One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-14 07:43:10

Thatguyuknow

first and last post

Im done with this game. "a multiplayer game about parenting and civilization building" well from what i can tell its not. this game has been over run by trolls/griefers and has turned into a constant war driven murderfest. i bought this game when it released because it gave me dont starve vibes. the challenge of survival and relying on those around you to get things done really peaked my interest. unfortuantly its evolved into something else. people are more concerned with building fences and knives rather than making sure we have enough food for the towns people. the rift has not helped either now i have nowhere to hide OR run. DonkeyTown is exploitable with "twining" and eve manipulation so curing is basically pointless. there is an active thread on the forums about a griefing discord. its become apparent to me that you are complacent and perhaps you are just sitting back and watching this game die through your own inaction, jason.

if you are reading this jason then i suggest you pay more attention to the main discord it is so very obvious who the individuals are that are causing these issues. i hate telling people what to do but you seriously need to find a way to deincentive killings/ make a war server/ ban the trolls "gnomes"/ or something else because i want nothing to do with this game anymore. im just a humble carrot farmer this is not a game is want to pvp in. ill play counterstrike/battlefield/pubg if i want to pvp. i see people talking about war tactics like its actually difficult to kill someone in ohol. just click on them and they die, it is absolutely pathetic if you think thats fun or a challenge. let be real tho these trolls want nothing more than to squelch the fun of others. some kind of sick satisfaction they get out of it and wars are nothing more than the newest form of grieving most are started by people spamming "war" nonstop, there is no real reason for it the majority of the time.

whatever rant over and im out

#2 2019-09-14 08:03:36

Jk Howling

Re: first and last post

Just a note, Donkey Town pretty much doesn't exist anymore lol. He reworked the curse system so curses to effectively area-ban the person cursed from being born as your baby or within a 30 tile radius [+ you cant be born to/near them]. It wears off automatically after 2 days. If a person is cursed enough within 2 days to be unable to be born to/near any fertile females, only then do they go to "donkeytown." Which I highly doubt anyone's been to at this point lmfao but let him do him.

Basically he made curses equate to "go be someone else's problem for 2 days ree." Doesn't really do anything except add to a list of issues with the game though.

Cya fam. Maybe if enough people finally put their foot down, esteemed Jason will listen.

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2019-09-14 09:11:29

Saolin

fwiw I play the game as "a multiplayer game about parenting and civilization building", and I tend towards the top of the ladder.

I think hackers and those whose goal is to destroy the potential of enjoyment for others should be long-term banned to a secondary server as a consequence for the scum they choose to be; becuase PvP in this game requires no skill whatsoever.  For those who prefer to kill, the current combat mechanics favor wannabe psychopaths and idiots who lack the skill to win at any game that requires any for PvP.  Anyone who is playing this game to feel like they can get the better of someone at PvP simply lacks the skill and intelligence to be remotely successful at any actual PvP game, since there is no element of skill in PvP for this one.  The actual element of skill in this game is being able to not only consistently survive yourself, but help your descendants survive as well.  In order to succeed at this your best bet is actually to avoid the PvP as much as possible.

#4 2019-09-14 12:39:42

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Yeah I feel the same way. I loved this game so much before it became nothing but another raiding game. It was so wholesome and cute. I'd raise my kids and help push my family further into the tech tree and try to make them the best town possible. It was just cute.

Now I get born to a town cramped in fences, everyone is paranoid and talking about a raids and war. You get stabbed for just having a different last name. You make things for the benefit of your family and it gets hidden behind trees. You have to always be watching people to make sure they're not trying to take things. You can't trust your own family when they say they need help outside of town, you'll just be stabbed and won't be able to tell anyone. It really breaks my heart to see the state this game is in.

What's worse is that new players coming in are thinking this is normal. They think raiding and killing is what the game is about and the tech tree and survival of your family doesn't matter. It's so frustrating because in the end they're all going to win. Good players like you and me are leaving everyday and the griefers and the raiders stay. Watching a game I loved so much and put hundreds of hours into die slowly like this is breaking my heart.

And you're so right about the Discord. It's full of griefer bragging people who come to "flex" their awesome skills of shift clicking unarmed people. It's pathetic and I wish the mods could do something about it.

I still have a small sliver of hope it's going to get better. I really hope Jason will see what's going on and can deal with it. A handful of people are ruining this game for everyone else and he's going to wish he'd done something someday.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#5 2019-09-14 12:58:36

Dodge

It's a transition period, the war mechanic was added relatively recently so obviously it's what gets the most attention atm, then something else will be added and it will be all about that until next thing etc.

Honestly if you dont like how the game is currently just take a break and come back when it's changed and some new mechanic is added.

There's still a lot of fixing, tweaking and adding ahead so the game is going to change multiple times again, sometimes you will like it sometimes you wont it's just the way it is.

#6 2019-09-14 13:04:56

Guppy

All the lives in the rift recently have been without war, and also with plenty of food. Maybe i just got lucky?
I mean it WAS hell with the warsword eve and all, but alot has been fixed

#7 2019-09-14 13:26:32

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I have been taking a break. I played ONE life this week on bigserver2 and this is what happened

smelly

Shoutout to @Zivisziv#8115 for being the most pro gamer ever

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2019-09-14 14:53:35

fug

Jk Howling wrote:

Just a note, Donkey Town pretty much doesn't exist anymore lol. He reworked the curse system so curses to effectively area-ban the person cursed from being born as your baby or within a 30 tile radius [+ you cant be born to/near them]. It wears off automatically after 2 days. If a person is cursed enough within 2 days to be unable to be born to/near any fertile females, only then do they go to "donkeytown." Which I highly doubt anyone's been to at this point lmfao but let him do him.

Basically he made curses equate to "go be someone else's problem for 2 days ree." Doesn't really do anything except add to a list of issues with the game though.

Cya fam. Maybe if enough people finally put their foot down, esteemed Jason will listen.

This is only partially right as he made it where donkey eves spawn in the Hell Cell now. He ended up adding a sanity check last patch which makes sure all Eves spawn in the box (unless you're a tutorial Eve.) This means if you're down to two families in the rift and get cursed out of both you spawn inside the box AND end up as an Eve which is why one of the recent arcs ended.

This means as long as you have lives you're able to repeatedly attack towns the same way feral eves could around the time of the come together update with zero consequences. You can also spam yourself in with twins/trips/quads to produce up to four feral eves just set to attack villages because the donkey player will force everyone to be an Eve while the sanity check will force them into the box.

Another little case of "Oops, forgot to test."

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2019-09-14 15:36:55

DestinyCall

fug wrote:
Jk Howling wrote:

This is only partially right as he made it where donkey eves spawn in the Hell Cell now. He ended up adding a sanity check last patch which makes sure all Eves spawn in the box (unless you're a tutorial Eve.) This means if you're down to two families in the rift and get cursed out of both you spawn inside the box AND end up as an Eve which is why one of the recent arcs ended.

This means as long as you have lives you're able to repeatedly attack towns the same way feral eves could around the time of the come together update with zero consequences. You can also spam yourself in with twins/trips/quads to produce up to four feral eves just set to attack villages because the donkey player will force everyone to be an Eve while the sanity check will force them into the box.

Has anyone reported this somewhere that Jason will actually read it?    That's a pretty bad "oops".

#10 2019-09-14 16:51:25

Anhigen

Dodge wrote:

It's a transition period, the war mechanic was added relatively recently so obviously it's what gets the most attention atm, then something else will be added and it will be all about that until next thing etc.

Honestly if you dont like how the game is currently just take a break and come back when it's changed and some new mechanic is added.

There's still a lot of fixing, tweaking and adding ahead so the game is going to change multiple times again, sometimes you will like it sometimes you wont it's just the way it is.

THIS.

Fences are new and they're not perfect. For what game play they add, they're pretty... "uneven." Maintaining a fence line didn't quite slide into our task cycles, like you could expect, and managing the gate is a chore. Like the gate is really such a bad object to click on and it doesn't give you the feeling like you "own" something. Permission, sure, but not like the ownership you'd feel if you could just walk through the gate with impunity. For what fun it is having a bear be let into the village, the other 90% is irritating. But this will all change. We're just playing with the live elements of the game, different updated objects are offline--being built and tested--and since the elements we have now don't break the game they can stay put as work hours are spent elsewhere.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#11 2019-09-14 16:58:08

Coconut Fruit

Jason removed grieffing penalities and this is what happened. Current penality is no penality at all.

Thatguyuknow wrote:

Im done with this game.

Don't be done with it. I'm pretty sure penalities will be back soon and grieffing will stop or lower to unnoticable amount. Just take a break.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-09-14 17:00:56)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#12 2019-09-14 18:06:52

Jk Howling

fug wrote:
Jk Howling wrote:

Lol. Not touching this game with a 10 foot pole then. Thanks for the heads up.

-Has ascended to better games-

#13 2019-09-14 22:30:26

kubassa
Banned

Thatguyuknow wrote:

Im done with this game.
whatever rant over and im out

Bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I got huge ballz.

#14 2019-09-14 23:29:59

BladeWoods

I've been playing and griefing is pretty low right now.

#15 2019-09-15 00:57:55

Lava

BladeWoods wrote:

I've been playing and griefing is pretty low right now.

Its not... lmao your just not on the right times.. or your very unaware.

#16 2019-09-15 01:14:10

DestinyCall

I would also say that griefing is NOT better.    Or maybe I just happen to play at the same time as all the active griefers.

#17 2019-09-15 05:15:15

testo

Griefing is a joke right now. Unfortunately Jason´s experiments managed to get a bunch of 12 yo around, and they won´t leave now. Have fun in this shitfest!

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#18 2019-09-15 08:51:27

Mr meeseeks

Bye Felicia

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#19 2019-09-15 08:52:28

Mr meeseeks

Just kidding. Come back. We love you.

#20 2019-09-15 08:53:30

Mr meeseeks

Just kidding again.

#21 2019-09-15 08:57:49

Mr meeseeks

Griefing is fun. For griefere, and non- griefers alike.. But, I agree, the current curse system is broken. I'm usually a very helpful player... But now, when I do, I can grief without fear of consequence...

#22 2019-09-15 14:27:56

Ilka

Mr meeseeks wrote:

Griefing is fun. For griefere, and non- griefers alike.. But, I agree, the current curse system is broken. I'm usually a very helpful player... But now, when I do, I can grief without fear of consequence...

Facepalm

Soon you will play with yourself, because normal players will leave.

#23 2019-09-15 14:33:18

sigmen4020

Mr meeseeks wrote:

Who in the world thinks that being griefed is fun? They must extremely masochistic.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#24 2019-09-15 15:02:45

Mr meeseeks

Ilka wrote:
Mr meeseeks wrote:

Facepalm

Soon you will play with yourself, because normal players will leave.

By "normal" do you mean boring?

I rarely grief..

As long as we have balance, a little drama makes things interesting.

#25 2019-09-15 17:11:02

DestinyCall

Griefing isn't about balance.  It is about exploiting an unfair advantage.

You might find building a peaceful village boring and random murder interesting, but many players would rather not deal with that kind of "drama" every time they play in a decent sized town.

The novelty wears off quickly.

Griefing does not add "spice" or variety to OHOL.  It limits growth and destroys gameplay options.   The game is objectively worse for allowing this kind of behavior to become so widespread and chronic that it could be viewed as "normal".

Board footer