a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-21 17:11:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Don't take life too seriously

Alan Watts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4wa0tSBdOU

Interesting to think about these words as if they were applied to this game.

#2 2019-05-21 17:41:29

Spoonwood

Re: Don't take life too seriously

Which words?  I'm not going to sit here and watch some YouTube video.  You have something to say?  Then say it in your own words, or quote someone else directly.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-05-21 17:51:26

DestinyCall

Relax, Spoonwood.   Alan Watts is an interesting speaker even if it is unclear what Jason is hinting at.

#4 2019-05-21 18:08:46

pein

don't take gingers too seriously

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-05-21 19:12:36

DestinyCall

I watched the video and I just have one question .... I have heard of the waltz and the rumba ... but what in the world is the frug?    I must google it.

Alright ... for anyone who is too lazy to google, but still curious:

"The Frug was a dance craze from the mid-1960s, which included vigorous dance to pop music. It evolved from another dance of the era, the Chicken. The Chicken, which featured lateral body movements, was used primarily as a change of pace step while doing the Twist. As young dancers grew more tired they would do less work, moving only their hips while standing in place. They then started making up arm movements for the dance, which prompted the birth of the Swim, the Monkey, the Dog, the Watusi, the Mashed Potato, and the Jerk. The Frug is sometimes referred to as the Surf, Big Bea, and the Thunderbird."

Now I have another question ... does anyone else want Jason to add dance emotes to OHOL after reading about The Frug?   I can't be the only one.

#6 2019-05-21 19:23:37

Guppy

Spoonwood wrote:

Which words?  I'm not going to sit here and watch some YouTube video.  You have something to say?  Then say it in your own words, or quote someone else directly.

Are you gonna do this under every post jason makes now?
Is this Trüf crying to get his curses wiped- version 2?

#7 2019-05-21 19:45:45

Joseph Stalin

spoon stop being a baby

#8 2019-05-21 20:31:28

Peaches

Spoonwood wrote:

Oh, why dont *you* shut up and stop posting rather than acting like the actual child you are. Grow up.

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#9 2019-05-21 20:37:50

Jk Howling

>don't take life too seriously
>Spoonwood taking life too seriously

dam chill

-Has ascended to better games-

#10 2019-05-21 20:48:30

MultiLife

Jk Howling wrote:

>don't take life too seriously
>Spoonwood taking life too seriously

dam chill

>people taking Spoonwood too seriously

Aiyiyi.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2019-05-21 22:53:43

Spoonwood

Guppy wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I don't know.

Guppy wrote:

No, it's not.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2019-05-21 22:54:44

Spoonwood

Joseph Stalin wrote:

spoon stop being a baby

I'm fairly sure that babies don't write in complete sentences like I do.  So, no, Spoon was not being a baby in the first place.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2019-05-22 00:13:13

hmrka

Guppy wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Truf crying to get his curses wiped was actually just bait to shame veteran players who are legimately hurt by the broken total curse score system.

Just thought I'd let you know, and all the people taking truf seriously.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#14 2019-05-22 00:17:21

DestinyCall

hmrka wrote:

Just thought I'd let you know, and all the people taking truf seriously.

At this point, I think that the only people still taking him seriously are his alt accounts.

#15 2019-05-22 00:36:18

BladeWoods

Spoonwood wrote:
Joseph Stalin wrote:

spoon stop being a baby

I'm fairly sure that babies don't write in complete sentences like I do.  So, no, Spoon was not being a baby in the first place.

You're right you're not being a baby, you're being a bitch

#16 2019-05-22 00:45:18

lychee

Can we be nice, please?

It’s fine to be upset about things, but name calling only escalates things. That goes for Spoon too — I’m pretty sure Jason just tunes them out at this point — shouting louder doesn’t do anything if they’ve mentally “muted” you.

Insulting and bashing people usually doesn’t make people very inclined to listen to your point. If anything, it does the opposite, causes people to tunnel vision onto the attacks (regardless of what the actual objective points were), and often makes them less willing to cooperate.

#17 2019-05-22 00:45:47

DestinyCall

Now, now ... let's keep things civil.  There's no point telling Spoon to be nicer, if you are just going to turn around and throw insults at him.   Try to be the better man.

#18 2019-05-22 00:52:17

futurebird

DestinyCall wrote:

Now, now ... let's keep things civil.  There's no point telling Spoon to be nicer, if you are just going to turn around and throw insults at him.   Try to be the better man.

Agree. This is really out of hand.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#19 2019-05-22 04:53:19

WalrusesConquer

> Everyone being serious (ly)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#20 2019-05-22 16:30:12

sdogg2m

Not sure about the youtube video since I won't watch it and I know people will be dumping on spoonwood but one reason we play OHOL is to take life less seriously. This, too, is also the reason we love the cooperative play and the unique experience of being cared for prior to being able to accomplish something of value in OHOL.

Maybe you haven't realized this Jason but in your quest to make this game to mirror life, your players often are looking for a game to escape life for a brief period of time. If you want us to have a real-life experience then we already have one.

Since you are keen on linking us to youtube videos, I will link you one. Yet, I don't want you to watch the video but read the comments. Your game has been turned from a project that could be extremely great in bringing people together and divided them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WSOxJKblEY

This game taught me that hatred and racism can happen anywhere at anytime. Believe it or not even playing as the character he did in the video he said he "doesn't trust" that person and wants to prepare a weapon.

I tried to put the game down recently with the understanding that my lines would die due to lack of players and also knowing that each update kills off all lines. However, I was playing due to a wonderful person in my life who loves your game, that is until the war sword update. The sad reality is there are already plenty of better war and pvp games out there. The spending 20-30 minutes of a potential life having to defend myself and my assets against killers caused me to pick up a PVP game once again. That PVP game wasn't OHOL though, it was Apex Legends. I have played this game since day two of the war sword update. I know you have improved it but I think its your nature to cause turmoil and for me I can get enough of that in the real world.

Last edited by sdogg2m (2019-05-22 16:30:43)

Board footer