer are too impatient to allow me to even try. Yes, us newish players are slow. But I've ended up in several villages where only a couple of people know how to do things and the village dies out because they aren't bothering to allow newer players to learn or participate past the bare basics.

-You're trying to build a wall/car/crate/floor/etc? Ok, tell us newbs what to gather or build so you spend less energy and we learn too.
-Need supplies? Tell us to gather things for you. Then we all learn and don't have this huge divide between the experienced and newer.
-Please, I know you get frustrated with us. We aren't fast. But we are trying to learn, just like you once did. Yelling at us helps no one. This game relies on more experienced players to pick up and help out younger players.

-Everybody needs to be making compost in more advanced villages. Pick a spot and for gods sake make compost.

We can mostly all help each other out.

#2 2019-10-17 20:22:27

Dodge

Re: for advanced players- Help us littles, I'm not new but too new, too.

Do you used the tool tip or some other way to learn recipes?

Did you get frustrated using the current tool tip to learn recipes?

Did you think about quitting the game because the learning curve was too steep and unintuitive? or for some other reason

It would be interesting to know the perspective of a "new player".

#3 2019-10-17 20:56:31

Jojigirl

Maybe when towns get more advanced, we can make a habit of making a small training/practice station in the corner of the village.. Set up basic Smith area and cooking area.  That way new players have a place to practice and learn without getting the main Smith and bakers frustrated and sidetracked from what they need to do..  Mothers can take their children over there to help teach them how to bake and smith.. It gives more substance to being a mother as well.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-10-17 20:58:58)

#4 2019-10-17 21:02:28

Junkmalme

Dodge wrote:

Do you used the tool tip or some other way to learn recipes?

Did you get frustrated using the current tool tip to learn recipes?

Did you think about quitting the game because the learning curve was too steep and unintuitive? or for some other reason

It would be interesting to know the perspective of a "new player".

-yes. I know recipes thanks to outside guides, but no chance to practice unless I go to wilderness. More experienced players get frustrated with me not being quick and do it instead.

-the tool tips aren't very helpful, honestly. They aren't intuitive enough, and scrolling through makes other players impatient... they just do it and leave me behind.

-I don't want to quit. I like this game and want to play. I want to learn to play well.

- I feel like I've given honest and balanced feedback.

#5 2019-10-17 21:04:54

Junkmalme

Jojigirl wrote:

Maybe when towns get more advanced, we can make a habit of making a small training/practice station in the corner of the village.. Set up basic Smith area and cooking area.  That way new players have a place to practice and learn without getting the main Smith and bakers frustrated and sidetracked from what they need to do..  Mothers can take their children over there to help teach them how to bake and smith.. It gives more substance to being a mother as well.

That would be fantastic, honestly. I've heard mobile gamers have training town; having a training area (sry Jason, tutorial is way behind what people actually need to learn), with people willing to teach in a corner of a village (or even training town) would be really awesome. If and when I reach an area of knowledge where I could train, I'd be happy to train while I feed bbs.

#6 2019-10-17 21:10:24

Junkmalme

Now, mostly, moms hang out by the fire and keep bbs safe until they're big. I think creating training areas would be really beneficial. Bb has no choice but to hang out until they're big. It would be a great time to teach skills. Not all moms need to have super experience. Ask bb "u new?" and if they are, hang out there and teach a skill of some sort.

#7 2019-10-17 21:13:17

Junkmalme

I also suggest an option to "are you new" for "s" (sort of) to mean kind of new, but know some things, instead of "y"/"n"

#8 2019-10-17 21:17:16

Twisted

Junkmalme wrote:

-the tool tips aren't very helpful, honestly. They aren't intuitive enough, and scrolling through makes other players impatient... they just do it and leave me behind.

I don't know when was the last time you used the tooltips, but the hint system was overhauled last week. When filtering an item with /, it shows you a step by step guide on how to make that item, while also pointing out nearby materials with arrows. Iit still can't compare to learning from an actual player, but it's much better than before.

#9 2019-10-17 21:33:09

Junkmalme

Twisted:
First. I'm a big fan. You're the one who turned me on to this game.
Second, I was using tool tips today to try to help out smithing a shovel head. We are slow and literally in the process of learning to do the things. I get that. The smith I was helping yelled at me and told me to stop and go away. I've had this same encounter a number of times because I'm not as fast as they are.
I'm not trying to be a whiney jerk. I'm genuinely asking that more experienced players be a tiny bit patient while we try to do the thing. I'm genuinely asking that if  we ask, and you have time, to tell us or let us look AFK while we look at tips.
Obviously, if things are in dire need, you have to do the thing. But if you can, tell us or let us learn.

Last edited by Junkmalme (2019-10-17 21:35:19)

#10 2019-10-17 21:38:25

wondible

Junkmalme wrote:

It is frustrating that I ask to help or learn a trade, and the people who know are too busy to help or show how to do things.

Intellectually, I aspire to help people out. Doesn't mean I'm good at it. Making the connection is hard. Often only when I'm the mother, I try to ask my kids "Is there anything you want to learn?" Of course we can't have much of a conversation at that point, and the baby can't practice anything. And if I'm female I keep having more kids to deal with. Often we end up missing a piece - bowl, iron to smith, alum for dye, somebody has to go get food, and then we don't find each other for a while. I probably do get impatient sometimes when they don't seem to be following an example, but perhaps it's going through the hints to see for themselves.

I think there was a thread about teaching techniques a while back, but I only play once a week, and those days tend to be interspersed with lots of "no thanks" and crises to be dealt with.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#11 2019-10-17 23:17:55

Junkmalme

wondible wrote:
Junkmalme wrote:

It is frustrating that I ask to help or learn a trade, and the people who know are too busy to help or show how to do things.

Intellectually, I aspire to help people out. Doesn't mean I'm good at it. Making the connection is hard. Often only when I'm the mother, I try to ask my kids "Is there anything you want to learn?" Of course we can't have much of a conversation at that point, and the baby can't practice anything. And if I'm female I keep having more kids to deal with. Often we end up missing a piece - bowl, iron to smith, alum for dye, somebody has to go get food, and then we don't find each other for a while. I probably do get impatient sometimes when they don't seem to be following an example, but perhaps it's going through the hints to see for themselves.

I think there was a thread about teaching techniques a while back, but I only play once a week, and those days tend to be interspersed with lots of "no thanks" and crises to be dealt with.

I can understand the frustration of more advanced players. I really do. I understand bbs who don't try to communicate or try to help in any meaningful way. I also totally understand getting busy and don't have time.
I'm simply giving a plea to more advanced players to try to teach and be patient if they can.
I'm not even advanced, and I try to teach the newbs. But sometimes the job just needs to get done. I'm only asking that you try.

#12 2019-10-17 23:41:52

Booklat1

you've come to the right place, we do at times act jerkish in the forums but mostly we try to help people learn the game

Just stay away from unhealthy yum obsession and you'll be fine

#13 2019-10-17 23:51:35

pein

I try to tell what we need, really rarely they do it. But i met people who think they are special snowflakes and at age 3 they only care about scavenging corpses, getting weapons and anything you ask they answer : "fck you" "do it yourself", quite often they start to annoy you, grief, even kill you later on. Lot of players even set as condition that they quit on you if you don't give clothes right away.
It doesn't really work to tell when making on your own is way faster.
II met newbies who were gathering stuff i only had to assemble it, but those players will be quite good in a short time. The best players i know just learned everything trough one tech, forums and discord, not really ingame.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-10-19 18:07:18

Junkmalme

pein wrote:

I try to tell what we need, really rarely they do it. But i met people who think they are special snowflakes and at age 3 they only care about scavenging corpses, getting weapons and anything you ask they answer : "fck you" "do it yourself", quite often they start to annoy you, grief, even kill you later on. Lot of players even set as condition that they quit on you if you don't give clothes right away.
It doesn't really work to tell when making on your own is way faster.
II met newbies who were gathering stuff i only had to assemble it, but those players will be quite good in a short time. The best players i know just learned everything trough one tech, forums and discord, not really ingame.

Wow. That is some shit and certainly a reason for frustration. I appreciate when towns have a nursery/storage area to help get me on my way, but that would be really awful to just demand it. I will admit I tend to grab knives that are just laying around because it seems to make it too easy to grief (near the kitchen or obvious work areas where it's needed I try to find the one who is most likely to need it and give it to them).

My favorite moms are the ones who give me a job right away or say what they/we need. I know quite a few recipes from YouTube and onetech.

#15 2019-10-19 18:08:40

Junkmalme

This forum has been really useful for learning tips and tricks.

LOL! Yeah. Yum chain is helpful if you're going far from home, but in village it doesn't seem worth the extra mental energy.

Booklat1 wrote:

you've come to the right place, we do at times act jerkish in the forums but mostly we try to help people learn the game

Just stay away from unhealthy yum obsession and you'll be fine

#16 2019-10-19 21:20:17

pein

oh yeah, i don't have it my signature now:

check out my maxi guide https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 here

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2019-10-20 02:11:35

Toxolotl

This is a great discussion. I recently hit the 700 hour mark and i still feel new a lot of the time. Especially when playing with true veterans.

Ive never used the tool tip, ive tried, but its so bad and clunky i find it just wastes time unless im really stuck. Typically i will search one tech if a recipe is truly unknown to me.

How i learned for the most part was through observation. Once i felt more confident in the process i would jump in and aid in whatever was being done. It took a while to understand the framework of what keeps a town going. Once i did i realized how fragile a town really is.

I find this is the main reason i struggle to teach new players. I can either run around maintaining each aspect of a town to keep it stable or watch as essential resources decay while i teach or work on a non essential project. I found the most important thing while i was new was working towards not being a liability to the town.

The main thing i worked towards was getting good at maintaining a personal food surplus. Basically producing more food than i consumed in my lifetime. That way my tinkering or observation wasnt a detriment to the society.

Over time you realize how interwoven each tech tree is. Figuring out which area is wanting and maintaining a surplus for each is a huge step in helping a town grow and stabilize.

So often when older players struggle to teach or have to run off in the middle of teaching its often due to an aspect of the town being in a critical state and there is no time to discuss or explain what's going on. Sometimes these issues are unending and if a town is going to maintain a surplus you often run around endlessly maintaining each facet with no time to talk.

So i find the main issue is there is this choice you have to make, either help new players learn while work piles up, or try to keep up with demand and hope the new player find their way on their own.

There are golden moments though where a town is stable and there is little demand in each area that gives great opportunities to teach new players but this is rare.

Anyway keep working hard and learning. I found the best way to learn was by being a lurking observer until i understood the rhythm of the tech tree. As you learn each one you realize how they fold into each other and notice when there is a surplus or deficit and what needs to be done.

Board footer