One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-24 07:56:33

Tarr
Banned

We need more kerosene level tech.

As the title says we need more things that use kerosene at this point. Anything above the original newcomen pump isn't going to pay for itself in the length of time a village survives which means you shouldn't care to push the tech tree to the top. None of the top level tech is worth the time investment to learn or do at the moment that and that's just sort of sad. Radios require either for you to set up two sets on receivers and transmitters if you want multiple towns connected or a bunch of receivers and one transmitter if you want to spam memes (the only use of radios atm.)

So clearly radios aren't worth building so lets move to the diesel engine tech. The plane/car suffer from the same exact fatal design flaw: you can't have them near people. Why build something that only yourself or other people you know out of game can use? it seems against the whole games idea to have items that need to be hidden away from everyone to be useful but leaving them out otherwise just leads to trolls or new people trying to use them which leads to them being lost. The one place a lock and key would actually shine in game is neglected to keep cars and planes completely unviable long term.

The problem that comes from the water pump situation is that all three water pumps produce unlimited water. The issue isn't that we have unlimited water sources in the game (as having all the water in the world won't matter if no one works) but that you don't need to upgrade and you shouldn't. Put a few forges next to each other, build a few cisterns and suddenly you have enough charcoal to (slowly) make all the water you want.

Even buildings right now fall into tech you mostly don't need. You don't need a baby hut in game right now at any point of the game due to how good fires are in the first place. The spacial limits, lack of need for an area to generally be warm, and the clutter issues just make living and working outside the better choice.

Right now late game really needs some useful tech (loom clothing, a longer lasting fire or upgraded kiln/oven) to give people a reason to reach it. As is, there's no reason to ever leave the mid game, and there's certainly no reason besides ease of water for people to move up the tech tree.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-02-24 08:39:33

Grim_Arbiter

Re: We need more kerosene level tech.

Agreed, and i feel like you are right about tech needing to appeal to the masses and have a use. I do have faith that things can be made to push tech to a point where the overall playerbase will stive for technology for both necessity and satisfaction.

While it probably can be argued with, I'd like to imagine the playerbase being split into about 5 ranking categories where people can fall into or in between. What I think separates tier 4 from 5 is knowing all the tech. Both 4 and 5 can both see the bigger picture of things happening or needed in the game (what separates tier 4 from 3) ,but if you cant make it ALL you are a step behind.

What stops me from actually trying to move up to the final tier is what you described, I dont want to learn something that I feel won't help anyone but myself. Sure the airplane can be useful as is, but its not something that I need to build for the village.

Now if the diesel engine got put on a tractor...

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2019-02-24 09:24:17

pein

well, prices depend on the market, if something is too common, is cheap, if its scarce, is expensive
the nice thing about well balanced strategy games is the grind for a step above where all things that are expensive, become cheap
we need something that uses much more water, like a sauna? heated pool?
that would be a nice way to use kerozene and water and provide naked people some heat
pigs? we could have mud for pigs, mud makes a pig happy? then it would become fat pig
fat could be used with food and something else, don't know, burns well?
just to make it unique

also cows, steaks were cheap, as americans had kind of unlimited pastures
so it was a staple food at a time

this would be enjoyable activities i guess

then maybe glass
then later electricity

the wheat game could be more complex, like hitting grain multiple times for the flour, then windmills wuld be faster and provide more wheat? or smaller particles? that could be used for a mass scale baguett producing, would even look funny in toddler hands

just expandthe gameplay a bit.
we could have other problems too, like hygiene and pollution related things or tower defense style animal attack from time to time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-02-24 09:25:43

Dodge

A lighter would be nice

Diesel engines could be used for advanced clothes production to process hemp or cotton for example

Dont think an oven should run on gasoline an iron wood stove to replace fire and that lasts longer and doubles as an omelette, burrito etc station could be interesting especially if it has the same temperature has the small fire, since large slow fire is too hot to stand on it

A blast furnace could be interesting but only if it opens up to new possibilities like smelting different ores with the higher temperatures, only having it last longer than the forge wouldnt be worth it, maybe could improve efficiency of smelting, two ingots from one ore for example

Not sure a blast furnace would run on gasoline though, seems like it runs on coke, coal could be mined from an upgraded mine that uses a diesel engine for a drill and belt machine to bring materials on the surface, upgraded mine could allow to mine all sort of ressources like coal, limestone, malachite, iron ore, stones.

If iron ore is mineable then oil could become the new iron, oil rigs could be upgradeable or regenerate at a slow rate or both like water used to be

But since mining iron would still be a lower chance and oil would still be used for other stuff, it would be a balance between not using too much gasoline for other uses and mining enough iron that the village can survive and if unlucky with mining and oil is depleted then finding new iron and oil would be needed because the regen rate of oil with the current rigs wouldnt be enough and since making a new oil rig requires iron it would still boil down to finding new iron.

Villages that manage ressources inneficiently and run out of gasoline and iron would eventually die out if nobody gathers iron and makes new oil rigs, but using all the iron for rigs would have the risk of not having enough iron for tools which would mean no food and dead village

Engines could also be used for industrial production of kindling, paper, steel/copper parts manufacturing etc

Farming could use an upgrade too

Ethanol, chemistry and upgraded medicine could be nice too, current pads cant be carried in apron or backpack so no official medics

Everything clothes related would be welcome too, like a tanning rack for pig and cow skin, leather coats, jackets and backpacks smile

#5 2019-02-24 09:35:16

pein

potted plants? greenhouses and hydroponic farms with auto watering which is more expensive on water but faster
i would like the hot flat rock replacement, an efficient bean burrito station can use even 7 rocks, to just roll and dump the tortilla
but if we could have kitchen counters which would portion the dough, and hangers for the roller, we could save up space and some time, cooking it on a better stove

new ores would be interesting too, but then needs new purpose and machines? we already kinda advanced into that, maybe ason plans more combos with the newcommen machines

denim? would love some jeans and black leather. maybe some belts?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-02-24 10:02:02

Amon

The new tech needs to be able to support and sustain a village for a longer time.

We build wells to make ponds more sustainable, and we slowly keep upgrading them to make them even more sustainable over a long period of time until water no longer becomes an issue.

Currently, woollen clothes are cumbersome to make, which is actually pretty neat considering we have a loom, loom should provide a faster method of providing cheap clothes to clothe the villages, and a contrast between an okay solution next to a better one locked behind advancement, that0s to motivate people going up and up and up!
Iron mines get depleted, just like ponds they should be able to be revitalised to - an - extent. Everyone loves iron, iron is great and keeps the village going. Better air pumps, better mining tools to allow to dig deeper and further, locked on higher tech level advancement.

Cars and Planes are initially useless, a flaw of this game is that to succeed in the early stages, you absolutely need a little bit of everything from every single biome. In the end, every village will need everything, and it can get everything it needs within a few biomes from home (unless unlucky with biomes). There are no super spaced out resources that are only required later in to advance further. Say hemp to mass produce rope is only available to a single village lucky enough to find some of it nearby it's camp. Other villages with no access to it would have a reason to trade with it.

Planes with landing strips are amazing, the perfect way to connect distant villages... for say trade. Except what would you trade? At the end of the day, they need the same exact resources as you need to advance, taking x resource from them will just deplete it for them sooner and vice versa. They don't have an overabundance of X but need Y, which this other distant village has to help out with advancing their tech level to help out with the impending doom due lack of iron.

