One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-23 16:47:21

Ari-ori-412

Why so quick to judge? My view on property fences.

So everyone seems to be hating on the new property fences but i really like the idea.  I dont really like how everyone immediately started judging them as SOON as fences were announced.  No one even waited till they were in the game. Now we just need everyone to give these fences a goddamn chance.  Honestly i like the idea of having my own property i can do my projects and not have people yoinking the tools and resources i gathered.  So give property fences at least a couple weeks to a month to settle in before judging.

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#2 2019-04-23 16:57:50

futurebird

Re: Why so quick to judge? My view on property fences.

I gave them a chance as you can see in these threads:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6013

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6023?

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6025

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6055

Like I'm really trying to make them work but mostly what I find is this:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6085

I don't think they are so bad that they need to be removed and I think they will find some niche uses, but it isn't really possible to fence a town, or any large area due to the upkeep. In my last life one person planted milkweed in a fenced area. I planted much more without a fence, because I didn't have to spend time making the fence. I don't think they are terrible, but they cause clutter (easy to fix by making twigs decay if not picked up for 10 min) and they are not a replacement for the curse system or going to lead to widespread shops or anything like that. They are interesting and a little frustrating.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-23 16:59:11

Tarr
Banned

Because everyone knew exactly what would happen when they're released.

Most players will just hoard a bunch of shit because "I made dis." instead of doing something like you where they only borrow items until they can produce their own goods and focus on using what they made.

The amount of general trolling with either trapping, hoarding, or mess making that comes with fences is horrendous. People have been asking for ways to reduce clutter not produce more of it.

Letting players design stuff for so cheaply makes it where anyone can do it but unfortunately it leads to people designing thinks without any thought process behind it. This can be seen when people make sheep pens with gates instead of the normalized corner entrances.

Sure someone like you MIGHT be using them the correct way but most people won't. A good player can look and tell you making a bunch of fences doesn't help your community in the least. What it does is makes transversing town more annoying, sets you up to have your gates blocked, and creates a horrible amount of mess all over town. Fences are like twins - the people using the mechanic right aren't the issue in the least, it's the people who use it without thought or with ill intentions.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-04-23 17:02:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I don't think the reaction has been that negative.

Not compared to the deafening outcry after the temperature overhaul back in February.

#5 2019-04-23 17:06:56

Whatever

I tried different things with the fences and i really like them.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6022

#6 2019-04-23 17:07:59

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

Not compared to the deafening outcry after the temperature overhaul back in February.

people really hate nerfs, even though they are needed

fences are much more game breaking

#7 2019-04-23 17:08:17

Ari-ori-412

jasonrohrer wrote:

True.

#8 2019-04-23 17:09:06

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

One was a game difficulty spike, the other is something that added unneeded clutter/annoyances.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-04-23 17:58:01

BladeWoods

I think most people would agree now that the temperature update was good. Buildings still aren't there yet, but clothes matter now.

#10 2019-04-23 18:01:01

Booklat1

BladeWoods wrote:

I think most people would agree now that the temperature update was good. Buildings still aren't there yet, but clothes matter now.

Buildings should have mattered instead of fences, less spammy, dont offer free pens, are an actual interesting and forgotren part of the game

#11 2019-04-23 18:02:27

Dodge

I like it, having property is nice, hopefully real reasons to have them will be added soon

#12 2019-04-23 18:04:20

Amon

Everyone isn't hating on the fences, it seems very mixed in-game. You'll see people applaud good fences and then people cleaning up crappy ones and morons trying to trap resources and whole towns.

And now the mixed feelings come from if fences are justified for the little very good things they do compared to the masses of horrid executions one can do with them.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#13 2019-04-23 18:06:29

Ari-ori-412

Its just from what i see on the fourms and discord (mostly discord) fences are the scum of ohol.

#14 2019-04-23 20:01:33

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Says the player that wanted to kill her own sister after the update.  Like that is ever good for a lineage.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#15 2019-04-23 20:21:52

pein

i still see temp update as not perfect, it made jungle and deserts just as bad as ice and rooms arent really a buff now, we still make them more often

there are simple things that people should learn, like why square rooms are better
how to make sheep pen entrances

i used this fences as:
-boar fence, big sis died to one so tried preventing people to go far to the swamp until i can shoot them
-temporary sheep pen: no reason to make them big as it becomes rickety very fast and they will escape eventually
a small one can be planted around and removed after

i see most time people who are good at game, make decent fences but their kids are idiots who just hoard stuff and kill others, like a fence near the oil rig and they lock up the fire and don't make charcoal for oil? that was the whole original purpose

i mean i can see them become self sustainable if you got a pond and a pen inside
maybe some shopkeeper roleplay
or some hotel thing where each player has his own room closeby to camp strategically placed
maybe people will use this way in time

but we need support: dirt roads, storage and more population per village, more stable cities, more reason to advance in tech

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer