One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-28 11:33:19

Toxic
Banned

The Hate Against Griefing

Again and again I see people hating on griefers. Which is important it would bad if people didn’t hate griefers. I just think that banning me or any other griefer isn’t the solution (I hope Jason thinks this too). I wouldn’t mind if griefing was made harder it would make it more enjoyable. But then I see these crazy posts like making a new server for griefers.

This however is just dumb, you pay $20 not for the game but access to the main servers. If Jason does decide to ban griefers he will have to refund our money too. I’m not saying that Jason would care about refunding the money but he would feel as if he failed if he banned us. Jason wants people to be able to fight griefers he wants police men or SAFETY OFFICERS I saw a post about this recently which was good. Most of the time I’m successful in griefing a town is because that town has no idea that im killing them. Griefing isn’t as straight forward as people think it takes skill and if it took more skill I would like it.

I personally have bought 3 accounts for this game which is $60. This is not just because I have curses on my account it’s also because I want to support Jason. I know people are going to say that I’m ruining this game by griefing and I’m turning people away from it.
But I think I’m not im normally only griefing once or twice a week and I like to play the game normally otherwise. I sometime enjoy griefing and thats how I like the game. I would buy new accounts just for the sole purpose of helping Jason rather then donating money via patron or whatever he uses.

Then again if I’m in a town and I tell them I’m Toxic some people are like “OMG! I’m a huge fan!” Then a few seconds later half the town is stabbing me and I’m getting cursed by everyone.

#2 2019-04-28 11:56:47

Bob 101

Re: The Hate Against Griefing

Was that you I met in donkey town, "Smart" "family"

The mum was pretty chill and the bro was a bit of a dumbass.

Bro didn't take it that seriously which is fair enough, I did a little just to pass the time.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-04-28 11:59:32)

#3 2019-04-28 12:05:22

Guppy

"If Jason does decide to ban griefers he will have to refund our money too"

Every multiplayer game ive ever played had a policy of removing "the bad" if they kept on being "bad". Why should Jason have to refund money if he does the same?

#4 2019-04-28 12:35:58

st2019

"Get reborn" button > Griefers

I'm an expert for: Sharp Stones

#5 2019-04-28 12:53:05

Psykout

Not sure if the hatred is towards griefers or just you Toxic. Too many actions to attract attention, eyesore use of capitals, boasting and bragging all the time. Clickbait topic titles, overly emotional and irrational when reprimanded or called out. Streamsniping and cursing the streamer,  even bragging about that on the forums, thats not griefing anymore. You are not a griefer, you are just a pain in the ass and a menace to those around you.

You are are taking Jason's words about griefing and his views on it, and twisting them to suit yourself. Once in awhile to let off some steam, and take a few screws out and see what happens, is more of what I believe he had in mind. To make it your common playstyle, a mercenary of your own discord, is a different matter. To view attacking a specific person through the mechanics of the game as an achievement is very saddening. To see your metric of success being how many in a day can you topple is maddening. Not only because you have done these actions, but celebrated them, has rotten most value of what you could ever bring to the discussion.

Personally, I am rather indifferent to the whole mess and you. I just grow tired of this becoming a constant front page of the forums topic. Way too much negativity, dozens of threads, just bury the damn horse.

#6 2019-04-28 13:32:54

Dodge

It's only something temporary, right now the game is unbalanced in favor of "griefers" for several reasons.

Medical means are too basic, cant carry pads so no official medics in the game which means murders are too easy, also there could be something like morphine to extend wounded time, to have more time to heal etc.

Cant put a murderer in prison (cant carry them or use lasso or handcuffs), so no proper trials.

Not many weapons especially long range and fully portable like a revolver or pistol etc (this would be in favor of griefers also but combined with better medicine would benefit non murderers more, more weapons = easier to defend village).

Killing someone on murder cool down gives murder cool down, this one is debatable but in my opinion only promotes murder chain and should be removed, if you stab a murderer  you shouldnt have a murder cool down.

No armor, this also could benefit murderers too, but since there are more non murderers it would benefit the non murderers more since they would have more time to group together and fight  against the murderer, strenght in number.

Fighting system is not great, this goes for both ways, but currently fighting system isn't great mainly because right click is the same to drop the object, imagine trying to shoot someone moving with a revolver or even bow it's very unpractical and frustrating even knife fights look comical sometimes.

Once it's balanced there will be a lot less complaining against griefers, since people will die a lot less and murderers would get a worse treatment than just stab/shot then respawn.

#7 2019-04-28 15:37:46

DestinyCall

Toxic wrote:

I wouldn’t mind if griefing was made harder it would make it more enjoyable. But then I see these crazy posts like making a new server for griefers.

Hmmm ...  Toxic thinks it is a bad idea.  Must be a good idea!

#8 2019-04-28 20:43:05

Dantox

What are you seeking is ruining others people experience and fun for you to gain it only yourself, flexing about it in the forums and even talking as yourself as some kind of celebrity speaks more about you than those you kill in the game. The world would be nicer without criminals and the game would be nicer without griefers, the difference here is that in the game griefing or anything related to it could be reduced a lot if it werent for some ideals that has Jason. trying to excuse yourself or the direction of the game with making people as a "police" is just a lazy solution for a much bigger problem. Most communitys doesnt like griefers and certainly no one likes the ones that like to brag about it like some kind of achievement for making someones day a little worse

make bread, no war

#9 2019-04-29 01:10:53

GreatShawn

see? This chicken is so worried that he's getting banned that he tried to make sure jason doesn't ban him with lies when jason wouldn't care if he banned someone. Even though he might think he "failed" (Accroding to a confirmed greifer), It wouldn't last for long because the rest of us would rejoice!

#10 2019-04-29 02:51:08

pein

i mean, allowing people to do something then punishing for it is quite bad game mechanic to be fair big_smile

you hate them cause they grief, or you call them greifer cause you hate them
anyway you are a griefer yourself in other peoples eyes
basically everyone wants to force opinion on others and some people are more sensitive

i hate griefers who are lazy, like get your own damn bow to kill me

i also hate people who make mistakes and refuse to communicate after
and sponges who don't do nothing

truth is that you get bored of people who call you griefer
like other life a chick makes an 1x2 cow pen and i took the corn from it cause i wanted cow piss
calls me "pseudo griefer" cause i stole her corn
what she didn't produce
i had to put the bison in a small biome so we don't have it in a pen, no use of it
1x2 has only one place for a cow, and then i need to dismantle her pen to get more dead cows for piss and yellow paint
her plan was to take the bison i shot and it's totally ok to steal the bison but not ok to take a corn
eventually i got the bison home and made piss, and she still didn't see why she was wrong about it
sure, it's just a different opinion, i could spend time to explain but she doesn't even listen to it cause she does her pen in a "traditional way"
often times people want to kill you then they are mad cause you don't let them and if they attempt to kill them they run in middle of city acting all innocent

there are people who lure bears to the city to reduce population
griefers? maybe
but that helps to kill off some unskilled people and smarter people get the clothes so it's a win
like i can even work with a bear in town, i will kill it when the female counter goes under 4
sure i could act as hero and kill the bear lurer and the bear but why would i?
am i griefer for ignoring it?
it's ok to run in town yelling "bear" and stress berry munching while a bear attacks or you could solve the situation maybe
isn't it griefing to pop 10 babies and don't produce any food?
lot of reasoning against others comes from opinions

i think Datruff was makign an effort and creative way to breed pitbulls, and hilarious way of killing a town
sure if it's a town with a good future it's annoying
but it's still not something you cant prevent or defend against

the other day someone killed Tarr
she was making a stone building on the jungle above us and sshe cursed a kid for running away
the kid came back as a boy and stab her
i dint kill the guy, i didn't know it's Tarr, maybe even if i know, i don't kill the guy, cause what he said was honest and made sense
that he kill her for cursing him
sure it's an opinion that you curse runaway babies, i don't agree but it's your tokens
i knew the guy wont hurt me or others
killing him would have been an overreaction an wont bring back Tarr, none of my business
i had lifes when i knew it's Tarr, and he choose to kill a guy for talking shit
i trust his opinion and stay out of it or help him if i see it's right
i know he wont kill me if i don't do dumb stuff

is it griefing? sideing with others sounds more like griefing to me
my mom wants me to kill someone i kill my mom rather if i find out that she is the drama queen

it's a thing saying that you don't grief, it's an other to say you don't piss others off by your actions

some people would kill you for taking them into nursery cause "you abandoned me"
when the whole premise of the game is that you are a helpless baby for 3 min and others need to take care of you
sure it's something that we do out of pity, courtesy

considering yourself a griefer and griefing every game is not nice, it's still your choice
you can still do fun things if you cooperate with others
if someone convinces others to curse, i curse her instead if i find out she just doing it for the lullz or cause butthurt for 30 min

we can find ways to prevent griefers, one thing would be more things to do in game, and some non lethal way of combat
would i kill someone if i can just beat him and remove his rights for having a weapon? probably no

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-04-29 03:10:08

Turnipseed

Dear Toxic,

I greatly appreciate you not using caps lock on this title. Thankyou very much.

-Turnip

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#12 2019-04-29 03:45:36

Stylingirl

Ya'll keep giving him the attention he wants by reacting to his threads so he keeps making more. If you want him to stop, then you can just ignore him and not post the replies he wants.

#13 2019-04-29 06:35:50

Toxic
Banned

Stylingirl wrote:

Ya'll keep giving him the attention he wants by reacting to his threads so he keeps making more. If you want him to stop, then you can just ignore him and not post the replies he wants.

This most positively what I’m traying to teall these peopeless. Y’all giv’n me hate.

#14 2019-04-29 06:42:26

CatX

pein wrote:

i mean, allowing people to do something then punishing for it is quite bad game mechanic to be fair big_smile

Well, it seems to me Jason's philosophy is to give the community the tools to deal with griefers and let us decide what happens to them, and the argument of those of us sick of griefing is simply that the tools aren't refined enough in the current version.

Also, please refer to the definition of griefing in the original post in this thread.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 127#p56127

pein wrote:

but that helps to kill off some unskilled people and smarter people get the clothes so it's a win
like i can even work with a bear in town, i will kill it when the female counter goes under 4
sure i could act as hero and kill the bear lurer and the bear but why would i?

You sound like a hard nail, but you don't sound like a griefer according to the definition we use.

Not being a hero is not the same as randomly playing to destroy towns.

And sure, people throw around the word 'griefer' to mean a lot of things, Futurebird addresses this in the beginning of the post I linked to.

Personally I don't use the mod, so I wouldn't know what the counter is.

pein wrote:

Then I'd say you have uncovered another problem with the mechanics of the game: It takes too long to make clothes for everyone, or they decay too soon. Or perhaps it would help if there as another way to get backpacks than using rabbit fur. How about being able to sew cut rabbit pelts onto baskets, to get a simplified backpack with three items. A lot more rabbit fur would be spent towards clothing.

pein wrote:

would i kill someone if i can just beat him and remove his rights for having a weapon? probably no

Excellent point. I miss a non-lethal way of combat as well.
I mean, I certainly don't want to practice killing in order to get good at it...! I just might join in a practice session with a baton and a willing 'vicitim' though.

pein wrote:

i hate griefers who are lazy, like get your own damn bow to kill me

I don't hate people who are lazy.
I work hard to keep towns running. But even so, I wouldn't even mind a person who just hangs around the berries and eats a little now and then.
If that person seems to be a griefer who eats as much as possible in order to destroy a fragile food economy of a struggling town, that is if I think it's fair to deduce that they have malicious intent, of course that's a different matter.
Not saying you're wrong about it Pein, just pointing out that I think differently.

But the thing is, I've never seen any posts from people on this forum saying "I'm so sick of all the people who just hang around and don't contribute that now I can't play the game anymore. I have to take a pause. Maybe I'll be back later."

Sure, there are people annoyed with RP, there are people annoyed with unskilled players.

But the way griefing (please refer to the definition in the other thread) seems to make people want to quit, is troubling.

Because the people who seem to want to quit are the people I'd love to play with.

#15 2019-04-29 06:53:23

Toxic
Banned

And you Cat X like to play with raging quitters. So I assume you are a quitter.

#16 2019-04-29 07:01:33

CatX

I wish you could join the discussion in a constructive way, Toxic. Perhaps there is a way make the mechanics of the game such that it has more room for different play styles. But we'll never find it if those of you who are more pvp inclined spend your time bragging about how you griefed towns instead of coming up with solutions.

Board footer