One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-28 19:53:01

Keyin

The update to /DIE won't stop Eve grief from being common

I just tested it in game. I can type /die faster than my mother can pick me up if she isn't standing still. Meaning I can use up a couple minutes of her fertility. Combined with other players logging in, I can still easily become Eve by putting all of the fertile women on cool-down.

#2 2019-05-28 19:56:41

Dodge

Re: The update to /DIE won't stop Eve grief from being common

/die doesn't give birth cool down

it resets the cooldown

Last edited by Dodge (2019-05-28 19:57:42)

#3 2019-05-28 20:00:01

Keyin

Dodge wrote:

it resets the cooldown

That only happens if the mom picks you up before you /DIE. 5/6 moms can't pick me up in time to get their cool-down reset.

I became Eve three times to see if it was a fluke.

Last edited by Keyin (2019-05-28 20:00:35)

#4 2019-05-28 20:01:13

Dodge

Keyin wrote:
Dodge wrote:

it resets the cooldown

That only happens if the mom picks you up before you /DIE. 5/6 moms can't pick me up in time to get their cool-down reset.

Are you sure about that?

/die should reset cooldown regardless

#5 2019-05-28 20:06:20

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:
Keyin wrote:
Dodge wrote:

it resets the cooldown

Are you sure about that?

Unless Jason changed the code, you are mistaken.    Your mom has to pick you up to prove that she wants you.

#6 2019-05-28 20:15:06

Dodge

How does proving she wants you should change anything to the cooldown?

if that's the case then it can be exploited to be Eve

#7 2019-05-28 20:22:13

Psykout

DestinyCall wrote:
Dodge wrote:
Keyin wrote:

Are you sure about that?

Unless Jason changed the code, you are mistaken.    Your mom has to pick you up to prove that she wants you.

Ugh I mentioned this before the change, you can easily spend a couple minutes spamming /die - even make a macro for it to do even faster, and wreck tons of mothers fertility in the process. Top it off with that, if true, can still force eve, so many bad feels.

#8 2019-05-28 21:44:03

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:
Dodge wrote:
Keyin wrote:

Are you sure about that?

INCORRECT ... several days ago this is happening ...
the babies can do / die without their mother picking them up ...

I do not know if it is intentional, an exploited bug or a hack ... but it happens constantly during the last weeks.

ahhh and your cooldown time is not reset

Last edited by JonySky (2019-05-28 21:45:34)

#9 2019-05-28 22:22:19

sigmen4020

Maybe Jason could add something like a five second or so period where you can’t /die after you are born. I think it’s pretty ridiculous that they can /die immediately after being born, and that it is expected of the mom to pick the baby up the instant they are born or else they didn’t want the child. Adding a small /die cooldown like this might also make /die just a tiny bit more tedious for /die chainers.

On a different note you really shouldn’t be able to cycle through all families twice. Maybe a warning can be added on the rebirth after you have already cycled through all familiesonce, that tells you about a punishment that will follow if they cycle through all the families again. Something like spawning as an Adam far away from others as a sort of mini DT, until a new suitable mother has been found.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#10 2019-05-28 22:29:22

RodneyC86

sigmen4020 wrote:

Maybe Jason could add something like a five second or so period where you can’t /die after you are born. I think it’s pretty ridiculous that they can /die immediately after being born, and that it is expected of the mom to pick the baby up the instant they are born or else they didn’t want the child. Adding a small /die cooldown like this might also make /die just a tiny bit more tedious for /die chainers.

On a different note you really shouldn’t be able to cycle through all families twice. Maybe a warning can be added on the rebirth after you have already cycled through all familiesonce, that tells you about a punishment that will follow if they cycle through all the families again. Something like spawning as an Adam far away from others as a sort of mini DT, until a new suitable mother has been found.

I have been thinking
If you choose to use /die too much in a short span(I dont know how much is reasonable, 5 times in an hour maybe?
You will be punished by the "God of Life" for being ungrateful of the gifts of life. As a result you will be borned a cripple subsequently each time you start a new life for a given amount of real time life,an hour maybe?

Cripple means maybe you walk at 50 percent speed compared to normal players and cannot execute kill commands due to being too weak to overpower normal
Players

There will be a warning before you choose to use die on your last life.

Maybe also make a way to tell whether a born child had been recently using die a lot past few minutes so the mother can decide whether the child is a serial /die

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-28 22:30:30)

#11 2019-05-28 22:35:49

Amon

And I thought Jason added a small timer as a grace period for the mother not picking up the baby in time. Huh, apparently not?

Last edited by Amon (2019-05-28 22:36:06)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#12 2019-05-28 22:49:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, I'm pushing out a fix for this.

Now a mother's birth cool-down instantly resets when a baby dies of any cause.

Thus, if there's room for you in the world as a baby, it's impossible to be Eve through any kind of baby death.  I hope.

This means that the new 8-hour-no-look map clearing change will also go live early.

#13 2019-05-28 23:20:45

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

This means that the new 8-hour-no-look map clearing change will also go live early.

Dang only 8 hours? I mean it might work well if we get families that last for more than 20 or 30 generations. It might since there's not eve stacking now, but have a feeling 8 might not be enough.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#14 2019-05-28 23:25:39

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What won't work well?

This is 100x100 sections of the map that haven't been seen by a single soul for more than 8 hours.  Over the next 8 hours, those sections will decay back to nature, assuming that they aren't seen at all during that time.

If anyone so much as walks through that 100x100 section, it will save the whole section for 8 more hours at least.

Also, this only affects servers with more than 15 current players (so, Bigserver2 only), not the higher-number low-pop servers.

#15 2019-05-28 23:29:00

RodneyC86

jasonrohrer wrote:

What won't work well?

This is 100x100 sections of the map that haven't been seen by a single soul for more than 8 hours.  Over the next 8 hours, those sections will decay back to nature, assuming that they aren't seen at all during that time.

If anyone so much as walks through that 100x100 section, it will save the whole section for 8 more hours at least.

Also, this only affects servers with more than 15 current players (so, Bigserver2 only), not the higher-number low-pop servers.

What does this decay entail? Only man made stuff disappears? Do natural resources respawn?

#16 2019-05-28 23:52:15

testo

jasonrohrer wrote:

Okay, I'm pushing out a fix for this.

Now a mother's birth cool-down instantly resets when a baby dies of any cause.

Thus, if there's room for you in the world as a baby, it's impossible to be Eve through any kind of baby death.  I hope.

Good. This is really good!!!

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#17 2019-05-29 00:55:48

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The decay means that, tile by tile, the map goes 100% back to a natural, proc-genned state.  The old trees come back. The old iron comes back.  The wild animals come back.  The walls, tools, containers, tamed animals, etc. disappear.

So the next time someone visits that area, it will look exactly like it did the very first time someone walked in there, before human contact.

I may be thinking about a new Eve spawn where we only put Eve in a spot that hasn't been seen in long enough.  And we try to find the closest such spot to existing civilization.

But I think I'll wait for the time being to see how this shakes out.

#18 2019-05-29 01:07:52

Booklat1

Jason, lets check eve changes before area resets plz

tbh i dont feel like stacking big changes after another is best. so much changed lately, give us some time to adapt

#19 2019-05-29 02:57:53

Psykout

jasonrohrer wrote:

The decay means that, tile by tile, the map goes 100% back to a natural, proc-genned state.  The old trees come back. The old iron comes back.  The wild animals come back.  The walls, tools, containers, tamed animals, etc. disappear.

So the next time someone visits that area, it will look exactly like it did the very first time someone walked in there, before human contact.

I may be thinking about a new Eve spawn where we only put Eve in a spot that hasn't been seen in long enough.  And we try to find the closest such spot to existing civilization.

But I think I'll wait for the time being to see how this shakes out.

Thank you kindly for the changes to baby cooldown, greatly needed. I also think the idea of placing Eves in one of these unseen chunks is a great idea and is a great step towards getting early game back into the game. Curious to see how that will spread out all the players a bit more through the map, might even bring about road construction again. Having people stumble upon and road and passing through it is the way to "save" an area, if we as players keep maintaining the saving of our creations and connect them we will start to see and shape more of the world. Mastering Our Environment, great to see one of the pillars of humanity poking through the game again.

#20 2019-05-29 04:14:48

futurebird

I'm thinking about putting up fences or some kind of warning near iron mines to get people to stay out of picked over regions so we can hit that vein again. Maybe I'll just leave little piles of 3 stones or 3 lime stone and if you see those avoid any nearby stone biomes there is a mined-out vein there and if you walk past it it will stay mined out.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#21 2019-05-29 04:23:11

testo

futurebird wrote:

I'm thinking about putting up fences or some kind of warning near iron mines to get people to stay out of picked over regions so we can hit that vein again. Maybe I'll just leave little piles of 3 stones or 3 lime stone and if you see those avoid any nearby stone biomes there is a mined-out vein there and if you walk past it it will stay mined out.

But 100/100 is just too big for that. It is also very hard not to find a collapsed mine if you are actively looking for an iron vein. For lasts: roaming the map to prevent respawn will be the next big thing among griefers smile

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#22 2019-05-29 04:27:39

Guppy

I feel like Stone structures shouldnt decay. Would be so cool to stumble across overgrown cities.
They could get replaced with stuff, if someone build a wall where once was a tree, the tree could replace the wall, to make it look even more overgrown.
Probably hard to programm that though

#23 2019-05-29 04:28:23

RodneyC86

testo wrote:
futurebird wrote:

But 100/100 is just too big for that. It is also very hard not to find a collapsed mine if you are actively looking for an iron vein. For lasts: roaming the map to prevent respawn will be the next big thing among griefers smile

Son of a b.. dangit

But you know, that has no instant gratification and you don't get to see the 'fruits of labor' . May not be a popular grief method ever

#24 2019-05-29 04:38:40

futurebird

I'd rather griefers roam the map trying to.... lol keep iron from re spawning than the other stuff that they do. Have at it!

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#25 2019-05-29 04:39:30

Dodge

So 8 hours renewable iron veins and an infinite map.

Not sure how this is going to bring scarcity of ressources and roads between villages but wait and see i guess.

Board footer