One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-11 03:05:15

Toxic
Banned

The future of OHOL! (GRIEFERS HEAVEN)

Ok so as it seems, bloody swords are coming into the game. Twisted doesn't like this idea and some other community members don't. But Jason do you really want me to have a relapse, i have finally been playing normally and now you think about adding this. It will be too much for me to resist going to another village who can't understand me or curse me and having no killing cooldown timer. Im just saying if you don't change this it will be a primary griefer weapon. SO PLEASE JASON DO NOT ADD THIS!!!!

image.png

He is also adding pregnant belly or something i don't care about that.

image.png
This confirms the addition of swords and i haven't hopped on yet but languages already differ. Thats cool lol people not being able to understand you!!

Last edited by Toxic (2019-05-11 03:05:32)

#2 2019-05-11 03:20:12

Spoonwood

Re: The future of OHOL! (GRIEFERS HEAVEN)

Someone runs the roller just to make a war sword.  You were one steel pipe short from drilling for oil, because someone decided to make a war sword.  Water crisis ensues.  All war swords will be made by griefers and griefers only.  This update encourages griefing, NOT people playing for their lineages.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-05-11 03:47:43

Toxic
Banned

Also, because all gingers have similar skins i can easily camouflage myself. Most races have people looking the same lol. The game looks really bad like that he really needs to make a bunch of characters. Atleast 5 per race or even more.

#4 2019-05-11 08:53:13

TofuInjection

The whole point of OHOL for me is a community working together.  This update is the polar opposite of that.  Race wars?  Restricted communication?  What is going on here?

#5 2019-05-11 10:47:24

MultiLife

Ugh, a magical war sword that only hurts people not related to you with no cooldown. This is like the damn elder stone thing with the level of magic going on.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2019-05-11 10:49:58

Averest

I think I'm just gonna sit this update out.

#7 2019-05-11 11:14:07

FeignedSanity

Averest wrote:

Where's the fun in that? Things are going to get crazy tongue

Also, he added the pregnant belly as a "just in case I feel like adding it in the future" thing.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#8 2019-05-11 11:37:28

lychee

FeignedSanity wrote:
Averest wrote:

Where's the fun in that? Things are going to get crazy tongue

A lot of people play games for different reasons -- like there are people who only like to play PvE games and refuse to play PvP, and then there are people who are the exact opposite.

For OHOL, there's a good fraction of the community who play because they like the /love and fluffy feeling of "we did something awesome together"; and they hate the idea of personally picking up swords/knives and stabbing people. I don't really like killing -- even in games -- and I wouldn't play a game that forces me to do so.

The world is sad enough already.

I kinda want to play a game that fills me with optimism, love, and hope; not cynicism, stress, and suspicion.

#9 2019-05-11 11:44:56

Potjeh

There is no future. Just played a game, and the number of babies has dropped dramatically. I was the only girl, and I didn't get a single baby girl, not even a SIDS one, so my family died out. Looks like people are quitting en masse.

#10 2019-05-11 12:47:54

karltown_veteran

Do you guys remember when we all freaked out because we had to hoe soil and towns started struggling? That worked out, didn't it?
And do you guys remember when the nosaj apocalypse came out and it turned out to be really hard to create? We still yelled over that. This update isn't that game changing, calm down.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#11 2019-05-11 12:48:13

FeignedSanity

Potjeh wrote:

There is no future. Just played a game, and the number of babies has dropped dramatically. I was the only girl, and I didn't get a single baby girl, not even a SIDS one, so my family died out. Looks like people are quitting en masse.

Really? I just played a game with like 20 people in the city. Things seem normal to me. The only thing out of the ordinary is that I stabbed some stupid moo for constantly fucking me up and getting in my way my whole life. They never said anything when I tried to talk to them, so they probably didn't speak English. Not sorry.

#12 2019-05-11 12:53:42

FeignedSanity

@lychee

But that's the beautiful thing about this game, you can have both. One game will be all "lovey, family, warm, hope, fuzzy", and the next may be all "dark, bleak, dangerous, exciting/depressing, maybe even gut wrenching". You may even quit from disgust, but you still felt something. That's what this game is meant to do.

The world is sad, but there's also a lot of happiness in it. Way too much that I'd want to say on this, so I'll end it here.

#13 2019-05-11 13:11:48

futurebird

FeignedSanity wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

Really? I just played a game with like 20 people in the city. Things seem normal to me. The only thing out of the ordinary is that I stabbed some stupid moo for constantly fucking me up and getting in my way my whole life. They never said anything when I tried to talk to them, so they probably didn't speak English. Not sorry.

Server population seems totally normal:
http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report

I'm sitting out this update too. I'm annoyed about the every family being the same race thing. I mean in ginger and black towns there is only ONE kind of guy. All the men are identical. But, also just the whole "race war" theme of this update (now different races can't talk to each other! And no more diversity! And here is a bugged sword so you can play genocide! reduce resources and move everyone close together!) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And as others have pointed out it's pretty wack that black people are as rare as gingers, something more easy to ignore when you don't have single skin tone towns.

By the way, and easy way to get 3 new black character models would be to just add a skin tone between the darkest color and the medium brown and use the same art for the dark-skinned black folks. It need not be a ton of work.

But then I'm a black chick whose husband is a ginger dude, so maybe my perspective in "warped" /s

And yeah I do like the co-operation aspect of the game there aren't a lot of game that do that. I also like that it isn't a world of enforced niceness, but I'm not thrilled with this update even though the whole language idea sounded cool.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#14 2019-05-11 13:48:38

lychee

FeignedSanity wrote:

@lychee

But that's the beautiful thing about this game, you can have both. One game will be all "lovey, family, warm, hope, fuzzy", and the next may be all "dark, bleak, dangerous, exciting/depressing, maybe even gut wrenching". You may even quit from disgust, but you still felt something. That's what this game is meant to do.

The world is sad, but there's also a lot of happiness in it. Way too much that I'd want to say on this, so I'll end it here.

I see what you're saying, and I think it's cool too that this game can evoke a variety of meaningful emotions.

However, I think it's important to really balance those elements.

I like how OHOL has the potential to simulate crime, etc. However, if no one takes the game seriously and instead everyone runs around murdering people with a genocide "for the lols" -- there's really no emotional attachment for me anymore.

People aren't killing each other in this game because it benefits them or because they're forced to (as they would in real life).

Rather, people run around killing each other because they find it fun.

And to me, that's really immersion-breaking.

I'm fine with the occasional serial-killer or mass-murderer, but I wouldn't want to see this become the main feature of the game where everyone runs around killing and killing and killing for no other reason other than killing is fun. That just isn't the kind of game that I would want to play.

Last edited by lychee (2019-05-11 13:50:42)

#15 2019-05-11 14:26:37

FeignedSanity

@ lychee

Yeah, I can agree with that.

@futurebird

LOL, the whole "race wars" thing never really crossed my mind. I think that would be fun, personally. But that's because race isn't a big deal to me. It's not something sacred that needs to be revered. I understand that a lot of people don't share that sentiment and also harbor feelings of resentment and the like. Well, no matter what your view, you can't say it's boring big_smile

#16 2019-05-11 15:24:48

RedComb

I just bought this game recently. I'm relatively new and still learning.

I have enjoyed what I've played so far, but I got this game because I was interested in the warm fuzzy feeling and optimism that Lychee describes. I like building stuff, working cooperatively with people (but doing my own thing), and I find the brevity of a life really interesting (and have been happy to be reincarnated in places I was much earlier and see all the progress people have made, more on that later...).

Most of what I've played so far has seemed really chill and I have been impressed with the community, with their willingness to teach and be patient with somebody who is new. It's been a great change of pace from the typical online interactions one can expect in a video game, excepting a few of the asshats who are always going to be encountered in an online setting (but that's still a pretty good ratio all things considered).

