One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-20 05:01:32

MistressZues

Naming your kids what you REALLY want

Just wondering if we will ever be able to actually name our kids what we want, I find it especially weird when the game doesn't recognize a name that is actually in the game. For example You are "Iron" ends up as "Iroh". You are "Fire" ends up as "firedaws". Cloak turns into cloe etc etc. Why does the game do this?? Is there a way to make it more accurate.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#2 2019-06-20 05:06:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Naming your kids what you REALLY want

The game is filtering what you type based on a list of actual human names.  All names that occurred in the US (a diverse, immigrant-rich place) in the year 2016 more than 5 times.

Apparently, very few people named their kid Cloak in real life!

The reason for this filtering is that it allows a HUGE range of real names, while also blocking "dickhead" and "dikhed" and all the rest automatically.

A whitelist, instead of a blacklist.

#3 2019-06-20 05:07:49

RodneyC86

jasonrohrer wrote:

The game is filtering what you type based on a list of actual human names.  All names that occurred in the US (a diverse, immigrant-rich place) in the year 2016 more than 5 times.

The reason for this filtering is that it allows a HUGE range of real names, while also blocking "dickhead" and "dikhed" and all the rest automatically.

That means there are actually kids named Adolfo? Poor kids, bless their poor souls

#4 2019-06-20 05:47:37

Grim_Arbiter

RodneyC86 wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

That means there are actually kids named Adolfo? Poor kids, bless their poor souls

Comment of the month right here

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-06-20 07:57:18

sigmen4020

jasonrohrer wrote:

Do people name their kids babyboy, baby and babygirl. Must be an awkward adulthood.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2019-06-20 07:59:38

Sukallinen

I think most ppl missed the update - no more Jason XIV (oops, Jason XV sry missed year passed), it picks up (I think next, haven't tested) name that is not alive at the moment you name.

#7 2019-06-20 15:53:26

MistressZues

Sukallinen wrote:

I think most ppl missed the update - no more Jason XIV (oops, Jason XV sry missed year passed), it picks up (I think next, haven't tested) name that is not alive at the moment you name.

I knew about it before I posteed this, Twisted tested it in his last youtube upload, It works really well. My main topic wasnt the same name issue though just wishing that we could name our kids what we please, Atleast names that are really in the game already, Rabbit etc. I just want cute funny themes for my kids. I understand some will abuse this power but some of us want to be abused lol "fuckface" "dickhead" or whatever. I dont think it will be that common of an occurence.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#8 2019-06-20 16:06:05

happynova

sigmen4020 wrote:

Do people name their kids babyboy, baby and babygirl. Must be an awkward adulthood.

I hate to say it, but I strongly suspect these are just designations given to babies who didn't live long enough to get actual names.

MistressZues wrote:

I understand some will abuse this power but some of us want to be abused lol "fuckface" "dickhead" or whatever. I dont think it will be that common of an occurence.

It's common enough already for people to attempt it.  And I certainly wouldn't want to go through an hour's worth of life with some of the names people have tried to give me.  (I've never been an attempted "fuckface," but I've had way too many variations on "dick.")  I suspect some people would do it less if they knew it wouldn't turn into something different, but a lot would do it more.

(I will, however, admit to a shameful fondness for first names that turn into really bad puns when combined with the last name.  If I've ever named you Patti Cake or Ivory Soap or Scarlett Sins, sorrynotsorry.)

#9 2019-06-20 16:16:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The list of names from 2016, which includes Adolpho, is a list of names for all living people in the US in 2016, not just newly named babies.  I.e., it's from the entire database of living people with Social Security numbers.

Thus, I'm assuming that Adolfo is the name of some older man.

There are also lists available by birth year.  I used that for TCD for the procedurally generated names (so the kids had "young" sounding names, and the parents had "older" sounding names, but all era-appropriate for the early 1990s when the game takes place).

Anyway, this website is a lot of fun:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

Adolph was in the top 1000 in 1950, along with Adolphus.

#10 2019-06-20 16:55:23

Sukallinen

jasonrohrer wrote:

includes Adolpho

I really had trouble telling people in discord variations of that name aren't too bad. Usually I'm rather hard-headed (Eh? Is that English ?) but had to give up on that. Explaining I even tried "don" "donaldo" "trumf" or such (uh, Donald Trump) but IDK, is few letters away from German mass murderer really bad/griefing ? I do not think so. Not sure about how many live atm in Austria or Germany though, nor do I care. Nor will I ever understand (Finnish, we go family sauna nude with whole family until puberty, in university and such it's again all nude-some use towel though-but some time for one sex also reserved) why usa citizens see that bad and guns ok, but again I digress.

I think Josif is in the game (? as Josif Stalin), killed more than some German dude. IDK about Mao etc but you get the gist. Let sleeping ducks lie (except for goose debt-I am part of goose cult ingame) please. And no, not my name anywhere near any of those. I could tell about my second name but nah, besides the point and would make no difference. To me.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-20 17:45:30)

#11 2019-06-20 17:01:56

Jojigirl

The list is pretty awesome really.. I see names I've never heard of which is pretty cool, even my name (Electra) is in there and it's never anywhere!! lol

#12 2019-06-20 18:28:05

BladeWoods

Wish I could name kids after in-game things like rabbit or fire. Would be funny.

#13 2019-06-20 18:53:25

fatbunny

I mean Stalin is an actual name lol. Id much rather be named Adolfo than Stalin

#14 2019-06-20 19:05:27

Guppy

Sukallinen wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

includes Adolpho

is few letters away from German mass murderer really bad/griefing ?

Austrian*

#15 2019-06-20 19:57:29

Keyin

I know someone named Adolfo who is only 18 years old. His nickname was Hitler when we were in middle school, lol. Adolfo doesn't have the stigma Adolf does.

#16 2019-06-20 20:12:02

Spiegel

I've known plenty of Adolfo when I was growing up! They were always from some random place in South America.

#17 2019-06-20 20:51:34

Spoonwood

I'm not Spiro, I'm Spoon... dammit!!!!!!!!!

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#18 2019-06-21 05:29:35

WalrusesConquer

I'm glad it's I whitelist, or else whenever I'm a black kid my name wouldn't be Nigel...

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#19 2019-06-21 09:41:30

Amon

A moment of silence for all girls named Vahn.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#20 2019-06-21 18:42:49

The_Anabaptist

I'm all in favor of more flexibility in naming.  There are often common things I want to name a kid that don't make the list, but would be perfectly suitable names.  Maybe give players the ability to change their own name once they hit 20, to fix or create those outlandish names.

And let's not forget, there are RL parents naming their kids "abcde" of all things...

The_Anabaptist

#21 2019-06-24 12:19:55

MistressZues

Found this gem on youtube today  lol https://youtu.be/yNFX8An0bwk

#22 2019-06-24 13:21:03

Sukallinen

I am sure everyone who reads this has done naming, like: you are aluminiumfinder <- kid laughs, gets a decent name and I explain why, and say sorry but this is this liff'. Maybe add sh*t happens.

Or "berrymuncher" - changes to (I do not remember what) but before kid does /die I say jk (joking), we've got good town going there, need X and Y if you want, or work in farm. I always try to make name/life sound important, as it is, really, imo.

If I see someone older nude just eating berries I often do ask "if you are new I can show some things" -> referring to compost-farm-cycle, if fast learner I also show how to smith basic tools. I've been asked to do diesel engine, I am not so confident on myself to do that so I've told (truth) we don't have enough iron atm( at the moment). For my kids I ask (when they near 3 yo) say n if new and want to know basics, then tell N sayers to follow and ask what they want to learn.

Because we need bigger playerbase, it is nice to teach - I know basic stuff will be done in town while I go adventure (or pein builds a car), Whatever.

See what I did there ? wink ty all for fun gaming.

#23 2019-06-25 01:11:24

ollj

i name my kids nonsense, that doesnt have a match in the name list, but that makes sensae in context to what happens or matters in the game.
if theres an urgent event in the area right now, if some people are migrative or exploring, if base has low food, if i am just hunting jummy foods, if i am just smithing or sheering sheep, if i have bery high jums, of the town lacks food variety, if the town somehow only lacks pants (this is relevant and funny),m of the town has a thing for human sacrifice ot genocide or war babies.

profane names are always fun to shtow at the list of real names.

funniest rl story on kids names is when they introduced a condom brand in a high populated asian country, and the brandname was a common human name of the area. that nem then went out of use for human names, because somehow no mother wanted to name his child after a famous condom brand.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-25 01:14:21)

Board footer