One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-03 00:30:08

Grim_Arbiter

The new factions. (A call to the community)

So jason wants conflict, and i don't blame him. If something isn't worth protecting or destroying, then there is stagnation. The stakes as they are now has made conflict happen, but mostly unorganized havoc.

I think I figured out a way to paint everything clearer and have some semblance of an ideology actually having an image. All without changing anything we dont already have (almost)..

The way I see it, we already have two factions in game now and just nobody realizes it.

The factions that already exist are:

Pro apocalypse
Anti apocalypse

But how can we distinguish these two groups?

My proposal is that we give them a color.

With the next update we will be given a variety of clothes, but the CLOAKS are what we should use to identify these said factions.

If you wear a red cloak you are in support of the apocalypse. If you wear a blue cloak you are anti apocalypse.

I think this meta change could spice things up and actually prove to organize people. You obviously dont have to join either faction, but actually being able to tell who wants which goal might be beneficial for everyone.

Your thoughts?

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#2 2019-04-03 00:51:09

Spockulon

Re: The new factions. (A call to the community)

You've perhaps forgotten another faction: Apocalypse-neutral
I see the benefits that an Apocalypse can offer, but I also don't want to actively work to bring it about.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#3 2019-04-03 00:59:00

Grim_Arbiter

Spockulon wrote:

I see the benefits that an Apocalypse can offer, but I also don't want to actively work to bring it about.

I have not, because if this meta happens most of the time I would be neutral. I've had lives where I was persuaded for both sides. Some of my favorite moms were building endtowers and i didn't destroy them because they were actually great moms with a vision to pass down to their kids.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-04-03 01:21:54

Spockulon

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Spockulon wrote:

I have not, because if this meta happens most of the time I would be neutral. I've had lives where I was persuaded for both sides. Some of my favorite moms were building endtowers and i didn't destroy them because they were actually great moms with a vision to pass down to their kids.

I should have offered more of my thoughts. Because, I for one, agree with you that these factions already exist in-game, but it just hasn't been widely recognized.

I remember long ago when I first started playing that players were starting religions left and right, and it was always great fun spending a life or two in one of those religious groups.

For that reason I like to think of apocalypse-neutral as it's own unique faction, that would have their own customs, ideas and goals. Maybe we could wear the beige-colored cloaks to show our neutrality hahaha XD

#5 2019-04-03 01:42:46

DestinyCall

Spockulon wrote:

Can I suggwst gray/undyed cloaks for the neutral players?   I would like a way to make it clear that I want nothing to do with the drama unfolding around me.

Uniforms are very useful.   The trick is getting people to recognize and agree on the meaning.

#6 2019-04-03 01:57:23

Spockulon

DestinyCall wrote:
Spockulon wrote:

Can I suggwst gray/undyed cloaks for the neutral players?   I would like a way to make it clear that I want nothing to do with the drama unfolding around me.

Uniforms are very useful.   The trick is getting people to recognize and agree on the meaning.

Hahah maybe a new version of the "whistle" emote. /canthearyoulalala

#7 2019-04-03 02:07:09

Grim_Arbiter

DestinyCall wrote:
Spockulon wrote:

Agreed, I mean we already have it to a minor degree with the blue dye and cop like patrolman.

However most of the wool you see never gets dyed, and most of those people that actually dye them just want some varieties in the village. Most people you see in dyed clothes didnt make them and usually loot them, but maybe if there was a reason to pass the colors down it would be beneficial.

I figured the cape will work almost in the same way where most of the time it wont get dyed anyway, but now there could be more reason for dyeing them.

--Grim

#8 2019-04-03 02:25:10

Booklat1

Well, Jason should design a game where there's reaso n to commit to a conflict then.

Honestly, struggle doesnt mean always making iron rarer and the game grindier, i dont see why not just design more gameplay opportunities for struggle.

we just need to start competing more fiercely over temperate areas, water, rabbits, iron and other restricted resources.

#9 2019-04-03 02:26:31

pein

it's nothing to do with families, and most clothing is made by a few skilled persons not everyone themselves
and you operate in secret if you want to end the world, not like "hey i try to destroy the world", also most newbies are against apocalypse

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-04-03 02:52:46

happynova

Come now, why on Earth would I want to advertise the fact that I'm going to dismantle your apocalypse tower as soon as you turn your back?  Also, I'd like to be able to wear a pretty-colored cloak without people thinking I'm some kind of wanna-be Thanos. smile

#11 2019-04-03 03:07:31

Grim_Arbiter

pein wrote:

it's nothing to do with families, and most clothing is made by a few skilled persons not everyone themselves
and you operate in secret if you want to end the world, not like "hey i try to destroy the world", also most newbies are against apocalypse

Yes made by skilled, but worn by all. All it takes is something to be associated with an idea for it to become a symbol. I will strongly disagree about always operating in secret. I have the pictures to prove that the endtowers and endstones can stay and be worked on in village. In plain sight. Most newbies will do whatever their mom tells them. Case in point is them trying to add to the endtowers without knowing how to. I've seen so many old people asking to be sacrificed for those towers that their mom started.

--Grim

#12 2019-04-03 03:40:19

Grim_Arbiter

happynova wrote:

Come now, why on Earth would I want to advertise the fact that I'm going to dismantle your apocalypse tower as soon as you turn your back?  Also, I'd like to be able to wear a pretty-colored cloak without people thinking I'm some kind of wanna-be Thanos. smile

It can work both ways. There is a reason for uniforms in armies. They would see a non red messing with the towers and get you. The better way to do it would be to have your blues go battle so that everyone knows their target. Or be a double agent.

Im all for freedom of expression and not having one particular symbol or thing own an idea, but in reality it happens whether we want it to or not. If you went back in time and plucked an indan hindu wearing an indian swastika, and a man that had a hitler moustache before it was associated with him, and then dropped them into the middle of modern day Jerusalem they would have their teeth kicked in. Even though neither deserved it and were just placed in the worst situation possible.

If you are born into a family right now in OHOL where everyone was wearing dyed blue and all had a knife and a arrow in their backpack you would probably call it cop town. Would they actually be? Prob not haha but you still kinda jump there in you mind.

--Grim

#13 2019-04-03 06:38:47

w0wma

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

So jason wants conflict, and i don't blame him. If something isn't worth protecting or destroying, then there is stagnation. The stakes as they are now has made conflict happen, but mostly unorganized havoc.

I think I figured out a way to paint everything clearer and have some semblance of an ideology actually having an image. All without changing anything we dont already have (almost)..

The way I see it, we already have two factions in game now and just nobody realizes it.

The factions that already exist are:

Pro apocalypse
Anti apocalypse

But how can we distinguish these two groups?

My proposal is that we give them a color.

With the next update we will be given a variety of clothes, but the CLOAKS are what we should use to identify these said factions.

If you wear a red cloak you are in support of the apocalypse. If you wear a blue cloak you are anti apocalypse.

I think this meta change could spice things up and actually prove to organize people. You obviously dont have to join either faction, but actually being able to tell who wants which goal might be beneficial for everyone.

Your thoughts?

what if you want to stand neutral? will we wear a green, white, and orange cloak?

#14 2019-04-03 11:35:31

karltown_veteran

I like the cloak idea, but some people (like me) dye clothes to look good. A lot of people aren't even on forum so they won't know what the dye means. They might pick up a red cloak by mistake and then wonder why people in blue cloaks keep trying to stab them.
How about face paint?
Red face paint applied forms an apocalypse symbol on your face. It should be clearly identified, like if you hover your mouse over your character it should say "You with red Apocalypse paint - Hope Boots" as an example. The same should be true for the blue Anti-Apocalypse paint. Using water on yourself should wash it off.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#15 2019-04-03 12:52:54

Amon

Honestly try this.

Get born as twins to an Eve.

Split up as you grow hair and survive and make your 'eve' camps.
Start telling your kids about the evil of your twin and the same should be done on the other side.
Colour code yourself red or blue.

See if the conflict stays through generations.
Grofit.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer