One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-12 18:05:02

FeignedSanity

How hard would it be to give this game WASD controls as standard?

You would still be able to move with the mouse, maybe you'd even have to still click on things. Or maybe you could also have the ability to "click" with the keyboard. I'm just wondering how much of a challenge it would be for Jason to add this, or if he's said anything about specifically not adding it (like he has with zoom). I know the hetuw mod does something like this, so it's not impossible.

Basically, I've heard over and over about people asking for zoom to be a standard part of the game, but I've never heard anyone say anything about keyboard controls. Am I the only one that would be interested in this? Has anyone asked about this in the past?

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2019-05-12 18:07:29

FeignedSanity

Re: How hard would it be to give this game WASD controls as standard?

How did this triple post? How do you delete?

#3 2019-05-12 18:27:50

CatX

At the bottom right of your post, there should be a menu saying "Report Delete Edit Quote"

#4 2019-05-12 18:31:06

FeignedSanity

Nope. It only says "report edit quote". Come to think of it, I think Jason made it impossible to delete posts a long time ago. Oh well, nothing I can do about that.

#5 2019-05-12 18:42:16

SirCaio

I'd like to see this implemented aswell. I also think the not necessarily "bad" controls is what repels some of the new players.

#6 2019-05-12 18:45:44

lychee

I think it's a networking thing that Jason didn't want it in the main game -- can save on bandwidth if it's clicks instead of wasd.

#7 2019-05-12 19:52:36

Tarr
Banned

I personally prefer to play with WASD controls now that I've gotten used to them.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-05-12 20:19:58

Vexenie

The WASD controls should be an option, WASD for those people, mouse for veterans

This would increase the player base and I've tried to make my best friend play after the twin update, and he doesn't want to play it for one reason: The movement is mouse based

This would help a lot of veteran players, who want to play with friends, who don't want to because of the mouse movement system.

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#9 2019-05-12 21:01:25

Greep

lychee wrote:

I think it's a networking thing that Jason didn't want it in the main game -- can save on bandwidth if it's clicks instead of wasd.

On the githup request a while back by the WASD mod creator, this was Jason's response, yes.

I'm sure someday it'll get looked at again when an optimized way of doing is developed.

Last edited by Greep (2019-05-12 21:01:41)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#10 2019-05-12 21:09:33

Dodge

Greep wrote:
lychee wrote:

On the githup request a while back by the WASD mod creator, this was Jason's response, yes.

I'm sure someday it'll get looked at again when an optimized way of doing is developed.

A cap limit per second on key input refresh rate?

When moving you click about 1 time per second even less matching this rate with the maximum rate you could get input with WASD keys would prevent using too much bandwith and would be on par with mouse click.

#11 2019-05-12 22:22:31

FeignedSanity

I guess that makes sense. I suppose since not everyone uses hetuw, and not even all of those use WASD, it doesn't cause a problem. But it might if everyone was doing it?

I would hope that Jason could find a compromise and include it in the game. I'll have to look up the github request later.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-12 22:22:44)

#12 2019-05-12 22:25:07

Greep

It's a year and a half old xD  https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/pull/18

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#13 2019-05-13 01:09:50

wondible

An answer from Jason: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=141 (Search was pretty useful this time.)

Last edited by wondible (2019-05-13 02:08:44)

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#14 2019-05-13 01:31:11

FeignedSanity

@Greep
Nice, thanks for doing the work for me. Shame, it looks like he's going to just keep it as a mod. That's a damn right shame. Oh well.

@wondible
Oh yeah, search works now, huh? I think your link is bad though. I found it here https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=141 (not id=41)

I know literally next to nothing about what's going on under the hood, but would giving everyone WASD controls really put that much strain on the server load? I feel like he's already made a lot of great strides to really optimize it. Maybe the game is at a point where it could handle it?

He did say leaving at as mod "for now". He also said "maybe" when asked on forums. Maybe I submit a new github request and see if he's changed his mind?

#15 2019-05-13 14:33:31

lychee

@FeignedSanity

It's probably doable, although it really just depends on how Jason's bandwidth cap (and how much money is willing to spend there).

When you use wasd and push down an arrow key, your client sends multiple requests per second to the server.

In contrast, if you click, the server can path your character to a destination with only a single request.

Most people don't click as fast as they push arrow keys, so the total number of requests (bandwidth) is a lot lighter on the server using clicks. This will pretty much always be the case no matter how you optimize it (e.g. reducing the sampling rate on key presses). The only real way to address it is to get a bigger server/better hosting plan.

#16 2019-05-13 18:19:42

FeignedSanity

@lychee

Yeah, that makes sense. Big server can host like 600 people but hardly ever has more than a couple hundred, so I figured maybe the system could handle it now that he's done all that optimizing. I was thinking about seeing if he's changed his mind, but I'll probably just leave it how it is.

Board footer