One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-06 20:03:00

sigmen4020

Please make poop decay

Ever since you could get poop from feeding sheared sheep, the sheep pens are almost always going to be filled with poop. And with the new update that adds lots of new clothing that require a lot fleece, it's especially a problem. It is almost always the case that the composters cannot keep up with the amount of poop that a town produces, which ends with random people moving the poop out of the pen without putting it on top of a compost pile, which effectively uses 4 shovel charges on a single poop that could have been just 2. Of course this decay shouldn't be short. I'm thinking decay around an hour should suffice. Don't know if I'm just ranting, but after a lot of lives where I compost for the most part it's been a big frustration to see pens filled to the brim with unused poop.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#2 2019-04-06 20:21:28

Amon

Re: Please make poop decay

I suggested elsewhere that a poop just decays into a single soil piece. But the timer should not be one hour, much shorter I think. 10 mintues why not. And you get a bandaid soil pile.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#3 2019-04-06 20:24:09

SirCaio

We need a dung bucket!
Put dung in a bucket, and use it for easy compost with less shovel uses. This would be way more interesting and useful imo.

#4 2019-04-06 20:24:31

sigmen4020

Amon wrote:

I suggested elsewhere that a poop just decays into a single soil piece. But the timer should not be one hour, much shorter I think. 10 mintues why not. And you get a bandaid soil pile.

Yea that sounds like a better idea. To still get something out of the resources it takes to produce poop.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#5 2019-04-06 20:50:05

Amon

Still a resource waste, but probably enough buffer soil during emergency situations.

Art!!

#7 2019-04-06 20:56:54

breezeknight

SirCaio wrote:

We need a dung bucket!
Put dung in a bucket, and use it for easy compost with less shovel uses. This would be way more interesting and useful imo.

if we are gonna use buckets, then we need a better rope source than milkweed

#8 2019-04-06 21:04:12

futurebird

There should be a pitchfork for poo. Shovel isn't the correct tool. It could be wooden. And make poo stack in to dung heaps. That will be more "farm like" LOL

Really I was thinking about how miserable poor fragile must be with the sheep pens after this update now everyone is feeding them like crazy.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-04-06 21:46:22

Villas

breezeknight wrote:
SirCaio wrote:

We need a dung bucket!

if we are gonna use buckets, then we need a better rope source than milkweed

I don`t think so. Milkweed is super easy to farm, principally when buckets don`t decay, so we just need to make them once and they will carry poop forever. Also, one bucket would be enough to carry 10 poops, three buckets would be enough to carry all poops of a mega town, it`s not that hard to farm some milkweed, principally if the milkweed will be used for a poop storage that will make more soil to farm more milkweed, carrots and berries.
Also, people can just take a horse and ride for less than two minutes to craft three ropes. We need five ropes to make a pine door, using the same ropes we can make five buckets and I`ve seen a lot of towns with multiple pine doors.
But I wont complain if Jason adds more plants to make ropes, let us make whool ropes using a tear or even buckets made of nails, iron and wood.

#10 2019-04-06 21:55:48

Tarr
Banned

futurebird wrote:

There should be a pitchfork for poo. Shovel isn't the correct tool. It could be wooden. And make poo stack in to dung heaps. That will be more "farm like" LOL

Really I was thinking about how miserable poor fragile must be with the sheep pens after this update now everyone is feeding them like crazy.

Yeah, I also think he should move poop over to a pitchfork instead of a shovel. No one screeched about potatoes being planted until the first of two shovel nerfs. The shovel is basically only balanced around composting which caused its average uses to drop from 101 to the now 41 we have now. Even worse is that when composting the shovel has a chance to use a charge on picking up poop, using the poop, or dropping it which means clearing the sheep pen of the shit is actively harmful to your shovel.

Put the pitchfork at the same average uses as the shovel has now, buff the shovel back up, then proceed to make the pitchfork only have a chance to break on using the poop or dropping it so it's not constantly at risk of breaking.

This makes potatoes fine again, buffs the aspect of composting that doesn't make sense (dinging the tool every possible chance), and makes makes something new to learn.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-04-06 22:05:03

FeignedSanity

So why do adult sheep give poop again? I was gone when he made this change, that's certainly what's causing it. Shouldn't he just revert it?

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#12 2019-04-06 22:09:13

futurebird

The poop to single soil pile idea sounds very fair and it would keep things moving more around the pen. IDK if it should be three bowls of soil or just one. But really either seems fair.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#13 2019-04-06 22:38:14

Psykout

If poo was easier and less costly to move around not sure if we would need decay. I have always been in favot of having a more dedicated tool for compost, and to ease up on the shovel.

#14 2019-04-06 22:53:49

Amon

one seems fine due the space imprint. Any more and it's beneficial to just leave it there.

Psykout wrote:

If poo was easier and less costly to move around not sure if we would need decay. I have always been in favot of having a more dedicated tool for compost, and to ease up on the shovel.

A dedicated poo tool is great..but.
Moving poo ain't an issue why a decay is needed. It's the surplus of it. Have you been to the current big town? The floor is literally poo...And then northern spans of the sheep pen are basically compost. Compost for miles xD

In the cycle, if you want to opt out of meat because you have too much meat but need wool, you just refeed the adults.
If you want poo and no meat, just refeed an adult.
IF you want meat, feed a lamb.
If you want to opt out of poo. Well you can't. And you can't be makng compost 24/7 all time either cause you're just replacing one tile of clutter with another tile of something that turned from useful to clutter.
And wool is great, it has many uses, no complaints against wool so far, and the wool pulis decay anyway and the thread that is really useful.

Last edited by Amon (2019-04-06 22:55:19)

Art!!

#15 2019-04-06 23:12:44

Thaulos

Psykout wrote:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/240

#16 2019-04-06 23:21:16

ryanb
Website

+1 on the dung bucket idea. You could apply the bucket to compost to dump part of the dung out instead of using another shovel charge. The shovel charge is still used to put it in the bucket so it’s still balanced.

This would make it easy to clean up poo.

Last edited by ryanb (2019-04-06 23:22:00)

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#17 2019-04-06 23:30:42

Booklat1

poop decay is nice, poop storage would only make sheep more OP

if only pigs became the poop animal...

#18 2019-04-07 02:39:14

pein

well that change was because people got in trouble for shearing sheep and it's again a "don't do that " thing

was some topic in girhub issues
i mean there are opinions, then just because that is raised as an issue, not sure it is
but is controversial

a few of us can handle a city, make the important things, go to next step, logically
that would be the norm
make a working city and improve on it
but the game has no rules what people should do

so people leave carrots watered, they all go to seed
and they got excuses "oh i haven't even been here"
then why the fack you water it?

"i need the fleece"
as everyone else, bare minimum to feed the sheep

i don't like to waste, and i can keep up with compost making but in a lot of lifes you don't really need that much soil
decay would be an okay solution but then sometimes it would decay and the sheep killed and it would be a lot of pressure

lately made a goose pen, out of sugar, moved dung in it
put eggs in it
honestly didn't worked, cause there was no benefit really, i ate tons of pie and the profit was like 12 goose during a lifetime, then i cut all and made a wall of sugar against mosquitoes

the problems:
-you can only breed one goose with one dung, which is one omelette price for it
-moving dung is still bad
-having used dung in a goose pen is still bad
-stumps decay so you likely need to use new ones each hour

all the buff is for sheep
now goose breeding could be good  only if omelettes are multi bite, or goose breeds multiple eggs which could be reused the dung
or breeding the dung removes the dung for a higher reward
i guess right now removing dung is a reward
i guess domestic goose could have other advantage like feathers, but like pillows and duvets arent a needed thing, not sure what other advantage goose could have

but yeah, i think goose could get a buff with a dung nerf

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#19 2019-04-07 04:03:39

BladeWoods

It was perfect before unshorn sheep produced dung when fed. Just revert that change. If you want dung feed baby sheep. If you don't feed unshorn sheep. It was perfect.

#20 2019-04-07 05:24:59

DestinyCall

BladeWoods wrote:

It was perfect before unshorn sheep produced dung when fed. Just revert that change. If you want dung feed baby sheep. If you don't feed unshorn sheep. It was perfect.

It wasn't perfect.   It was unintuitive and highly griefable.  New players would screw it up all the time because they didn't understand the trade-offs.  They would shear all adults to gather wool and "break" the sheep pen.  Sometimes they would even get stabbed for pissing off the shepherd one too many times.     The interconnection between pies, compost and thread/wool has always been troublesome.

It is overdue for a rebalance, especially now that there is even more reason to focus on raising sheep for wool, instead of meat/poop.    I'd love to see the other domestic animals getting utilized, so sheep can be more fiber-focused instead of carrying the whole village by themselves.

#21 2019-04-07 08:04:44

Amon

Pein, honestly imo goose should lay more eggs but have a dedicated nesting spot.  A nesting box. If you feed a goose in a nesting box it lay a random egg clutch. Putting eggs on poo is a bologne. As far as I know some snakes lay eggs in manure, but not birds.

Maybe even include letting the goose incubate for goslings. Its a good investment for when in the future we might have some more egg requiring recipes.

Art!!

#22 2019-04-07 10:12:11

Psykout

Shorn sheep fed berry carrot bowl makes dung and fleece, just bowl of berries or just carrot gives just a fleece? Elegant solution.

Board footer