One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-01 14:33:15

soul

PETITION seperate servers for STEAM users

My point is very simple and i think many people who have experience with Steam will agree.
Steam is a toxic place for indie games.
Steam is the place where creative games die, because they are missunderstood.

Now, i know i generelize, but this is true for most of the time.
Imagine the hell that will break out, after the game was sold for 50% off the first time?

Jason, YOU are the one who said it the best way, why this game doas not belong on steam and this is part of the reasen i sympetized with you and bought myself the game.

I reccomend everyone read the article before commenting. It is an interview with Jason.
Please share your opinion on this matter.

ARTICLE: Skipping Steam: Why Jason Rohrer independently distributes One Hour, One Life
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/325 … e_Life.php

PS: i am sorry for my bad english

Last edited by soul (2018-10-01 14:39:49)

#2 2018-10-01 14:38:20

soul

Re: PETITION seperate servers for STEAM users

You can see it the other way around. Server1 for "founders" ONLY. Keeps the major part of griefers out.

#3 2018-10-01 14:57:02

MultiLife

Worst case scenario: Steam community stampedes into the game, leaving wreckage behind while the old players weep over what was lost. Every sale brings over a wave of newbies who stay with the game for few days before leaving, simply straining old players time and again.

Best case scenario: Steam community is just like the current OHOL community but bigger and more ambitious. Servers fill up nicely and nobody runs out of babies, making longer lineages.

Knowing us humans, I'm expecting bad things from the Steam community. So many hackers, bans, toxicity, bad clan mentality, impatient people... the overwhelming boom of newbies is gonna be tough.
But I didn't read the thread about Steam release so I digress. Wouldn't oppose server separation personally. Maybe at least trying it first as a precautious act.

Was there some kind of discussion over the updates the game receives and their distribution in Steam? Hard to imagine these buggy and broken updates being digested well in Steam.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-10-01 15:01:35)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-10-01 15:25:07

JonySky
Website

do not worry multilife, I share your concerns but OHOL is a game for a very specific type of people.

If waves of new players arrive to kill, bother or undo everything we have created ... we will do what we have always done with the griefers ... (kill them, curse them and send them to Donkey Town)

Older players already know all the ways to hurt the game and how to counteract them, we have also experienced very frustrating situations, and we continue to play the game, because we like it, because it is different, original and offers us something that other games do not have. ...

#5 2018-10-01 17:20:05

Stylingirl

Jason wants to launch on steam because currently our player base is not growing. Many players play maybe a couple games a day or drop it for months at a time. We all know the first few weeks will be rough, but that's just what we're going to have to accept. The trolls will eventually get tired, and I hope that we will gain many new players and revitalize the culture of actually teaching players and learning to cooperate.

#6 2018-10-01 18:08:21

Booklat1

Griefers better git gud fast or they'll be massacred.

Noobies are a problem though, as it's hard to deal with tons of kids spam clicking everything and mothers having a billion babies.

#7 2018-10-01 18:39:03

Anshin

Separating the player bases is a bad idea. The tech tree simply isn't big enough yet and the dying off and regrowth of towns is what is giving the game purpose at the moment. The game already has a server selector in the settings menu, and combined with the reflector you can already self-segregate to your hearts content.

#8 2018-10-01 20:28:42

UnnoticedShadow

No support, you would end up creating a noob server, only causing more problems, and anyone who wanted to could go from steam to regular version.

#9 2018-10-01 20:55:35

Rohen

I'd suggest, Jason, that you just "tag" the existing accounts somehow so this can be done on a way if the game becomes unplayable.

#10 2018-10-01 21:01:36

TrustyWay

Since the game is opensource, I rather have steam and independant servers.

People pays for the access of the servers not the game

#11 2018-10-02 01:03:36

pein

gotta be in shooter category xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-10-02 02:04:04

Torston

I'm new myself and already getting irritated by the fools who do things just to Get a rise out of you. I've already seen a lot of towns that looked promising to me die out because a couple bad apples go on killing sprees. I think once you murder another player you should have a permanent (for that life anyway) marker indicating you've killed. as for griefers destroying pens and things really inst much you can do about that.

I am dreading the steam release its gonna be rough initially, but i think after a while you'll have a lot of good players segregating the player bases doesn't sound good. However i wouldn't mind server 1 being for people who bought the game before steam release so much. At least at first until the bad apples of steam drop off.

#13 2018-10-02 03:46:19

Joriom
Website

Stylingirl wrote:

Jason wants to launch on steam because currently our player base is not growing. Many players play maybe a couple games a day or drop it for months at a time.

Let me just remind you all this post:

Jason Rohrer wrote:

The original idea for OHOL was that everyone would get to play a single life, and that was it.  You pay $5 for this insanely amazing hour that you will never forget, and then at the end of it, you say goodbye forever.  Literally ONE LIFE, and only one life.... imagine that game for a minute...

... and also that:

Jason Rohrer wrote:

This is NOT a game that is supposed to be interesting for 100s or 1000s of lives.
[...]
But if you do it over and over and over, hundreds of times.... well, you rub that spot raw, I suppose, and feel nothing at the end of your life anymore.  If you want to keep playing after that, what are you going to get out of the game?

Also more from here:

Jason Rohrer wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

Wait...so I wasn't meant to sink over 100 hours into this game so far? So it's not your intention to make a game you could enjoy over and over? That kind of has me concerned for where the future might go, but I'm definitely still interested.

This is complicated.

The game wasn't designed to support 100 hours of boredom-free play.  100 hours is a lot.

There are a handful of people who have played the game exactly once for exactly one hour.  Getting born, getting taken care of, and living to old age in some village.  And then never playing the game again.  I guess they feel like they got their money's worth in that one precious hour.  I mean, really, that has to be the greatest first hour of video game play ever.

Oh, and even more here:

JasonRohrer wrote:

Imagine the hypothetical version of the game where each person only played the game once.
[...]
That is the underlying theory of the game.  That's it's ideal form.  You play one tiny part in a much larger story.  It doesn't matter if you play one hour or 100 hours, because you learn from your parents and make your little contribution before dying.

Even financially, it would be foolish for me to make a game for those 100+ hour players.  There are currently only 300 of them, making up about 2% of the people who have played the game.

If you're interested in even more information about topic, you might also want to check out this post.

#14 2018-10-02 06:18:50

Baker

I think we should give steam people a chance, It gives the game more exposure and people which is a good thing imo. Maybe they will be an inital spike in griefing but it'll probably die down once they lose interesting, Plus it's a good test for Donkey Town.

The only one life thing is interesting but surely the game would've died out pretty fast. Imagine the rage when your abandoned as a baby.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#15 2018-10-02 08:33:52

gabal

Bigger userbase is better for the game. We have tools to deal with griefers and we will just have to focus more on learning new players. I always ask my babies are they new and yesterday I had a newbie daughter which didn't even know how to tend to berries or how to name children. By the end of my life sve learned to care for berries, carrots, wheat and how to bake pies. She wanted to learn, was attentive and picked up New skills fast. She died of old age and in the end was productive member of society.

I would like to believe we will get influx of such players once steam release happens and it is up to us to turn them into good players who will love this game and create a good healthy playerbase.

#16 2018-10-02 16:28:09

startafight

>assuming ohol doesnt already have a toxic player base
lol jokes aside, itll be the same as before, just on a bigger scale. maybe more players will give smaller civs a chance to live beyond 10~15 generations

#17 2018-10-03 12:11:07

Spiegel

I can already imagine mothers asking, "Are you playing through Steam?" and the answer is damning no matter what. I imagine a Steam-ite would get tired of being abandoned for being so over a week of playing, and would just start abandoning us normies upon finding out who we are. 'Cause you know it's gonna happen.

#18 2018-10-03 18:48:27

Luniatji

I can also imagine people killing the mothers who ask that, because what does it matter..

#19 2018-10-03 21:35:04

Tarr
Banned

I mean everyone knows its going to be bad on release. We're gonna have eves trying to live in the arctic and babies running around looking instead of keeping warm. We were all a bunch of goof balls ourselves at one point whether we like it or not.

I think the influx of players will be good for the long term health of the game but I'm more than certain we're gonna have a few weeks of suck. We already have people who can't take very good care of themselves and with more coming everywhere is gonna be hurting.

Just remember to be kind to the poor new people and at least pretend to be understanding. All we can do is try our best to show them the ropes and after that its in their hands whether they want to grow from there.

fug it’s Tarr.

#20 2018-10-05 08:58:26

Gomez

I've seen games die because of devs splitting player base like this tbh. 

It is strange to see people have a negative view of steam....I'm guessing those people never had to wait in a queue for a download, you think steam is bad should of seen how terrabad downloading games used to be before steam standardized it...smh.

Board footer