Anyway, to the dev... I know you have your particular vision for what you intend for this game and what you desire, but I personally didn't buy this game for a bunch of pvp griefer nonsense. There is enough of that kind of thing out there already. You might think this will make lineages mean more or something, but I just don't see that happening. All I see is frustration and stress, which is a shame because what sets your game apart isn't the things that will make it a griefer paradise: it's how it allows people to socialize, work cooperatively, and enjoy seeing the progress made from their collective effort; and it's a good feeling of accomplishing something amidst the challenges put in front of you. Allowing a player with a war sword to show up and just massacre a whole community is antithetical to this feeling of collective accomplishment.

I hope you really reconsider what kind of game you want this to be, because as Raph Koster points out, pvp players play to crush and shame others and those kinds of games attract far less players and drive "average players" away because "shame sucks" and "humiliation online is a lousy game that you don't want to play!"

At the very least, if you are deadset on this war sword nonsense, you should consider implementing different servers with different rulesets so pve "carebears" can play in relative peace. Let the wolves eat themselves. I guarantee they won't stay on a pvp server for long because time and time again, every game with FFA pvp shows that wolves don't bother showing up in any great number unless they have sheep to slaughter. They get off on being jerks and raining on people's parade and all you are doing with the war sword and eliciting racial conflict and xenophobia is enabling this kind of predatory behavior.

It's a real letdown to see this change. If this is the direction this title is going and you think it's a great idea, I feel like I wasted my money and I'm pretty salty.

Finally, I was 15th generation born into the "Queen" family. I had a good life, but my lineage depth only went to two. I wasn't sure if that line survived because of how the family tree displays info, but I was delighted this morning to get born into that family again and was amazed by how much the town had developed. It's probably nothing to seasoned players, but having seen it at a much earlier stage, it was really cool to see what 15 more generations had accomplished.

When I was only 7, just barely having a look around the town, a group of war sword wielding players showed up, stabbed me and killed everybody in the nursery. This was traumatic, nobody was expecting it or had anything to defend themselves with. I realize you and others will say "well, then players will learn to adapt," but again, many of us aren't playing this game to feel on edge. To be inherently distrustful of every person we encounter. I don't want to play a game that makes me suspicious of other races, other people, and hate strangers. I deal with enough of that kind of bigotry in the real world and I'm playing a game to relax, not to be on edge.

If I wanted FFA pvp and griefing, I'd go back to playing ARK on a pvp server (over 400+ hours there), or just pvp in general, I'd go WvW in GW2 (thousands of hours there).

HUMILIATION ONLINE SUCKS AND IF YOU WANT TO DESIGN A GAME WHERE GRIEFERS CRUSH PEOPLE AND CELEBRATE DEFEAT, THEN I THREW MY MONEY AWAY AND YOU SHOULD BE MORE UPFRONT ABOUT WHAT STYLE OF GAME THIS IS ON THE STEAM STORE PAGE. I had no impression of any of this from Twisted's YT videos or the Steam Store page. Yes I saw some murders and things, but the cursing system seemed to be enough of a deterrent to deal with some of that. Now, all bets are off and you are going to drive away a lot of your players in the long run.

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-11 15:31:08)

#17 2019-05-11 15:51:39

breezeknight

i started to move away from the game again after the last food update, tomatos & stuff, where all the improvements made with the carrots stacking update went out the window, next update was the clothing, where poopocalypse arrived, then came the magical fences update, more clutter mainly & people using zoom mods more than ever before, from there i stopped playing alltogether, after that came wells update (don't need one), now all the experiences with equality of races this game evoked are out the window as well, some additional speech gymnastics (as if this game wasn't hard enough as it was) & on top bloody swords killing, again, magically only those from other race

OHOL was already since months mainly not what was & still is advertised, but now it's just misleading

cause this game is about killing & griefing, everything else, some sort of a civil life is cast aside for drama kicks

no thank you

i'll stay away until there are several updates which bring some order into the chaos present & some reason to make me waste one hour of my RL life on it
& should those updates never come, then ok, the game was interesting while the last of reason resided

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-05-11 15:52:22)

#18 2019-05-11 16:41:01

Averest

While not a prolific killer, I've done my share when it's needed to protect the town. I've taken my share of curses for it too. I'm just sitting this out for a while and I'll see what happens. If I like what I see, I'll be back. If not, I got my money's worth at somewhere around 700 hours.

It's a beautiful Spring day and I've got some projects like laying a new walkway and making a buttermilk pie, after all, and an hour of chaos cannot compare pie.

So yeah my life is essentially OHOL.

#19 2019-05-11 18:10:35

futurebird

Feeling much the same as Averest and Breeze. This seems like a good point for a break. I don't mind the game having some mayhem and murder, but it seems to be moving towards being some kind of factions and invading game with bad racial optics and I don't need that in my gaming time. I mean the fact that so many games are focused on raiding and killing and little else is why I don't really play a lot of game. That just isn't as interesting to me as finding a more efficient way to solve a problem with other people who really care about you and your town. I'm terrified to log on to the main server tbh.

Really it's not the killing though, it's the lack of diversity in families and "kill the outsider" vibe. I'm an outsider IRL and it just kinda stresses me out and isn't really fun. So, time for a break. It seems like lots of people are having a good time with this update so I won't get in the way.

---
omnem cibum costis

#20 2019-05-11 18:37:21

Amon

This is one of the first updates I was partially scared to play.
Usualyl do play ohol to just chill out really.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#21 2019-05-12 02:38:19

seth

futurebird wrote:

Really it's not the killing though, it's the lack of diversity in families and "kill the outsider" vibe. I'm an outsider IRL and it just kinda stresses me out and isn't really fun. So, time for a break.

Thanks for sharing that - I hope the vibe of the game stays fairly chill.. I had a great experience with the language barrier aspect, so I'm hopeful it will continue to be.. then again I haven't encountered swords yet..

#22 2019-05-12 04:51:03

Toxic
Banned

Well it still makes a new sense of drama in this game, which some enjoy and some dislike.

#23 2019-05-12 07:48:57

Psykout

What I wish is that things like trade and wars happened organically because the mechanics are diverse enough to allow us to build that up. Think of No Man's Sky, they didn't make a system to get players to make governments and a central system to congregate in and explore from, the players did it because it was plausible. This pressure to play the game in a way we are being told to, feels awful. Adding a weapon that can be used only on people outside of your family, making it so you can't understand someone outside of your family and making it so you can't curse someone outside your family is a hefty trifecta. It screams, do things the way I want you to, and it feels like its straying away from the original feeling of the game we have been playing for over a year or so. It would feel more palatable if we as players invested into this direction rather than it being shoved down our throats. At the minimum the language update should have been spaced out from swords by a few weeks at least.

Although I did really get a chuckle out of the thought that hearing a bell suddenly went from, ooh a town close enough that has been around long enough to build a bell is calling for others to join them and keep it going, to in one day to being....
W3NQtVp.jpg

#24 2019-05-12 17:14:21

Léonard

Psykout wrote:

What I wish is that things like trade and wars happened organically because the mechanics are diverse enough to allow us to build that up.

Amen to that.

Psykout wrote:

This pressure to play the game in a way we are being told to, feels awful.
[...]
It screams, do things the way I want you to, and it feels like its straying away from the original feeling of the game we have been playing for over a year or so. It would feel more palatable if we as players invested into this direction rather than it being shoved down our throats.

Quoted for basic truth.
You basically described the definition of the word "contrived" there and I thank you for correctly realizing and pointing this out.

#25 2019-05-12 17:23:01

futurebird

Agree. I know I come across as a bit of a peace-nick, but I'll fight for the right reason. And there ARE reasons. People have disagreements. Things get stolen. I was chasing this woman down in a recent life who was kidnapping kids who had backpacks because she wanted one and her idea was to starve them in the woods and take it. Tried to do it to me, so I grew up and killed her. That was FUN and intense and it came out of the actions of players and natural conflict.

---
omnem cibum costis

Board footer