One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-27 13:44:23

CatX

I helped a new player today

I helped a new player today.

It was his second life. He was killed in the first one.

I showed him how to make compost. Then how to farm carrots and wheat. I told him to carry a pie in his backpack, and always bring food with him if he could. I showed him other things he could eat besides berries, like milk and stew.

Not bragging. I just decided to show the community that some of us do like helping.
Maybe the griefer threads can be buried in threads like this one.

What good did you do today?

#2 2019-04-27 20:36:53

futurebird

Re: I helped a new player today

Nice. Did you teach by talking or by showing mostly?

Some of the time people ask me how to do something and I show them and I feel like they don't notice. Now I tend to say "watch" I have real issues with talking in game since I touch type but it takes a moment to get my hands ready. (my keyboard is blank...) So some of the time I "say" something and it's like

"upidjoi;f fp ot yjod esu"

maybe I should get a more normal keyboard

(but blank keyboards look so metal like you are a serious haxx0r)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-27 20:41:06

CatX

I don't learn myself by listening. So I make them do it smile

#4 2019-04-27 22:18:42

Guppy

Whenever i teach someone, they starve somewhere in the process

#5 2019-04-27 22:22:01

CatX

Yeah...
Teach them first rule, remember to eat.
Then feed them if necessary smile

#6 2019-04-27 22:37:18

LodiaVDH

I talk so much about this game that a friend of mine bought it and I just had a my first lesson with him on an unofficial server. It was so much fun ! I only told him how to start a camp (kiln, bowls, berries) but we plan on doing it again for the rest smile

#7 2019-04-28 01:38:56

DestinyCall

Guppy wrote:

Whenever i teach someone, they starve somewhere in the process

My first teaching point is always "this is a bowl of berries.  Do not forget to eat."

Then, I watch them like hawk and stuff some berries in them if they forget to eat.   It doesn't take that long for them to learn and berry bowls are a decent food source for exploring children.   I save the pies for a later lesson, if the player lives long enough and is interested in learning more things.

#8 2019-04-28 02:22:52

futurebird

I'm a teach some of the time IRL and the idea of students who just drop dead all the time is both disturbing and amusing.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-04-28 03:29:45

DestinyCall

You mean your real life students are not so engaged by your teaching methods that they forget to eat or drink?

Maybe you need to up your game.   smile

#10 2019-04-28 09:25:09

MultiLife

Nice!

It was terrible to see a new player in a YouTuber's video, standing in the middle of the town and saying "I'm new. I don't know how to farm" and EVERYBODY ignoring her. There is only so many times they dare to ask, we should really drop things that aren't vital right then and go help them get started. We need more players and teaching a person is an investment which is the most valuable thing we can do, as the knowledge carries on to infinite lives they play.

Do you know why the newbie got killed in their first life?

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-04-28 09:26:40)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2019-04-28 10:37:33

CatX

MultiLife wrote:

It was terrible to see a new player in a YouTuber's video, standing in the middle of the town and saying "I'm new. I don't know how to farm" and EVERYBODY ignoring her.

I find it can be very challenging to take proper care of new players in Eve towns, or towns that are falling apart.

But Twisted seems to do a good job of it in his YT videos.

Part of why I decided to try the game myself was because of how he always treats new people with kindness.

MultiLife wrote:

Nice!
Do you know why the newbie got killed in their first life?

No, he just mentioned it in passing. There seemed to be some drama off screen, and I was old and put my backpack on the ground and told him to swap. Mine had a knife. I told him to carry the knife so possible killers couldn't get it.

I think they were killing with bow though, so it wouldn't help him much. But better than leaving it to some random person.

#12 2019-04-28 22:47:02

pein

i also make them do it
i kinda don't believe it's their first or second life

they are bad at controls at first few games
maybe they do tutorial more times?

i guess some of them are younger and lower ability to understand

i generally ask if they new at any age if they hang around doing weird stuff
if they admit they new i follow them, show things, feed them when talking and they overall happy to learn something

once i found a girl in desert, asked what she is doign
she wanted to get soil
told her we can make soil, just go home, we meet there
showed her how to eat pies and stew, can be hard to learn that too
then to farm berries and make boards, she was happy at the end, and sad when i was gone

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer