One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-15 14:29:24

futurebird

If you could start one in-game folk tradition what would it be?

One berry on a bush, a bit of folk wisdom that has outlived most but not all of it's usefulness. In the wild as you all know it's nice to leave one berry for the starving child or harried mother. But, on domestic bushes it's stealth griefing. I was in a town where one woman was threatening to kill anyone who ate the last berry on the domestic bushes. I think she thought they would regenerate. But, no matter how many people explained this to her she just kept yelling at us and telling each of her kids that they should kill anyone who last the late berry. IDK if she was really that out of it on gameplay or if she was just a griefer acting a fool.

But, it made me think about how some things just stick and people keep doing them because "that's how it's done" like the smith having 3 rocks and being arranged horizontally. Or putting the nursery fire in the bakery. Or giving all your stuff to a baby rather than an industrious teen. Call them "game traditions"

So, what if you could start your own tradition? It has to be simple, and hopefully beneficial.

For me it would be "if you feed a sheep also make a compost, if you make a compost feed a sheep."

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-04-15 16:04:22

BerrypickerAF

Re: If you could start one in-game folk tradition what would it be?

futurebird wrote:

For me it would be "if you feed a sheep also make a compost, if you make a compost feed a sheep."

>need wool
>feed sheep
>spend years making compost
>meanwhile someone shore my sheep
>back to square 1

Maybe not something that takes so much time?

Anyway, it would be nice if people just picked the damn carrots they planted. I think a nice tradition would also to plant a maple at some point in your life.

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-04-15 17:03:20)

#3 2019-04-15 16:43:49

Amon

That's not tradition, thats honest work! big_smile
The folk tradition that I would start would be to sacrifice a whole bowl of berries to Amon via a baby juggling first time mother for protection from demonically posessed babies.

or this to be more useful...... ->
And to ritualistically kill a newly grown and shorn sheep every time a griefer kills somebody for protection from evil, all the while a choir of the innocent whistles during the procession. The wool has to be turned into a sterile pad later in and the meat is then cooked and feasted upon the traumatised bystanders.

Last edited by Amon (2019-04-15 16:44:28)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2019-04-15 17:20:48

Aname

i would stop every folk tradition as my folk tradition

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#5 2019-04-15 17:25:19

futurebird

Amon wrote:

And to ritualistically kill a newly grown and shorn sheep every time a griefer kills somebody for protection from evil, all the while a choir of the innocent whistles during the procession. The wool has to be turned into a sterile pad later in and the meat is then cooked and feasted upon the traumatised bystanders.

I think it should be a mouflon since they have cooler looking bones.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-04-15 19:01:44

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:

But, it made me think about how some things just stick and people keep doing them because "that's how it's done" like the smith having 3 rocks and being arranged horizontally.

That's a definite yes.  LostScholar has talked about 'vertical kilns' in his stream before, and I've used more flat rocks on a low pop server where I'm basically solo smithing.  It's not reliable to count on help in the big server.  It also depends what you're doing.  If you're just making iron into wrought iron, 2 flat rocks might do with help (maybe not).  If you make like a bunch of steel tools at once like 2 axes, 2 hoes, and 2 shovels, even with help, you'll want a flat rock for each steel head.

My tradition?  Start on a full belltower base as soon as you feel the camp is o. k.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-04-15 19:03:30

Amon

futurebird wrote:
Amon wrote:

I think it should be a mouflon since they have cooler looking bones.

As an Aries I outlaw the killing of mouflon!! xD

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#8 2019-04-15 21:19:08

Glassius

My tradition: kill religious zealots. They are not applying real religions, nor gameplay Nosaj apocalypse cult, only some crazy things like carrot god or shroom god. They are all harming other people's experience.

I wonder, should we start some counter religion? To allow all neutral folks do their stuff and only stop other zealots? Also, those guys may be dedicated on saving from apocalypse. They would naturally become city police, a person dedicated completely on questioning others and searching for griefers.

DEUS VULT! So, I'll call it vultarianism.

#9 2019-04-16 02:55:19

Thaulos

I wish following your mother steps/profession was more a thing than randomly picking your own job

#10 2019-04-16 03:05:11

DestinyCall

I would start the tradition of open air nurseries.  No walls around your babies, just two fires spaced one tiles apart, keeping everyone warm and happy.

#11 2019-04-16 09:38:42

breezeknight

town planners tradition lol

- - -

#12 2019-04-16 10:55:37

Bob 101

No odd shoes or making duels a thing.

All arguments would be settled by dueling. If you have an issue with what people are doing then you must best them or you cannot complain.

Healing the loser would be fine as long as they honor the rules, The other person gets their way because they won.

It'd be considered dishonorable to kill outside of duels or to interfere with a duel.

You could have a king who writes laws but can be challenged anytime for his/her crown. People have to listen to the king but tyrants would probably get frequent challenges. If you're good then people would be less likely to fight you.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-04-16 11:06:03)

#13 2019-04-16 10:59:53

Grim_Arbiter

Bob 101 wrote:

No odd shoes or making duels a thing.

I've always supported duels.

If you got a problem with someone that life? Go toe to toe. Just head out of town a bit.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#14 2019-04-16 13:08:01

WalrusesConquer

Call 1 goose Boris and feed the town with thier offspring! The Boris must bless these lands

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#15 2019-04-16 18:14:32

Mirelli

I had a life semi-recently where my mom had the older sibling name the newest child, and then that child would name the next one. I started doing it with my kids too but I think my daughters either forgot or didn’t care when they became mothers themselves. It’s not really beneficial to the town but I thought it was cute af anyway

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#16 2019-04-17 19:27:55

pein

each kid gets an iron vein and makes an engine, then an outpost each 250 tiles and a road between it big_smile

but honestly, make 2 compost and get 15 firewood/kindling in a lifetime, 2 compost covers you for a lifetime of food
maybe some milkweed
maybe plant pine, maple and juniper

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer