One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-23 18:21:48

HopeOnARope

Disability representation in OHOL

I was wondering if there was any plan to create wheelchairs, crutches, etc. our sprites can interact with in the game?

Also, are there going to be any sprites with disabilities created? Is there anyone else interested in this? Thoughts?

#2 2019-06-23 18:24:27

Guppy

Re: Disability representation in OHOL

I know this sounds messed up if transfered to real life, but why would anyone live out a life being disabled in OHOL?

#3 2019-06-23 19:11:02

futurebird

Well if you needed a wheel chair and someone could make one for you and then you could keep doing stuff that'd be neat.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-06-23 19:22:55

Tarr
Banned

Why would you ever play the game if born with a disability if it wasn't cosmetic? Especially when you can just kill yourself and move onto the next one with relative ease.

Why would you ever take care of a disabled baby in game when you can just tell it to /die and get a working baby? While it might sound harsh there's no reason to play as a handicapped baby unless for roleplay reasons and Jason doesn't like roleplay.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-06-23 19:36:43

Grim_Arbiter

Tarr wrote:

Why would you ever play the game if born with a disability if it wasn't cosmetic? Especially when you can just kill yourself and move onto the next one with relative ease.

Why would you ever take care of a disabled baby in game when you can just tell it to /die and get a working baby? While it might sound harsh there's no reason to play as a handicapped baby unless for roleplay reasons and Jason doesn't like roleplay.

Yeah agreed on birth not needing it. Maybe one day we'll get some kind of healing disfigurement.

Tarr you know as well as I do that a snakebite is basically a death sentence. Instead of antivenom you could just hack off your leg and hop around tongue

Edit*

I forgot the snake bites you in the stomach.. welp it was more of a concept haha

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-06-23 19:38:18)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-06-23 21:05:58

MultiLife

I think it would be interesting to spawn in with a disability, disfigurement or plain ugliness. Just to see how people would treat me. Would everyone team up to get the paralyzed last girl a wheelchair?
I'd prefer it'd be just visual, unless it was an amputation or such. If it made me less efficient at everything it wouldn't be that much fun. Making a wooden peg leg would be fun. At this point I'd just appreciate any visual differences between townspeople though...

What I wouldn't want: colorblindness, bad eyesight, blind, deaf, mute, paralysis, hemophilia, schizophrenia, etc. While fun as a challenge and change of pace, I wouldn't think I'd enjoy such limitations unless they gave a positive perk to balance it out. Would suck to not be able to move as you'd like to or be able to do jobs that need doing - and you know you could do it but not in the current body.

Broken bones and casts don't sound fun either... hmm But scars, amputations, prosthesis, or some disfigurement sound interesting.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2019-06-23 21:48:04

The_Anabaptist

I think a wheelchair would make sense, if between ages 50 - 60 your movement was reduced to lifting a heavy object speed without a wheelchair.  Make elder care a thing!

The_Anabaptist

#8 2019-06-24 01:30:36

Alec

In mobile version, long time ago, we have "Cannot move bug" and "Very ugly original characters".
I can talk you what happen to us.

"Cannot move bug"
Some people cannot move, forever in his/hers life.
Only one way to resolve is dead.
So, what happen....is off course everyone say "Oh, its bug. I will die. good bye".
But some mother said, "No, you should live. I'll feed you. I can show you world while you're baby. and, Let's talk."
That was very loveful life. Yes I had experience that. Good drama.

"Very ugly original characters"
You know, in march, mobile version and original version has some fire.
After that, mobile version's creator added new original character.
That is very .... ugly. Eyes look at another direction, or look at sky always.
https://forum.onehouronelife.app/t/abou … rs/4539/18
Many people hate this face, so someone suicided himself, and someone insulted newbie's face.
I really hate these faces too.
Some mother neglected. But, boys who was insulted by sister and loved by mother, had looks feel happy.

Maybe if we have disability, somebody think "I Wasted my one life.".
But that's not all.

#9 2019-06-24 01:42:04

Sukallinen

Yeah, put it on perspective: do you want a week or two of updates or week to install elder wheelchairs which would be slow moving etc..?

Yup, thought so.

#10 2019-06-24 04:53:06

RodneyC86

Sukallinen wrote:

Yeah, put it on perspective: do you want a week or two of updates or week to install elder wheelchairs which would be slow moving etc..?

Yup, thought so.

Certainly not, maybe much lower priority on the list of potential updates. But I like the concept.

#11 2019-06-24 05:04:59

Azrael

maybe murder has a chance of failing, or if you heal too late the person ends up with a life long injury.

lets say the knife stab wasn't fatal like a 1/10 chance and you lost a leg, so you run slower. or you get a wheelchair.

I can see it happening, but not by birth, i don't think its fair to make random people have a disadvantage to others.

But by murder/attack it could be.

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#12 2019-06-24 05:07:41

MultiLife

Alec wrote:

In mobile version, long time ago, we have "Cannot move bug" and "Very ugly original characters".
I can talk you what happen to us.

"Cannot move bug"
Some people cannot move, forever in his/hers life.
Only one way to resolve is dead.
So, what happen....is off course everyone say "Oh, its bug. I will die. good bye".
But some mother said, "No, you should live. I'll feed you. I can show you world while you're baby. and, Let's talk."
That was very loveful life. Yes I had experience that. Good drama.

"Very ugly original characters"
You know, in march, mobile version and original version has some fire.
After that, mobile version's creator added new original character.
That is very .... ugly. Eyes look at another direction, or look at sky always.
https://forum.onehouronelife.app/t/abou … rs/4539/18
Many people hate this face, so someone suicided himself, and someone insulted newbie's face.
I really hate these faces too.
Some mother neglected. But, boys who was insulted by sister and loved by mother, had looks feel happy.

Maybe if we have disability, somebody think "I Wasted my one life.".
But that's not all.

Interesting!
I think the "can't move" bug could teach us to chill out a bit, share information and talk about the town and such. With a zoom out mod you could keep an eye on the town and/or idle a little bit if it gets boring or your talking buddy has to leave.

Ugly character: that's funny, he doesn't look ugly to me but he is drawn in a different style and technique, which makes it look like he doesn't belong at all. Jason's style is hard to imitate.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#13 2019-06-24 05:17:40

RodneyC86

Azrael wrote:

maybe murder has a chance of failing, or if you heal too late the person ends up with a life long injury.

lets say the knife stab wasn't fatal like a 1/10 chance and you lost a leg, so you run slower. or you get a wheelchair.

I can see it happening, but not by birth, i don't think its fair to make random people have a disadvantage to others.

But by murder/attack it could be.

Life isn't fair, so should this game be?

MultiLife has an interesting take though. I can totally see a less mobile player taking up a 'desk' job of being an administrator and to overseer operations instead of actively helping with manual labour.

Ugly as a concept is pretty meh, it's just a toon. Can't believe people suicide over some pixel vanity

#14 2019-06-24 13:08:04

Sukallinen

Oh, FYI the zoom out mods don't zoom out more than about one or two screens. Unless you have your own database and have lived in that place (I think those images pein has modified hide: total real location as far as he knows, player ID when mouseover - nothing too "bad"). And things I stated I think are maximum ones.

The mods do NOT show too far-away people, they may show what certain tile had in the past. I use one mod tha shows about one-two screens away compared to standard client. When I got killed by mosquitoes (later I found out I was in Twisted's video) I did holes in trees, they're too deadly when behind a tree, they really are. Also now I see what's hidden there, stopped griefer attack by taking swords away from behind maple trees smile

#15 2019-06-24 15:01:52

pein

well is total legit how i found those places
like it has 2 weird requirements:
-has to be a long lineage which is alive
-has to be at least alive from before the other day to 0930 GMT
this wil lresult in average to minimum 16 hour long lineage which is like 45ish genration
the minimum i seen was 10 hours

the other option is to be in a city and get back, cause cities can be older than families

any case, if you look at wondibles map on max zoom, good luck fnding towns without any pointer at all
each biome is like 40x40 or smaller and the screen you see wont contain a whole big biome
so there are thousands of them on the wondible map and quite hard to find a certain shape that looks the same

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2019-06-24 20:28:39

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I do need to pick my battles here.

Character animation, and getting clothes to fit all bodies, etc, is hard.

Thus, all characters actually have exactly the same body.  Same legs, arms, torso, head, and sex organs.  This means they can all share the same animation, and all wear the same clothing.

Different skin color, different face, different hair.

Now, I could make a character with a funny walk.... not that hard to tweak the animation for one character.  Pretty hard to tweak it every time for 100 characters (my goal).

Out of scope to make a character with a completely different body shape or movement requirements.

#17 2019-06-25 06:16:26

WalrusesConquer

It would be cool but (except for a few)Who would want to be disabled? It mainly sucks in real life, but we go through it because we can hardly die.
But in ohol, dying isn't that big a deal
Would you rather spend a token, or deal with some irritating thing for an hour

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-06-25 06:17:40)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#18 2019-06-25 07:12:55

Kitaelia

WalrusesConquer wrote:

Would you rather spend a token, or deal with some irritating thing for an hour

Would you rather live the same life nearly every life, or take on a unique challenge for an hour

Now, I know that nearly every life is hardly the same, because it is what we make of it.. I'm no stranger to creating my own fun if I'm feeling a bit bored with whatever pattern I might feel stuck in. I just wanted to word my above response similarly to your question as an example of differing opinions. What you may consider irritating, others may see as a fun challenge that forces them to get creative with how they solve problems.

As an example.. Being handicapped with some kind of speed/strength penalty due to an old injury/sickness would give a player more of an excuse to sit around town and teach the children.
I am a huge advocate for teaching because it is one of the major reasons the human species has advanced as well as it has.
However in OHOL I've gotten a bit shy about teaching due to all of the times I've been yelled at for "Standing around wasting food just to talk" because the passerby saw me standing there for literally 10 seconds while I was typing instructions for compost or something... lol

And of course handicaps that give us the excuse to stand around and teach can also be abused. Some will just stand around and not contribute anything.. But some people already can and do this.

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#19 2019-06-25 08:46:52

yoshio

(I can not speak English.  This sentence was written by Google translation.)

This is a game. I think too much. You may think that, but please write.

I have a son with autism. He can not speak words. He is an unbalanced diet and he is few things to eat. It can not behave like normal children. He go to school for disabled people.

However, my son has a very good memory. He can remember the place he visited once like a map. He love numbers and marks. He can eat your favorite food every day. And He have a kind heart.

I meet a lot of disabled people every day thanks to my son. And I was told that some people with disabilities are missing but some are better. Children with Down syndrome are always smiling, kind and very cute.

Do not look only at the missing side of the disabled. They also have many good aspects.

People who can not see may have good hearing. People in wheelchairs may have strong arms.

I love this game and have been playing for a long time. I am very sad when a disabled person is implemented and encounters a scene of killing or giving up because he is a disabled person.

"I will not raise this child" "I will kill this child"
"why?"
"Because you are disabled."

I am crying while writing now. If you encounter this scene, you may never play this game again.

Social issues such as homicide, child abandonment and racial discrimination have appeared in this game for some time. So I understand that only disabled people are not special.

But I could not but say. Please sense your feelings.

Make this game great. I support you.

(Below, original text)

これはゲームだ。考えすぎだよ。と思われるかもしれませんが、書かせてください。

私には自閉症の息子がいます。彼は言葉を話すことができません。偏食があり、食べられるものが少ないです。普通の子供と同じように振る舞うことができません。障害者の学校に通っています。

しかし、私の息子は記憶力がとても良いです。一度訪れた場所を地図のように記憶することができます。数字やマークが大好きです。好きな食べ物は、毎日でも食べることが出来ます。そして、優しい心を持っています。

私は息子のおかげで、毎日沢山の障害者に出会います。そして、障害者は欠けている面もあるが、長けている面もあることを教えてもらいました。ダウン症の子供は、いつも笑顔で優しく、とても可愛らしい。

障害者の欠けている面ばかりに目を向けないでください。彼らには長けている面もたくさんあります。

目が見えない人は、聴力が良いかもしれない。車椅子の人は、腕力が強いかもしれない。

私はこのゲームが大好きで長い間プレイしています。障害者が実装され、「障害者だから」という理由で殺害したり、育児放棄する場面に出会ったら、私はとても悲しい。

「この子は育てない」「この子は殺します」
「どうして?」
「障害者だからだよ」

私は今、書きながら泣いています。この場面に出会ったら、このゲームを二度とプレイしなくなってしまうかもしれない。

このゲームには以前から殺人や育児放棄、人種差別などの社会問題が登場してきました。だから障害者だけ特別ではないことは理解しています。

しかし、私は発言せざるおえなかった。気持ちを察してください。

このゲームが素晴らしいものになるように。応援しています。

Last edited by yoshio (2019-06-25 09:26:21)

#20 2019-06-25 09:25:50

RodneyC86

Awww , yoshio, don't be sad. I have an autistic younger brother too, so I know that feel.

I think some of us see this game as more of a artwork and pastiche of life as opposed to some players who see this a purely a game and will min-max conditions no matter the costs - killing a disabled baby included, or suiciding if you are born disabled.

Really though, disabled players can fill a niche. They can be good theoretical teachers, probably more so with wheelchairs.
Also, they can be an interesting challenge to a killing griefer I think?
You can be almost certain if someone kills a disabled person to be a griefer since disabled players are less able to grief themselves - unable to move fast, needs help with getting food. And they can actually tattletale when they see a griefer.

Then again, I guess a greifer could also be the disabled one and spready falsehoods - though I'm inclined to think griefers will insta-suicide if born disabled

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-25 09:26:56)

#21 2019-06-25 09:35:58

RodneyC86

But overall though, no pressure Jason. I don't see this concept being worthwhile until perhaps the very last updated. big perhaps though

#22 2019-06-25 10:39:55

yoshio

Thank you RodneyC86 . I am glad to understand my feelings.  How are your brother?  I want to play with your brother.

I may have been ruled by the word "disability".  If I think that a character and personality are newly added to a character, not a disabled person, I can receive it very naturally.

For example, there are few items that can be eaten, but a character that recovers a lot.

A character with very slow legs but with lots of luggage.

The baby can not have anything until the age of 2 and is slow but not disabled.

I do not want disabled people not to be implemented.  I hope that you want to implement with content that can have hope.

I am sorry if it is strange English.  I wrote in google translation.

(Below, original text)

ありがとう、RodneyC86。私の気持ちを理解してくれて嬉しいです。あなたの兄弟はお元気ですか?一緒に遊んでみたいな。

私は「障害者」という言葉に支配されていたのかもしれない。障害者ではなく、キャラクターに性格、個性が新しく追加されると考えると、とても自然に受け取ることが出来ます。

例えば、食べられるアイテムは少ないけれど、回復量が多いキャラクター。

足がとても遅いが荷物をたくさん持てるキャラクター。

赤ちゃんは2歳までものが持てないし、足が遅いけれど、決して障害者ではない。

私は障害者が実装されないでほしいわけではない。希望を持てる内容で実装してほしいと願っています。

おかしな英語だったらごめんなさい。google翻訳で書きました。

Last edited by yoshio (2019-06-25 11:53:31)

#23 2019-06-25 11:26:02

Vexenie

How to make people play, even disabled:

Make the life count VERY LOW, like 5-3 lives and regenerates every 45 min

This would make players still play, even if disabled, but it would also make the game less popular.

Talking out of my a** again, eh?

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#24 2019-06-25 11:26:48

Morti

yoshio wrote:

I am sorry if it is strange English.  I wrote in google translation.

あなたの勇気と思いやりは賞賛に値する。あなたの視点を共有してくれてありがとう。

It's worth noting, I typed "admirable" and it translated to "deserve praise" which I would say mean two different things in English, but none-the-less, I meant what I typed. Thank you for sharing your story and perspective on this subject with the rest of us, all over the world.

I have raised many people in this game, perhaps more than anyone else, and though the language barriers may keep us from fully understanding one another, care and compassion are messages that transcend words.

While not the same types of disabilities, I have had a desire to see the effects of consumption displayed in our bodies shapes and our health and movement speeds.
Perhaps people who eat small amounts, only when they are starving, and hear the warnings too often, could be displayed as malnourished, with thinner torsos. Where as people who often eat food who's value exceeds the maximum amount of the player's food meter, would become more rotund and move slower.

Even if it didn't translate to physical changes in the face and torso, I think it would be easier to adjust things like movement speed. But where a heavier person may move more slowly at all times, a skinnier, malnourished person may run out of energy, or stamina, after a certain amount of time and suffer even greater movement penalties.

I've thought about a lot of things in this game, but for as good a programmer Jason boasts he is, the vast majority of things you find in other video games seem exceed his grasp. Which is fair, not every game needs to be as complex, if not more so, than titles like World of Warcraft or Lineage, The Sims or Dungeons and Dragons, with all of their stats and modifiers.

Sometimes the simplest concepts, leave the most to be desired.

T2a96MU.png

#25 2019-06-25 14:27:35

WalrusesConquer

I agree with kitalia! I would like to be represented in a game and have fun! But regular players don't always see it that way...
Last life I died while on mushrooms so in my next life I was essentially blind.
I could do what every other toddler could. But I just needed a bit of help.

My mother was nice but other than that.
I recieved so many death threats.
"You're wasting food"
"KYS!"
"She should die"
I heard these things so many times.
I know there are some of you that wouldn't be like this, but my point is that it is quite sickining.
Also let's say you are an eve.
And your first daughter has a limp. She can't walk as fast and you can't really care for her...what do you do?

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

Board footer