One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-14 04:36:14

RodneyC86

Opinions: Do you carry your vendetta between lives??

With the recent feud between Starks Vs pretty much everyone else (Ginger being a notable victim), something I wonder about player motives.

If say you were a Ginger and was raided by Starks (justly or otherwise) and then you were reborn as a Stark the next life, would you consider it justified to grief then? Based on what they did to you as a player last life? Or would you forget your last life and play the role as an actual Stark and go along with the campaigning and empire expansion???

I have played one life in each family, honestly both side were decent people who were generally helpful or at least won't get in your way -save for one guy who had an awfully short fuse and stabbed a woman who showed a small bit of sass.

There were quite a bit of hate speech against each family from another going on as I carried my simple farming life, but when I sat and think about, both sides seems like fair minded folks mostly. Neither deserve a sword to the throat but here we are. So now I decide, if I'm born either side, I'll have to play along as an actual game character and not be blind sided by my personal feelings on who was the aggressor

Sorry if this is confusing, I am not always very articulate. Guess I'm just seeing the issue where a baby can be born into a family with 'baggage' from the last life against the very family he/she is born into, and that's immersion-breaking.

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-14 04:36:42)

#2 2019-06-14 05:02:59

MultiLife

Re: Opinions: Do you carry your vendetta between lives??

I thought about this, but my answer would be no. If someone from some family goes genocidal on a family it's mostly just one or two rotten apples. It's the individual, not the family. Most of the family are nice as majority of the players are. Nice Eves and other ancestors don't deserve death or grief for their line just because they had rotten apples born at some point.

And yes, it is immersion breaking to carry over issues from another life.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-14 05:05:42)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-06-14 07:47:54

Dantox

yes

make bread, no war

#4 2019-06-14 08:36:37

RodneyC86

Dantox wrote:

yes

Yes I can understand that on a personal level. But I rather play into my character and roleplay his/her life story. It's my characters story, not mine. But that's just me

#5 2019-06-14 09:39:33

Psykout

Hmm I see the point you are trying to make, it is one that has been brought up when considering actual full on warfare, if born to the family you are sieging, would you not then become an agent against your family. For me personally, I would never carry a "grudge" as in that any act would make me go beyond my natural self and do harm to others. To fully answer your question, anyone can carry baggage if they desire, and it does not matter if it was from a direct previous encounter. It does matter if the family you were just born to holds some regard, it does not matter if you were born to a family with chains of murders. Any reason, no matter how small, will be used by those that want to behave outside of themselves for self satisfaction.

The thing is, we are all relatively decent people. We play with each other constantly, just never truly know unless spoken about. These "feuds" are asinine in context of the scope of the game, but unfortunately they have become the biggest driving force I have seen to date from playing. If for some reason you were trying to hang onto this shred of dignity of "playing the role" after a very short time you would realize there never is really a side, and either you walk away or continue to fester and kill whenever you can. Conflict at this point feels like patchwork to "deal" with griefers so Jason wouldn't have to, that has progressed to a standard of the game. Without ways to permanently deal with those wishing to burn the world, many civilizations would fall very quickly, no deterrent no consequence.

As we start to entertain conversations about "well do I wage war on those I just played with or kill my family based of previous situations" (I say just these two because that was the two options you gave - part of my point) the entirety of the game suffers. How can anyone truly "build" anything if every login is a roulette of peace/war. It has always boggled my mind why anyone would want to do harm to another settlement, because you are very likely have to rely on them for survival during you next life. But then again we have all seen how there are those that are eager to destroy from the inside, so why not be fearful from the outside.

This all starts to creep on how people act with certain levels of anonymity. Typically its just a mask of a username, one that either gets disregarded after time or earns its place in notoriety through negative interactions. As time goes on, as knowledge transfers, those known to be malicious are given speedbumps to their mission, and their progress is slowed. In OHOL its paradise, every life is a new face and a new name, a new group of "unsuspecting" victims. The perfect disguise for their acts, and sadly the only thing stopping them is cursing, which can be avoided if they prey on those outside of their family. What it really boils down to, is what you as a player want to continue from life to life. If its to attach yourself to situational drama, nothing stopping you, but someday you will inevitably end up playing with those of your persuasion, because the rest will move on.

Yes, this was a tangent. To answer briefly, No I never attach frustrations from a previous life because that is not fair. I want things to be fair and productive because that provides stability. Stability in a game that at every turn pushes struggle is more valuable than anything. This constant pursuit of conflict, property, barriers, weapons has shepherded the game into what it is now. I only ask for people to think beyond simple things such as the origin of this topic, that this issue can become nonsense. If your perogative in the game is swayed by the influences of negativos, then you need to step back and think about what you truly are trying to put out into the world, and stop hiding behind a faceless name in a game about building civilizations.

#6 2019-06-14 11:42:10

Jojigirl

Every life is different. I don't carry over grudges, by the time I get into the new life there are different players there than the ones who annoyed me.  I don't like ruining anyone's game, especially because of something they had nothing to do with.

#7 2019-06-14 14:05:45

Joseph Stalin

I wouldn't it seems weird, I kinda wish that families had so many colonies so I could stay in the same family so this wouldn't happen

#8 2019-06-14 14:09:49

Guppy

I only hold grudges against a person, not their family

#9 2019-06-14 15:26:42

MistressZues

I never used to feel this way, however, with the new update and the fact that only three or four families will be alive for a few days it seems now you grow attached to a certain family that you were the great granddaughter of the eve and then were reborn four or five times to later and really helped advance, so when that town is hit it hits you hard lol. I can't help but feel some type of way towards the other family. I wouldn't go as far to to grief them but I definitely would be an active solution to theirs towns problem.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#10 2019-06-14 15:33:27

RodneyC86

MistressZues wrote:

I never used to feel this way, however, with the new update and the fact that only three or four families will be alive for a few days it seems now you grow attached to a certain family that you were the great granddaughter of the eve and then were reborn four or five times to later and really helped advance, so when that town is hit it hits you hard lol. I can't help but feel some type of way towards the other family. I wouldn't go as far to to grief them but I definitely would be an active solution to theirs towns problem.

Totally get you. Flawed human beings we are. What fun is there if everyone is absolutely perfectly rational and logical right?

To be honest, I would probably be the same. I will not participate in war against a family I lived a good life with either, probably will just say I'm a pacifist and refuse to join. At least, do no harm?

#11 2019-06-14 16:20:36

pein

i did a few times revenge people or the bystanders who just didn't do a thing for it and feels nice
killing people who got nothing to do with that isn't my cup of tee

the other day we had a fully enclosed camp with one gate and 2 then 3 families
the originals were the white ones, and then some black eve, i was in both, i came back as one of last girls for the white family, we were forced out  by the creols as they had tons of girls, most of them had knives and swords and only seen a few kills on the black Bee? family, but that was enough to dispatch them, they also did it outside walls
and i was mostly having boys, suicidal kids, newbees, and i went old so they let me live, until some bitch ass naked girl wanted to steal my horse and bumped on it

secodn time i stop to eat she took it and run away
i insta aggro on her and i was waiting her back
she dropepd the horse and tried to lie that it's gone
but the knife doesn't forget
i killed her when she came back on foot
i was killed cause they got a bad excuse then

before i died i seen some Eve austria popping like 5 kids under a few minutes
the circle continues

now you can only trace back the error to the point when people let one female in
males can be ok
they wont have kids
if they work they fine
but females will have kids, and no one says to the kids that: oh hey we are guests here, don't kill others

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-06-14 16:40:47

mrbah

I usually don't but when barbarian eve was the meta I was born to a noob eve who soon died, so I had no living female family.
I searched out the closest village and did what I could to earn their trust (we could understand each other), fill their bowls with wild berries, bring some scavenged crowns I found, but a woman saw it fit to chase me with a sword, not only out of town, but for at least a minute outside of town before killing me.

I respawned as an eve nearby and spent a lot of time making a bow to get back at her told my kids what she did.
By the time I entered the village with my kids, she was nowhere to be seen, and I didn't want to kill any innocent relatives. However when one of them stabbed my kids with their sword, I swiftly shot them.
I think i died shortly after from hunger, but I got some kind of revenge.

Edit: the woman who killed me told the other villagers to kill all whites, and I was a shade lighter than her.

Last edited by mrbah (2019-06-14 16:41:25)

#13 2019-06-14 18:56:46

WalrusesConquer

If I die then get reborn to the same family (like to an aunt) I will not tell my original mom. The past is the past. My original mother may have lost a kid, but my aunt just gained one.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#14 2019-06-14 20:57:37

happynova

I had an experience a little while back where my (small, not very advanced) town was wiped out by aggressors.  In my next life, I was born into the town that had attacked us, and I remember being conflicted about it.  I wasn't going to grief them, but, boy, I did not feel positive about the idea of helping these people, either.  I was thinking maybe of just leaving the town behind and taking off into the wilderness.

Then I ended up talking to one of the people who killed my family in my last life, and got their side of the story.  Turns out, my jerk of a brother started the whole conflict, and I had no idea.  It was an interesting experience.

I ended up relocating to the old town of my previous life and trying to repopulate it, but didn't have huge amounts of success.

#15 2019-06-14 21:41:50

ProNice

I never have a grudge for something that happened in another life. I think it's heavy metagaming.

#16 2019-06-15 09:16:38

arkajalka

I dont care about the past lifes, but i do care about your intentions as a civ. I personally dont care at all of this war and stealing stuff from other civs. I believe in hard work rather than killing grieffing and stealing. You can literally make 20 times more stuff than you can steall in one life.

So if i end up in a civ which goals are those i usually /die, but sometimes i give them a taste of their own medicine. Stealing bellows, from advanced civ puts em back on sword making for while. Its suprisingly hard to make new bellows in advanced civ as they tend to run out of close by clay and skewers.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#17 2019-06-17 05:28:35

ollj

yes, game mechanics make this a valid strategy, infiltrate, incite paranoya, espionage and avenge, in favor of whatever your agenda is.

if ANY base is too dumb to farm ropes in ANY way, and instead only get berries, ou must kill them all, or else many more babies will suffer this newbie situation.

i once whitnessed a genocide at age 3, managed to build two arroes, and kill two people who did it, and seeing a total of 7 corpses in town by the time i was 24 years old, while raising two kids, surropunded by death.
both of my dauthers where not smart enough to cope with this mildy depressing situation though. not my choice there.

Board footer