a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-30 20:28:12

futurebird

Why do people... baffling behaviours

-bring squash to the kitchen?
-bring eggs to the kitchen?
-bring corn to the kitchen?
-put 3 carrots in a basket? (except for maybe rabbit pie?)
-leave one berry on domestic bushes?
-put cooked pies in a chest in a basket in a box at the back of a room?
-die in the kitchen?
-always get stabbed when I'm out for iron?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-30 20:43:35

Oblong

Re: Why do people... baffling behaviours

-not bring plates/bowls back to the kitchen/smithing area?

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#3 2019-03-30 21:07:02

breezeknight

-build fast roads next to rooms ?
-still pave fast roads next to berry bush farms
-build ancient walls rooms with only one or two doors, so you have to run around to get into it ?
-still expand the huge berry bush farms ?
-are unable to deal with the newcomen pump ?
-scatter tools around town ?
-build ancient walls rooms cutting up a fast road ?
-build kiln & oven next to a wall above ?
-thresh flour leaving straw despawn ?
-put backpacks with knives on babies ?

#4 2019-03-30 21:25:33

futurebird

breezeknight wrote:

-build fast roads next to rooms ?
-still pave fast roads next to berry bush farms
-build ancient walls rooms with only one or two doors, so you have to run around to get into it ?
-still expand the huge berry bush farms ?

OMG these especially. Haven't we talked enough about how annoying roads like that can be?

---
omnem cibum costis

#5 2019-03-30 21:25:57

Glassius

Why do they interrupt smith work? Like seriously, I saw there is no axe and went to do it. Easy cheese, I forged crucible. I want to take plate off and forge steel to axe head until forge is down. Then 3 players arrive, cover all flat stones with iron blooms iron, and the last stone is hidden behind guy spamming "make ax"... Why?

#6 2019-03-30 21:27:53

antking:]#

have you ever seen fast roads in buildings!... the annoyance!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#7 2019-03-31 00:49:05

pedrito confesiones

why do people make crowns i really hate self proclamed useless kings

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#8 2019-03-31 01:45:54

pein

why do they:
build stupid entrances to pens?
make a room around a randomly placed oven? (probably a kid smashed the forge adobe somewhere near berries)
fix bushes outside the berry farm on stupid places like inside pen or near a wall?
proclaim they hunters, when you want to get sheep and they withhold the arrow
why do they plant right next to ponds? ponds become wells, deep wells then they run with a bucket, run back, then go back with a bowl
then the well goes empty and it's just a useless wall
why do they dump all the clothes on dumbest babies while hard working teenagers are naked?

so far i melted 4 bells made of crowns, i just take it from kids, melt it, hide it or make bell out of it if there is two
yeah i melt it every time but got only 4 bells so far

today i picked a fast road 4 times, tried to make new bakery ( it was supposed to be a bakery originally)
i found a pen made by me with a new eve, people kept stealing bowls, plates, raw pies, soil, water, buckets to fix their shitty town instead making a new district with me, like every fucking time i chain a few lifes somewhere this happens

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-03-31 05:26:52

pedrito confesiones

why do people complain about potatoes no noob farms potatos only experienced players plant potatoes stop complaining about potatoes

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#10 2019-03-31 06:16:21

Guppy

Most of this are either new players ( makes sense that food belongs into the kitchen) or maybe older, returning players, that dont know that carrots are stackable yet

#11 2019-03-31 06:44:46

OminousBladeBlank

-curse me for killing players who spam contribute nothing, spam gibberish, and spam eat pies as child.
-curse me for killing their mother who griefed
-curse me for killing children who cross spam /ill and /yoohoo
-remove progress from apocalypse
-refuse to let me lock rooms and boxes, dupe 3 keys, and distribute to trustworthy townsfolk

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#12 2019-03-31 06:58:53

futurebird

This could be controversial... but why bring shrimp to the kitchen? I think it's to get plates and get them cut with a knife... maybe. But, after this update I really think we need a grill that functions like the flat rock but without the waiting. Perhaps you could just IDK hit an adobe oven with the chisel and mallet and BOOM grill.

You put kindling in and right away you can cook on it like a flat rock.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-03-31 06:59:30)

---
omnem cibum costis

#13 2019-03-31 07:02:52

Guppy

futurebird wrote:

This could be controversial... but why bring shrimp to the kitchen? I think it's to get plates and get them cut with a knife... maybe. But, after this update I really think we need a grill that functions like the flat rock but without the waiting. Perhaps you could just IDK hit an adobe oven with the chisel and mallet and BOOM grill.

You should actually suggest that in a seperate post, love the idea.

#14 2019-03-31 08:01:56

w0wma

Guppy wrote:
futurebird wrote:

this!

#15 2019-03-31 13:25:17

Starknight_One

w0wma wrote:
Guppy wrote:
futurebird wrote:

this!

A little more involved, I think. Maybe: heat iron rod in forge, run through Newcomen Roller to get thin iron rod. Cut thin iron rod with chisel to get a stack of short thin rods. Hit with a smiths hammer to make into a grill top; place on adobe oven base to make a grill.

Grills take kindling, and can't accept firewood. (Presumably you could use charcoal as well, but that's needed for industrial purposes.) When lit, it starts a grill fire, which dies down to a hot grill in 15 seconds. The hot grill lasts for 3 minutes (since the adobe base helps retain heat). The time is reset when foods are placed/removed, like a hot rock on coals.

I should think anything which goes directly on coals - like salt water, for example - could be placed on the grill. Tortillas and eggs could not (although... a bowl of eggs with water to make boiled eggs? hmmm). And hey, if we're gonna have a grill... we should have STEAK!

This gives us a low-tech and a high-tech option for shrimp. The quicker prep and longer cook time give the grill an advantage over a flat rock, and the ability to use the fire instead allows lower-tech villages access to the food.

#16 2019-03-31 14:51:22

Anandamide

Starknight_One wrote:
w0wma wrote:
Guppy wrote:

this!

A little more involved, I think. Maybe: heat iron rod in forge, run through Newcomen Roller to get thin iron rod. Cut thin iron rod with chisel to get a stack of short thin rods. Hit with a smiths hammer to make into a grill top; place on adobe oven base to make a grill.

Grills take kindling, and can't accept firewood. (Presumably you could use charcoal as well, but that's needed for industrial purposes.) When lit, it starts a grill fire, which dies down to a hot grill in 15 seconds. The hot grill lasts for 3 minutes (since the adobe base helps retain heat). The time is reset when foods are placed/removed, like a hot rock on coals.

I should think anything which goes directly on coals - like salt water, for example - could be placed on the grill. Tortillas and eggs could not (although... a bowl of eggs with water to make boiled eggs? hmmm). And hey, if we're gonna have a grill... we should have STEAK!

This gives us a low-tech and a high-tech option for shrimp. The quicker prep and longer cook time give the grill an advantage over a flat rock, and the ability to use the fire instead allows lower-tech villages access to the food.

The only thing id change is require charcoal and no resetting timer like a flat rock. It would take one basket of charcoal to light it, but after 2 minutes it will change from "burning grill" to "grill with hot coals", in which case you could add one unit of charcoal to keep it going. A flat rocks short timer balances out the ability to refresh it, if you go do another task for even a bit, it is likely that fire will die out. Increasing demand for charcoal isnt bad, as people will need to produce it in greater quantities, and there is always an increase in labor productivity when you do the same task for a longer period of time because there is none of the mental overhead from task switching, having all the relevant tools and locations fresh in your head, and having said tools readily accessible.
Just like people saying how stone hoes will use too much milkweed. Currently, milkweed is needed for advanced technology, but since its almost never a life or death thing, the milkweed farm is often neglected; if it was a regularly consumed item as part of the farm cycle instead of just when there is some new tech to explore or build, then people will make sure to farm more of it. I never understand why people only will plant a small patch of like 8 milkweed at a time when you have a deep well+ and/or compost. Use a whole hoe on planting milkweed. Make giant fields of it. If youre already doing the task, doubling the plot will usually take half the effort that it took to get the first half of the field going since(pulling those stats out of my ass but you get the idea regardless of the specifics).

#17 2019-03-31 16:57:13

DestinyCall

Anandamide wrote:

I never understand why people only will plant a small patch of like 8 milkweed at a time when you have a deep well+ and/or compost. Use a whole hoe on planting milkweed. Make giant fields of it. If youre already doing the task, doubling the plot will usually take half the effort that it took to get the first half of the field going since(pulling those stats out of my ass but you get the idea regardless of the specifics).

Have you ever farmed milkweed?   It is a painfully unrewarding process.   It takes so many rows and provides so little product.   If you turn your back on the farm for even an minute, your whole crop will be harvested by someone else.  No one likes to farm milkweed.  It is such a chore - labor and time intensive with so little output.  Rope-making is in major need of an overhaul. 

I plant milkweed only when I need it and usually do it outside of town where I won't be bothered by other people who are too lazy to plant their own milkweed.

#18 2019-03-31 17:12:02

Anandamide

I plant it all the time, its essential. Its no more of a chore than other farming, because other farms also go to shit when you walk away just as often. Hence the endless berry fields, and random plants in the wrong plots. Its not unrewarding, as village labor efficiency goes up as you acquire more milkweed based tech. If I find myself already with buckets and carts, then It is not unreasonable for me to grow 10+ ropes in a life and still accomplish something else. When setting up the milkweed farm if there is none or it was destroyed, water the first crop more staggered so if someone comes by and pulls it all while youre getting more soil or water, you are likely to have at least one or two get pulled at the fruiting stage and not have to go find seeds again. *** Ive also proposed an overhaul to rope making elsewhere in the forums, but even the way it is now, in mid level and higher village, its not as hard as you're saying it is to grow some. Especially if you find some kinda distant ponds and soil, maybe on the other side of the swamp from town, then the influence of others is only a problem if someone is actively griefing your milkweed farm***

Last edited by Anandamide (2019-03-31 17:14:15)

#19 2019-03-31 17:54:17

futurebird

Milkweed should be harvested right away so it isn't used for thread. The only other use for thread (other than lightbulbs) are arrows and we don't often need more of those. When I grow milkweed I harvest it as it matures and leave the ropes there. If I have a horse I bring back rope and leave it in the milk weed area.

It's tedious and one of my least favorite parts of the game. Yes "it can be done" but why? I would even like it if one could grow rope in a manner like potatoes where it just takes up less space and maybe uses more soil?

I tend to plant in the center of town where it can be seen so if it's being swiped people can comment on that. "secret milkweed gardens" are where the hoe for the stew farm vanishes to most of the time If you want to use up a hoe making a big garden that's great, just make an extra hoe. Stew production requires constant switching between growing and cooking and if the hoe wanders off it's a nightmeare.

One solution is to put a few skewers in your pack when farming soup. But, that's only sensible if you have a ton of packs since the stew farmer technically doesn't need one.

---
omnem cibum costis

#20 2019-03-31 23:58:40

Averest

Why do people not look up how to build a wagon before attempting it and thus make either track kits or wheels with tires for cars?

#21 2019-04-01 00:20:44

futurebird

Why, since the update is every village littered with bowls of sugar and salsa? I swear making sugar bowls is borderline greifing...

---
omnem cibum costis

#22 2019-04-01 02:38:52

Digital_Anna

pein wrote:

why do they plant right next to ponds? ponds become wells, deep wells then they run with a bucket, run back, then go back with a bowl
then the well goes empty and it's just a useless wall

I'm not sure i understand. I usually plant near the ponds so the wells are closer and easier to access, but you're saying it's better to plant farther from the ponds?

futurebird wrote:

I think it's a great idea.

-why do people come help me do stuff i don't need help to do instead of doing useful stuff. Then they just steal the things i'm trying to grab or get in my way or stand in front of things i need...... so it always end up with me saying, ok, i'll let you do this task and I do one of the hundred other stuff that needs to be taken care of right now.
-Why do people with a bag pack hangout in town? I'll take your bag pack and go make more bag pack if you don't need it now.
-why isn't there systematically a babysitter. The woman with the youngest child around the fire should take this task and let the other one go.

Last edited by Digital_Anna (2019-04-01 02:39:38)

Be nice, English isn't my first language.

#23 2019-04-01 04:16:19

BerrypickerAF

everyone wrote:

milkweed discussion

After reading this earlier I decided to spend a life farming milkweed and see how it goes.

As soon as I managed to grow a 3x3 patch, half of it was stolen as soon as it was ready. Not surprising so instead I had to find a nearby but far enough plot with 2 wormy soil pits and literally spent TWENTY YEARS to produce five whole damn rope. Understandably I starved myself at the age of 39.

I had to abandon every child I birthed.
I had to commute a fair distance and make sure no one followed me just to protect my crop.
I did not steal tools and returned everything I used.
I almost starved three times.
Not a single person thanked me when I delivered the final haul to the town.

So yes, rope farming needs a serious overhaul.

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-04-01 04:26:30)

#24 2019-04-01 04:35:12

futurebird

Digital_Anna wrote:

-why do people come help me do stuff i don't need help to do instead of doing useful stuff.

ooh oooh I can answer this one. Recently I was making the stew (as you do) and I had this ... shadow. Turned out she wanted to learn how to do it and was watching me closely and copying my steps. That happens with baking too, I think. They see you put a bowl of mashed whatever on a pie crust and copy. I'll say "wow thanks want to take over?" then run off to do something no one likes or understands. But in that case she was like "IDK how" so I showed herb the steps which is a little painful in-game. But it seems rude to be like RTFM!

---
omnem cibum costis

#25 2019-04-01 04:47:40

Broken

- Why do people ask babies questions that require more than a letter or two to answer?
- dress babies when they are about to die with naked people standing beside them?

Board footer