You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-05 02:28:39

Lava

Discord - The breeding grounds Of Griefing

1.) Steals Engine when obviously knowing their intention for iron mine
2) Traps an entire town (Vea) waiting for them to starve
3.) Steals the majority of horses in the rift'
4.) Kills all Sheep in (Love) town
5.) Lures three bears into (Love) town while simultaneously taking all the arrows and iron from the town.

Guess what they were using? OHOL Discord General VC. In any other community, these fools would be ousted but in this game, we somehow accept them into our community with open arms and act like nothing happened.

Last edited by Lava (2019-08-05 02:57:45)

#2 2019-08-05 03:40:34

Thaulos

Re: Discord - The breeding grounds Of Griefing

Have you tried using fences?

#3 2019-08-05 04:30:52

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

It's a specific group doing it. What they do is they get born to a town, get the gate permissions, and then let their Eve friend in to slaughter everyone.

This happens over and over and over. Even if you kill then, they just return in a pack.

They do nothing but sit in the Official Discord general chat and grief the game all day.

Their Discord ID's are Chomp (@chomp231#5155), Zivisziv (@Zivisziv#8115), @Shaivi Baine (@Shaivi Baine#1895), @JACK HAMILTON (@JACK HAMILTON#4255), Dark (@DarkDrak#5301), and some more but they're not 100% confirmed.

Honestly, they need to be banned from both the discord and the game. They add nothing to the community and are just general garbage people.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2019-08-05 04:51:59

Dodge

So they are using Eve's to slaughter people right?

They probably /DIE until they spawn as Eve that's the issue you shouldn't be able to choose to be Eve.

#5 2019-08-05 05:17:37

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I think accounts with high murder rates in the past month should be banned from being an Eve.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#6 2019-08-05 05:36:44

Dodge

Issues currently are :

1) They can just die and start a new life, but if you make lives too limited it affects regular players too, who will get killed, die for multiple reasons or even get killed by them, so you cant use life limit to prevent griefing.

2) You cant punish murder with for example a murder counter that makes you go to donkey town automatically, because if someone raids a town for a good reason, to get iron to save his village for example then he gets punished, which means you punish regular players for doing something that they could be doing in one of their lives.

3) Curses would be the solution but if you allow cursing between different families then nobody will steal, raid for ressources etc. which are part of the game, so it's not an option.

One of the best solution imo is to have an easily accessible mechanic, where a group of people (only works with a group) could stun someone by punching them for example, then drag them in a jail and handcuff them so they cant move, being handcuffed would reduce food rate by a lot (since you dont move and dont do labor intensive tasks), so you would only force feed them once in a while.

In this game being in a prison is worse than dying, since if you die you start a new life, but if you're handcuffed in a prison you cant move and cant die and start a new life while they are force feeding you, so you basically make it so they cant play the game and cant grief.

Problem is if you can do it then they can do it too and this would be a major issue if regular players get griefed this way since it's a harsh treatment

but there is many ways this could be prevented:

1) Making it impossible for twins,trips,quads to stun the same person.

2) Only members of the same family could stun one person

3) Cant use /DIE or regular death to switch between families (or limit it some way)

With this in place they would need to be born in the same family and be at least a group of 3-4 maybe more, which would be impossible (unless very lucky) since they couldn't choose the family they are born in.

They couldn't use that as a way to grief and it could only be usable by regular players.

#7 2019-08-05 05:43:25

pein

the most annoying ones today:

i come in to town and fix the pen, the fence (shaft adze) was digged out
possibly lily (no fam name, gingers) gotta track for tomorrow
she shots me
the others knew quite well it wasn't me, and im pretty sure it was her cause she seen im making a fire
if i wanted to kill her i could of

later it was my mom, who was naming me some dumb name lilbitch, the pen was diged out again
i don't it was her but she was quite an asshole. i got her set of clothing to that town, when i got a few furs, stacked it up, asked for her needle, she unstack, makes a fur diaper and a shawl, that's the dumbest thing in the world, shawl
and if you didn't get that fur, don't tell me what to do from it, i shot her
gotta check her id as well

later that same town a guy in a black family dig out the fence, same fence on opposite side, then ran away when i see him
then denies i nfront of others
later horseman guy confirmed it was him, basically just lets all sheep out trough the fence then other griefing like hiding the top part of the distiller, destroy kilns and oven, cut the planted trees

i was i nthe locked town too, there Janea stabs me cause she is dumb, i teleported out a pencil to get out, the lady outside brought a paper
she stabs me cause doesn't understand she cant put back paper on wall or dunno what she thinks, fuck this experts, happy she was stabbed
disgraceful shit, i made a fire, charcoal, got firewood, and she stabs me without notice

the only thing i really miss, the ability to dodge, so all this lowkey dumb griefers cant flex anymroe when they meet me, back in the day i was dodging their shots and push their arrow to their butthole, that kept them a bit more modest

once as a guy, i was stabbed by a horseman idiot, which makes no sense, i was going back to the town to help out, had no weapon , was a male
even that didn't annoy me that much , that people go back several hours to same place to ruin it over and over

i had a plan to get oil to a town, they overpopulate, let all food get used up then they kill each other for dumb reasons

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-08-05 05:55:12

Dodge

pein wrote:

the only thing i really miss, the ability to dodge, so all this lowkey dumb griefers cant flex anymroe when they meet me, back in the day i was dodging their shots and push their arrow to their butthole, that kept them a bit more modest

Hide a bow and arrow behind a tree (or bearcave/wall/other if they use the tree mod), if they target you, you get the bow and arrow and shoot them from a distance.

Or you go in a jungle, dodge the mosquitoes and watch them die from yellow fever big_smile

#9 2019-08-05 06:21:37

testo

I just wonder what´s the big deal about breaking someone else´s game. I mean boredom may be a cause, I don´t really get it. The worst part is: griefers are endorsed by Jason. This game is not about parenting and civilization anymore. It turned into some sort of weird crafting game with PvP in it´s core but without proper PvP rules. This is a design problem, you can´t just have Rust as a father and Minecraft as a mother without serious genetic problems.

I would have loved to know before hand that part of the game was going to be fighting other families and dealing with people that don´t want to cooperate. They have the upper hand, who would have guessed anonymity turns us into full retards?

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#10 2019-08-05 06:24:18

pein

they even run faster with a bow, and it's ranged
i didn't udnerstood what the guy told to me
i offered my knife to him
they seen i had babies, and work in between, they had to be dumb to think i griefed them
and then comes this other girl as a hero to shoot me
they don't think or warn or follow you they just kill for no reason
or o rui nthe town while others arent watching

now i was prepared next time that i gonna kill every female if i find any
only was a guy
that town always has only guys fixing shit and then noob eves and lazy kids ruin carrot, compost circle and then people steal buckets, carts, horses, and leave the town in mess

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-08-05 08:52:50

PXshadow

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

It's a specific group doing it. What they do is they get born to a town, get the gate permissions, and then let their Eve friend in to slaughter everyone.

This happens over and over and over. Even if you kill then, they just return in a pack.

They do nothing but sit in the Official Discord general chat and grief the game all day.

Their Discord ID's are Chomp (@chomp231#5155), Zivisziv (@Zivisziv#8115), @Shaivi Baine (@Shaivi Baine#1895), @JACK HAMILTON (@JACK HAMILTON#4255), Dark (@DarkDrak#5301), and some more but they're not 100% confirmed.

Honestly, they need to be banned from both the discord and the game. They add nothing to the community and are just general garbage people.

I know the first 3 people you mentioned, and I find them quite favorable to play with and talk to. I think it's a mistake to hold to such strong views, when maybe a more expanded view would not get to a conclusion such as banning these players.

The first time I joined the discord voice chat I was extremely nervous. Shaivi (one of the people you mentioned) and Gaea were very welcoming, they showed me around server #13. And told me all of the amazing secrets that they had discovered. They were open and very receptive to all of my questions I had for the few hours I played with them that day. And when I spot Shaivi in voice now and join in, I'm always impressed by the sheer technical scope of the idea and the charismatic pitch for it, and his laughter from the game is absolutely contagious.

Chomp is a great person to have for gaming, he gives incredible status updates and is extremely engaged in the experience, regardless whether the idea put forth are crazy good or bad ideas.
He is a true innovator in the game, similar to whatever, and to disregard him because of that is a mistake.

Ziv is a young competitive player, he tries to excel as much as possible during game, and pushes for coordinated team play. He pushes game theory outside of the standard one hour one life morality and for that I think he gets the most flak.

Anyways if you view these people as garbage people, I think you should add me to the list as well. I would be honored to be in a list with them, as with any of the other innovators of this game that push the limits of what is conventionally possible for the sheer joy and experience those are the winners in my book regardless of what others say.

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#12 2019-08-05 09:40:33

Dodge

PXshadow wrote:
DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I know the first 3 people you mentioned, and I find them quite favorable to play with and talk to. I think it's a mistake to hold to such strong views, when maybe a more expanded view would not get to a conclusion such as banning these players.

The first time I joined the discord voice chat I was extremely nervous. Shaivi (one of the people you mentioned) and Gaea were very welcoming, they showed me around server #13. And told me all of the amazing secrets that they had discovered. They were open and very receptive to all of my questions I had for the few hours I played with them that day. And when I spot Shaivi in voice now and join in, I'm always impressed by the sheer technical scope of the idea and the charismatic pitch for it, and his laughter from the game is absolutely contagious.

Chomp is a great person to have for gaming, he gives incredible status updates and is extremely engaged in the experience, regardless whether the idea put forth are crazy good or bad ideas.
He is a true innovator in the game, similar to whatever, and to disregard him because of that is a mistake.

Ziv is a young competitive player, he tries to excel as much as possible during game, and pushes for coordinated team play. He pushes game theory outside of the standard one hour one life morality and for that I think he gets the most flak.

Anyways if you view these people as garbage people, I think you should add me to the list as well. I would be honored to be in a list with them, as with any of the other innovators of this game that push the limits of what is conventionally possible for the sheer joy and experience those are the winners in my book regardless of what others say.

You're mistaking charisma and morality.

You can be charismatic and be morally degenerate.

If you found a way to make a lot of money (or fame or wathever) IRL but it would mean a lot of other people would suffer and be miserable would you do it?

I'm not saying it's the case for this group of people

At the end of the day it's just a game, i personnally find it challenging to think about ways to solve this sorts of issues.

There is an unbalance currently between what the griefers can do and what the regular players can do to prevent it, which is what is causing most of the frustration from regular players.

If it would be balanced between the griefers trying to do something "bad" and the regular players trying to stop them then it would be fair, but it currently isn't.

P.S If they didn't used out of game ways to coordinate like discord they couldn't do half the shit they do currently, they are not that good smile

#13 2019-08-05 10:08:25

RedComb

testo wrote:

who would have guessed anonymity turns us into full retards?

Yeah, I mean, it's not like this is predictable or the same kind of problem well-respected game devs with decades of experience have been dealing with since before the birth of MMO's, even going so far to explicitly give advice about this kind of thing from the lessons they learned from practical experience working on various games and hosting various online communities.

Raph Koster (one of the foremost designers in the industry, having authored books about game development and given numerous talks about it at various conferences) has called out anonymity and failing to give players a persistent identity as a serious design flaw in any game.

He learned such lessons first hand during his duties working on LegendMUD (in the mid-90's) and later working as lead developer on Ultima Online (mid-late 90's) and SWG (early 2000's).

He even talks about how problematic total anonymity and a lack of persistent identity is during a presentation about best practices in moderating and creating AR and VR spaces during a talk at GDC 2017: Still Logged In: What AR and VR Can Learn from MMOs

I even wrote about this problem in OHOL three months ago, and I imagine others have complained about the issue long before I did. Here is the main crux of what I posted:

RedComb wrote:

This is the problem with this whole concept of war swords and changing the curse system.

It is already incredibly easy to grief and cause strife between two otherwise peaceful families because your life in this game is so brief, you are likely to be born to various locations, and there is inherent anonymity when playing.

Since there is no persistent identity tag from one life to the next, players will never know if you are baddy or not.

Griefers, or those who just like to stir up shit, can game the system, can grow up in one town, discover another settlement within travel distance, /die until they spawn at the other settlement, go to the first town and start killing people. Start a war for no reason between the two, no repercussions, nobody will know who they were, just frustration and chaos for the people who were trying to accomplish stuff in both towns. AWESOME~! /s

To me, that is one of the glaring problems with this game (if the curse system is nerfed and there is no "report" or "mute" features).

Players can be bad apples and you can never learn to be on the lookout for them because in their next life, they will be somebody totally different (unless they are an Eve and always name themselves with a particular surname and name children a particular way, and even then, that is them voluntarily making it obvious who they are).

Griefers and bad actors can just hide behind the RNG and anonymity and wreck all the progress of others in the name of their fun, all because of the game's mechanics.

There is no persistent identity tag, there is no way to flag people or report shit that crosses the line. I understand there is not really the infrastructure for that, but if you're going to create a virtual sandbox, you have a responsibility to address issues like this.

This is a serious problem, like when I saw people spouting N words and racist crap right after the change to genetic diversity in offspring. I was dismayed that there is nothing that can be done about reporting them even though I probably wouldn't have in the first place.

I'm normally very pro-free speech, even tolerating disgusting and racist speech as long as it doesn't take away the rights and agency of another person, but when there is absolutely no recourse for players to report problems, it creates a huge issue with harassment and griefing in this game.

You can't even mute people, which is merely a bandaid for really bad issues, and not only is there no purposeful answer to this question, things like nerfing the curse mechanic and empowering griefers with war swords just seems to add powder to the keg.

@ Jason Rohrer -- please see the segment starting at 6:45 of the following 2017 GDC presentation by Raph Koster discussing responses to harassment in virtual realms titled Still Logged In: What AR and VR Can Learn from MMOs

Raph Koster wrote:

If you host an online community, you are on the hook.
If you don't have the wherewithal to be on the hook,
don't host an online community.

Also, at 12:53 he discusses the harm a single player can inflict upon retention, potentially driving away THOUSANDS of players:

The worst offenders can chase away actual thousands.

And then at 13:19 he explicitly talks about the the importance of a persistent identity system, and how problem players can and will use anonymity to get away with their bad behavior with impunity if you allow them to.

If your social VR or AR system does not have a persistent account system with persistent identity that players invest into, you're effectively making every player get away scott free because all they need to create a brand new account every single time they log in.

^With OHOL, they don't even need to go to the trouble of creating new accounts, the anonymity and ability to come back completely unknown is baked right into the game's spawning system.

Granted, this talk is geared toward moderating social VR and AR communities, but it is taking lessons from MMOs (which I think share a lot of commonality with OHOL, at least sandbox MMOs).

Last edited by RedComb (2019-08-05 12:38:57)

#14 2019-08-05 10:15:50

PXshadow

Dodge wrote:

If you found a way to make a lot of money (or fame or wathever) IRL but it would mean a lot of other people would suffer and be miserable would you do it?

Yes without hesitation as long as the suffering was not from direct action such as stealing, initiating violence, or trespassing. Outside of that realm comes envy, emotional offence, hurt feelings and other indirect suffering that from a social standpoint I try to avoid, but would be more than willing if the benefit was worth the mutual relationship cost.

Examples would be, telling offensive jokes as a job. Being a movie star and occurring serious suffering from others via envy.

The morality and charisma I'm not mixing up I believe. I have no doubt that the people on this list, have performed indefensible crimes against humanity if this game was the real world.
But as far as I'm aware this game is not real life, as such as the game continues to progress these players are a huge asset to test and push the meta gaming (unconventional tactics)

Dodge wrote:

If it would be balanced between the griefers trying to do something "bad" and the regular players trying to stop them then it would be fair, but it currently isn't.

As I said in the discord, the balance is between coordinated players and uncoordinated, the griefer label does nothing to add validity to this assessment.

Finally the PS seems unnecessarily hostile, and I don't know why coordination should be viewed as a negative, anyways best regards.

Last edited by PXshadow (2019-08-05 10:24:49)

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#15 2019-08-05 10:42:21

Amon

People play games as a form of escapism.
They play games to have fun. Those who ruin fun of others are intentionaly going out of their way to cause grief to other players when all they want is to just have a simple playthrough in a game. If it happens on a daily basis life and life and life, /now you're just a big A**** as a griefer no matter how 'nice' you seem on the surface./
Charisma is truly a hard nut to crack, I always keep my friends on a tight leash precisely due the fact that they may or may not act like utter morons towards other people for purely moronic reasons And when they act like the latter, it's game over between us.

Last edited by Amon (2019-08-05 10:43:08)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#16 2019-08-05 11:01:12

Dodge

PXshadow wrote:

Yes without hesitation as long as the suffering was not from direct action such as stealing, initiating violence, or trespassing.

So you would be the CEO of a slavery company right?

It's not direct actions you're "just" the CEO but your company enslaves people.

Yikes, nice try at being edgy though

PXshadow wrote:

as such as the game continues to progress these players are a huge asset to test and push the meta gaming (unconventional tactics)

I agree on this

PXshadow wrote:

As I said in the discord, the balance is between coordinated players and uncoordinated, the griefer label does nothing to add validity to this assessment.

So your point is?

The fact is they are causing frustration to regular players if it was balanced and fair, there would be no issue, if they would be coordinate non griefer players it would be much less of an issue.

PXshadow wrote:

Finally the PS seems unnecessarily hostile, and I don't know why coordination should be viewed as a negative, anyways best regards.

It's negative since it's not fairplay towards regular players + they are doing "bad" actions.

P.P.S It they didn't use mods to zoom out, see behind trees etc, they would be even more trash lol

#17 2019-08-05 11:45:39

PeaGirl

You would imagine you would make some extreme meta gaming by yourself with a mass of players who don't have as much of experience of the game than some of us... but it's quite a struggle
I guess only thing you can do is continue to play and try to teach new things. It's not hard... it's just, people are sometimes just damn clueless... it happens to me sometimes too, and I need to hit and miss on jobs that might be doable or not.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#18 2019-08-05 12:08:48

DarkDrak

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

What they do is they get born to a town, get the gate permissions, and then let their Eve friend in to slaughter everyone.

Interesting. First time hearing about this one.

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

It's a specific group doing it. Their Discord ID's are Chomp (@chomp231#5155), Zivisziv (@Zivisziv#8115), @Shaivi Baine (@Shaivi Baine#1895), @JACK HAMILTON (@JACK HAMILTON#4255), Dark (@DarkDrak#5301), and some more but they're not 100% confirmed.

Awesome. Took a break for a couple of days. Then played another couple of days leading normal lives, not even active in discord. And now im a 100% confirmed greifer, doing stuff i never heard about. Wow, how does this work? Psychic powers? Deduction skills in a complete different league of what i can grasp? Please, do enlighten me.

Not gonna deny that i greifed after the Arc upgrade. Not gonna deny that i like playing with these people. Will deny my involment in this one. Will deny any greifing accusations before the Arc upgrade (exept the apoc ones).

That aside, i believe you don't realize how chilling it can be to make a private town with people from discord. A town without berrymunchers, without drama, without idiots stabbing you out of nowhere or taking the stuff you need from under your nose. A place here everyone knows who you are and you know who's everyone else.

Nor how interesting it can be to make other projects with a coordinated group of people. You should give it a try.

P.S.

Dodge wrote:

P.S If they didn't used out of game ways to coordinate like discord they couldn't do half the shit they do currently, they are not that good smile

So true. If you used out of game ways to coordinate, you could do twice the shit that you can currently do aswell. smile

Dodge wrote:

P.P.S It they didn't use mods to zoom out, see behind trees etc, they would be even more trash lol

So So true. Personally, before i got the zoom out mod, an eve Tarr XXVII could slaugher all the town around me and i wouldnt even notice, or i would lose her trying to chase her 'cause it feels like being blind. And it took forever to find rollers and carts hidden behind trees by kids. I know you can relate, fellow trash lol

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#19 2019-08-05 13:01:33

Grim_Arbiter

Play the game how you want to play it.

I really only have a problem with people exploiting a bug and not reporting it.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#20 2019-08-05 14:09:55

Lava

Just because your charismatic doesn't give you the right to ruin everyone's gaming experience. These guys were obviously fucking with the game and I don't care how 'friendly" they were to you. If you're ruining the game these guys should be kicked or at least not in the game's discord. Like, come on!! Dark, They were doing more than just creating a "private" town. They were stealing others horses, other iron, other oil all fro the sake of fucking with the towns. Yes, we all know you're a griefer and yet your allowed space to talk about it in the game's discord.

#21 2019-08-05 14:26:02

ollj

discord chat is full of whiny hypocrites.

#22 2019-08-05 14:37:09

Grim_Arbiter

ollj wrote:

discord chat is full of whiny hypocrites.

And juicy memes..

Ye pepple and biggie cheese make it all worth it..

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#23 2019-08-05 14:44:11

Dodge

DarkDrak wrote:

So So true. Personally, before i got the zoom out mod, an eve Tarr XXVII could slaugher all the town around me and i wouldnt even notice, or i would lose her trying to chase her 'cause it feels like being blind. And it took forever to find rollers and carts hidden behind trees by kids. I know you can relate, fellow trash lol

I cant relate actually i dont use zoom or any other mod, idc if someone does it though, you play however you want.

All i'm saying is without these mods and metagaming with discord they would be harmless little lambs so dont glorify them too much smile

#24 2019-08-05 15:08:24

Angel Carrillo

I've played with both Shaivi Baine, and Zivisziv, and may have played with Chomp too. However, when they said they wanted to kill some people, I started asking why. If they did kill people, I didn't participate in it.

#25 2019-08-05 15:14:09

Gitgood

Lava wrote:

1.) Steals Engine when obviously knowing their intention for iron mine
2) Traps an entire town (Vea) waiting for them to starve
3.) Steals the majority of horses in the rift'
4.) Kills all Sheep in (Love) town
5.) Lures three bears into (Love) town while simultaneously taking all the arrows and iron from the town.

Guess what they were using? OHOL Discord General VC. In any other community, these fools would be ousted but in this game, we somehow accept them into our community with open arms and act like nothing happened.

1) that was just some random dude that mentioned in voice that he  hid their engines
2) slinky gave only one kid perms to town so I’d say y’all were asking for that, and one gate ridiculous. It was completely coincidental, no one set out to do it.
3)those horses come from ppl coming to attack us and are found in wilderness, in fact on way back one time I found 2 horse carts and 4 wild horses in random desert.
4) not us, literally takes one guy to do that
5) not us, literally takes one guy to do that.

If we listing names I got a couple:
Slinky- stole some guys plane, which is why he steals engines; killed off a town after having buddy ask for perms for gate
Yikes- accomplice

Get proof before y’all go off accusing, most stuff listed was literally one guy.
Countermeasures:
1) watch engine, put in fence area, locked room
2) 2 gates, give multiple ppl permission
3) fence up horses,blearn how to tame wild ones
4) check on sheep occasionally
5)kill bears in area every 8 hours

If you still mad read my username

Board footer