Last edited by Amon (2019-02-24 10:05:58)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-02-24 10:36:49

Spoonwood

I've seen radios become useful via Twitch streams where people played on server12.  People were Eve-chaining and talking to each other via the radio.  I felt it kind of funny, because the streamer was saying that radios were useless, while shortly after using the radio to talk to someone else.  Maybe LostScholar just meant that radios were useless in bigserver towns though, I don't know.  I think cars, airplanes, and radios would could all become more useful with permanent cities... say perhaps Eves spawning into some town location instead of out in the wild who knows where (sure, it's not random, and an Eve might lie close to town, but there exists more than one direction).  That said, I don't know if Eves spawning into permanent cities makes sense, or if people would want to spawn into a permanent city.  Additionally, I think some things with respect to decay might have to change, and though I wish things like basket decay would change (or at least we could get some sort of permanent basket for low population server players), it would probably be more things than what the wiki suggests would decay.  I also don't know how permanent cities would affect technical needs/desires.  Additionally, there probably would be the problem of the local iron supply becoming more difficult than people wanted to deal with.  Then again, maybe not.  Furthermore, people might end clustered closer together.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-02-24 12:10:51

futurebird

OK what is "eve chaining" ?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-02-24 13:05:50

Tarr
Banned

Dodge wrote:

Yeah just a lighter would be the start of end game tech that actually makes life easier for reaching the end of the chain. Obviously when I said oven/forge I was just throwing out quick ideas since those were the first things that came to mind. Clothing of course is always a welcome late game item to add in since we wear the same clothing options from early game all the way up until the death of a city which seems rather silly when you think about.

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Yeah I find it sad that people don't feel the need to learn the end game because it doesn't benefit your village to do so. As much use as a tractor would have I fear you would still run into the problem of people stealing and dumping the things. I think it's just bad overall to have the very top of the tree be a bunch of toys that are better off just ignoring.

futurebird wrote:

OK what is "eve chaining" ?

Basically Eve dies of old age on a low populated server (<4 fertile females) and she spawns right next to her corpse. We used to be able to do a bugged version of this on the main server which instead would spawn you to a random villages. This is why Eve should always live to old age on a quiet server and never live to sixty on the main server. Instead Eve should kill herself at 40 to get under the lineage ban and help her family for longer.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-02-24 16:51:38

fragilityh14

I definitely want kerosene stoves for warmth so we're not using all the wood all the time, it does become a problem later one, and since we have kerosene anyway...

I'm for sure one of these people who doesn't learn end game, in part because i'm more interested in agriculture in general but also because there's always so much shit to do to keep a village alive.

I did finally learn blacksmithing though in my string of being men in new villages that didn't survive yesterday. Usually there are other people trying to do it and i don't want to be in the way. I was so proud of myself when I produced the villages first axe and shovel too

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#11 2019-02-24 17:50:40

CrazyEddie

fragilityh14 wrote:

I did finally learn blacksmithing though in my string of being men in new villages that didn't survive yesterday. Usually there are other people trying to do it and i don't want to be in the way. I was so proud of myself when I produced the villages first axe and shovel too

Congratulations! Well done. You should be proud.

The true heart of this game, in my opinion, is in discovering, learning, and teaching. Every new experience is a reward.

#12 2019-02-24 18:59:56

fragilityh14

honestly, when i wasn't playing for like 6 or 7 months blacksmithing was more specialized when i left, and now a bunch of people just know how to do it so it's often being done.

But I was in a camp that would have survived if i was confident enough to smith quickly (really just badly needed a shovel to dig out the empty pits) and i realized i really need to know how to do it.

I've been teaching more people how to make stew and sauerkraut, both really helpful skills. I always try to teach noobs what I can.

Though my main advice is still "Make basket, always carry food" if we're in an even slightly wild camp. That's the most important thing for living long enough to learn anything else big_smile

I need to start actually learning carpentry in this game, i'm sure it's not complicated, i'm just not that interested in building. [though it seems to be what a lot of other people enjoy, so i've rarely been in a situation where anyone needed me to be a builder]

Listen to your mom!

#13 2019-02-24 19:51:28

CrazyEddie

Carpentry is easy, fun, and very valuable (and underappreciated).

#14 2019-02-24 20:08:02

DestinyCall

CrazyEddie wrote:

Carpentry is easy, fun, and very valuable (and underappreciated).

If nothing else, learn how to make wood floors, buckets, and carts.     Very easy, very useful.

For basic carpentry, you need the adze and froe.  Ideally, you also want a bow saw.   The adze is used to remove wood floors (rare, but you might need it), but more importantly, you need it to make a mallet.  With a mallet, you can use a froe to make butt logs into boards.   Wooden boards are used in many carpentry projects, including doors, carts, buckets, boxes, and floors.

If you have a bow saw, you can make wooden disks.  These disks are used to make buckets, wheels, and spindles (for spinning fleece).   Just be careful to NOT make a track cart kit by mistake.  This happens when you add a wheel to a board.  You can't disassemble this kit and it is almost certainly not what you wanted to do.

The other carpentry tool you might need is a flint-tipped bow drill.  This is made by adding an arrowhead to a regular fire bowdrill.  It can also be disassembled by using a piece of flint on the flint-tipped drill, if you need to make a fire.  The flint-tipped drill is used to make wheels.

If you have all the necessary tools and a milkweed farm, you can mass produce carts and buckets.   Just keep in mind that boxes and horsecarts last forever, but handcarts eventually breakdown.   Adding rubber tires will keep your cart alive longer (and increases storage!), but the best longterm solution is to attach the cart to a horse, if you have one available.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-24 20:09:25)

#15 2019-02-24 21:31:55

Booklat1

kerosene heaters, loom clothing and air conditioning would be dope. we also need a rework to dyes and paint I believe, not top tech but making these better helps to make clothing and buildings more desireable. I think theres a lot wrong with these techs still, like skins not decaying and heat convection being meh. would like more updates that half focused on fixes while throwing some tech to mid-late game.

but remember, pigs still kinda suck.

#16 2019-02-24 22:08:14

Bob 101

We'll need better mines to afford more late game tech.

#17 2019-02-24 22:14:56

NetherCrow
Website

Maybe we need more tech to improve our high-tech life. I think it's funny to use a firebrand to start up the machine.

Chinese Mobile Players are the best griefer around the world. I am ashamed of them. They invent the auto-baby-killer and grave-baby-prison to avoid Others Break their Eve Chain. And the griefer use bear and bow to kill every eve player for their REVENGE. All animal and kiln are killed or destroyed because of envy and hatred.

#18 2019-02-24 22:18:11

wondaland

fragilityh14 wrote:

honestly, when i wasn't playing for like 6 or 7 months blacksmithing was more specialized when i left, and now a bunch of people just know how to do it so it's often being done.

But I was in a camp that would have survived if i was confident enough to smith quickly (really just badly needed a shovel to dig out the empty pits) and i realized i really need to know how to do it.

I've been teaching more people how to make stew and sauerkraut, both really helpful skills. I always try to teach noobs what I can.

Though my main advice is still "Make basket, always carry food" if we're in an even slightly wild camp. That's the most important thing for living long enough to learn anything else big_smile

I need to start actually learning carpentry in this game, i'm sure it's not complicated, i'm just not that interested in building. [though it seems to be what a lot of other people enjoy, so i've rarely been in a situation where anyone needed me to be a builder]

It seems like we are in a very similar situation. I'm quite comfortable with making stew/baking and other food and have just started to branch it into making other useful items.

Took my first steppes in smithing a few days ago, though I was slow and decided running through the smithing section of the tutorial for practice would help. IT DID went from raw resources to an axe and shovel and cut down the yew tree blocking the exit.

I also made my first bucket which was really rewarding, the village only had two at the time (rest had been used on large wells that were dry) so despite lack of thanks I knew I'd done something useful.

My next goal is to start making more tools such as Mallet and shears. Also want to make a cart and even give the rubber wheels a go.

After that I'd like to work with some cows, the idea of having a farm full of happy animals is so enticing.

So much to learn in this game even after playing for a good 4-5 months total. Taking a break and coming back to all the new things is overwhelming and exciting all at the same time smile

#19 2019-02-24 23:24:37

Grim_Arbiter

Tarr wrote:

Yeah I find it sad that people don't feel the need to learn the end game because it doesn't benefit your village to do so. As much use as a tractor would have I fear you would still run into the problem of people stealing and dumping the things. I think it's just bad overall to have the very top of the tree be a bunch of toys that are better off just ignoring.

What if the tractor drove at the same speed as you run while holding a dug stone? I doubt people would steal and joy ride them then! They'd be a tool tool you'd make and leave by the farms and they'd probably stay close if that was the case. Maybe the engine would only run for 15 seconds, but give you as many tilled rows as you could crank out in that time.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#20 2019-02-25 00:11:18

Spoonwood

NetherCrow wrote:

Maybe we need more tech to improve our high-tech life. I think it's funny to use a firebrand to start up the machine.

"In 1986, a full-scale operational replica of the 1712 Newcomen Steam Engine was completed at the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley. It is the only full-size working replica of the engine in existence.[24] The 'fire engine' as it was known, is an impressive brick building from which a wooden beam projects through one wall. Rods hang from the outer end of the beam and operate pumps at the bottom of the mine shaft which raise the water to the surface. The engine itself is simple, with only a boiler, a cylinder and piston and operating valves. A **coal fire** [emphasis added] heats the water in the boiler which is little more than a covered pan and the steam generated then passes through a valve into the brass cylinder above the boiler."

https://archive.is/DJq0t

This video also shows a furnace in that sort of machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QltRwiu4U2Q

Though, admittedly, reality is sometimes funny.

wondaland wrote:

My next goal is to start making more tools such as Mallet and shears. Also want to make a cart and even give the rubber wheels a go.

All of those with the exception of rubber wheels can get made in the tutorial area.  And actually, it might just be possible to make rubber wheels if the exit of your tutorial area has a hot spring, rubber tree, palm tree, and a pond nearby.  You would need to break into another tutorial area or find iron outside of one.  Edit: It's nine iron to make everything needed to make rubber from the tutorial area.  Perhaps that's best done with a friend spawning into the tutorial area with you, if you want to try to do that from there.  Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly how that happens.  Though someone else might know.

I guess having the right trees, hot spring, and a pond sounds like a lot of luck, but I did once manage to tap into an iron vein from the tutorial area (I think I only got like 8 or 9 iron from that vein), as I had a vein near the exit and a canada goose pond.  And if you have a friend doing that might not be too bad.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-02-25 13:40:47)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#21 2019-02-25 04:16:11

fragilityh14

I gotta say, now that i know smithing it's both not that complicated and also something i always find myself hopping in and out of doing lol

Though in my last life i did really successful iron runs, and brought home almost 40 total.

Listen to your mom!

#22 2019-02-25 11:53:54

Bob 101

I think certain things should become easier to make as tech advances.

#23 2019-02-25 17:57:39

Potjeh

Kerosene should be used for power generator, and then we can do all sorts of stuff with electricity.

#24 2019-02-25 22:06:35

Booklat1

i think quality of life could come from lathe made tools like watering cans, something to dig potatoes, fire starting items, storage to medical supplies.

i'd also add that a soft nerf to mines and another tier to them would help mitigate the outrageous cost of engines while still keeping it limited

#25 2019-02-25 23:21:18

Tarr
Banned

Booklat1 wrote:

i think quality of life could come from lathe made tools like watering cans, something to dig potatoes, fire starting items, storage to medical supplies.

i'd also add that a soft nerf to mines and another tier to them would help mitigate the outrageous cost of engines while still keeping it limited

Even just having something to make with the newcomen attachments would be fine but that would still just leave oil tech useless for most of the playerbase. I think the main issue is right now there's no reason to invest in the newcomen parts since nothing you can make every pays itself off due to how fast towns die out and what not. I'm fine with mines being upgraded from their collapsed version with some sort of tech too since there's generally enough veins around a town to last longer than the city will anyways.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer