One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-13 01:34:43

QuirkySmirkyIan

why do i never see pigs, dogs, and rarely see cows

I'm wondering why I almost never see pigs or dogs in a village, I get dogs have no use but even in really end game villages I don't seem them or do I see pigs which can make a pretty good food. For cows on the other hand I don't understand why they are such a low priority for people they have a lot of uses and give many food.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#2 2019-04-13 01:37:25

Booklat1

Re: why do i never see pigs, dogs, and rarely see cows

because cows need a lot of buckets -but are OP-, dogs do nothing and pigs suck (support me on convincing jason to make them poop)

mostly its sheep that do everything, cows only being good because milk is the best food

#3 2019-04-13 01:53:39

Guppy

The thing is: Pigs dont make good food at all.

#4 2019-04-13 02:11:49

Booklat1

Guppy wrote:

while sheep make good food, thread, and dung for compost

#5 2019-04-13 02:24:34

1%Spacebar

Booklat1 wrote:
Guppy wrote:

while sheep make good food, thread, and dung for compost

And getting a pig means bringing a boar back to your village, or, if you have any common sense, messing around in the swamp with boars while waiting for the piglet to detach off the domestic boar. A guy actually brought a domestic boar into the village center once, and three or so people immediately got bitten. I stupidly touched it because it's domestic, right? That means it's harmles-

oh boy *munch munch* these berry bushes *munch munch* are dying. i hope *munch munch* someone will water them

#6 2019-04-13 03:16:47

Psykout

Milk is a super good food for those that know its food. I have played the part of milkmaid before, setting five to six buckets around town near nursery, forge, farm etc. In twenty minutes or so i would say maybe four bowls were consumed out of the six buckets. Two of them were by me.

Same with stew really, i have seen kids running around like crazy saying there is no food because the berries are empty. Place of death, right next to crock of stew.

The tutorial needs a revamp. You can show people complex foods without showing them how to make it, leaving the learning experience in game. Part of the symptom of oversized berry bushes and dozens of rows of carrots is simply because a large portion of the camp don't know whats food and not, and how to chain them for yum.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-04-13 03:20:35)

#7 2019-04-13 05:37:51

pein

well, people who do it are lots of time griefers or noobs
and who do it properly know they got no use, more than showcasing

pigs: other than showing that you got them, not much a reason
maybe some people never seen them so might keep babies from SID
the trick here is to take the corn and the bowl with you, and feed the pig outside in swamp, and only take the domestic back
but generally you can get pig meat from wild ones, more than enough
and pls make their own pen

dogs: annoying and no use to them. once i tried making pottery with 6 dogs following me, oh man
i could support some for rp reasons, like one in a nursery but people don't really understand front entrances to pens,  i told a few times that buildings shuld have pen type entrance, cause then it wouldn't let animals in or out
now bear couldn't enter a room, or dogs cant exit nursery, would make it ok
like plant 2 roses 2 sides of door, then a radio base (needs 4 copper, so if you make loom you can just make 4 rods and attach 2 to make that hammer thing, functions as bushes for pens, but you can put it on boards, so you get flooring bonus
you can walk through it but cnat move it

cow pens: some people say it's too easy food supply
sometimes i make it, when the town is running ok and i get my hands on some adobe, i put 9 pillars and 8 bushes, a board on middle and drop a cow inside, buckets are kinda major issue, so cant get immediate use of it
maybe i will do cow pens with a small well (for fast water) and sugar corners, that is much faster
the trick is to drop bison in a small biome, so you can still get cows for piss and doesn't fil lthe sheep pen with dead cows or multiple cows, then just make 1x1 pen for the cow who gives you milk

wolfs: i want to try it just i generally forget, maaybe i will make a wolf pen with  some bushes/tomato to farm wolf hats, but now everyone makes the new hats anyway

goose pen: again just showcase
technically you could put eggs into poop, then biome lock the goose and decap them later from boxes on 2-3 stumps, not really worth food wise

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-04-13 08:38:58

breezeknight

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

why do i never see pigs, dogs, and rarely see cows

I'm wondering why I almost never see pigs or dogs in a village, I get dogs have no use but even in really end game villages I don't seem them or do I see pigs which can make a pretty good food. For cows on the other hand I don't understand why they are such a low priority for people they have a lot of uses and give many food.

pigs are quite useless, people still mix up pork for mutton
pork is being used only for two recipes - pork tacos & dogs

dogs are indeed rather a griefing form than anything else

cows are not as useless as pigs for they give milk, which is quite nutricious
but they take up space with the bison needing a whole hour to disappear after being shot & that's mostly being done middle in the sheep pen blocking the already cluttered space with all the bones, dead lambs & poop
also how many know how to tend to a cow at all ? i don't lol
& additonally, buckets are probably scarce because milkweed is scarce & in a best scenario all the carpentry tools are scattered all over the place, in the worst, are broken & someone had to get iron first

also
the pens are still a pain in the butt to build
i will make pens after the basic production chains flow in towns,
atm it doesn't look like it will happen soon

- - -

#9 2019-04-13 09:10:33

QuirkySmirkyIan

thanks for all the help also if you want to tend to cows u need a bowl of corn kernels from flint chipping a dried corn in a bowl then  u wait for the cow to make a baby once u feed it then when the baby goes away from the mom u get a bucket and milk it.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#10 2019-04-13 14:43:54

PeaGirl

I find it crazy that civilizations still die, while cows remain. Those, and the omeletts are perhaps the best ways to keep food supply with as less iron usage as possible.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#11 2019-04-13 15:13:10

Astelon

PeaGirl wrote:

I find it crazy that civilizations still die, while cows remain. Those, and the omeletts are perhaps the best ways to keep food supply with as less iron usage as possible.

It's not starvation that always kills civilizations. What I noticed often is people killing eachother, SIDs and too few births

#12 2019-04-13 18:56:18

futurebird

Astelon wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

It's not starvation that always kills civilizations. What I noticed often is people killing eachother, SIDs and too few births

Agree. There are so many dead towns I've found with stack of pies and healthy berry and other farms and pots of stew just waiting to be eaten.

Famines are a function of no one caring for berries then some of the newest players starve. They happen if no one is paying attention to the food or if the population is too low then suddenly explodes.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#13 2019-04-13 19:04:25

Spoonwood

Astelon wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

This suggests that yum matters more than food efficiency.  Clothing also matters.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#14 2019-04-14 04:21:30

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:
Astelon wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

This suggests that yum matters more than food efficiency.  Clothing also matters.

It suggests that demographics specially fertility matter more, Yum is just one component of it and leaving fires out of this comment is problematic as fire is the easiest way to get a 0.5 fertility (yes you still need to compete with yummers)

other than fertility we have age, gender, pop size and death as demographics, dont try to (again) justify yum with incomplete information (specially to new players)

Guess what? people not drinking milk also wont eat other unknown foods, keeping a lower yum. Learning one food is easier than 10, right?

Food education is eating good foods, keeping yum when appropriate, making the mentioned good foods all of which should be taught.

But yes, late game food efficiency becomes less and less of a factor exactly because it becomes so absurdly easy to be efficient with pies and milk that its hardly a target for selection

#15 2019-04-14 06:21:58

pein

once i found a lil girl with basket, 2 berries in it, like 80 tiles from camp

asked what she needs
she said soil
i told her, we are making compost, she answered something, i think she tried to look smart but i knew already she is new
when i asked she said she is new, told her go home, we meet there ( i had a horse and a small task)
fed her, she was nearly starving i guess
later i found her, showed compost piles, compost making was too complex yet
showed her how to take out water and soil
she might have had only a few lifes and only at small camps, where they got a small berry patch, she is raised up, then her mom shows how to use bowl on soil pile then later she goes out of town and gets a basket of soil from further away

later i force fed her during the famine, as she was still running for berries
and taught her how to eat stew, it took her like 4-5 min to realize
we had a lot of girls, but she was tiny, lost, but full of innocence and good intention
i showed her the pies too and how to eat them, yeah that also took a bit of time
like we had a decent camp just the huge population ate up most food before we produced more

so even eating stuff takes a bit of time to be learned
sadly there are sso many people who can eat anything but wont produce nothing, just chitchat and complain

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2019-04-14 18:09:55

DaTrüf!

1. because pitbull griefing is a thing,
2. carcinas require too much materials to properly get the food you want,
3. idk why people dont get cows milk is the best

>Me: *writes detailed post on pit bull griefing and details how to prevent it*
>Community: GRIEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 2019-04-14 19:01:54

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Astelon wrote:

It suggests that demographics specially fertility matter more, Yum is just one component of it and leaving fires out of this comment is problematic as fire is the easiest way to get a 0.5 fertility (yes you still need to compete with yummers)

other than fertility we have age, gender, pop size and death as demographics, dont try to (again) justify yum with incomplete information (specially to new players)

Guess what? people not drinking milk also wont eat other unknown foods, keeping a lower yum. Learning one food is easier than 10, right?

Food education is eating good foods, keeping yum when appropriate, making the mentioned good foods all of which should be taught.

But yes, late game food efficiency becomes less and less of a factor exactly because it becomes so absurdly easy to be efficient with pies and milk that its hardly a target for selection

After playing on the bigserver for a few days recently I feel even more convinced that not having food around consists of a problem for the most part.  Efficiency isn't a concern if like generation 2, other than maybe shucked corn and green beans, because it's more like just eat berries and carrots, because that's what you've got for a bit.  And I don't think the food supply just vanishes out of thin air completely.  Lack of clothing, people not knowing what they can eat, and lack of yumming come as the main issues which players who want to learn how to do them, can get better at.

People standing around and just chatting isn't quite so easy to talk about in a meaningful way, I think.  Demographics also isn't something that people can get instructed on or learn how to change.  It's beyond anyone's control.

The murder problem comes as something that we've both left out so far.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer