One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-22 04:18:08

DestinyCall

Re: Yumming Etiquette - By the Sisterhood of the Yum

Some things are worse than others.   Some choices are bad.    Some are much better.   Some are great.

I can only share what I know to be true.   It is up to you to decide if you will listen or close yourself off from knowledge.   I can't make you believe.   

In time, perhaps you will see what I have seen and walk in the Light of the one true Yum.

#27 2019-09-22 04:19:44

Booklat1

yes, you do hurt us, because you waste resources that people who actually bother to learn the game produce

It doesn't kill the family because this far food has been a very easy survival condition to meet, don't expect this to last to the end of the rift experiment, specially if you go claiming in the forums that its ridiculously easy not to starve (which is most definitely true).

either way, teaching people that inefficiency is efficient will not be allowed here as misinformation is something i'll very gladly expunge.

There's no survival reason that would justify producing and eating corn raw over turning it into milk if your village has a cow. Yum is not a reason , which has been explained a hundred times, because better foods are also better for yum. It's not only a lazy habit but a lazy excuse to say bad foods are ok for yum and that it doesn't matter. Even if survivability is ultimately not affect it's still a poor strategy that should not be encouraged by these dozens of posts of absolute newbies that are charmed by the extra pips of yum and try to convince people to eat crap.

#28 2019-09-22 09:48:56

sigmen4020

Hell, using corn to get an egg is more valuable than eating raw corn.

Personally I’m done complaining about people wasting resources. I see so many people take out manure of the sheep pen without putting it on compost, and people make massive graveyards. I’ve stopped pointing out at this point, since it just makes me waste time on a pointless conversation instead of working. I don’t think eating one raw corn is gonna be the end of the village. Personally the only time I ever eat raw corn is at the end of a yum chain in my personal bases. I never eat that on big-server.

Edit: Oof, I just checked cooked beans on one tech and oh my what an awful food item. Green beans give 4 pips with 6 uses, so that’s 24 pips total. Cooked beans aren’t even half that with the pathetic 7 pips for one use. Considering the amount of effort to make it too you should never eat cooked beans. Turn them into bean burritos (the cooked beans).

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-09-22 09:55:31)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#29 2019-09-22 10:42:38

CatX

sigmen4020 wrote:

Hell, using corn to get an egg is more valuable than eating raw corn.
Edit: Oof, I just checked cooked beans on one tech and oh my what an awful food item. Green beans give 4 pips with 6 uses, so that’s 24 pips total. Cooked beans aren’t even half that with the pathetic 7 pips for one use. Considering the amount of effort to make it too you should never eat cooked beans.

Yes, cooked beans should be better. Perhaps one bowl should have 4 uses.

#30 2019-09-22 11:37:55

DestinyCall

I could do an entire post providing an in-depth comparison between the time and resource costs associated with producing different foods made from beans and corn to illustrate why cooked beans are the new poster child for bad food ... but all that would accomplish is teaching more people that cooked beans are now edible, so they will start filling bowls with them.   People are crazy.

The best use for beans is Three Sisters Stew.    Bean burritos are too costly and too time-consuming to produce, unfortunately.   I still sometimes cook them, just for the fun of smooshing some tortillas ... but it isn't actually a good use of your time.   They are all gone in an instant.   A bowl of green beans is an even bigger waste - too little reward, compared with better crops that will cost the same time and materials to produce (I'm looking at you, popcorn). Cooked beans is completely terrible in every way ...  a single bite that only provides 7 pips (equal to one carrot) but cost a full row of beans to produce -  one water and one soil and one hoe use.    It is worse than raw corn, which at least gives 20 pips (5 pips x 4 ears) per corn row and four unique bites that could be taken by different yummers.  And SIGNIFICANTLY worse than berry-munching, which has no iron cost, produces 35 pips per row (5 pips x 7 berries), and has the potential to be used by up to 7 different people. It can even be used by the same person to get two unique bites by making "berry in bowl" for a quick yum point.   By rights, gooseberry should be reserved as an emergency back-up for when your chain is about to break ... not any of these other options.   It can be the start and end of every chain.

It makes me laugh when someone complains about people over-eating gooseberries in one post, then defends eating raw corn in another.   Berries are pretty far from the best food in the village.   But they also are not the worst, by a long shot.

#31 2019-09-22 12:08:39

testo

I am so eating cooked beans from now on. XD

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#32 2019-09-22 12:24:56

DestinyCall

testo wrote:

Have you considered french fries dipped in ketchup?   

I hear they taste almost exactly like the tears of starving babies.  :-)

Mhmmmmm.

#33 2019-09-22 15:52:28

Anhigen

DestinyCall wrote:

I could do an entire post providing an in-depth comparison between the time and resource costs associated with producing different foods made from beans and corn to illustrate why cooked beans are the new poster child for bad food ... but all that would accomplish is teaching more people that cooked beans are now edible

Too flipping right. +1 for the lol

Look, no one is going to "die" because of anyone else's bad yumming habits (though poor camp nutrition leads to death... so...) And if working on a yum chain makes you happy and enjoy your time in OHOL, by all means, I don't think anyone should discourage that because we're all here to have fun. What I think is wrong, is to promote misinformation--especially after community members have put in so much work trying to dispel what's out there--because you "feel" what you're doing is right.

The wiki is sorely out of date--when it comes to food--and of the useful youtube videos you can watch on OHOL most promote, if even peripherally, the benefits of these mystical large yum chains. Fake news is real. Maintaining the chain "feels" like good gameplay especially at the solo level, which the game has serious problem of promoting despite it's goals of group play. But when we're talking about food efficiency, building viable villages that last longer than 600 years, and sharing actual information about OHOL, yooo, this yum shit has got to go!

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#34 2019-09-22 15:54:04

Lava

I don't give a single fuck, if im forging and im trying to yum to be efficient, im going to eat the corn and the beans so I don't berry munch k?

#35 2019-09-22 16:00:59

Anhigen

Lava wrote:

I don't give a single fuck, im going to eat the corn and the beans

Aaaaawwe Yeeeeeaaaaah

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#36 2019-09-22 17:34:19

DestinyCall

If your goal is to feel morally superior to berry-munchers, you are going about it all wrong.

In theory, a player can drastically reduce their "food footprint" (resource consumption cost) by yum chaining.  But in actual practice, the path you take to a higher yum score makes a huge difference.   Since some foods have much higher production costs and trade-offs, a bad yummer can easily end up costing the village just as much (or more) than a player who chooses to eat nothing but berries their whole life.  In fact, baking berry pies actively costs the village more food than it produces, which is just awful.

By far, the easiest path to a balanced diet in a village with low food variety is simply eating a diet rich in meat pies and milk.    Stick to healthy, high quality foods and allow your chain to break when you run out of tastier options, rather than intentionally making bad yum choices to push the chain a little further.   Eating badly allows wasteful food to silently eat away at limited village resources and lowers your overall food efficiency in a way that is hard to visualize in-game, but very real.   You can hope that the length of your yum chain will eventually make up for a few bad foods, but the more low tier foods you consume in one lifetime, the less likely that will be true.   There is good reason to hesitate before consuming bad yum foods and to always aim to start (and end) your chain on the best available foods. 

There is no shame in switching to meat pies for a while, if you don't have time to focus on your yum game, especially when your village is in immediate trouble and you have more important things to worry about than if anyone has milked the cow recently.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-22 17:52:11)

#37 2019-09-22 17:52:37

Sopbucket

As someone confronting this issue for the first time, I think the keyword might be: deprioritize.  Try to focus on making and consuming the efficient foods first, and leave the rest for an emergency.  I'll admit that carrots, fresh corn, and green beans are a regular part of my early diet in the game right now; I'll try to change that and see how it goes. 

Still, it would be crazy to avoid eating any one of those when the alternative is to break your yum chain, unless it's not all that high in the first place.  I'm sure those of you telling everyone to avoid these foods already know this, but that's what's going through my head as I read the arguments.  It's just so easy to go over and grab a carrot when you can't find anything else close by.
Also, the foods are appealing when you are young because your hunger bar is smaller and many of the higher value foods would be better used on adults.  Is it more efficient to go through a yum cycle or two with bread, berries, and popcorn, than to turn to the other raw foods?

#38 2019-09-22 18:10:47

Anhigen

Sopbucket wrote:

As someone confronting this issue for the first time [...] it would be crazy to avoid eating any one of those [foods] when the alternative is to break your yum chain [...] It's just so easy to go over and grab a carrot when you can't find anything else close by. Also, the foods are appealing when you are young because your hunger bar is smaller and many of the higher value foods would be better used on adults.

This is what misinformation breeds: misinformed players going off their intuition, as derived from the counter-intiutive yum mechanic shown in game. When you make posts saying eating these bad foods are fine, you reaffirm their misinformation (which is why I think the posts are on par with littering) and stop the spread of useful information.

Destiny, this is why we have update the wiki, people are just not reading posts, no matter how many times you share the information, directly and specifically, there will always be new players who think that yumming works one way and are don't see any problem with it. Couple them with players who don't want to change the way they yum, because they find it fun and interesting to chain the way they presently are, and we get this... over... and over... and over...

#39 2019-09-22 18:25:22

CatX

DestinyCall wrote:

If your goal is to feel morally superior to berry-munchers, you are going about it all wrong.

I don't get the feeling that people who eat less efficient foods in order to yum do it in order to feel superior.

I get the feeling they're doing it because they want to be more efficient with the foods that are readily available.

If you're working in the forge, for example, or on some big project, you want to spend little time eating and lots of time working. But time looking for good yum items is time not spent on the project. If there is milk available, for example, surely they are willing to drink the milk over the corn. But if they can't find the cow, while they do find the corn - and they most likely will because the stew farm is easy to spot - it is quicker to eat it and go back to work than it is to search for more efficient food that might not even be there.

In other words - beans and corn are good yum items not because they give more pips, but because they are easier to find. Availability needs to be added to the equation, because time spent hunting down a cow is time not spent on other important work in town.

#40 2019-09-22 18:37:55

DestinyCall

Sopbucket wrote:

As someone confronting this issue for the first time, I think the keyword might be: deprioritize.  Try to focus on making and consuming the efficient foods first, and leave the rest for an emergency.  I'll admit that carrots, fresh corn, and green beans are a regular part of my early diet in the game right now; I'll try to change that and see how it goes.

Yes, exactly.   You've hit on the core of the matter.   IF you have high enough yum chain, THEN using a single bite of low tier food will provide greater benefit than letting the chain break and beginning a new chain with high efficiency foods.   The problem is ... at what point is it better to let go of your yum chain?     How high does the chain need to be to make it "okay" to eat a bad food to keep it going?    And after you eat that bad food ... what comes next ... can you find another good food in time or will the next food you eat to sustain your chain be even worse?   

Many people who get into yum see the power of a really high yum score and they hate to see their chain break.   It becomes a strong psychological barrier.   It feels bad and wrong to "waste" all their efforts by allowing their chain to break when there is any other option available.   These are the players who will eat ANYTHING unique and defy anyone to tell them they are wrong to make that choice.   It feels right.  It tastes yummy.    Glory to the chain!

Unfortunately, even though Yum views all unique foods as equal .... they really aren't.   On the base level, some foods have a huge baseline difference in cost that makes some applications enormously more wasteful (bad foods) and other applications significantly more efficient (good foods).    Good foods are good even without any yum bonus at all.    While bad foods require significant yum chain before it is justified to add them to your diet.   They are really terrible to eat without any yum chain, but they are equally bad to make while yumming, if better options are readily available.   Unfortunately, many of the worst foods in the game tend to be present or easy to make in most villages ... which leads to the temptation to eat poorly and a lot of lazy yumming.

Sopbucket wrote:

Still, it would be crazy to avoid eating any one of those when the alternative is to break your yum chain, unless it's not all that high in the first place.  I'm sure those of you telling everyone to avoid these foods already know this, but that's what's going through my head as I read the arguments.  It's just so easy to go over and grab a carrot when you can't find anything else close by.

Context is very important when making these kinds of decisions - every village is different and the challenges of each life are unique.    And math factors in quite a bit, but I understand that not everyone likes food math as much as I do.     I think it is perfectly reasonable to be aware of bad foods and keep them in reserve for emergency use.   My biggest piece of advice is that you should consider the merits of letting your chain break if you are living in a village with limited food diversity.   If you are eating bad foods for the sake of yum, your intention should be for that single yum chain to last your whole life.    Unfortunately, some villages are simply not equipped to support a life-long yum chain.   It is a good idea to assess the "food landscape" in your village when you are born and decide on a plan of attack - short efficient chains, broken when you run out of good options - or one long chain that lasts a lifetime, supported by a few bad bites (or even better, no bad foods at all).   If you are in a late game town that already has a decent amount of food diversity, you can probably hit a high enough chain to eat some bad foods, here and there.   But if you are in a food wasteland with very little diversity and many more important problems that need to fixed to keep the village functional, consider lowering your yum expectations accordingly.   

As a general rule of thumb, I advise people to actively avoid eating bad foods while their yum chain is running less than x10.    If you run out of options at that point, simply let the chain break and start over eating good foods.     If your yum chain is between x10 and x15 .... then you need to make a judgement call.    If your chain is likely to break on your next bite or two anyways, let it break now.  But if you feel confident that you can keep it going if you just buy yourself a little time, eat what you can to sustain the chain and power through this rough spot.   If your chain is x16 or above, you should still eat good foods when they are available, but you would be covered by a high yum bonus, even if you ate a bad food, so you don't have to stress too much.

Keep in mind, these are just ball-park numbers to help people when making quick decisions - the exact math is more complex and depends on various factors which might sway your choice one way or another in a given circumstance.    Whenever possible, prioritize good foods over bad foods and avoid eating bad foods if you are unable to maintain a long enough chain due to limited food diversity or limited time remaining in your life.    Also, it is always safer to base your decision on your CURRENT yum chain, rather than what you hope to achieve in the future.   You might get eaten by a bear before you reach x15 yum.

Sopbucket wrote:

Also, the foods are appealing when you are young because your hunger bar is smaller and many of the higher value foods would be better used on adults.  Is it more efficient to go through a yum cycle or two with bread, berries, and popcorn, than to turn to the other raw foods?

Short answer ... no, not really.    The most food efficient choice for toddlers and the elderly is actual cow's milk (or even mother's milk, if you can get it).    Meat pies are the next best option.   

Most of the low pip value foods are also relatively low efficiency foods so production cost is higher.   While several of the highest food efficiency foods have a high base pip value but their production cost is significantly lower.    So even if you eat them when you are too young or too old to gain their full potential, you actually waste LESS food and cost fewer resources than following a diet of low pip value foods.     In other words, gaining 5 pips from a pie is BETTER than gaining 5 pips from a berry.   It seems counter-intuitive because you can SEE the wasted pips when you eat the food ... but there are even more potential pips wasted when you invest time and resources into producing less efficient foods ... you just don't get to see that production-level waste as clearly in-game. 

Now ... all that being said ... adults ARE able to gain greater benefit from eating a high-pip value food, so if it is a choice between adults being able to eat pie/milk OR children being able to eat milk/pie, it would be better to leave the higher value foods for adults.  And it definitely makes no sense for adults to eat nothing but berries their whole life.     But if you are worried that you might be wasting good food by eating a meat pie as a toddler or drinking whole milk in your late fifties ... you can relax.    This is really a non-issue.

Lastly, the question of "best yum choices for toddlers" is fairly complex.   I actually can't answer that one for you, because it will largely depend on your chosen yum strategy and the food landscape in your village.    What I will say is that you really can't go wrong by prioritizing best foods first and avoiding bad foods as much as possible.    It is a winning strategy for the majority of situations and will ensure that no matter when or if your chain breaks, you gained the maximum possible benefit.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-22 18:41:56)

#41 2019-09-23 20:28:07

Saolin

CatX wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I don't get the feeling that people who eat less efficient foods in order to yum do it in order to feel superior.

I get the feeling they're doing it because they want to be more efficient with the foods that are readily available.

If you're working in the forge, for example, or on some big project, you want to spend little time eating and lots of time working. But time looking for good yum items is time not spent on the project. If there is milk available, for example, surely they are willing to drink the milk over the corn. But if they can't find the cow, while they do find the corn - and they most likely will because the stew farm is easy to spot - it is quicker to eat it and go back to work than it is to search for more efficient food that might not even be there.

In other words - beans and corn are good yum items not because they give more pips, but because they are easier to find. Availability needs to be added to the equation, because time spent hunting down a cow is time not spent on other important work in town.

This is a good description.

One thing I like about raw corn is that it can be used as a reliable safety net.  Usually I will see it early on but not eat it yet. Then if I am rushing back to town starving I know exactly where to go to eat a yummy food. I find gambling on the kitchen there isn't always time to touch all the pies, if there even is a yummy option there, and too often ends in a reset.

#42 2019-09-23 20:49:09

distillerz

Are baked potatos still giving x2 yum ?
I'm pretty sure i lost my yum bonus, recently by eating it twice.

#43 2019-09-24 06:21:50

sigmen4020

distillerz wrote:

Are baked potatos still giving x2 yum ?
I'm pretty sure i lost my yum bonus, recently by eating it twice.

Baked should still give you 2x yum. Maybe you already ate one these stages, which meant your chain broke.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-09-24 10:17:36)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#44 2019-09-24 10:04:57

testo

DestinyCall wrote:
testo wrote:

Have you considered french fries dipped in ketchup?   

I hear they taste almost exactly like the tears of starving babies.  :-)

Mhmmmmm.

Nah oil is still not common enough.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#45 2019-09-24 10:48:21

pein

Booklat1 wrote:

Like, I don't mean to be rude but "On a sadder note, my heart fills with sorrow(...)".

You can see this is why pein is making fun of you right? No one hates yum, but you're teaching people to yum inefficiently.

I do cause it's a perverted version of my original idea
I failed to mention that should be a top cap, and Jason didn't implement one, so we got a meme mechanic which isn't balanced, it's an unlimited source of selfish idiotism. And once players decide to yum, they got the same stupid idea about it. That it saves time. While they spend resources and time to getting them so basically they live to eat not eat to live. And you get spoonwoods from time to time who affect others to become a spoonwood with twistedfangirl disorder. then we got the meme mechanic as central part of the game, and fertility and hugry work also using it so slowly you need to do it even if you don't want it.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#46 2019-09-24 11:44:14

pein

CatX wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Well the calculation is simple
if you don't work with it, then you don't deserve it.
so you either make up for it, or don't do it.
yummers get very scattered with work cause they try to find new foods and spend too much time with it, and time is a resource.

You should always work on tech, if you don't do it, you are wasteful for society
if you can't do it, because you are new, that's understandable
if you don't do it because your mental limitations, then you are bad for the society, paired up with stubbornness you are not better than griefers

Ideally you need to produce more than you consume
and you need to produce a bit of buffer for others and help some new players too
yumming is a very selfish action usually, wasting others time and resources
it annoys me that they don't work on tech and no amount of food producing will justify the fact that the town needs other things than food and everybody is responsible for collecting it. you need to get kindling, keep the  forges clean, keep the charcoal made, the steel made, the wells upgraded. if you overproduce food and not focus on other aspects, it creates problems over time. And others got to dedicate time for things they don't want to do, but they have to.

So at each tech level your options are different.
And some are bad, not because the fodo is bad, but because the actions you do, do not contribute to advancement.
If i see yummers who are clothed, and I'm a naked baby who has to smith, I'm pissed at them cause they are adults and should do the important things

What is important?
Time: only at start, carrots are faster so you save time to produce carrots instead of berries or other stuff. Later you save time by doing two jobs at once (shepperd and pie maker, compost or bread and hats) but efficiency becomes more important and time isn't an issue that much if you plan on it.
Efficiency: mainly water efficiency, you don't use a lot of water, and you ty to upgrade new wells or help the smith by getting kindling and cleaning up.
So making eggs and stew on eve camp is bullshit jobs which remove kindling and make smith work harder. You should do pottery before eggs and delay stew or any sort of fodo that requires kindling to after tools, or do efficient big batches of food like at least 8-12 carrot pies, rabbit pies or just farm those berries.

Berries and carrots are for compost only, and the only advantage of berries is no tilling, so you need to empty all bushes ASAP and restart the cycle.
Carrots waste a lot of soil, seeds fr them waste a lot of soil, and overproducing them creates a bad habit of eating them raw, also you create jobs for others which aren't fun to do but necessary. If you plant and water it picks it off and don't leave 3-4 seed rows, hide one row and keep some seed near, you dont need 500 carrots, you need 2 rows all the time.
Same with berries, you don't plant more until you pick each bush off and commit to watering and soiling them constantly.

Mutton pies are best cause you need to make compost anyway. Bread is decent as you can make hats or compost.
Goose is bad cause decapitating goose takes a lot of time. Eggs are bad cause they fill too much food bars and require too many plates, and early on is bad if you waste too much kindling on it.

Compost justifies potato, milkweed and tree planting.
Kinda nothing justifies water usage if you can't upgrade in time so you make 4 deep wells, a cistern or get water from ponds every time
You upgrade wells asap to get to higher tech.
Engine wells justify mango.

So you should never hinder advancement by yumming and using up resources from other tasks. Cows are good, but they need 1x1 pen and lot of buckets, so compost, water and  wood. Stew is good after you got an axe.
Fancy foods once you got a cistern and some well sites.

i don't see a point to yum as a male worker. I made engines eating berries or just pies. If you are fast, focused you can eat anything and others should make an effort to sustain you. At the end of the day you need engine well, oil, rubber, so the faster you do it the better and eventually others can take over even if you die. So you shouldn't try keeping everyone alive, but even if you do, you do it by efficiency not variety. All this yummers never had a good eve run and never kept others alive. So increasing population with yum without providing a decent future is dumb.

Yes, i can upgrade a well, make compost and eat only berries, the profit you make on soil, and the time you save on it, justifies berry munching cause the efficiency of the process. It's not the consuming bad value food, it's the work you make doesn't justify the resources used for it.
Meanwhile you make stew and stuff, might be more efficient but doesn't contribute to long term plans.

Variety is good for like popcorn, as it can be made when you got a short time with no other options.

If i make 12 pies and eat 1 of it it's still better than you make 5 types of food and eat all of it.
If every player focuses on tech, it can be done very fast and efficiently.

Yumming sounds more like an excuse to contribute.
The people who never do Eve runs, don't understand how to make a good town. The people who try to keep everyone alive are still behind in progress. It's ok to be selfish a bit, sometimes it's the only way to progress is to ignore everyone and just focus on work. You contribute later to things, or the tools and buildings you made make easier for others to produce food. Variety comes later on the tech tree and you shouldn't rush stuff you don't have resources to. I see that too often and hurts others a lot. Camps with stew and no axe and camps with stone wall but no file.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#47 2019-09-24 11:44:15

CatX

pein wrote:

And once players decide to yum, they got the same stupid idea about it. That it saves time. While they spend resources and time to getting them so basically they live to eat not eat to live.

Although I see your point, and although I am all for educating people about the best foods, if there is only one right way to eat then that means there's an underlying problem with the game itself. Because we play to have fun, and eating different foods, discovering what can be eaten, finding another yum item just in time, preparing for future eating by carrying the next food in your backpack, or learning how to prepare different meals; for some people that is all part of the fun.

#48 2019-09-24 12:23:27

CatX

pein wrote:

if you don't do it because your mental limitations, then you are bad for the society, paired up with stubbornness you are not better than griefers

Well... this one I disagree with. Griefers destroy things because they want to see other people suffer. People who cause the town to fail out of ignorance are just ignorant, pein.

And honestly, if too many people eating corn causes the town to die, this is something we should bring to the attention of the developer. It makes no sense in the vein of the game trying to be somewhat realistic. "You ate the corn I was going to feed the cow! Now we all perish!" You don't hear that in the real world.

pein wrote:

Ideally you need to produce more than you consume
and you need to produce a bit of buffer for others and help some new players too

I agree. Ideally.

pein wrote:

it annoys me that they don't work on tech and no amount of food producing will justify the fact that the town needs other things than food and everybody is responsible for collecting it. you need to get kindling, keep the  forges clean, keep the charcoal made, the steel made, the wells upgraded. if you overproduce food and not focus on other aspects, it creates problems over time. And others got to dedicate time for things they don't want to do, but they have to.

I agree to a degree, but again, I think that what you're pointing at is more of a problem with game mechanics than player behavior.

Of course, it depends on what kind of game each of us see OHOL evolving into. I've played some city builder games in my time, games where I had to be very clever about what to build when and where, or else everything would fall apart. It was fun. But I don't think OHOL should be that kind of game. There should be room for individual decisions, and even a new player who discovered something new they could contribute with should be awarded with the feeling that "I helped this place grow," instead of "everything fell apart."

And sure, this could be different stages so that Eve villages could continue to depend on a very specific build order and behavior, but after that stage I don't think there should be only one way to keep a place alive.

#49 2019-09-24 19:57:05

D3mon1cblack

dont get me started on dont use green beans or eat corn for yum -.-
If you do it right you can chain a ton of foods on a empty stomach!
you can reach well over 100 bonus food if you know how to chain
callin yourself the sisterhood of the yum? yea right you didnt even add the most op combi of foods!
if you manage to have 20 yum and didnt eat anny of the small foods you can chain them like this
shroom, popcorn, greenbeans, berry, berrybowl, corn this alone at 20 yum gives you over 120 bonus food on one eating making it so you dont have to eat for the rest of your life with temp management

im sorry if this sounds a bit ranty but i had to say this -.-

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#50 2019-09-24 22:03:00

Coconut Fruit

I was always against yumming but I wanted to give it a try and play one week with only yumming and I found it fun to yum. But it ended now, again I play as non yummer and I will probably never yum again unless it's actually worth it. Yumming is time and focus consuming, it also consumes space in backpack and it's not really more efficient than eating only efficient foods by non yummers. I kinda feel free again and I have more fun playing without yumming. I will never produce yum foods, If I bake I will make tons of mutton pies and stew and full milk if there is a cow, and nothing else. I feel like I have so much more time and focus on working now with only one muttion pie always in my backpack.

It was worth giving yum a try, it gave me experience. I used to eat yum foods before, now I won't eat anything else except mutton pies, stew and milk, so yummers won't lose their foods by me.

One last word about raw corn. If you make 17 yum chain in your life that means every food gives 8.5
pips more on average. That means raw corn gives 13.5 pips with cost of 1/4 bowl of water and soil.
Yes, it's not very efficient but it's still almost twice as efficient as eating one berry by non yummer and
nobody would cry for one berry. I feel like people like to cry for corn because unlike berries it can
actually be turned into much more efficient food. Don't look at corn as a food but as a cost of
production. But yes, eating corn is bad choice even for yummers. Actually yumming is a bad choice, that's
my experience.

If you've been yumming for a long time I suggest you to give it a try to not yum and eat only mutton pies, stew and milk. You will realize how much more freedom, time, focus and even slots in bp it gives.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer