One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-28 20:53:57

Uncle Gus

Would you consider adding WASD controls?

I find the clicking to move a little janky at times, especially when around trees.

#2 2018-02-28 23:26:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Would you consider adding WASD controls?

Maybe... it has a lot to do with the protocol and responsiveness, though.

All the protocol stuff is based on submitting a PATH to the server, not a state.  So you're not "moving left," but instead "walking to this spot, along this path."  That dramatically reduces the number of messages sent to the server---and to other players---when you're walking around.

Furthermore, in more complicated environments, with walls and doors, the pathfinding is MUCH easier to use than WASD.  You just click where you want to go, and it goes there, even navigating complicated mazes for you automatically, even if it has to navigate OFF SCREEN in order to get where you want to go.

Finally, even for simple navigation currently, you can click the object that you want to interact with from across the screen, and you will walk there and do it.  Your character will walk around stuff along the way, and just get there and do what you want to do.

It really is pretty nice, once you get used to it.  You don't micro-manage the character, but instead issue high-level instructions and let the character do the walking for you.

If you need to eat, all you have to do is click a distant berry bush.  You will walk there and pick a berry!

#3 2018-03-01 01:51:59

jere

Same reason you see mouse pathing and no arrow keys in games like League of Legends, I think.

#4 2018-03-01 11:16:46

jamesveitch

I'd love WASD controls.

#5 2018-03-05 01:07:09

Uncle Gus

Since you're sending a path to the server, could you not just send a path to two squares to the <direction> until you let go of the key and then send a path to where you already are?

#6 2018-03-05 01:46:20

katastic

>It really is pretty nice, once you get used to it.  You don't micro-manage the character, but instead issue high-level instructions and let the character do the walking for you.

Except it's super easy to accidentally click on a bush, tree, or whatever and get lagged or, start a long queued process like taking apart a tree.

It'd be nice if the mouse movement, once started a "run", wouldn't pickup clicks from objects, until you let go of the mouse click and click again. That is "click and hold" won't accidentally pickup an object while you're running.

#7 2018-03-05 03:20:11

iluxanster

I guess this precludes being able to use a controller like the Steam Controller as well, right?

Unless it's used as a mouse pointer?

#8 2018-03-05 04:09:14

Twinsen

katastic wrote:

>...Except it's super easy to accidentally click on a bush, tree, or whatever and get lagged or, start a long queued process like taking apart a tree.

It'd be nice if the mouse movement, once started a "run", wouldn't pickup clicks from objects, until you let go of the mouse click and click again. That is "click and hold" won't accidentally pickup an object while you're running.

I read another post where Jason said that mouse click is better as the game will auto navigate for you and I agree with this part when you move inside a dense forest. However, I hope the "click and hold" will become a valid feature as I hate running through farms and pick up carrots by accident.

#9 2018-03-05 04:11:49

Uncle Gus

My only problem is when running through forests. God, that's a nightmare. Add a bear to the mix and you're in for some frustration.

#10 2018-03-10 12:13:00

Persona

To mediate some of these issues w/o adding WASD - I was thinking: allow players to hold SHIFT to issue strictly movement commands.

Would make running through forests, and running to items and berries much easier, can then even investigate increasing the priority of the pickup command when not holding shift in certain situations.
[i.e - I think when player has 3 or less hunger points, any click remotely around food should have highest priority to pickup fooditem, maybe even an auto-eat ... your famished and starving right??]

Last edited by Persona (2018-03-10 12:38:11)

#11 2018-03-10 16:49:01

Daebak

If this suggestion does happen to succeed, add ZQSD from azerty keyboard users into a settings option. This only if it's not much work. I understand there is only a grain of countries only using this keyboard. But our struggle will be solved for this game. <3

#12 2018-03-11 15:00:04

johnnielittleshoes

Daebak wrote:

If this suggestion does happen to succeed, add ZQSD from azerty keyboard users into a settings option.

This would probably be changeable in a .ini file.

#13 2018-03-14 09:09:36

Bluh

Since game is Open Source I implemented it myself as abstraction to mouse clicks.

Mouse clicks are simply simulated in direction of a key. If that place is unwalkable next one is chosen to a certain threshold. So even if You go strait to a tree your character just goes around. It simply uses in-game path finding. I wrote it in a way that even if click would pickup an object You just walk to the place. It's very handy when You walk where a lot of thing laying on the ground.

Using mouse works normally.

When typing walking is inactive, until You close typing window.

Plus I added certain delay, to avoid spamming the server with commands. It's close to time that take to walk from one map cell to another. I still need to make sure that I would not introduce more lag issues if I would make it accessible to all. Don't wanna brake a game smile I know that You can click and drag mouse to move. Maybe I should do something similar. For now it's more like clicking every step. However I'm not sure if it's really that good way of sending data to server. Just don't know.

I also thinking about implementing shortcut for accessing backpack and maybe some more...
For now I just have Linux version. It works with official servers, however I need to merge it and recompile if new versions come out.

I also wander if Jason would make it a part of a main game If it would work good enough. I saw in settings this file https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … htKeys.ini
But it maybe just for Editor. I also find that 'E' button is there (I think like right click, but didn't find it working even with this setting on)

I need to figure out how to compile for Windows / Mac yet.

PS.: Maybe I would be able to play game without mouse all together. I know Jason said MAYBE to moving game to smartphones:
https://mb.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggesti … artphones/

What controls would be there?

Last edited by Bluh (2018-03-14 09:22:05)

#14 2018-03-18 10:45:51

Bluh

Daebak wrote:

If this suggestion does happen to succeed, add ZQSD from azerty keyboard users into a settings option.

Loading this setting from ini file would require significant change in a way keys are interpreted. I don't wanna do that since that's not my code and wanna make as little changes as possible, mainly just adding things since I don't know If that kind of change woudn't mess up with editor or Jason. However You can also move with IKJL keys - should be good enough.

If anyway is interested in this mod PM me. I don't wanna put it to the open since it potentially could result in higher lag. Not sure tho I tried to send a s few calls to server as possible.

I'm playing with WSAD keys for a week now and after a few tweaks they works really good. I think it is even possible to play with a controller if You would use something that changes joystick inputs to key presses.

Picking up and using things are not that simple however - I may do that in a future.

#15 2018-03-18 11:28:46

Joriom
Website

I have better idea than WASD.

Lets have "MOVE" button on keyboard or allow us to use middle mouse button for that - ignoring items on tile. So - if you want to stand on a tile behind a large tree - you can just hold they "move" key while clicking or middle click. This way you're safe while running away not to stop to take pines out of tree while chased by a bear or PK.

This does not fix strange pathfinding sometimes taking you into bears or stuff though.

Board footer