One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-26 23:08:36

Matbat

Don't make oven base pens, make adobe half walls.

It doesn't take much more time and you'll spare yourself from me replacing your pens with half wall ones.

Yes, you can cook mutton there, I will accept that, but spare people the grief of laying their eyes apon the horror that is Adobe oven base pens and use the half walls/corners for as much as you can afford in efficiency.

Thank you in advance.

#2 2018-09-26 23:38:04

pein

Re: Don't make oven base pens, make adobe half walls.

well adobe is cheap and so is griefed easy
my new strategy revolves around a 2x2 pen made of 12 adobe, then planting stuff around it and moving parts to make bigger one, first a  3x4, then an 5x5 or 5x6

half adobe walls look bad and people will complete it then you lose 1 adobe moving it
these are placeholders until you make fences or stone walls, roses or chests, so never meant to be permanent, they also decay so it doesnt matter
half walls need stakes, the NS ones look ok, the EW ones are bad

the idea is still the same:get sheep asap and then care about the look of it
if someone spends his half life getting sheep, you can spend a few minutes building a new fence line around it?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-09-27 00:08:50

Anshin

FREE RANGE SHEEP. Seriously. All this pen nonsense over nothing.

#4 2018-09-27 00:11:47

VioletLily

Anshin wrote:

But then you have to pen the carrots...

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-27 00:12:32)

#5 2018-09-27 00:36:56

FounderOne

Just grow carrots indoor, maybe infront of the Smith, so the angry Smith and his big family that is running around the Smith-area can eat carrots while they shout at each other.

This would give a good gif xD

Last edited by FounderOne (2018-09-27 00:46:20)

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#6 2018-09-27 00:42:36

Tarr
Banned

But you already build pens around carrots if you're using teleporters. Free the sheep, cage the carrots.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-09-27 01:34:39

Booklat1

build pens around cities with people and carrots inside pens inside the bigger pen.

#8 2018-09-27 01:38:48

Matbat

pein wrote:

well adobe is cheap and so is griefed easy

I know a single wall broken in a pen opens it to ruin but adobe walls are slightly trickier than ovens to destroy, and with enough people just simply walking by half wall pens people can notice the walls being built up, constant buckets of water being brought over, and a pickaxe laying near it.
If people keep an eye out they can quickly discern if the half wall pen is about to be attacked, and compared to the 1 bucket of water per 10 oven bases that can be griefed half walls are three times stronger against grief requiring both 3 water and quick skills pouring water on walls, without the latter there is a likelihood that the possibility of grief is further reduced.

As for your new pen I personally do not like the pen that requies bushes/farms/items to be spread out in all five directions, it's a huge sock in the nuts to any shepherd and hinders the efficiency  greatly, firstly because being unable to put anything in the five tiles around, secondly if there are farms around it means there are people around leaving stuff on the ground around the farms and/or walls you're using to block sheep.

I agree with perhaps using the adobe for a temporary holding for sheep while bigger pens are built.

Which goes to my last item to the list.
I think we're going to have to go back to making large stone pens, it seems they might be our last bastion of security and effectiveness, until we get a cheap alternative that doesn't make me internally hurl.

Post script

Anshin wrote:

As I sometimes do this for early early thread I will say this can only really work as soon as blades are produced, further on it hurts the shepherd to have to chase sheep/be constantly followed by them/have to round them up after leaving them to get more feed. Any free roaming animals, hostile and neutral, are always a hindrance to a civilizations working efficiency.

Last edited by Matbat (2018-09-27 01:44:18)

#9 2018-09-27 09:02:08

gabal

Dogs could be usefull for this potentially - to heard free-running sheep into a specific area.

#10 2018-09-27 09:53:27

Joriom
Website

Make pens of dead bodies. Like, really.

Board footer